• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles you've regretted buying?

PowderedToast

none really, but this generation has definitely been weaker than the last three. the PS3 library is mediocre in comparison to it's predecessors. the wii has some wonderful gems though.

RSP

At the time? Dreamcast. Should have went with the PS2 instead ...

Not because there weren't enough good games, just because the PS2 had a whole lot more of them :)

Raptomex

I'm starting to think my PS3. I really only got one for Twisted Metal but it's only other cool feature (blu-ray player) is starting to act up. My movies just pause and skip ahead. Doesn't happen all the time but its aggrevating. I use it more as a blu-ray player than anything else.

TurboGrafx 16 when I was 10. I sold all of NES games for it through FuncoLands ad in the back of some old gaming magazine. Got my money, went right out and got a TG16. Owned it for a weeked, realized that it was just a flashier NES, and went right back out and returned it and got a Genesis. SNES was coming out 2 weeks later.

Shouldve waited..

bradido

The Gameboy Advance with no backlight. You had to be sitting on the sun to see anything.

However, clamshell Gameboy Advance with backlight = best system ever.

Meier

I can't say I've regretted any of them. The Wii on the whole is a massive, massive disappointment for me but it's not like $250 is that much money in the grand scheme of things and I had some good times with it. My fiancee enjoyed Wii Sports, EA Active, etc. and got her Animal Crossing fix on it in addition to my own enjoyment of a variety of games.

If you end up playing 1 or 2 exclusive games and really enjoying it, I'd say any console you've bought was worth it.

No current gen? Bah and I so wanted to vent about PS3, now I don't even use it to play BRs any more (dedicated player is less noisy).

Other than that, not a whole lot:
Atari 7800
Atari Lynx
Mega Drive 32X (does that count?)

I had fun with the "loser" consoles like Saturn, DC, GC, GG, they all had worthwhile games.

edeo

XBox 360

Even the Wii has standout games with the Mario Galaxy games and Smash Bros. Rhythm Heaven Fever was a great surprise.

Xbox has Gears/Halo which I don't care about. The only reason I got one was for Lost Odyssey and Castle Crashers. LO turned out to be a hackneyed cheesy bore. Castle Crashers came to PSN. If you were limited to just 1 console I simply don't see the appeal.

PSP, Gamecube. Wouldn't say regret, that's a strong word, but I only bought them to play a few games. They didn't get much use beyond that.

edeo

The PSP was pretty bad. UMDs are the worst type of media I've ever used. Big, clunky, inelegant, noisy.

I dodged a bullet with avoiding the 3DS. The only game I have any interest in is 3D Land. But I've heard it's a watered down Galaxy.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Seriously? Wow, I use mine nearly every day. :\

I use my Xbox almost daily. Just don't have many friends with a PS3, so I always get multiplatform titles on 360.

I own about 20 exclusive PS3 games, but only a small handful ever left a meaningful impression. Ratchet, Resistance, MGS4, Killzone, GoW3, etc... all ranged from merely 'good' to dissapointment. Only Uncharted and Demon's Souls really left a lasting impression with me.

The network took a long time to ramp up(pitiful at launch). Rumble practically had to be patched in a year out. I would really like to sit down with Yakuza 3/4 soon, as I did have a good time playing through 1 and 2 about a year ago on my 60gb. Blu-Ray was interesting in 2006, but in 2012 I stream everything in HD. Even today, multiplatform titles still have the most severe quality issues on Sony's box.

Though Wii has issues, I did really end up appreciating many of the unique experiences it offered with the pointer and motion controls. PS3 just feels like a less practical sibling to the experiences my Xbox delivers.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I did have serious regrets initially buying my 3DS, but lately I have quite enjoyed the major releases. Still hate the hardware design and horrible ergonomics of the machine though.

Ice Mage

Neo Member
Yeah, this'll sound weird, but I used to have an Xbox 360, but sold it because we didn't get along well at all. No idea why.

I prefer to play multiplats on my PC and that more or less leaves the 360 with...nothing.

Ah, yes, well, this, I guess.

SpecX

PSP for me. Bought this for MGS Portable Ops and while I enjoyed it, didn't feel the system was worth just that game alone. Then I did something stupid and bought a PSPGo. I had the temptation to buy a Vita, but I'll wait to see where this system goes before I invest anything into the system.

