• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGrant

My school this year decided to fix something that wasn't broke and combine classes by grade level and have them take different exams simultaneously to "prevent cheating." It's a colossal waste of time that requires me to sit in a classroom for eight periods in a row, hoping that no student has a question because ain't no way I can answer it. If the school required their teachers to create quality classroom material instead of giving students brainless multiple-choice exams from a textbook, there wouldn't be any way to cheat.

reece.JPG

Go_Ly_Dow

2 out of my 3 Co English teachers at my school (Japan) are an absolute joke.

Outdated teaching methods that bores the shit out of the kids. Heavy use of Japanese in the classroom for even simple things such as page numbers. Ignoring good suggestions so the kids can dedicate more time to the textbook. Barely any group work, pair work or use of what they learn. Simply sit at your desk, repeat after the teacher or read the flash card....

They don't really care about teaching the kids English, they just want to make sure that they're covered and ahead of schedule in the textbook and up to date on the next test. It really is pointless, especially when they all flunk the tests anyway. (Which again the teachers never even revisit....)

Before they came in the average test score was 20% higher and the kids had great ability at this school. It's fucking frustrating seeing this decline occur, especially since they're great kids who listen attentively and are well behaved. :(

F!ReW!Re

2 out of my 3 Co English teachers at my school (Japan) are an absolute joke.

Outdated teaching methods that bores the shit out of the kids. Heavy use of Japanese in the classroom for even simple things such as page numbers. Ignoring good suggestions so the kids can dedicate more time to the textbook. Barely any group work, pair work or use of what they learn. Simply sit at your desk, repeat after the teacher or read the flash card....

They don't really care about teaching the kids English, they just want to make sure that they're covered and ahead of schedule in the textbook and up to date on the next test. It really is pointless, especially when they all flunk the tests anyway. (Which again the teachers never even revisit....)

Before they came in the average test score was 20% higher and the kids had great ability at this school. It's fucking frustrating seeing this decline occur, especially since they're great kids who listen attentively and are well behaved. :(

Can you raise this with a supervisor/manager?

Go_Ly_Dow

Can you raise this with a supervisor/manager?

One of these teachers is my supervisor. I'm just an ALT so my control is minimal. My supervisors at the board of education are aware of these teachers, some of them worked alongside them when they were ALTs. It sucks working with these old timers who teach like its 1970 or are too stubborn to change.

It makes me even more sad when I hear the kids talking about their old teacher and how they miss those classes. They would sing songs, have weekly small talk and play games in which they'd learn and have smiles on their faces. You can see the loss of motivation in their eyes during class. :(

daffy

Banned
This seems so nerve wracking. Hate having to ask for references. But I guess I'll look into this as I'm circling the drain currently

Edit: oh you have to be a native speaker? Fuck me.

F!ReW!Re

This seems so nerve wracking. Hate having to ask for references. But I guess I'll look into this as I'm circling the drain currently

Edit: oh you have to be a native speaker? Fuck me.

Not in China....
I mean you can still work for "learning centers" instead of proper schools and still get a 14.000+ Rmb paycheck per month...

One of these teachers is my supervisor. I'm just an ALT so my control is minimal. My supervisors at the board of education are aware of these teachers, some of them worked alongside them when they were ALTs. It sucks working with these old timers who teach like its 1970 or are too stubborn to change.

It makes me even more sad when I hear the kids talking about their old teacher and how they miss those classes. They would sing songs, have weekly small talk and play games in which they'd learn and have smiles on their faces. You can see the loss of motivation in their eyes during class. :(

Ahh that sucks man, is switching schools of companies an option? Or are you visa tied to the school/company?

Scarecrow

Anyone have any tips and/or sources for creating lesson plans? I've been teaching for a couple of years and a still feel like my lessons are dog shit. I've been studying and reading about the subject, but this specific aspect of teaching has just been a frustrating challenge I can't seem to shake. As much as I enjoy the job, I don't feel like I'm owning up to my end of the responsibilities of teaching. I feel like I'm letting my students down.

watershed

Banned
Anyone have any tips and/or sources for creating lesson plans? I've been teaching for a couple of years and a still feel like my lessons are dog shit. I've been studying and reading about the subject, but this specific aspect of teaching has just been a frustrating challenge I can't seem to shake. As much as I enjoy the job, I don't feel like I'm owning up to my end of the responsibilities of teaching. I feel like I'm letting my students down.

What format do you use? Do you use warm ups or attention grabbers? My basic format is 1. a hook/warm up. 2. go over the lesson objectives/class agenda and make announcements or give reminders. 3. full class instruction. 4. activity/student work time. 5. Recap and prepare for the end of class.

It's a super basic format but it works for all kinds of lessons and subject matters. I've used it to teach ELL and art.

Scarecrow

What format do you use? Do you use warm ups or attention grabbers? My basic format is 1. a hook/warm up. 2. go over the lesson objectives/class agenda and make announcements or give reminders. 3. full class instruction. 4. activity/student work time. 5. Recap and prepare for the end of class.

It's a super basic format but it works for all kinds of lessons and subject matters. I've used it to teach ELL and art.

It's more like, figuring out what to teach, and having appropriate activities that reinforce what I'm teaching. Filling time is another bugbear. I have difficulties figuring out how to fill hour, hour and a half long classes. I scrounge around sites like esl cafe, but it feels like it's mostly junk.

watershed

Banned
It's more like, figuring out what to teach, and having appropriate activities that reinforce what I'm teaching. Filling time is another bugbear. I have difficulties figuring out how to fill hour, hour and a half long classes. I scrounge around sites like esl cafe, but it feels like it's mostly junk.

Well there are so many possibilities it's kind of hard to discuss. You could organize your class through skills: start with reading, go to writing, then finish with speaking and listening (though listening is happening the whole time).

Scarecrow

Well there are so many possibilities it's kind of hard to discuss. You could organize your class through skills: start with reading, go to writing, then finish with speaking and listening (though listening is happening the whole time).

Ya, the breadth of material is where I'm running into issues. The last few companies I've worked for didn't have much in the way of structure, so I've felt lost.

Porcile

Most online lesson plans and company provided lessons plan suck because they rarely reflect the classroom you are teaching.

Scarecrow

Most online lesson plans and company provided lessons plan suck because they rarely reflect the classroom you are teaching.

That's been my experience. Ideally, I'd like to teach a year of lessons with a more colloquial bent. Something beyond "Hello. How are you. I am fine." that I hear over and over again. I just don't have the experience or wherewithal to construct something like that.

WoodWERD

What's the average salary for someone who works 20 hours a week at a university or a private center in a tier 2 or 1 city?

Universities and training centers are on opposite ends of the spectrum salary-wise (and workload wise usually). Unis in Chengdu pay around 6-8k for 16-20 class hours, training centers are at least double the pay but with higher hours.

Universities and training centers are on opposite ends of the spectrum salary-wise (and workload wise usually). Unis in Chengdu pay around 6-8k for 16-20 class hours, training centers are at least double the pay but with higher hours.

does the unis there put you up in reasonable accommodations? and are you able to live comfortably on that salary?

WoodWERD

does the unis there put you up in reasonable accommodations? and are you able to live comfortably on that salary?

Yes and yes. Some here scoff at uni salaries, but if it's not enough for you to get by on then you can pick up private lessons on the side at 150-200+/hr. If you want to see what my apartment looks like, pm me and I'll send you a youtube link.

I am trying to research into teaching English abroad in somewhere in Asia, but I am pretty ignorant about all the things you have to do get ready for it and be certified and any other stuff. I live in Kansas City and found getting a TEFL certification through Oxford Seminars. However, looking online, I have read pretty mixed things about Oxford Seminars. This is the link to the particular program in Kansas City: https://www.oxfordseminars.com/city/kansas-city/

As someone who is pretty clueless about everything, I need a little guidance about all I have to do if this is something I want to pursue.

Edit: I should mention that I have completed undergrad and do have a BA.

WoodWERD

I am trying to research into teaching English abroad in somewhere in Asia, but I am pretty ignorant about all the things you have to do get ready for it and be certified and any other stuff. I live in Kansas City and found getting a TEFL certification through Oxford Seminars. However, looking online, I have read pretty mixed things about Oxford Seminars. This is the link to the particular program in Kansas City: https://www.oxfordseminars.com/city/kansas-city/

As someone who is pretty clueless about everything, I need a little guidance about all I have to do if this is something I want to pursue.

Edit: I should mention that I have completed ungrad and do have a BA.

I did my TEFL through Oxford Seminars in Austin. Main factor in my decision was that it was primarily classroom based at a local university vs. online. At the time there were discussions on whether online certs/degrees would be generally accepted in ESL markets, so I went the classroom route to be safe. The reality (in my exp.) is nobody cares about your TEFL cert as long as you have one. The course itself is fine for some basic theory, but it's not really going to prepare you for anything other than ticking off the box for "has TEFL cert."

At the end you get some certificates with shiny stamps and everyone is happy. You'll have spent a few weekends of your time and met a dozen people from all walks of life going off in all different directions. Conversations and connections with classmates was probably the most valuable part of the course for me, everything else was common sense stuff. Their "job placement guarantee" was nothing more than connecting you with agents/recruiters in your desired countries.

TL;DR - You can probably find an online course covering the same material at a fraction of the cost.

Seems like all the coin is in China. I'm considering perhaps sticking to my original plan and teaching there.

Russia seems to not pay very well.

Really wish this thread was more active and just TEFL talk in general. I'm about to take my first TEFL job in Russia. I know this is about Asia TEFL but I don't think there is another thread :\

Where in Russia will you be teaching? How'd you get your job?
Dave's esl cafe. I'm gonna be in Moscow.

There are a decent amount of jobs for Russia out there. I would say outside of Asia it has the second highest demand for jobs Maybe?

It isn't as easy to do as Asia. It pays less and is a difficult/impossible to find work if you don't have a B.A. and Celta.

Wvrs

I'm currently doing my CELTA, just finished the first week (holy shit it's been more intensive than undergrad) and did my first ever observed teaching session on Wednesday. I've never taught in my life or done anything remotely similar (my last job was as a cocktail bartender!) so it was pretty nerve-wracking, I managed to power through and scraped a passing grade but made a fair few mistakes.

I've got my next lesson on Monday, teaching at intermediate level and my plan is to introduce the students to some political terms in English, using the UK 2017 election as a backdrop (I'm doing this in France, and it's all quite relevant to them because of Brexit, so hopefully they're interested). Can anyone give me some advice on how to structure it (we've been told to strictly follow PPP), and moreover how to be a bit more confident standing up and teaching?

I did an English Language & Linguistics degree so I'm absolutely confident with the technical side of things, but teaching is so new and scary to me right now. Everyone else I'm on the course with has had at least some teaching experience beforehand, so I'm definitely feeling like the weak link in the chain right now.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm currently doing my CELTA, just finished the first week (holy shit it's been more intensive than undergrad) and did my first ever observed teaching session on Wednesday. I've never taught in my life or done anything remotely similar (my last job was as a cocktail bartender!) so it was pretty nerve-wracking, I managed to power through and scraped a passing grade but made a fair few mistakes.

I've got my next lesson on Monday, teaching at intermediate level and my plan is to introduce the students to some political terms in English, using the UK 2017 election as a backdrop (I'm doing this in France, and it's all quite relevant to them because of Brexit, so hopefully they're interested). Can anyone give me some advice on how to structure it (we've been told to strictly follow PPP), and moreover how to be a bit more confident standing up and teaching?

I did an English Language & Linguistics degree so I'm absolutely confident with the technical side of things, but teaching is so new and scary to me right now. Everyone else I'm on the course with has had at least some teaching experience beforehand, so I'm definitely feeling like the weak link in the chain right now.
With teaching, it's a skill that comes with time. You know the material? Good, that puts you ahead of some other teachers. You have confidence in it, too. Utilize that - students don't want a friend or a wishy-washy person for a teacher. They want direction and authority. This was the hardest thing for me to realize (I always try to act friendly on instinct, which left students confused and aimless)

Be nice, but be professional.

Also, 50% of teaching is learning how to read the class and go with the flow. Planned a perfect lesson? Don't be surprised or discouraged if it bombs with a class or two. Be ready to adapt. Don't be too scared of this at first. Every new teacher has to learn how to do this. It's not something you can prepare for, it's acquired on the job. You'll get the hang of it in time.

I was super shy and couldn't even give a single presentation in school without nearly fainting when I started teaching. I had low confidence and a low speaking voice. I didn't even really know grammar or how to deal with people. I just liked kids and writing, that was it. But even someone like me figured out how to find his teaching style, voice, and techniques. You can too!

Just prepare well beforehand and follow the advice of your instructors. It was my first time teaching too when I took the CELTA. What you're going through isn't uncommon. Plan every step of your lesson plan from your lead-in, to your pre teach where you'll elicit/teach the new vocabulary to your exercises. You're new and it is entirely okay to be nervous and make mistakes. I was nervous during my CELTA and didn't get a passing grade on all my TPs.

Wvrs

Just prepare well beforehand and follow the advice of your instructors. It was my first time teaching too when I took the CELTA. What you're going through isn't uncommon. Plan every step of your lesson plan from your lead-in, to your pre teach where you'll elicit/teach the new vocabulary to your exercises. You're new and it is entirely okay to be nervous and make mistakes. I was nervous during my CELTA and didn't get a passing grade on all my TPs.

I guess a problem for me is teacher language, and keeping it relatively straight forward. I've studied syntax, lexis, morphology, phonology, etc., to degree level and got into some fairly abstract theories when I did so. But I have to remember that 99% of the population know very little about language other than what the intuition provided by their L1 gives them.

On that note, would teaching open questions and do-insertion be appropriate for Intermediate level? Namely, I want to explain when each wh-word is appropriate, how dummy do-auxiliary insertion works (and exceptions to when it is used, such as with to be and when the wh-word represents a subject). My students are roughly at B1 level (CEF), and they are French -- open questions mostly work the same in their language, but do-insertion is not a thing in French; all verbs can invert with the subject. I've observed a few classes and it seems to be something they have trouble with; they seem aware that do insertion is appropriate in some situations and not others, but not aware of when exactly the rule applies.

If it is appropriate, could anyone think of a decent theme/topic I could structure the teaching of this grammar point around? Thanks!

Scarecrow

Any suggestions on how to spice up introducing vocabulary? I feel my method is just way too bland. Generally, it's 8-10 power point slides showing the word, definition, the word used in a sentence, and a picture. I know there must be a better, more engaging way to introduce new words.

Liljagare

What are some good games for kids? Like, real young (3-5 years old)?

I liked the games / songs found on the Genki English website when working with this age. Also songs that appear in their language that also appear in English (like Itsy Bitsy Spider perhaps). Then you can just do a whole project about the song and the vocabulary in the song and go from there.

Prepositions are also a great thing to make games from and easy enough to make spontaneous games from, whether you do this in the classroom with props or on a forest walk with the kids. Just keep it fun and it all works out. I usually end up making most of my games since the store bought ones are usually too complex or boring.

The easiest thing is just observe the kids for a week or two and start with games such as those on Genkienglish. The just build games based on what they are interested in (such as a vocabulary game based on Pokemon ). The your games become effective and more interesting.

I do have to ask, is it neccesary to get a TEFL if you have a BA in education (Sweden) and a BA (US) in Communications plus classroom experience? (Just a general question)

Liljagare

Any suggestions on how to spice up introducing vocabulary? I feel my method is just way too bland. Generally, it's 8-10 power point slides showing the word, definition, the word used in a sentence, and a picture. I know there must be a better, more engaging way to introduce new words.

Music/song usually works best with kids I think. I personally hate sitting through ppts. I don't think kids like it either.

Try to make it concrete and memorable. So if you are learning about say..different types of flowers..buy examples of those different types os flowers for them to smell. Dance like a rose might like to dance. Would a lily dance the same way? Use different types of music / props /etc. ..paint /create..etc. Make it fun but sensory based,

Scarecrow

Music/song usually works best with kids I think. I personally hate sitting through ppts. I don't think kids like it either.

Try to make it concrete and memorable. So if you are learning about say..different types of flowers..buy examples of those different types os flowers for them to smell. Dance like a rose might like to dance. Would a lily dance the same way? Use different types of music / props /etc. ..paint /create..etc. Make it fun but sensory based,

Thanks for the advice, though this question is more for high school classes. Most of the words I'm dealing with won't have physical analogues I can show them in a tactile manner.

Darksol

I do have to ask, is it neccesary to get a TEFL if you have a BA in education (Sweden) and a BA (US) in Communications plus classroom experience? (Just a general question)

No. A TEFL will certainly help you and be seen as a plus, but a degree in education plus classroom experience will be enough to get into most places.

Wvrs

I'm in the final 10 days of my CELTA qualification now, fuck me it's been trying. The light's at the end of the tunnel, but there's so much to cram into these next days: three hours of observed teaching practice, a one-to-one teaching project (is this a normal requirement?) and a grammar/phonology test, as well as more theory and language lessons.

This was a bad time in my life to jump into this, feel completely burnt out as it's been a hectic year anyway. But I'm sure I'll feel good about it afterwards, I've had good feedback and been told teaching very much suits me. I've always had issues with public speaking and being the centre of attention, so that was nice to hear.

Not sure what to do after the course. I'm in the south of France currently, and I was planning to live here afterwards as it's a beautiful city I'm in. I'm not sure how reliable the job market for teaching is though, I've got a bar job I can make a living with for now, and wait for teaching work to come in, but I'm not sure I want to be chasing my paycheque from week-to-week between multiple language schools and private clients. Now, I'm only planning to do this for a couple of years -- kind of a break from my career trajectory, before I do a masters and settle down -- so I'm not fussed about whether I'm making good money or not, I just want to earn enough to live and travel to some nice places.

And to be honest, I still feel intimidated by the prospect of teaching for a living. Even just planning for these hours of observed teaching practice has taken a toll on me and I'm constantly battling to finalise workable lesson plans and create materials for the students. How do some of you manage to do it full-time, 30 hours a week? I can't even imagine.

pbayne

Asking for some advice. Thinking of a career change but some of the recruiters seem dodgy as fuck. What are your guys top recommendations?(not Japan specific).
I know JET and EPIK are two of the better ones but it seems a bit of a crapshoot after that.

Asking for some advice. Thinking of a career change but some of the recruiters seem dodgy as fuck. What are your guys top recommendations?(not Japan specific).
I know JET and EPIK are two of the better ones but it seems a bit of a crapshoot after that.

Avoid recruiters entirely. Stay far away if your point of contact for a job is a recruiter.

Go directly through the school or through some sort of reputable program like JET.

sasimirobot

If you are interested in China/East Asia getting Wechat on your phone should be the first thing you do before you even look at a map. Join a teaching/expat job group and go from there. It pretty much killed the internet for finding jobs in China IMO.

Laieon

Honestly, for Korea I would apply to EPIK but I think (outside of holiday time), Hagwon's are pretty safe these days assuming you get someone to look over your contract beforehand (LOFT - (Legal Office for Foreign Teachers) on Facebook is usually pretty good for this) and use multiple recruiters to scope your options out.

demonkaze

I've been thinking about TEFL for a long time and I finally want to give it a go. I've always had an interest in it and it's pretty much the perfect time in my life to do this however I have one huge problem.

I don't have a degree and from where I've been looking, most require a degree. I've never had the chance to get a degree, life has never given me the chance and I've always had to pretty much work nonstop. I'll be 31 in January and if I was to start a degree and then do this, it won't be feasible really.

I'd love to teach in Japan if that's possible, it's always been one of my main goals, I can read a small amount of the language (not a great deal and not conversational but it's a start) and I'd love to make it happen. I'd alternatively look at Korea and China should Japan be completely out of the question.

I've also been looking at the TEFL certificate, which I will get for sure and looking to start it soon. Looking around I see that their 120 hour course, is that the right one to go for?

pbayne

Avoid recruiters entirely. Stay far away if your point of contact for a job is a recruiter.

Go directly through the school or through some sort of reputable program like JET.

If you are interested in China/East Asia getting Wechat on your phone should be the first thing you do before you even look at a map. Join a teaching/expat job group and go from there. It pretty much killed the internet for finding jobs in China IMO.

Honestly, for Korea I would apply to EPIK but I think (outside of holiday time), Hagwon's are pretty safe these days assuming you get someone to look over your contract beforehand (LOFT - (Legal Office for Foreign Teachers) on Facebook is usually pretty good for this) and use multiple recruiters to scope your options out.

Cheers.

Darksol

I've been thinking about TEFL for a long time and I finally want to give it a go. I've always had an interest in it and it's pretty much the perfect time in my life to do this however I have one huge problem.

I don't have a degree and from where I've been looking, most require a degree. I've never had the chance to get a degree, life has never given me the chance and I've always had to pretty much work nonstop. I'll be 31 in January and if I was to start a degree and then do this, it won't be feasible really.

I'd love to teach in Japan if that's possible, it's always been one of my main goals, I can read a small amount of the language (not a great deal and not conversational but it's a start) and I'd love to make it happen. I'd alternatively look at Korea and China should Japan be completely out of the question.

I've also been looking at the TEFL certificate, which I will get for sure and looking to start it soon. Looking around I see that their 120 hour course, is that the right one to go for?

While it is certainly possible to teach English in Japan without a degree, the difficult part will be visa related. If you can come here on a working holiday that'll give you 6-18 months (depending on the country you're from and its working relationship with Japan). After that you'll need a visa that lets you remain in Japan -- working visas almost always require at least a BA or three years of paid experience in your field of work. There are other ways around it (marry a local, or get a family visa or student visa and working permissions) but those can be quite limited.

A basic TEFL is better than nothing but I've definitely seen a preference for CELTA with a lot of recruiters and websites.

demonkaze

While it is certainly possible to teach English in Japan without a degree, the difficult part will be visa related. If you can come here on a working holiday that'll give you 6-18 months (depending on the country you're from and its working relationship with Japan). After that you'll need a visa that lets you remain in Japan -- working visas almost always require at least a BA or three years of paid experience in your field of work. There are other ways around it (marry a local, or get a family visa or student visa and working permissions) but those can be quite limited.

A basic TEFL is better than nothing but I've definitely seen a preference for CELTA with a lot of recruiters and websites.

I'm too old for a working holiday visa I fear, I'm 31 in January. Is there no other way without a BA? On the flip side, is china and South Korea the same with regards to teaching English or would I have more luck over there?

sasimirobot

I sent you a PM. It is possible to work in Japan/China/Thailand without a degree, I have done it, there are a few loopholes I could fill you in on.

Laieon

I'm too old for a working holiday visa I fear, I'm 31 in January. Is there no other way without a BA? On the flip side, is china and South Korea the same with regards to teaching English or would I have more luck over there?

You need a BA (or BS) to teach in Korea too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom