• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny pre-order materials leak [Up3: Box Art/Info, 360/PS3, Retailer Says Oct 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

Might not translate to multiplayer (although that's optimistic).

Well, Souls throws you into non-consensual PvP where you have to beat the other guy in his customized gear - and the beauty of it is that skill still determines the outcome (within certain limits, obviously between two players of similar skill, if one has trash gear and the other has great gear...).

MDSLKTR

If Wii U owners express interest in the game, I'm sure they will include the platform in their plans for release.

0vYD1HZ.gif

FourMyle

That mech-tank looks so fucking cool. I will cream if those things end up being one of the customizable vehicles in the game.

Hindle

Banned
AND vehicles. How could you leave that out :)

Which alien are you talking about? The ones on the poster? Or the figure? I think the figure guy looks like something out of John Carter tbh...

The one on the poster. It's the first time I saw the Elites all over again.

Arnie

Well, Souls throws you into non-consensual PvP where you have to beat the other guy in his customized gear - and the beauty of it is that skill still determines the outcome (within certain limits, obviously between two players of similar skill, if one has trash gear and the other has great gear...).

Sounds fucking sublime.

Squire

Banned
I know that hating on Activision is the hip thing to do and all, but this is a wee bit ridiculous.

Oh, you'll find I'm the very last person to hate on Activision. I'm saying they very likely have as much interest in emulating a title that niche as they do in publishing one: None.

It's Bungie's game, but Acti is still the publisher which means there's a level of compromise going on. Dark Souls and the things that people appreciate about it most are not palatable to a mainstream audience and those are the only games Acti deals in.

For all we know competitive multiplayer is implemented via in-world arenas with a variety of team and map sizes.

If they go the in-game arena route for the competitive multiplayer, they could have some arenas that allow customizable gear and others that don't.

Oh, you'll find I'm the very last person to hate on Activision. I'm saying they very likely have as much interest in emulating a title that niche as they do in publishing one: None.

It's Bungie's game, but Acti is still the publisher which means there's a level of compromise going on. Dark Souls and the things that people appreciate about it most are not palatable to a mainstream audience and those are the only games Acti deals in.

For a supposedly niche title, Dark Souls sold remarkably well. Activision may want to emulate its model more than you might think.

When I talk about Dark Souls being a model for Destiny, I'm talking about the inter-connected world and the online play (co-op and competitive) being fully integrated into the campaign, not necessarily the soul-crushing difficulty or super-enigmatic storytelling.

But knowing Bungie, I'm sure there will be plenty of options for those of us who prefer masochistic levels of difficulty.

HooYaH

Isn't this game an pseudo MMO? I do wonder how much they'll charge for a subscription knowing this is a Activision title. If it's $15/month, this game will probably flop with XBLive charges on top of the price. Plus, that yearly exclusivity will kill the game even further.

So they broke free of MS's tyrannical regime to keep doing the same thing? Maybe this has some twist to it that MS didn't want to do to Halo.
What in the world are you are you and a few people going on about? You don't know anything about the game, and when you've seen only snippets you immediately call it Halo? Then say or imply that Bungie is uncreative and criticize then for it?

I'd like to know for certain if MS have secured this as an exclusive in any form.

The initial contract suggested that this will be a 360 exclusive at first for technical reasons. No exclusivity contract or hard dates were mentioned, but that a PS3 version would happen based on technical feasibility studies, and would not be required of bungie in 2013.

Does that leaked contract still hold up or could they have changed anything?

If the leaked contract holds up then I don't understand why people are questioning what platforms this is for...

StuBurns

Banned

If the leaked contract holds up then I don't understand why people are questioning what platforms this is for...
We don't know if the contract is still correct, and we won't until they announce platforms.

Mifune

Mehmber

Contracts change all the time. And keep in mind that this was a contract with Activision, not Microsoft. If MS paid for an exclusive, that fact is nowhere in the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom