• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm feeling a cornucopia of emotions at the moment as Vives are making their way to peoples homes and this is the best song that I can think of that conveys how I feel. I know it sound corny but when I think back to when I was a kid... I just never thought this day would come and it feels amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8OpsPok6iQ

What are some other songs that really convey the way you feel now that we are on the dawn of VR.

Yoritomo

20lb package? I think this might be it!
Z5gvacQ.png

Paid via credit card, wave 1, charged thursday, no e-mail from HTC. Located in San Antonio TX.

My details mirror yours almost exactly but with me being in the Dallas Area.

Texas Wave 1 arrives on Texas doorsteps on the 6th.

bj00rn_

Banned
Oculus was so obsessed with saying, "see! You can play video games on this thing.

They can only get by on brand recognition for so long, and by so long I mean one more day.

First, this isn't really a Vive topic..

Anyway, not sure where you get the "obsessed with videogames" thingy from. I know and vividly remember Luckey on several occasions (if not all the times I've seen his interviews..) repeatedly saying through the last couple of years that VR isn't really about videogames but about its own unique experiences. But he has also many times explained that to get there, videogames is necessary, at least in the beginning to get the momentum going, not the least among developers.

I don't agree with the tone in the "they can only get by on brand recognition" sentence. I think Oculus has mostly done good, they know how to stand on their own two feet, and the Rift is a fine piece of hardware. Their timeline always appeared ok to me, except obviously having to postpone their Touch controllers.. I think their plan was fine, but I guess Valve and HTC took everyone by surprise, especially regarding ballsy room scale.

Animator

New thread title is way better than the old one.

Does anyone have the link to that tiltbrush video with the girl drawing amazing LoL characters in tilt brush?

sammex

I have all the free games except Job Simulator. I only have the demo. Do we know if the games will just be free to download like the Oculus exclusives on Home? If not will I be able to get the full Job Simulator for free as a Vive Pre owner?

I think I read that when you register your Vive you get codes for the free games.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Dunno, the old one could be taken as somewhat dismissive or even insulting. I mean, "flailing around like a sweaty ham", while potentially amusing, doesn't really sound like a positive lol.

Yeah, better to play it safe if it was bugging people. This one's fine.

Can someone please explain?

The old "Watching you flail around like a sweaty pile of ham!" was a quote from GladOS in Valve's "Robot Repair" demo. Could have been off-putting for people who didn't get the reference.

Parked at my kids school waiting for her to come out as I'm holding the vive controller. Shit is bigger than I thought it would be, but very comfy.

Just want to go home to try the Brookhaven demo lol.

Jordan117

Why the subtitle change?

The old one only made sense if you'd seen the particular Portal demo it was from, otherwise it comes off as weirdly flippant and off-putting. The new one captures the scope of the tech better.

(I liked "Joie de Vive" myself...)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The old one only made sense if you'd seen the particular Portal demo it was from, otherwise it comes off as weirdly flippant and off-putting. The new one captures the scope of the tech better.

(I liked "Joie de Vive" myself...)

Vive la revolution!

taco543

Yeah I've been Hella busy at the office so just saw the subtitle change. It's all good. Some people didn't get the reference but this works better for people as its not as off putting if you don't understand the reference.

traveler

Not Wario
Mine is here but I don't have the setup ready. Will probably wait till weekend to try to piece this all together.

Z3M0G

The Lighthouse laser tracking system provides high speed, high precision position+orientation tracking at distances up to 5 metres (15 feet).
vnkemcxg500p7byezxyo.gif

Animation of Lighthouse sync flashes and sweeps: HTC Vive Lighthouse Chaperone tracking system Explained
Reddit post with more technical detail
Well where the crap do I put the base stations?!
The base stations have a 120-degree arc for tracking, so there's a lot of flexibility. To minimize occlusion problems, it's best to have them high in the room, looking down at you from opposite sides. Ideally they should have clear line of sight to each other for the sync flashes, but that may not be necessary since the flash can bounce off other surfaces.
Two-sided tape can be used for attaching them to the wall, but may loosen over time due to vibration. The base stations have standard camera tripod threading on the bottom.
Well guys, see you on the other side.

Ouch, these don't sound like something you want falling and hitting the floor often... yet there is talk of using double sided tape? I'm sure many will put them on poles that could easily be knocked over...

Be sure to take good care of these, it would suck to have to ship one away for replacement/repair. I'm shocked that they have moving parts...

Schryver

Tried to order a few days ago but wasn't going through for some reason. Just placed one though! My PC is barely above the minimum recommended specs but I don't think I can sit around without VR for a whole year+ and wait for the new version. Hype

Zalusithix

Ouch, these don't sound like something you want falling and hitting the floor often... yet there is talk of using double sided tape? I'm sure many will put them on poles...

Be sure to take good care of these, it would suck to have to ship one away for replacement/repair. I'm shocked that they have moving parts...

They provide screw in wall mounts. They wont come down with official mounting guidelines. Also, there's no way around the moving parts. You're not going to get a moving beam without moving parts. No moving beam = no lighthouse. No lighthouse = a return to the comparatively limited camera tracking era.

Raticus79

Ouch, these don't sound like something you want falling and hitting the floor often... yet there is talk of using double sided tape? I'm sure many will put them on poles that could easily be knocked over...

Yeah, the setup guide is pretty clear about anchoring them firmly. Can't just set them on a desk or shelf either.

Maybe we should just update the OP to be more of a warning and say double-sided tape isn't recommended due to the risk of them eventually working loose and falling due to vibration. Heavier duty 3M products could be ok, but I remember reading something from a dev that said all the ones they put up with command strips fell within a month or so.

Nzyme32

Not really true:

2u1Mxpl.png

XRA

Neo Member
the motors in the base stations are high quality parts, Nidec motors made in Japan, similar to what is used in hard drives. I think the base stations are just under a pound, 700 grams or so?

The trouble with sticky mounting is you will still have to use the mounts, since the power cable sticks out the back of the base station a bit... so it depends how much surface area the mount has and what the finish is like (if its a coating that will peel or a stronger powder coat etc) Or maybe you can screw the mounts to a wider surface that then gets the adhesive...

Exuro

Yeah, the setup guide is pretty clear about anchoring them firmly. Can't just set them on a desk or shelf either.
Well that's not technically true. You can place them on shelves and floors. It's just you'd need to recalibrate them if you moved them around so they suggest everyone to mount them so they're always in the same place.

taco543

Yeah as its been said their built tough to take a fall, plus in the OP the telescopic rods are really stable if set up properly. The only real worry is if you choose to use double sided sticky tape rather than using a telescopic rod or the wall mounts.

Raticus79

Well that's not technically true. You can place them on shelves and floors. It's just you'd need to recalibrate them if you moved them around so they suggest everyone to mount them so they're always in the same place.

They could move around on their own due to the vibration too, so they'd at least need to be clamped down.

Cartman86

Banned
First, this isn't really a Vive topic..

Anyway, not sure where you get the "obsessed with videogames" thingy from. I know and vividly remember Luckey on several occasions (if not all the times I've seen his interviews..) repeatedly saying through the last couple of years that VR isn't really about videogames but about its own unique experiences. But he has also many times explained that to get there, videogames is necessary, at least in the beginning to get the momentum going, not the least among developers.

I don't agree with the tone in the "they can only get by on brand recognition" sentence. I think Oculus has mostly done good, they know how to stand on their own two feet, and the Rift is a fine piece of hardware. Their timeline always appeared ok to me, except obviously having to postpone their Touch controllers.. I think their plan was fine, but I guess Valve and HTC took everyone by surprise, especially regarding ballsy room scale.

They changed. At first they were certainly about VR as a different thing. Palmer even said gamepads were a terrible VR input. That changed though and the actual released product is a result of that. They didn't just double down on games though. "Games" are where VR is going to start and almost everything that isn't a game will rely on game engines so it makes sense. Especially since 360 video kind of sucks. The difference though is that they targeted a specific style of game and marketing mindset. Almost to reassure traditional gamers that Oculus has their back. I think this was the wrong move.

traveler

Not Wario
What exactly are the killer launch apps here? Budget Cuts isn't ready, so I'm really just looking at Virtual Desktop and Elite Dangerous atm. Maybe Audioshield, but the charts didn't seem to match the music that well in the videos I saw.

Zalusithix

They could move around on their own due to the vibration too, so they'd at least need to be clamped down.

Unless they're terribly balanced, they shouldn't wander on their own as I'm pretty sure they have a rubber pad on the bottom. The fact that you have no tilt control when sitting them on a shelf makes it less than ideal though. A camera clamp mount giving some articulation would certainly be best for shelf mounting.

Exuro

What exactly are the killer launch apps here? Budget Cuts isn't ready, so I'm really just looking at Virtual Desktop and Elite Dangerous atm. Maybe Audioshield, but the charts didn't seem to match the music that well in the videos I saw.
The Gallery

Someone's already tested them on a shelf and floor and didn't seem to have any issues. It's probably a good idea to at least get a clamp though.

Cartman86

Banned

Space Pirate Trainer, Fantastic Contraption, Hover Junkers, The Gallery

taoofjord

Maryland, USA. 10:03 pre-order. Used CC. Waiting on shipping confirmation. Though I'm trying to be super mature and patient about it I feel like a big whiny baby on the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom