• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece is the 3rd highest selling comic of all time

LotusHD

Banned
But what about that beautiful OST?? I agree the anime takes a nose dive but at least up until enies lobby, it is good.

As long as someone experiences it, I'm good. That said, those that read the manga should at least check out the anime adaptations of the more memorable fights, like Luffy vs. Lucci.

_Ryo_

There are several year-round and temporary One Piece stores, events, restaurants, and even damn themeparks in Japan.

maxresdefault.jpg

Mugiwara store.

20150909155613_55f0aafd6e562.jpg

Baratie Restaurant.

choppershop-1.png

Chopper Shop. Was a temp store on June that exclusively sold Tony Chopper merchandise.

sugarandspace.com-travel-blog-by-bintang-mahacakrie-tokyo-one-piece-tower-1-891x580.jpg

Tokyo One Piece Tower Theme Park

20160831114330.jpg

One Piece Escape Game event that takes place in July

I only posted one of each type od One Piece locales in Japan. Click the link below to discover many, many, many more.

http://www.onepiecepodcast.com/2016/05/17/hitchhikers-guide-one-piece-hotspots-japan-summer-2016/

So yeah, One Piece is HUGELY popular.

Well, fuck. I'm missing out, huh? So, is Pirate Warriors 3 a good jumping in point? I like it when I press the buttons and the anime happens.

LotusHD

Banned
very much doubt he is who you think he is, he is not following dragon like a shadow all the time.

I wasn't necessarily saying that's him, just if you are at that point, you should know who that looks like lol

Well, fuck. I'm missing out, huh? So, is Pirate Warriors 3 a good jumping in point? I like it when I press the buttons and the anime happens.

This ain't the Naruto Storm games, blazing through the story like that with so many varying characters does a major disservice to the story I'm afraid. Seriously, don't do it.

Majukun

not at all,the story is butchered and incomprehensible in that game,is pretty much a game for the fans,so it considers superfluous to retell the story in any complete way

Wamb0wneD

Let's not forget the running joke of his wanted poster paid off twice.

In one of the title stories,
we saw Bonchan alive and as new leader of the Newkamaland in Impel Down. He is fine.

WHAT??! Damn... Well...If there's one who's fit for that title it's him i guess.

HeatBoost

Hunter X Hunter is. But One Piece is a close second.

c79e74cfbbaa735307a5c81a4bf83635096ff612_hq.gif

You mean that comic that is probably not going to have an ending, and if it does it'll probably be a huge letdown?

With way worse art?

(I like HxH a lot but it is the very definition of flawed masterpiece)

Thud

Unless that part is Part 7, which I've yet to read (and I notice it had a higher ranking on MAL), I definitely disagree.

Part 7 (and onward) doesn't count as it made the switch from shounen jump to ultra jump.

Still a must read, one of my favorites of all time.

Daingurse

Wow, that shit did not even register for me. My dislike for Sabo blinded me.

You mean that comic that is probably not going to have an ending, and if it does it'll probably be a huge letdown?

With way worse art?

Probably still be my favorite manga ever, even it's unfinished state. But yeah, that would be a flaw!

Big One

Banned
Since we're talking about foreshadowings, I'll quote one of my posts in the One Piece manga thread as well:
I looked up that bounty poster thing from Chapter 77 Greg mentioned in the video and found it:

vffGMj2.jpg

You have to zoom in to see it, but it is indeed there.

vyO8QZp.jpg

Upper-left: Rayleigh? - Middle: Fisher Tiger? - Bottom-right: Robin?

The guy in the middle also looks a LOT like Fisher Tiger (Greg says it's Krieg, but I would think it would match his actual bounty poster if that's the case considering we've seen Krieg's poster before the poster in this panel). Some mindblowing shit right there.
The middle one is probably Don Krieg, but who knows with Oda's foreshadowing at this point.

Salex_

Well deserved. I'm glad I gave One Piece a chance after the mobile game came out. It's one of my favorite manga/shows of all time now.

Is it a good time to start watching the anime again? I stopped at episode 756.

With way worse art?

It gets the gold from me because nen is the most amazing thing ever

I'm reading Don Quixote now , and yes, I do think comics are at least a league below top quality books. They have to waste a lot of time and effort on art instead of solely the plot, after all.

Certainly if this threads premise is right and One Piece is the best comic, I am absolutely sure I am correct, yes.

That's a pretty pretentious viewpoint. Maybe consider that the art adds to the narrative, and that different people value different things in fiction? It's fine if you think that a non comic book is better than any comic , but don't project that onto anyone else.

Hunter X Hunter is. But One Piece is a close second.

c79e74cfbbaa735307a5c81a4bf83635096ff612_hq.gif

Gotta agree with this mans

Zolo

One Piece is a decent HxH substitute. Was pretty much all I read week to week, when HxH was on hiatus. Almost as good a substitute as Toriko was, the true HxH-lite :(

They kinda balance each other out. One Piece embraces its shounen conventions while HxH goes out of its way to subvert them.

LotusHD

Banned
Well deserved. I'm glad I gave One Piece a chance after the mobile game came out. It's one of my favorite manga/shows of all time now.

Is it a good time to start watching the anime again? I stopped at episode 756.

Stick with the manga. The art has improved a little in the latest arc. Also you might want to see Big Mom's introduction at least, it's a treat.

Mister Wolf

Deservedly so. Very few have kept me interested through the years in the shonen genre like one piece. One piece , hxh, and yu yu are the best I've ever encountered in the shonen genre everything else is a step below.

LotusHD

Banned
I love one piece as much as the next guy (see Avatar) but dude calm down lol.

One does not simply calm down when in Gear 2nd.

---

Another good thing is that Oda has had the ending planned forever ago, so I certainly don't expect it to crash and burn like say Bleach and Naruto. That said, as much as I enjoy this manga, I wouldn't be surprised if whatever One Piece is turned out to be a little disappointing. It's hard to live up to shit like that lol

VeeP

With way worse art?

"Best piece of fiction I've ever read"

You know why HxH has bad art. Togashi refuses to let anyone else draw, and he has pains which make it difficult to do a good job. He tries to improve the artwork by the team the volumes come out though. And there's points where the artwork in HxH is great. Not sure why your bringing up artwork when we're talking about the writing.

And for the ending, why are we talking about that as well? Have these two brilliant manga's ended?

I'm not grading these manga's on the potential ending or the chance of me being letdown or whatever. I'm grading them based the first chapter to the current chapter thats out. In my mind, HxH is superior. Feel free to disagree with that. But don't bring in the artwork or the potential ending when that's not what this discussion is about.

LotusHD

Banned
Despite knowing Oda planned everything out, Sabo still feels like an afterthought to me. I hated all the back story involving him lol.

To each their own I suppose.

i hope i'll see the ending for one piece and detective conan in my life time

Does Detective Conan even make remotely any progress these days?

Because for all the flack One Piece gets at times for being absurdly long, at least the plot is always clearly moving.

Big One

Banned
Because for all the flack One Piece gets at times for being absurdly long, at least the plot is always clearly moving.
Yeah there's always tidbits of stuff in nearly every arc at worst. One Piece still follows a single narrative, it isn't really setup to be some type of neverending story like Detective Conan and similar manga are. The Zou arc actually laid out an end-game for the series, in fact (or at least, HOW to get to the end-game). So we know far fact the series is ending, it's just going to take a little while to get there.

Wamb0wneD

Detective Conan's plot is pretty much nonexistent at this point. I don't blame the guy, if i had the opportunity for an income i earn with stuff i like to do i would drag it out as long as possible as well. But... I do think Conan ends when the mangaka can't draw anymore and it stays like that.
Men in black who?

Daingurse

doenst ace have a tatoo that implies saboo ?

Yeah he did. Like I said I know Oda planned the shit out ahead of time, but something about
Sabo
always felt artficial. Might also just be that I don't like him, and I can't articulate it. That's very possible too lol.

Detective Conan's plot is pretty much nonexistent at this point. I don't blame the guy, if i had the opportunity for an income i earn with stuff i like to do i would drag it out as long as possible as well. But... I do think Conan ends when the mangaka can't draw anymore and it stays like that.
Men in black who?

Is the mangaka still dragging out whether or not Ran Mouri knows Conan's identity? That's the thing I hated most about the manga back when I read it.

Big One

Banned
Yeah he did. Like I said I know Oda planned the shit out ahead of time, but something about
Sabo
always felt artficial. Might also just be that I don't like him, and I can't articulate it. That's very possible too lol.
I think it's because he's basically a proxy for Ace, who is a better character than Sabo ever was. Of course Sabo might have his own interesting character arc in the future, don't put it past Oda!

Anth0ny

Well deserved. It's a masterpiece.

Crazy that it's only just celebrating its 20th anniversary while Supes and Bats are hitting 80.

dhlt25

Men in black who?

fucking conan really piss me off, I'm really tired of the murder of the week plot at this point. and every time there's new development on the main plot he introduce like 2 more new characters. I've been following it for over 20 years, I want to see it end already lol

LotusHD

Banned
I think it's because he's basically a proxy for Ace, who is a better character than Sabo ever was. Of course Sabo might have his own interesting character arc in the future, don't put it past Oda!

Ehh.... Certainly not fighting-wise.

That said, obviously give it time, this is Oda we're talking about.

Wamb0wneD

Is the mangaka still dragging out whether or not Ran Mouri knows Conan's identity? That's the thing I hated most about the manga back when I read it.

The last time i read something yes. Might be wrong though. I stopped reading one and a half years ago or so.
I really liked the concept of the whole thing and some cases were neat but the story just fading into oblivion really soured me on it.

Ace sucks
Woah woah slow down there, let's not say things we can't take back.

aBarreras

another interesting point is that one piece almost doubles the second best selling manga,

One piece: 416 millions
Dragon ball: 240 millions

it makes sense since dragon ball was serialized like 10 years, and one piece has been on serialization for 20 years :p

The last time i read something yes. Might be wrong though. I stopped reading one and a half years ago or so.
I really liked the concept of the whole thing and some cases were neat but the story just fading into oblivion really soured me on it.

Woah woah slow down there, let's not say things we can't take back.
You right you right...

He garbage

another interesting case is that one piece almost doubles the second best selling manga,

One piece: 416 millions
Dragon ball: 240 millions

it makes since dragon ball was serialized like 10 years, and one piece has been on serialization for 20 years :p
Db is a megahit worldwide too one piece not so much so it's pretty crazy

Top Bottom