• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Uh...two years or thereabouts of development isn't anything special.

True, but the main reason I said that was because of how much time has passed since DMC4 and the amount of stuff that's happened since then. The team coming off of Dragon's Dogma, Bayonetta, Souls series, reboot, etc.

Dahbomb

True, but the main reason I said that was because of how much time has passed since DMC4 and the amount of stuff that's happened since then. The team coming off of Dragon's Dogma, Bayonetta, Souls series, reboot, etc.
But they haven't actually been working on the game since DMC4.

The maximum time for DMC5 is right after Dark Arisen expansion as far as Itsuno's timeline is concerned. And that's assuming that he was concurrently working on DMC5 alongside DMC4SE. 2013 was when that was released, it's 2017 now so we are talking maximum 4 years in development.

Realistically it's like 2.5-3 years of actual development time. That's not that much time to create an ambitious title.

I think it's fairest to consider some of the stuff in DMC4SE to also be essentially a concept testbed for DMC5 ideas (that is to say, that DMC5 wasn't being developed concurrently with DMC4SE, but DMC4SE was a way to beta test some design ideas).

If there's a consistent design philosophy to be found in DMC4SE's Vergil/Trish/Lady that isn't necessarily present in Nero/Dante, it's that the three new characters are much better equipped for (or even designed around) crowd control.

MBS

Banned
We don't actually know how long it has been in development. I have been hearing about DMC5 in development since before DMC4SE's announcement. Of course what matters is the actual development time of relevant content, not pre-design stuff. For all we know full scale development started last year once they ironed out the details and stuff.

DMC4 was in development for 5+ years technically but it looked like the final product was worked on in half the amount of time. The rest of the time was spent on pre-design that was thrown in the way side or time spent converting DMC4 into multiple platforms.

We almost know, given the fact that they started development on DMC4 right after DMC3 that was released two years after DMC2. The first reveal was in TGS 2006 (that megaton that day, holy shit) with a late 2007 date that was later pushed back to Q1 2008. The 2-3 years dev cycle is the norm since DMC1. DMC5's development has probably started right after DMC4SE.

I think it's fairest to consider some of the stuff in DMC4SE to also be essentially a concept testbed for DMC5 ideas (that is to say, that DMC5 wasn't being developed concurrently with DMC4SE, but DMC4SE was a way to beta test some design ideas).

If there's a consistent design philosophy to be found in DMC4SE's Vergil/Trish/Lady that isn't necessarily present in Nero/Dante, it's that the three new characters are much better equipped for (or even designed around) crowd control.

SE was just an opportunity for Capcom to milk the game on this gen's consoles and for Itsuno's team to become familiar with the current hardware. The fact that they have spend budget on extra cutscenes/dialog/motion capture and a whole brand new JP dub, is definitely a sign for something far beyond than just another simple re-release.

But they haven't actually been working on the game since DMC4.

The maximum time for DMC5 is right after Dark Arisen expansion as far as Itsuno's timeline is concerned. And that's assuming that he was concurrently working on DMC5 alongside DMC4SE. 2013 was when that was released, it's 2017 now so we are talking maximum 4 years in development.

Realistically it's like 2.5-3 years of actual development time. That's not that much time to create an ambitious title.

Oh I get you now.

Even if the game hasn't been in development for a very long time, the fact is that the market and industry is much much different than 2008. We are living in a post Soulsborne/Bayonetta/etc world and I do think that Itsuno and co have considered where the industry currently is and what are people's expectations from action games, when they were deciding on the direction of DMC5.

So, I expect to see some big changes nonetheless.

Before the announcement at PSX we're gonna see Western localizations of Yakuza Kenzan and Ishin, Shenmue 1 + 2 HD, Medievil remake, Crash Team Racing remake, a re-reveal of Tarsier Studio's canceled City of Metronome which is actually coming out, an Alundra 3 by Matrix Software, Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold + 3 HD Online, and a reveal that Garou 2 is actually being finished and coming out on PS4 and PC.
You jest, but I've played Ishin and I can promise you, that game will blow away a lot of people. It is that damn good. Though, unfortunately I don't see them going back and localizing that.

Dahbomb

We are also living in a post DLC, microtransaction, stamina bars, VR and F2P era.

giphy.gif

Sesha

Itsuno timeline is roughly

2008 - 2012 - Dragon's Dogma
2009 - 2013 - DmC (Supervising director)
2013 - 2015 - DMC4SE
2015 - 2017 - DMC5?

He's pretty much been busy with something since DMC4. It's possible he started on his current project while working on DMC4SE, like he did with DMC3SE and DMC4.

You jest, but I've played Ishin and I can promise you, that game will blow away a lot of people. It is that damn good. Though, unfortunately I don't see them going back and localizing that.

I know. I've played the demo for Kenzan, which was pretty cool.

We are also living in a post DLC, microtransaction, stamina bars, VR and F2P era.

This is a massive part of why I want the running-missions-out-of-a-shop concept for DMC5 - it provides an easy framework for (frankly, lots of) DLC to fit into without just creating a traditional linear game and then chopping a big chunk out of it so it feels incomplete (which still happens too goddamn often).

Shadoken

Itsuno timeline is roughly

2008 - 2012 - Dragon's Dogma
2009 - 2013 - DmC (Supervising director)
2013 - 2015 - DMC4SE
2015 - 2017 - DMC5?

He's pretty much been busy with something since DMC4. It's possible he started on his current project while working on DMC4SE, like he did with DMC3SE and DMC4.l.

Isnt that a bit tooo generous for DMC4SE? 2 years?

Did he work on Dragons dogma online at all?

Sesha

Isnt that a bit tooo generous for DMC4SE? 2 years?

Did he work on Dragons dogma online at all?

DMC4SE was in development for over a year. We don't know exactly when they started, so I put 2013 in there assuming he started late 2013 or early 2014. Like I said, rough timeline.

Dragon's Dogma outselling all of Itsuno's DMCs combined on steam...
True,but missing from those numbers is DMC4 vanilla was for Windows and not on steam for a while.. I remember because I had that copy..

So a bulk of original DMC4 sales won't be included in those figures.

BadWolf

True,but missing from those numbers is DMC4 vanilla was for Windows and not on steam for a while.. I remember because I had that copy..

So a bulk of original DMC4 sales won't be included in those figures.

Good point.

Still nice to see DD do well. It's at about 3.2 million sales total now, wonder if the PC and the incoming PS4/X1 versions will help push it to over 4 million.

Dahbomb

DmC out sold all the DMC games on Steam combined. Beat out Dragon's Dogma and ever single RE game except for RE6 which isn't too far off either. In fact, it's the second highest selling game that Capcom has on Steam. That is no joke no matter how you look at it (even factoring in bundles because it's not like all those other Capcom games haven't been part of bundles).

But again, especially in the case for DMC4 most of its copies were sold on GFW. I still have the GFW version of DMC4 and many other Capcom games from that generation like RE5, SF4 and LP2.

BadWolf

DmC out sold all the DMC games on Steam combined. Beat out Dragon's Dogma and ever single RE game except for RE6 which isn't too far off either. In fact, it's the second highest selling game that Capcom has on Steam. That is no joke no matter how you look at it (even factoring in bundles because it's not like all those other Capcom games haven't been part of bundles).

But again, especially in the case for DMC4 most of its copies were sold on GFW. I still have the GFW version of DMC4 and many other Capcom games from that generation like RE5, SF4 and LP2.

DmC did really well on PC for a DMC but when it comes to DD it's not really fair to compare.

DmC has been on steam for 4.5 years, DD is closing in fast despite being released a year and a half ago.

Dahbomb

DD's numbers are impressive no lie. Especially when the PC version came quite a bit after the main release.

If this was any other company, we would've had two mainline DMCs + DmC sequel and a mainline DD game already.

I just saw the entire NPD chart for the month of May and holy shit, Nier is still holding on:
18. Nier: Automata

Not only that but it even charted in NA PSN sells for May.
13. NieR: Automata

I know Nier isn't an entirely action stylish game and has many RPG elements coupled with an amazing cast and story, but man, I think this shows (to some degree) how fucking thirsty people are for some good action games.

If Capcom doesn't fuck up DMC5, it might have the chance to be a pretty big success. Just don't fuck this one up Capcom, come on.

Dahbomb

Right now DMC5's biggest enemy is Capcom themselves. They keep screwing up their fighters and there is already crossover between fighters and DMC.

Otherwise people are thirsty for a DMC game.

Sesha

DmC has been Humble Bundled at least twice, and was on the lowest tiers each time. Its Steam numbers are inflated by at least 200k.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DmC has been Humble Bundled at least twice. Its Steam numbers are inflated by at least 200k.

Yup. They have, on multiple occasions, given out DmC for pretty much pocket change and bundled with other games, which means people may not have even been intending to purchase it.

Is there a reason why they removed the line "Donkey Punch" from the Succubus fight in DmC? I mean, the rest of the thing still goes along with the whole "Dante is brutally murdering a date" with the whole "You're just too clingy", "you're dumped", "your prom date you ugly sack of shit", etc. I'm not screaming "censorship" or anything, it just seems weird that that was what they felt needed to be taken out.

Golnei

I think it'd more have been a tone thing rather than being too suggestive - like Vergil's fedora, or 'the world is at last your bitch, as am I". I guess they thought it was an example of the obnoxiousness people disliked about the original, and improved the scene by its removal?

True, but then they left in the "I like it rough" quip to Kat and the whole Lilith/Demon Baby thing and a ton of "Whore" lines. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But seriously, what were they even going for with the fedora and blue gloves?

3622096-9288257213-vergi.png

He legit looks like a dork.

I just saw the entire NPD chart for the month of May and holy shit, Nier is still holding on:

Not only that but it even charted in NA PSN sells for May.

I know Nier isn't an entirely action stylish game and has many RPG elements coupled with an amazing cast and story, but man, I think this shows (to some degree) how fucking thirsty people are for some good action games.

If Capcom doesn't fuck up DMC5, it might have the chance to be a pretty big success. Just don't fuck this one up Capcom, come on.

I think for a while last gen there was a seeming consensus that the entire stylish character action genre was dying (based largely on the lackluster sales performance of DmC and of plenty of Platinum games), but it's good to see that the truth may be a little bit more complicated than that.

I think for a while last gen there was a seeming consensus that the entire stylish character action genre was dying (based largely on the lackluster sales performance of DmC and of plenty of Platinum games), but it's good to see that the truth may be a little bit more complicated than that.
Yep.

Now all we need is for someone to actually release a stylish action game and prove that the genre isn't dead yet.

I always thought a good idea would to have DMC 5 be post DMC 2

Dante is "lost" in hell (where he went at the end of DMC 2)

and remember the part where Lucy is in the house, and she hears the motorcycle thinking Dante returned, well actually it's Nero with his motorcycle sword fighting enemies

DMC 5 being Nero with Lucy searching for Dante in hell

Dahbomb

Yeah but then Capcom would have to tackle the canon of DMC2 and they want to be as far away from that as possible.

Based on them saying DMC2 takes place far, far into the future... Nero probably middle aged man, maybe has a kid of his own by then.

Sesha

I think DMC2 is as non-canon as it can be without them declaring it.

Adressing it would mean following up on a plot from 14+ years ago. DMC4 meanwhile is fresher in people's minds, especially with 4SE having released just two years ago. I would imagine there's more demand to follow up on Dante and Nero after 4 than after 2. And Itsuno and team are probably more interested in following up on 4 as well. A lot of the 3 and 4 team members didn't even work on 2. Nero is "theirs", so to speak, while most if not all of them had no hand in Lucia's creation.

---

In other news, Capcom presented their Q1 financial results today. Nothing DMC-related.

---

Lastly, I thought this was interesting. Ya'll might remember this guy: https://twitter.com/junya_kumabe?lang=en

He worked on DMC4SE as a planner. Starting April 2015 he started tweeting DMC4SE-related stuff. After release, he tweeted and retweeted a bunch of DMC stuff, including combo videos. Most recently he retweeted a DMC5 rumor and Itsuno's tweet from late last year, both on the same day.

Kumabe worked on Dragon's Dogma as an Objects Quest Lead, as well as being a planner on DMC4SE. Most likely he'd be working under Itsuno again on whatever he's working on now.

Sesha

We are a little over a month away from TGS. Any predictions if Itsuno will reveal his project at TGS?

I predict Kobayashi will be there at Sony's stage to announce DMC x Dir en Grey the VR experience, which everyone will think is Itsuno's project.

Top Bottom