• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

exarkun

It's a shame seeing people on both sides attempting to politicize this, although I think it's fair to say some on the right have taken things beyond politics into pure race whistle nonsense. Gingrich's comments especially strike me as beyond the pale. Drudge is still heavily beating the "racial extremism" factor, attempting to somehow tie Obama to some racism or prejudice against whites.

And on the other side, the ambulance chasers have arrived in full force: Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton make just about any incident they enter a circus.

It goes back to the point that unfortunately there is a segment of the country completely invested in denying any adult or non-partisan discussion of race. For years many on the right have essentially argued that by acknowledging racism exists - be it institutional or otherwise - liberals and blacks expose themselves as being the true racists. It's one of the many false equivalencies at work here. Reading comments on various sites I've seen multiple insinuating Obama and the media are somehow racist for not covering black-on-white crime, specifically the recent case of black teenagers setting a white teen on fire. As if both cases are direct 1:1 comparisons outside of being race motivated crimes.

phoenix I have to ask, why do you care if its politicized? None of it matters as long as his family gets some kind of positive (though nothing can bring back their boy) result then it was all for something.

We waited a month, literally, for this to turn into an investigation and you're worried about the left, right, and the shitty neo-civil rights movement leaders that we've had for the last 15 years? It doesn't matter as long as the family gets help. And NPR has said multiple times that Al Sharpton was a major factor in getting this story publicized because he was the first one that their lawyer contact while trying to get the story out. The publicity is what made this even a case worth looking into. You know this would have never happened without that.

No one will remember any of the politicians thoughts on this, gingrich is a walking soundbite, and the country is eagerly awaiting the results of the investigation/trial.

Sorry to be an asshole, but this thread is getting quite long and I would like to know where we at right now with this?

So is the family in any chance of getting justice?
The police and the State's Attorney are not going to charge him, but the case goes before a grand jury on April 10th, where he could be indicted.

Let's cut the bullshit and be real. Had Trayvon been white and Zimmerman black, not only would Zimmerman be in jail, prosecuted, I wouldn't be surprised if the end outcome was execution.

jaxword

Let's cut the bullshit and be real. Had Trayvon been white and Zimmerman black, not only would Zimmerman be in jail, prosecuted, I wouldn't be surprised if the end outcome was execution.

Probably more like life incarceration (more profitable), but otherwise, yeah, no one's going to disagree with you.

I guess not when its blame Whitey time.

2010 Census

The 2010 US Census included changes designed to more clearly distinguish Hispanic ethnicity as not being a race. That included adding the sentence: "For this census, Hispanic origins are not races." Additionally, the Hispanic terms were modified from "Hispanic or Latino" to "Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin".

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
man, everywhere I go people are talking about this. It's pretty eerie. o_O

Then again, the level of injustice displayed in this case will capture the attention of most decent people. Still, I'm just a little surprised that it's blown up like this. There's a bunch of cases of Black youths getting the shit end of the stick in this country and I can't recall the last time it set off a wild fire like this.

I'm so glad this story is pissing so many people off. Because it definitely fucking should.

demigod

Funny to see wade and the heat are speaking out about this after it got national attention. Where were they before this?

Okay, let me preface this post by saying that what I think happened was absolutely terrible, and that I hope the Trayvon's family gets justice.

Now let's conduct a little thought experiment, shall we? Imagine if the kid in this situation was white and the guy who shot him was black. Let's also imagine that the shooting was the other way around, the white kid is on the black guy's property trying to rob him and ends up shooting him (the black guy).

Tell me then how the reactions, from the media, the politicians, and the posters here on gaf would be. Would the white kid be given the same amount of compassion? Would anyone be questioning the idea of race being a factor involved in the killing?

Again, let me reiterate, I'm not a racist, but you'd have to be extremely disingenous to not see the hypocrisy and double standards at work here.

This few paragraphs of bullshit is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on GAF or anywhere and it makes absolutely NO SENSE in the context of what happened to Trayvon.

You and your shitty post have already been far more comprehensively owned by people far more eloquent than I, but I just wanted to chime in and say you should be ashamed of yourself.

Dabanton

This few paragraphs of bullshit is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on GAF or anywhere and it makes absolutely NO SENSE in the context of what happened to Trayvon.

You and your shitty post have already been far more comprehensively owned by people far more eloquent than I, but I just wanted to chime in and say you should be ashamed of yourself.

I keep reading it whenever it's gets quoted and still can't work out what he was trying to do.

Has Oblivion been back in this thread to defend his post?

Dead Man

Arizona has a track record of not following the National standards.

Just pointing out it is not an absolute statement, and Hispanic is often considered a race. Depends what is convenient for those making the statement, usually. It does make a nice argument for race being a social construct.

smurfx

get some go again
from my experience mixed raced kids usually identify with the race of their father. not always as i've seen the reverse myself as well.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Someone put out an APB for Chaz Bono

You mother fucker...
KuGsj.gif

Nothing that we haven't been doing the whole, outside of some sorry attempts of wit.

still not relevant.

I'll be a more relevant. Regardless of this guys ethnic background do you think in a court of law he can be convicted of anything more than manslaughter? Do you think that it can be proven that it was racially motivated?

I personally think manslaughter will be the verdict in the end.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I'll be a more relevant. Regardless of this guys ethnic background do you think in a court of law he can be convicted of anything more than manslaughter? Do you think that it can be proven that it was racially motivated?

I personally think manslaughter will be the verdict in the end.

I hope he gets murder 3 or 2 but I doubt it will happen. I can't see it as a mistake... He made the choice to kill him.

jaxword

I guess not when its blame Whitey time.

I'm the pastiest white boy on these forums and burn instantly if I even touch the sun. Damn Irish genes.

Which is just as irrelevant as Zimmerman's race and if he considers himself white or hispanic, because he's still (allegedly) a racist murderer.

If it weren't for the fact that Zimmerman's face looks Hispanic, I GUARANTEE the racial debate would involve the Jewish origins of the name Zimmerman.

So you can see how focusing on the racial aspects detracts slightly from the REAL goal here: getting a murderer, regardless of his race, into jail for the rest of his life.

I hope he gets murder 3 or 2 but I doubt it will happen. I can't see it as a mistake... He made the choice to kill him.

After reading the updates on the case I'd have to agree that this guy might walk. Even if the official report of Treyvon being on top fighting Zimmerman were completely true I find it hard to justify shoot an unarmed person in a fight. The kid was 17 and Zimmerman was 28. It doesn't add up. The switch up of the second witnesses statement raises suspicion as well.

The family may at least try a civil suit if nothing comes of this.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
That stock photo of Zimmerman becomes more and more "White Hispanic" every time.

Not just a stock photo, but mug shot from a previous arrest in 2005. Don't know was it was for. Couldn't have been too major I'm guessing as he's still allowed to conceal and carry.

SonnyBoy

I'm the pastiest white boy on these forums and burn instantly if I even touch the sun. Damn Irish genes.

Which is just as irrelevant as Zimmerman's race and if he considers himself white or hispanic, because he's still (allegedly) a racist murderer.

If it weren't for the fact that Zimmerman's face looks Hispanic, I GUARANTEE the racial debate would involve the Jewish origins of the name Zimmerman.

So you can see how focusing on the racial aspects detracts slightly from the REAL goal here: getting a murderer, regardless of his race, into jail for the rest of his life.

This.

Don't know if this is new news or not but apparently Trayvon Martin called 911 before he was shot and the Justice department is trying to enhance the audio of the call.

http://tattletailzz.com/2012/03/investigators-are-reviewing-trayvon-martins-call-to-911/

Really makes Zimmermans claim of being jumped even more bullshit.

EDIT: Source is abc news.

How the hell didn't the cops know this?

You know what, if there is one person who would have had the best claim of self defense from "Stand Your Ground" law it is Trayvon Martin and not Zimmerman.

Can anyone that's detective GAF find out what Zimmerman's previous arrest was for? Curious because in Missouri you have to be squeaky clean to conceal and carry. I wonder if Florida is a bit more lax.

akira28

I think it was in another state, resisting arrest and assaulting an officer, which probably means he was drunk and less than cooperative when the cop was hauling him in. They dropped the charges, so they must have decided not to stick it to him at some point.

jaxword

How the hell didn't the cops know this?

Covering up their own incompetence and indifference.

I'm starting to get an idea of what happened...Zimmerman says he killed a dangerous looking black kid who doesn't live in the community. Police take him for his word for some reason, possibly because it's easier that way, possibly because they've dealt with him before. Possibly they think he was just some kid wandering in and it'll blow over in that he was "in the wrong place at the wrong time" and, well, tough luck you lower-tax bracket punk.

If it was some poor black family from a poorer neighborhood, the family could kick up all the fuss they want but without resources and contacts, it'd be ignored. I doubt this is the first or last poor dead black kid they've encountered and filed away under "some punk."

I think it's actually the fact that he HAD family in the gated community that changed everything-they were smart enough and likely had the resources to get to the media that sparked this whole thing.

Averon

I decided to stay out of this thread for the simple fact that the more I hear about this case, the more pissed off I get. Now I'm hearing Zimmerman may get away with it? Fuck me. I hope the Martins sue his trigger-happy ass to oblivion--at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom