• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

Is £40 worth it for P3P and Persona 2? I'm on the fence, I want to play P3P really badly but getting it on it's own is £28 :/

If you're happy to spend that much, then certainly they're worth that. The cost is essentially the price of a full RRP Vita title - only they're each better individually than any of the Vita launch titles :p

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think based on reading this thread I'm going to go ahead with Ys: The Oath in Felghana

I was a big fan of JRPG when I was younger, but the last 10 years all I've associated with JRPG are emo and loli protagonists.

That's why YS: The Oath sounds great. It's a silent protagonist, so he can't be emo and the game has no party members so they can't be loli.
Perfect JRPG for me.

Any other recommendations for me, given the above criteria?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't want to buy all of my PSP games again just to play them on my Vita :(

Man this sucks.

TheExodu5

Banned
All three Ys games worth playing on the PSP (I'd get Ark of Napishtim elsewhere if possible, like the PC version if XSEED manages to release that since it's by far the best) are very different, and all of them have their own strengths and weaknesses. So if you end up not liking whatever game you start with or have some complaints, it's still likely that you would like one or both of the other games. Ys as a whole is pretty much the opposite of Trails in the Sky in most ways. Fast paced action vs slow turn-based combat, emphasis on combat vs emphasis on story, shorter games vs long games, etc.

Others have covered the differences pretty well. Seven has some more traditional RPG measures thrown in like upgradable skills, lots of weapons to find and buy, a crafting system, etc. It's also significantly easier than both Oath in Felghana and Chronicles, and it's the only game where you have multiple playable characters. It's long, there's more text and story than most Ys games, and admitted this does get in the way toward the beginning. But once you're an hour or so in things are good until the last third or fourth of the game when it does drag a bit. Still, it's very fun to play despite those niggles, and works pretty well as a "My first Ys" type game.

Oath in Felghana is the better game on most counts, but it's tougher. Jumping means some platforming elements, no party members, less micromanagement, and lots of focus on some great dungeon designs and action. It's short and to the point, the story isn't great, but it's not very intrusive. This and Ys Origin (which plays very similarly) are my two favorite Ys games, and probably break my all time top-10 favorite games list.

Chronicles is old school and a bit archaic, but I wouldn't change a thing about it. No attack button for melee attacks, but Ys II does have a button to fire magic, instead you tactically ram into enemies to hit them. Not very story heavy and super cliche, but that's about what you would expect out of a game from the mid-late 80s. Ys I is kind of meh, but it's short with an old school challenge. Ys II is fantastic though, and probably my third favorite game in the series. Overall it's just a really charming, old-school experience.

As for Trails, yeah, it's pretty slow for the first half of the game. But damn if the second half isn't excellent. If SC and beyond follow in the footsteps the second half of Trails FC, this is certainly one of the best RPG series out there. Not that the beginning of the game is kind of bad, it just doesn't really motivate you with a "big story" like most RPGs do and as a result it causes some people to find it boring. But the events at the beginning of the game are still important, the game does a great job tying everything together.

Thanks for the response. And as to the bolded...high difficulty in a JRPG is a huge selling point for me. 95% of JRPGs I've played are cakewalks.

I tried TiTS yesterday, I hope it gets a lot better because so far it's fucking dire, plays like a copypasta of every low-budget Japanese RPG that has ever been released.

How do you mean?

I've only played for an hour or so, so I may change my mind but so far we have the stereotypical tomboy who hits boys when she gets mad, the adopted child who has a secret past which will lead to trouble later on in the game. I will take a wild guess that the either the father or this 'Scherza' lady dies somewhere along the way too. The battle system is nothing special, a basic run of the mill affair... I'm not seeing anything great about it so far.

issue is....
I'm getting tired of double na, triple dipping...

disgaea1.. i have it for ps2, ds, psp umd
disgaea2.. i have it for ps2, psp umd
dissidia ... got if for psp umd
fft... got it for psx, psnPsx, psp umd.....
knights in nightmare.. got it for ds and psp
trails.. got it for psp umd
persona2 is.. got it for psx (jap) and umd eng
persona3.. got it for ps2, got the "expansion+original" for ps2, got it for psp umd....
persona.. got it for psx, psp umd
phantom brave.. got it for ps2 and wii
riviera.. got it for ds, psp umd
tactics ogre.. got it for psp umd
wild arms xf.. got it for psp umd
yggdra.. got it for psp umd
hexyz.. got if for psp umd..
jeanne d'arc.. got it for psp umd
ys.. got every one for psp umd..
valkyria got umd..
bof3 got it for psx, psnPsx, and psp umd

so no offense sony, but i should frigging get those for free considering that i'd triple dip for most, double dip for a few, four-dip two....
<_>
jeebus christ

injurai

Banned
issue is....

persona3.. got it for ps2, got the "expansion+original" for ps2, got it for psp umd....
valkyria got umd..

so no offense sony, but i should frigging get those for free considering that i'd triple dip for most, double dip for a few, four-dip two....
<_>
jeebus christ

What are you seriously considering buy some of those for the 4th time just to play them on vita. If I were you I would just return to them on their original system and go for the new games.

Aeana

I've only played for an hour or so, so I may change my mind but so far we have the stereotypical tomboy who hits boys when she gets mad, the adopted child who has a secret past which will lead to trouble later on in the game. I will take a wild guess that the either the father or this 'Scherza' lady dies somewhere along the way too. The battle system is nothing special, a basic run of the mill affair... I'm not seeing anything great about it so far.

Well, I think the battle system is unique enough. I've certainly not played very many turn-based RPGs where positioning is both controllable and matters so much. Plus the turn bonus system is pretty cool.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The second you say you've only played an hour of an rpg, you discredit yourself. These kinds if games deserve the chance to sell themselves and 1 hour is simply not enough for TitS to fets its hooks in.

Skilletor

issue is....

valkyria got umd..

<_>
jeebus christ

Why are you buying the same game so many times? lol

The second you say you've only played an hour of an rpg, you discredit yourself. These kinds if games deserve the chance to sell themselves.

Screw that noise. I play games to have fun. If I'm not having fun immediately, there's something else that will offer me the opportunity. The only reason I'm giving TitS a chance is because I'm only playing it in really short bursts and people keep saying it gets better. Otherwise I'd be on to the next one.

What are you seriously considering buy some of those for the 4th time just to play them on vita. If I were you I would just return to them on their original system and go for the new games.
because persona is so very peculier i always enjoy it..
because if i could play on vita dds, i'm quite sure that i could count on a single-hand how many vita/psp rpg could ever manage to top it..
same applies for fft and tactics ogre....
and to some games on that list :/

because persona is so very peculier i always enjoy it..
because if i could play on vita dds, i'm quite sure that i could count on a single-hand how many vita/psp rpg could ever manage to top it..
same applies for fft and tactics ogre....
and to some games on that list :/
then it's a special case .. and just rebuy them all. BUt imo juts because you've played a GREAT game , it should prevent you from enjoying "good" games if you see what i mean

Screw that noise. I play games to have fun. If I'm not having fun immediately, there's something else that will offer me the opportunity. The only reason I'm giving TitS a chance is because I'm only playing it in really short bursts and people keep saying it gets better. Otherwise I'd be on to the next one.

i find it hard to understand all the mecanics of a game like an rpg in a hour , when in the jrpgs case you won't have everything right away...
most of them are lenghty and take their time to gain their momentum

turnbuckle

I've picked up
Trails in the Sky
FFIV
Half Minute Hero
Ys: The Oath in Felghana

I would've had my wallet slaughtered even more if the Persona games were at least $10 (preferrably $15) off.

scy

I don't want to buy all of my PSP games again just to play them on my Vita :(

Man this sucks.

I'm rebuying most of my PSP backlog. And then games I just want to play again on the Vita.

Oh well. I'm going to need a bigger card...

Theonik

Actually, all Ys games (Chronicles, 7 and Oath in Felghana) are available on the European Playstation Store. But you probably have to buy them through PS3/PSP/Media Go.
Yeah I was looking through Vita itself. Chronicles still doesn't work regardless right?

Venfayth

I've been playing P3P since I got my Vita - I have to say that it's by far worth the $40.

But that's as someone who has played P4 many times over.

Theonik

According to this page, the Japanese version works on the Vita. Not sure about the English version though, since already have the UMD version (and no Vita yet).
From another thread there seemed to be conflicting reports with its compatibility. Older PSN versions worked but the current one didn't and people could buy it twice. Some weird bug by all accounts. Seeing as I only have a Vita I would hate to buy it only to discover it won't work.

Ryn

Augh, I need to get my paycheck so I can start collecting some of these games for my Vita. Since I've never had a psp I haven't played any of these :eek:. Very helpful thread!

So, after trying a few PSP games on the Vita and seeing how amazing they look, I intend to build up quite the backlog of awesome PSP RPG gaming.

Just picked up Ys: Oath; will get Ys Seven and Chronicles soon.

God, I wish Lenneth was on here.

EmreBFG

The second you say you've only played an hour of an rpg, you discredit yourself. These kinds if games deserve the chance to sell themselves and 1 hour is simply not enough for TitS to fets its hooks in.

True. I haven't played Trails in the Sky but even the RPG greats like FF6 and Chrono Trigger didn't start off with a bang. It takes a lot longer than an hour to start to get a well-rounded impression of the game.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't see the issue with putting down a game after an hour. If you don't see potential from the first hour, I think it's fair to put it down.

Netto-kun

From another thread there seemed to be conflicting reports with its compatibility. Older PSN versions worked but the current one didn't and people could buy it twice. Some weird bug by all accounts. Seeing as I only have a Vita I would hate to buy it only to discover it won't work.
Ah, I was looking through Xseed and GameFAQs forums myself. As you already mentioned, there are mixed reports on whether the game (old and new PSN version) works or not. Better to hold off with buying Chronicles until Sony has fixed this weird issue.

tokkun

The game does not set out to shatter JRPG genre conventions. If that's what you're looking for, it's probably not the game for you.

TheExodu5

Banned
True. I haven't played Trails in the Sky but even the RPG greats like FF6 and Chrono Trigger didn't start off with a bang. It takes a lot longer than an hour to start to get a well-rounded impression of the game.

Final Fantasy VI started out with a pretty big bang, at least as far as story goes.

Rootbeer

Banned
Ha, why is the Prologus in there? It'd be hilarious if that won.

It would SUCK if it won cause it's the least expensive contender, so the discount would be wimpy :(

Frankly since I don't own any of those 3 I'll buy whatever wins, guaranteed! :)

As for PSOne *PLEASE* vote xenogears guys!!! the PSOne CT port is not that great, but XENOGEARS is going to be awesome on the vita once PSOne support is patched in! Be sure to vote.

fatty

I hear you, but...I will just say this. I was pretty deep in on FFXII (over 20 hours) and just wasn't really feeling it and was about to call it quits. It wasn't that it was 'bad' but I felt I was kind of just going through the motions. I'm glad I stuck with it though, because it turned out to be one of the best FF's that I've played.

I understand where you're coming from, and can't blame you. Though I would typically recommend to give RPGs a little more than a couple of hours to develop. Haven't played TitS, so can't give any other thoughts specifically on it.

TheExodu5

Banned
So Disgaea 1 or 2 for starters.

Like I said, 1 for story, 2 for gameplay.

If you don't plan on doing any of the post-game stuff (leveling to 9999, etc...) then go with 1. 1 is missing some nice features from 2, but people seem to really dislike 2's story by comparison (I didn't mind it all that much).

Like I said, 1 for story, 2 for gameplay.

If you don't plan on doing any of the post-game stuff (leveling to 9999, etc...) then go with 1. 1 is missing some nice features from 2, but people seem to really dislike 2's story by comparison (I didn't mind it all that much).

Thank again. Must this before.

Skilletor

I hear you, but...I will just say this. I was pretty deep in on FFXII (over 20 hours) and just wasn't really feeling it and was about to call it quits. It wasn't that it was 'bad' but I felt I was kind of just going through the motions. I'm glad I stuck with it though, because it turned out to be one of the best FF's that I've played.

I understand where you're coming from, and can't blame you. Though I would typically recommend to give RPGs a little more than a couple of hours to develop. Haven't played TitS, so can't give any other thoughts specifically on it.

I am. :)

I usually do with RPGs. Hell, I played FF13 until Chapter 11 before giving it up. I just don't like people saying, "You have to give a game more time."

Nope, I don't. Other games are fun now. I'll go play those.

I don't see the issue with putting down a game after an hour. If you don't see potential from the first hour, I think it's fair to put it down.

This.

injurai

Banned
So I got FFT: War of the Lions in that code grab. But Is Tactics Ogre, and Jeanne D'arc better to the point I should also grab them? Trying to get a read on what is more or less considered king.

if you're coming into trails expecting epics like Final Fantasy, Xenogears, or Chrono Trigger etc where the fate of the whole world rest in your hands than you'll be disappointed. I've been saying that Trails is more like Lunar or Grandia, light hearted story, it also felt like a small part of a bigger story. you don't even travel the whole planet like FF and CT. there are darker tone near the end, but it's mostly a set up for the next game.

and the characters are stereotypes, but they're fun characters with their own quirks, and later they do become their own characters, and even though you assume it's filled with cliches, I've got my fair share of surprises and engaged by the story that keep pushing me to keep playing.

zinder

Thanks for this thread! Debating on which RPG I should pick up next for my Vita after I am done with Ys Seven (excellent game btw).

I want to play Persona 3 Portable more than anything because it's so unique and it's safe to say Persona 4 Golden is coming in NA. But the pricetag really turns me off :/

Leaning towards Disgaea 1 right now.

Top Bottom