• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya shits all over Kotaku

meta4

Could you point out an instance or two demonstrating his being one of the biggest douches in the industry outside of his Twitter account which he uses to respond (or not respond) to questions and/or post other musings?

I would love to see some examples.

What bigger examples do you need other than his tweets. There are so many tweets of his that are so condescending even when the person asking them has no ill will or secret agenda when asking those questions. I mean he seems to literally club everyone asking him questions on a particular topic as one and insults them equally. It would be far better to ignore if he does not want to talk about it but tweets like "Hey Kamiya I would love it if you were to make X game" and seeing responses such as - "Yeah too bad "or "Fk off" is not what I would call sensible responses. I mean there are far better developers than him who dont have such an attitude.

zroid

Banned
What bigger examples do you need other than his tweets.

The point is they're just meaningless tweets. Being prickly or brusque on Twitter does not make you one of the biggest douches in the industry.

Show me something real. Like from an interview, a speech, whatever. Even a blog post is better than Tweets.

Roto13

What bigger examples do you need other than his tweets. There are so many tweets of his that are so condescending even when the person asking them has no ill will or secret agenda when asking those questions. I mean he seems to literally club everyone asking him questions on a particular topic as one and insults them equally. It would be far better to ignore if he does not want to talk about it but tweets like "Hey Kamiya I would love it if you were to make X game" and seeing responses such as - "Yeah too bad "or "Fk off" is not what I would call sensible responses. I mean there are far better developers than him who dont have such an attitude.

Yeah, no, you're going to have to post some examples because he's perfectly nice to people who aren't idiots.

meta4

The point is they're just meaningless tweets. Being prickly or brusque on Twitter does not make you one of the biggest douches in the industry.

Show me something real. Like from an interview, a speech, whatever. Even a blog post is better than Tweets.

How are tweets meaningless exactly? Do they not reflect his attitude or opinions? I have not read any of his interviews..

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I have the strangest feeling that if this whole incident is not sparked by Kamiya's indifference towards PC gaming, then a whole great deal of people wouldn't be that incensed towards his tweets in the first place--at least not on the level that is being displayed.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So...

Kotaku is now responsible for making Kamiya fans and Steam fans be at war with each other

Yup. One of the biggest one's in the game industry. Unfortunately there are some who are such big sycophant's of his ( bordering on becoming a religious cult) that criticizing him is a travesty.

Yeah.. no.

dat lack of context

Also at least PG has a better genre spread of games :p

I have the strangest feeling that if this whole incident is not sparked by Kamiya's indifference towards PC gaming, then a whole great deal of people wouldn't be that incensed towards his tweets in the first place--at least not on the level that is being displayed.

Definitely, especially with the Valve name-dropping

the chris

EUTHT.jpg

That devilish smile begged for having the phrase.

One of my favorite images involving Kamiya.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't seen any locals state that it is "shocking and unacceptable behavior." Please do point those out. Even if they did mention that, the only thing shocking and unacceptable is all of the クソ馬鹿ぼんくら stuff.
Actually, ironically, if he had just said, "ugh foreigners!" that would have been more racist than the things he did say, because it would indicate that he thinks the word "foreigner" itself carries all the negative implications he was trying to get across - that foreigners are inherently bad. But he didn't. He felt the need to tack on a whole bunch of epithets to modify the word "foreigner" in order to get across the negative feelings. To him, "foreigner" alone didn't convey disapproval.
Thank you.

I asked my wife and a couple of friends (the closest native Japanese people I have to hand) and they expressed a similar reaction. While "gaijin" can have negative connotations when used in the wrong context, it's all the stuff preceding it that's over-the-top or harsh in their eyes.

Obviously a few more personal accounts don't exemplify the whole Japanese mindset, but to all the people saying "omg you guys defending him", maybe we're simply trying to defend/explain a culture we're attempting to integrate into, rather than immediately dismissing it as ignorant and offensive based on some Tweets and translations.

Also, regarding the whole "chewed out by Inaba" thing, I'd like to point out that Inaba himself posted the (rather amusing) exchange between he and Kamiya on his own Twitter feed, suggesting that the whole thing was treated in a lighthearted way. You can take offense to it if you want, and not many will argue that Kamiya is the most polite guy they know, but it's not going to harm him, PG, or the industry. It might harm your perceptions, but everything else is perfectly safe.

Toxi

Banned
Wonderful response to a trash opinion piece.

If you're going to use insults, be prepared to be insulted right back.

Edit: As for the whole "gaijin" thing... I honestly have no clue why it's such an issued or some people in the thread. I could understand if it were a slur for a traditionally oppressed group in Japan the way nigger is used in the United States, but here it's really just used for exasperation at some members of an English speaking foreign audience.

Double edit: Holy shit this thread is two years old.

Top Bottom