Turbo Grafix 16. Didn't have enough money to buy a Genesis at the time and TG16 was offering a free game in the mail so I went with that. System couldn't even play 2 players unless you bought a multitap and when my free game finally came 5 months later it sucked :(

Traded it along with cash to another kid for a Genesis and Castle of Illusion.

mudkyp

Wii for many of the reason stated here.

Also, the Xbox and 360. I just don't play them nearly enough and every time I buy a Gold account I only use it for about two weeks out of the year. I use my PS3 for all my entertainment stuff since it has the bluray player. I wonder if I would be singing a different tune if I bought the Microsoft consoles before the Sony ones though.

Mr_eX

The only console I regret buying is the Wii, and when I was in middle school I saved my lunch money for months to buy a Jaguar CD.

Dicer

Banned
Poor TG-16 owners...I was lucky enough to know a rich kid that passed me his extra CD addon, and then I decided to try importing for it, best decision of my young gaming life.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Well, I'm going with the Nintendo 64. And it's not necessarily because of the software because I loved OoT, Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, etc. The problem I have was that I was 16-17, had a bit of money (thanks to my first job making $4.25 an hour) and ended up buying a lot of garbage games. I owned like 20 games in the first year at like $60-70 a pop. Wasted so much money and I hold it against Nintendo and their goddamn cartridge format.

cabottemp

Banned
I don't regret buying any consoles, BUT I can honestly say I regret buying the PlayStation 3 and Wii at full price. I still think the Wii is too expensive at $150.

Enco

The wii was the only console I ever sold.

Got my wii sports kick. Played Mario galaxy, then months of dust collecting and I said fuck it and got some pc / ps3 games trading it in.

The Godfather was brilliant. Strangling people felt real good mayne.

Shame every other game sucked in my opinion.

Cheech

The Gameboy Advance with no backlight. You had to be sitting on the sun to see anything.

However, clamshell Gameboy Advance with backlight = best system ever.

Yeah, GBA and PSP for me. I'm just not a handheld gamer. Give me online CoD on the Vita though, and maybe I'll give it one more shot...

Goodlife

PSP - 1 game I enjoyed for it (GOW) that's it.

Bought the PS3 for LittleBigPlanet, but that, after the first stage, turned out to be a bag of unresponsive crap. But it does have a BluRay player....

Rubik8

Saturn
PSP
Wii
Dreamcast

Have to edit in N64 as well. After Mario 64 it was all downhill for me.

I know that's a lot of sacred cows. I'm not saying these were bad systems by any means, but they never occupied me like some others. It's probably a combination of my tastes not matching the libraries or the timing of the systems in my life where I didn't make the most out of it. Those are the ones I bought new.

If I included things I bought second hand, I'd through Xbox and TG16 on there too. But, I got those systems long after they were "dead".

LCGeek

formerly sane
I'd say dreamcast but most getting one knew it was sega's last go and to be fair especially with all the good games the system had it paid for itself at launch when I got certain titles. My only answer is xbox. With how late it came out the fact I paid full price for only something I used for halo, shooters, and racers it was the first time I realized as a console gamer I only bought in to a platform a few specific things. No other system I've ever owned has had less than 15 titles I would ever care to play long term.

I would stink on 360 but by year 3 and me having an xim I had most of the fun out of two systems. My beef with the 360 is it was the only system even with the early ps2 I've had or been around that actually crashed and burned.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Lynx. Battery lasted about three minutes, and games were sold nowhere. And friends DMGs still made me jealous

32X. Very expesive, even if impressive, early taste of the next gen.

PS2 slim. I was just a sucker for the form factor, but as a gamer I had already moved on to Xbox.

GB Micro. Never played it, ever.

PSP slim. I never play portables, and double dip..? Sigh

PSP Go. Best PSP but see above, triple dip... F***!

Wii. Borderline, Super Mario and Zelda aside it has gathered dust.

Regretting NOT buying the Dreamcast. Had a loaner for a wee during EU launch, loved it.

Pretty much every handheld. Not because they are bad systems, but because I rarely ever play them...and I still buy them. I nearly bought a 3DS the other week for some reason.

probably my DS Lite

not saying it's bad but I never use it as commute to school/work = driving myself so I can't play at the same time for obvious reasons. That and if i'm not at home and i'm usually not wanting to play a game.

Yuterald

XBOX 360 for numerous reasons:

-Started to play genres/games I never would consider playing on previous consoles because of achievements and their unavoidable addict-like trappings.

-Began my first retail job around the launch of the 360 and had major disposable income. Couple this with OCD-like game completing tendacies (achievements) and you can see the kinds of mistakes I purchased & the time I wasted.

-As a result of the two above situations I neglected a lot of my other systems and older games that I still wanted to play for a few years.

-Never wanted to pay a subscription to play a game yet I continued to fold and renew XBOX Live Gold because of friends/party chat and the never ending achievement cycle.

-Spent about 3 years playing the original Gears of War as my primary online/360 game (which I don't really regret because it was good times).

-Invested probably close to $1000 on XBLA games and DLC which are stuck on a profile I don't give a shit about anymore and on a system I don't even own. THIS IS THE BIGGEST REASONS WHY I HATE NEXT GEN SYSTEMS THAT ARE TIED TO PROFILES. DLC/DIGITAL GAMES HAVE ZERO VALUE AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN PURCHASED.

However, all was not lost from owning a 360. Met some cool online friends that I still talk to today and I was able to play at least 100 some hours of the best version of Bayonetta. There are like a handful of reasons to own a 360 still, although I currently do not. Bayonetta, the first Dead Rising, a select list of exclusive Japanese RPGs, and various Cave/Shumps if you so choose to want to get into the genre. Other than that, it's trash and I totally regretted like 90% of the time I invested into that garbage of a machine.

The only console I've felt bad about buying is the Sega CD... but I don't really regret it since it gave me access to my favorite JRPG of all time, Lunar: Eternal Blue.

But the Sega CD's line-up was honestly paltry :/

ghibli99

Sega CD - Early adoption meant shit software. I sold it before most of the good stuff hit, unfortunately.

N64 - While there are games on it that rank incredibly high on my all-time lists, the lack of a steady stream of good software made me buy/sell it 3 times. I still have my 3rd translucent gray one.

Ranger X

How could anyone regret buying any mainstream console? There are so many great experiences on every console.

Like in my post earlier, we can have hardware complains.
I like the games I have on my PSP, it's not a problem. But I hate the console because it simply did not deliver, like at all. Before you buy it it looks like its working well, nice screen, etc. But the screen was a mess (ghosting festival, can't see if not perfect lighting), the analog knob sucks, the battery can't keep its charge, the TV out is shit. I've been deceived by almost every aspect of the hardware.

Chemo

In order:

Sega Genesis.
Sega CD.
Sega Dreamcast.
Xbox 360.
Nintendo Wii.

If it weren't for the Saturn, I wouldn't have a single bit of appreciation for Sega in any way. I adored the Saturn, though. In general I just think they made shitty hardware, and they only rarely made compelling software as developers. (Sega CD was my own fault, though. Obviously everyone knew better but me.)

My 360 woes came from hardware problems, and my machine giving me DREs a month into owning it. I used my replacement plan, got a brand new one, and immediately got a 60GB PS3 instead... I never saw any reason to get another 360.

Wii just didn't have any games I wanted. For everything I gave a damn about like Super Mario Galaxy or No More Heroes, there were hundreds of games I had no interest in. Got rid of it because I needed some cash a few years back, with the intent to repurchase it eventually, until I realized that I didn't miss it at all.

abrack08

Original Xbox. Only game I ever owned for that system was Madden 2005. I rented a few games, but I wasn't into Halo, didn't like KOTOR (I know, I'm alone in this one) and Fable was really disappointing, pretty much nothing else ever caught my eye, I think I eventually traded it in to get more PS2 games.

My current 3DS. Not THAT interested in Kid Icarus or Mario. I have MGS3 in the MGS Collection, and I have a hard time shelling out $40 for handheld titles in my brain. I need the new KH to come out, along with a new Zelda and some Layton/Ace Attorney games to make myself feel better about it. I got it along with OoT 3D, beat OOT, and pretty much haven't messed with it since (other than to play Pushmo while... in the bathroom).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
None! I've purchased something like 40-50 consoles, if you count duplicates and handhelds, and I don't regret one of them. I do regret getting my Halo Xbox stolen, though. :/

Top Bottom