• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

New runes shit

This sounds hilarious

They're putting out some interesting runes at least.

Store Credit does sound very interesting.

Yeah. I'm really loooking forward to the whole rune list.

It reminds me of HotS talents but more universal and less unique. Not a bad thing.

"they should do like valve" are words that should never be uttered lol

keys suck but league general business model should be untouched

They should be less like Valve

But I've never liked Leagues business model tbh.

Ok that's going to be broken as fuck, because there's no champion in game that can really deal with that. Spectre from DotA comes to mind, but there are counters to her due to how dealing with terrain works in that game and how more heroes have options.

Newt

They coulda made the debt system so much cooler. They shoulda made it so there was compounding interest or something, and you had to pay a certain annuity every five minutes.

Nope, the designer of this edgelord (DZK) said it's intended to be this way.

Oh sure, Azir was intended to be a highly mobile highly bursty play maker mage, and he got nerfed to the ground and then some.

Kayn may be able to keep his mobility spell, but I'm sure he'll be destroyed and nerfed to the ground sooner or later.

Quonny

Nope, the designer of this edgelord (DZK) said it's intended to be this way.

lol

real fucking stupid

it'd be okay if he just went like out of melee attack range, but that far out so most abilities can't hit you is stupid

also fuck nd5

zkylon

zkylewd
New runes shit

This sounds hilarious

lol that's actually great

rest of the masteries sound kinda boring tho

He was the one who intended Taliyah W to be double cast instead of how it's right now too, right?
idk about intended, i'm sure it's less dictatorial than that and they figured that was the best casting paradigm at the moment

champ designers keep working on the champion for a while after so he was def cool with it being changed to the not stupid system

They should be less like Valve

But I've never liked Leagues business model tbh.

all champs for free obv would've been better but i think they even managed to get some positive points out of charging for champions with easing in new players with free champ rotation and giving the game a sense of progression, so it's not even 100% bad

yeah people vilify him over the Taliyah W thing far too much. He had a hypothesis that vector cast abilities like Rumble ult and Viktor E were unintuitive, based on data and testing. He designed around it, wanted to stick with it for a while and stood by the decision, but eventually made the change folks wanted.

Daniel's a nice dude, he's just passionate about things outside of work in a way people don't like.

also in regards to this, yes it's hilarious but if they had hit him with literally any ability he would be in combat and therefore couldn't be in the wall for more than 1.5 seconds.

yeah people vilify him over the Taliyah W thing far too much. He had a hypothesis that vector cast abilities like Rumble ult and Viktor E were unintuitive, based on data and testing. He designed around it, wanted to stick with it for a while and stood by the decision, but eventually made the change folks wanted.

Daniel's a nice dude, he's just passionate about things outside of work in a way people don't like.

don't get me wrong, I think the wall ghost thing is neat(having played dota 2 and spectre being my favorite character and having tense moments where I can clip through walls), but for League itself, that ability is too strong. There's been a mobility creep, sure, but in this case it's just super strong? Not alot of counters for that in the current meta, and makes Kayn probably one of the safest laners.

As for hitting them, looking at the current line up and thinking of Kayn being top...at the most a Lee's Q or Elises Spit might be able to hit him when it comes to ganking him at top. Maybe Skarners blast, Reksais echo location would probably be the best way to hit him. Either way, it makes him an incredibly safe laner.

Odd you have knowledge of the current meta.

Thinking about it in terms of Kayn using it to clip outside of the map and what can hit him, and if Kayn were to lane top.

If it's one thing League has stayed static on, is who top lanes and their relative abilities when thinking about how far Kayn can clip out of the map.

it's not hard newt

in the end it's all statistics on paper that one can observe and then hypothesize upon on

one of the basic scientific methods

don't get me wrong, I think the wall ghost thing is neat(having played dota 2 and spectre being my favorite character and having tense moments where I can clip through walls), but for League itself, that ability is too strong. There's been a mobility creep, sure, but in this case it's just super strong? Not alot of counters for that in the current meta, and makes Kayn probably one of the safest laners.

As for hitting them, looking at the current line up and thinking of Kayn being top...at the most a Lee's Q or Elises Spit might be able to hit him when it comes to ganking him at top. Maybe Skarners blast, Reksais echo location would probably be the best way to hit him. Either way, it makes him an incredibly safe laner.

I mean, the enemy laner can also just him him when about to be ganked. He's also not a laner, and I don't anticipate him to be good in lane so it's sort of a moot point anyway?

I mean, the enemy laner can also just him him when about to be ganked. He's also not a laner, and I don't anticipate him to be good in lane so it's sort of a moot point anyway?

never say never costy

people never expected Annie to be a support and we went through that phase

people never expected graves to be a good jungler and we went through that phase

Once kayn gets out to the general public, I await to see what comes out of him and if he'll strictly be a jungler or if he'll be able to layn.

firstly fuck you for that pun

I also didn't say never, I just said I don't anticipate him to be a laner. My gut is that if he's a capable laner he's probably too strong and will be changed. I think we're a lot better now at figuring out where a champion fits in and should fit in, with some rare exceptions

in truth I mispelled it because I was thinking about how edgy kayn was and I looked at it and thought 'this is good'

I also didn't say never, I just said I don't anticipate him to be a laner. My gut is that if he's a capable laner he's probably too strong and will be changed. I think we're a lot better now at figuring out where a champion fits in and should fit in, with some rare exceptions

I hope you're right

I do dig his wall ghost ability. Just in certain cases it might be a wee tad strong.

Newt

Thinking about it in terms of Kayn using it to clip outside of the map and what can hit him, and if Kayn were to lane top.

If it's one thing League has stayed static on, is who top lanes and their relative abilities when thinking about how far Kayn can clip out of the map.

it's not hard newt

in the end it's all statistics on paper that one can observe and then hypothesize upon on

one of the basic scientific methods
If Kayn were to lane top he wouldn't be able to even farm due to the current meta.

Ranged tops like Jayce and Kennen would destroy him and he definitely wouldn't fare better against the likes of Galio or Fiora.

He doesn't have very good sustain, he doesn't have ranged waveclear and he doesn't have innate tankiness. He could never be a solo lane threat.

This is the issue with you being so disconnected from the game but still making value judgements.

zkylon

zkylewd
i wonder if honor capsules take the spot of one key drop

cos if that's the case it's just one extra key instead of 2, so it's not that great

yea you can get a skin for twitch or warwick but that doesn't mean anything for me since i don't play either of those champions

but honestly, i don't really care if it's not better for me specifically because i just want honor to fool people into not being shitty people

i eagearly await for people to be fake friendly again, honor v1 release time was the best

yea idk why there's flak to be given, taliyah lasted like two patches with the bad w, it's not like he held onto it for years

ye i disagree 100% with his views on some stuff (not all of them) but he's still one of the most interesting designers at rito

ppl are right to give him shit (as long as it's not harassment) for his views cos that's what you sign up for when you choose to express your opinion online, but ppl often can't separate him as a person and a designer and condemn one over what the other did

also in regards to this, yes it's hilarious but if they had hit him with literally any ability he would be in combat and therefore couldn't be in the wall for more than 1.5 seconds.
most importantly that's broken and gonna be fixed i'm sure

bgbball31

I know there is a way to look at this and feel good, when in my promos to gold I'm up against 3 gold IV players, but it is annoying because all I want is is get to gold.

All well, 2-1 currently in series. Lost that last game as Varus against Draven/Leona. Was actually ahead in lane by getting a kill early, but the rest of my team struggled and their mid laner got a triple kill when all five roamed bot. It was over from there.

I honestly am not sure what makes runes different from masteries anymore. These new runes aren't basic stats, but are interactive stuff that you'd expect from masteries. A rune is a mastery. Slotting multiple of the same runes is putting points onto the same mastery.

Why not combine them into one a day simplify the pre lobby process altogether? That way, we only need to edit one setup before a match begins.

zkylon

zkylewd
I know there is a way to look at this and feel good, when in my promos to gold I'm up against 3 gold IV players, but it is annoying because all I want is is get to gold.

All well, 2-1 currently in series. Lost that last game as Varus against Draven/Leona. Was actually ahead in lane by getting a kill early, but the rest of my team struggled and their mid laner got a triple kill when all five roamed bot. It was over from there.
ranking doesn't really matter, mmr does

those g4 players might be higher rank than you but they're the same mmr so it's not really a disadvantage

that's not correct 100% of the times but generally it is

I honestly am not sure what makes runes different from masteries anymore. These new runes aren't basic stats, but are stuff that you'd expect from masteries. A rune is a mastery. Slotting multiple of the same runes is putting points onto the same mastery.
nah, i think ur confusing yourself.

go back to zero

there are no more masteries and runes anymore (under the new system)

new system is basically rune slots that you fill with masteries (now called runes), and you can only equip runes out of the tree you've chosen. i'm also pretty sure you won't be able to pick the same rune twice, that just doesn't sound like something they would do.

then you do the same again for a minor tree, which has less rune slots

you also get some stat boosts according to the tree you've chosen (magic tree might give u ap, etc.)

that's about it

I honestly am not sure what makes runes different from masteries anymore. These new runes aren't basic stats, but are interactive stuff that you'd expect from masteries. A rune is a mastery. Slotting multiple of the same runes is putting points onto the same mastery.

Why not combine them into one a day simplify the pre lobby process altogether? That way, we only need to edit one setup before a match begins.

that is what we're doing. Pretty sure it was explained multiples times that Runes Reforged replaces runes and masteries

bgbball31

ranking doesn't really matter, mmr does

those g4 players might be higher rank than you but they're the same mmr so it's not really a disadvantage

that's not correct 100% of the times but generally it is

That's why I said there is a good way to look at it... I could just have a high MMR for where I am :)

zkylon

zkylewd
honestly i don't get why that runes post was even made

it's like got only one thing worth talking about which is the crazy loan rune and then the rest is like more of what we already knew

i really look forward to not having to rush for mastery pages tho, that part of champion select is the worst

That's why I said there is a good way to look at it... I could just have a high MMR for where I am :)

ye if you're steadily climbing then you have higher mmr and should just go up with some patience

bgbball31

I made a huge mistake bot lane early, but ended up 9/6/20 on Varus and got to gold. Thank goodness that is over! Now to decide whether to try to push forward at all. Last year I stopped at Gold V 0 LP because I just wanted the skin. But, I'm feeling like I might be able to climb right now.

Skipped a division (was bronze 3) and now I'm in bronze 1 after picking up the AD role.I know, I'm awful at the game still, but I'm climbing! Hopefully I can get to my season 6 rank before this season ends. I had ended the previous season at Silver 3 being a support main.

lFry3rv.png

zkylon

zkylewd
I made a huge mistake bot lane early, but ended up 9/6/20 on Varus and got to gold. Thank goodness that is over! Now to decide whether to try to push forward at all. Last year I stopped at Gold V 0 LP because I just wanted the skin. But, I'm feeling like I might be able to climb right now.

congrats

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

join me
in the quest for masters

JulianImp

Regarding the honor update, I'm really glad they're moving key fragments away from only dopping on games you win, since that means you can still get sort-of-happy you got 1/3 of a key even though you were on the losing side, as opposed to losing and knowing you had no chance of getting anything because random drops only happen to the winning team.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I have 20 boxes and I can never get enough keys...where is the solution to that....

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
pls you get key fragments for 40 tokens with this event

so a whole key for only 120 tokens

:^)

I have not been on top of doing the quests but it seems like the thing to spend tokens on is the Orb anyways.

zkylon

zkylewd
yea i have like 20 useless chests

system is kinda broken i feel

also is honor a sr thing only? it didn't show on my aram post game

JulianImp

I have 20 boxes and I can never get enough keys...where is the solution to that....

yea i have like 20 useless chests

system is kinda broken i feel

also is honor a sr thing only? it didn't show on my aram post game

Meanwhile, I have a full key that's been sitting on my loot hoard for about two and a half months, on top of a second key and one fragment I've gotten since then that I still haven't been able to use because I've already gotten boxes for the few champs I'm good enough at to get S-ranks on, as well as a couple champs I got lucky with and got an S on during the ARURF weekends (such as Zac and Ivern)...

This is one thing I really don't like about Riot's design ideas. Pigeonholing a champ into a role and saying "fuck, guess we gotta change em" if they prove to be viable or capable (not OP, not busted AF like say Malz Support was when it was a thing) in a role other than what they were designed for.

I mean, I'd fucking love to play some JG champs but I have no interest in JG and their kits make them poop in lane (Top Vi will remain a dream ... she's too damn weak before getting her levels to lane) which is why I hate it when they release a new JG champ. Unless it's a solo laner it seems like it's basically hard-pushed to be in line with it's role where as tops and mids can "Jg!" or "Support!" if they really want to in many cases.

If Kayn were to lane top he wouldn't be able to even farm due to the current meta.

Ranged tops like Jayce and Kennen would destroy him and he definitely wouldn't fare better against the likes of Galio or Fiora.

He doesn't have very good sustain, he doesn't have ranged waveclear and he doesn't have innate tankiness. He could never be a solo lane threat.

This is the issue with you being so disconnected from the game but still making value judgements.

I think it's all a matter of perspective.
At higher elo's Galio's strong because players are smarter/ better and know how to play with a good tank on their team. But a tank that demands their team follow them into battle will be shit if their team's too stupid to know when and where to do certain things. Fiora's a busted AF champ and it's a blight on the dev's team that they allow her to be like this but at lower ranks she sucks cause the players playing her suck.

And people playing ranged champs often fall behind in CS fast cause they seem more focused on abusing the ranged harass than practicing farming in lower ratings.

Will he be a decent laner in higher elo play? IDK ... I mean, you can make anything work TOP. There's a D2 Raka TOP OTP streamer. One of my favorite streamers was a Zac TOP OTP who ran ignite/ flash before his rework apparently made his laning shit. Hashinshin use to non-stop play WW top.

I know damn well I'm taking him top in my wood rank games.

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel like that play arams mission brought a lot of nasty people into arams

You can always buy keys with money, so it's working exactly as intended.

Unfortunately.
i wonder how well those things sell

the value you get is really bad but it's dirt cheap so ppl get fooled into buying it so who knows

Top Bottom