• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFIV DS style Final Fantasy IV The After Years remake coming to iOS/Android [Screens]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goli

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201309190013/
This winter.
2013 for iOS, 2014 for Android.
Will update OP with logo and screens when I re-host them.
Developer is unknown yet, but it's probably Matrix.
A playable demo is at TGS and the game will be distrubuted in the same way as it was in the original feature phone and WiiWare versions, split into chapters.
EDIT:
Trailer http://youtu.be/5iRFFX507JI
GSLn18L.jpg

D313M6v.jpg

9GVMUcH.jpg

xpKniyP.jpg

8K3cBM6.jpg

AISoFmy.jpg

Tripon

I like FFIV as much as the next person, but just what exactly does Square-Enix like about it so much to remake/sequel/whatever to 4 that they won't do for 5 and 6?

Uh, what? This is so weird. The PSP version looked great, this is a definite downgrade in looks IMO.

Hopefully they'll tweak some of the stuff that actually was wrong with TAY though. (Give Harley blue magic dammit.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
*sobs* The After Years wasn't even that great. Is this going to get some sort of rebalancing? Any sort of way to make the new dungeon designs not stupid and badly designed like the rest of the game is? :(

When will FF5 get its own remake treatment?

(I should've done a playthrough of FF4: TAY for the anniversary thread now that I think about it.)

You are saying After Years is getting better treatment then FF5?
Sometimes I feel like SE hates FF5.

Not surprising, they don't need to put that much effort into it. The only new things not reused in The After Years were the main character sprites and they had about 3 or 4 new type of enemy sprites.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
A FFVI remake has a shit ton to live up to, SE's probably got no conscience but even they know they can't fuck that up so it's probably not happening until they can throw the proper money and people on it

... right?

terrisus

Well, at least we got FFV Advance, and FFIV: The After Years regular version.
The art style of the originals is far better than the DS versions.

CorvoSol

*sobs* The After Years wasn't even that great. Is this going to get some sort of rebalancing? Any sort of way to make the new dungeon designs not stupid and badly designed like the rest of the game is? :(

When will FF5 get its own remake treatment?

(I should've done a playthrough of FF4: TAY for the anniversary thread now that I think about it.)

Sometimes I feel like SE hates FF5.

As soon as I saw this I thought "Time to go and laugh at Schala's misery."

I'm positively basking in it. BASKING do you hear me? BASKING. If the game has augments that alone would almost make me pay for it.

FF4 IS KING OF FFs ALL YOU OTHER GAMES JELLY YOU DON'T GET YEARLY REMAKES.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I liked TAY. Down for this. Hopefully they release it in the west.

Why does SE love FFIV so much? It's the weakest of the SFC trilogy.

Because it's the more simple of the SNES games and also has the widest appeal.

Also because it's actually the best SNES FF.

I'm sure they'll start pimping FF6 eventually. It does turn 20 next year.

Tygamr

Much prefer the visual style used in the PSP version to be honest. I like the sprites more than the low polygon low red texture chibi- seriously, a bunch of the stuff is new and not reused assets. Why are the textures so low res?

Wonder if it'll be fully voice acted, and if there's any improvements/changes.

CorvoSol

I was under the impression that FF4 got a gazillion remakes was because Tokita had like infinite power in some small section of Square and since FF4 is his shining baby he remakes it like all the time.

So basically Cecil is the less shitty, better dressed Lightning to Tokita's less creepy Toriyama.

Can't wait for Beef to hear so I can bask in his misery, too.

All hail the King.

Meesh

Not to be "that guy" but they should drop this on the Eshop as well seeing as the original was on Wiivc, I'd buy it!!! :)

Glass Rebel

I'm not even sure what that means. I feel pretty content with my traditional FFIV gameplay.

The augment system zapped any uniqueness the characters had. I don't want or need every character to be endlessly customizable, especially in a classic RPG.

That's fine, I don't know what this means either.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm not even sure what that means. I feel pretty content with my traditional FFIV gameplay.

The augment system zapped any uniqueness the characters had. I don't want or need every character to be endlessly customizable, especially in a classic RPG.

Your augments aren't unlimited guy.

CorvoSol

^ I'm not even sure what that means. I feel pretty content with my traditional FFIV gameplay.

And for you there exists a perfectly fine version of the game in the GBA and PSP releases. That said, some people, myself for instance, feel that the augment system introduces a much needed element of customization for the cast in FF4. And at times it is just fun. Having Paladin Cecil with Darkness, or making Kain Cry, all fun things.

Goli

Not to be "that guy" but they should drop this on the Eshop as well seeing as the original was on Wiivc, I'd buy it!!! :)

The original was a mobile game, and the Wii version wasn't a VC game, it was actually a WiiWare game, despite how it looked like a FFIV romhack.

That's fine, I don't know what this means either.
Your augments aren't unlimited guy.
They carry over.

And for you there exists a perfectly fine version of the game in the GBA and PSP releases. That said, some people, myself for instance, feel that the augment system introduces a much needed element of customization for the cast in FF4. And at times it is just fun. Having Paladin Cecil with Darkness, or making Kain Cry, all fun things.
I think it's an interesting idea, I just personally feel that it's really out of place in FFIV, a game where the specific roles of the characters were a big part of their appeal IMO.

CorvoSol

The number of different versions of FF IV is so confusing. It's not even just doing more upgrades to the same game, there are like separate sub-lines of remakes/sequel.

There's a 3D remake, a 2D HD version of the original version of the game & sequel, and now we're back to the 3D remakes but it's of the sequel.

Oh, now I wonder if they'll include the Interlude, too or if that remains specific to the PSP version.

Vamphuntr

The After Years was a terrible game though. Hopefully they improved the balance a bit because it was fairly unbalanced. If you didn't buy the item that cast slows you would get thrashed by the bosses. It reused so much asset too. You go through the same dungeon like 4 times in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom