• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tequila Works reaquired the rights to RiME

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
what in the world?

DerZuhälter;198470508 said:
You are fucking with us, right? Can anyone corroborate that?

It was in a Gaf thread from a few months back talking about the status of Rime I believe. Basically one of the people who saw and/or helped on the game stated that they were scrapping the original idea of the game as something like a MOBA for something else. It was very vague but I know a lot of people were like,"What the fuck?"

5taquitos

I really hope that the stuff said about playtesters in that rumor post is not true...

I hate that shit. There are so so so many great games that never would have come out or would have come out differently if developed around test groups.

It's the dumbest shit EVER.

PS - It can be good for some stuff, showing what needs to be tutorialized, etc...

But to alter a game because a group of playtesters said "its not fun" is the stupidest shit I have ever hear.

I bet you they'd say that shit about Myst. Should Myst not have come out?

I wonder what the fucking survey results were from Demon's Souls... Probably why it didn't come to the USA at first...

So fucking frustrating.

I doubt they dropped it because a few testers said it wasn't "fun." If it's true that sony execs were there every few weeks and that previous trailers were smoke and mirrors, this makes plenty of sense.

Sounds like they never got past being a pretty mediocre team. The initial couple of trailers were quite wonderful, but there were never any extended demos and their last game was Deadlight.

Yeah it was probably boring as fuck.

Test groups say it's boring? These groups always sound like dummies. I wonder how bad it was

Pretty crazy that they couldn't manage the development. Sony seems pretty damn patient considering the rollercoaster that was Last Guardian.

Chobel

Cdr9gsUUkAAt2OE.jpg

from https://twitter.com/fcruzsierra/status/710158630914371584

They should know better by now other than announce a game too early.
Good luck for the team behind the project. Hope it gets saved somehow as it looked indeed interesting.

I'm with you that it doesn't benefit us or the developers to have a game revealed too early. However the game still has to deliver and if TW wasn't getting the project to the place they had pitched to Sony in order to acquire funding, then that's on them.

Guys just got back, can't say more for now, but told us "we're moving forward with it, with more determination than ever". Same source.

So they'll go at their own pace...I wonder how long that will be.

If it really is as boring as testers say, I wonder if they will go back to restructure the game or just push forward with what they have

Ridley327

I'm surprised people are getting up in arms about people calling the game boring. Deadlight is a game you can accurately describe as boring, too.

I get the distinct impression that Tequila Works is a studio with way too many artists and not enough designers.

I didn't enjoy Deadlight all that much, so I was never excited for this game, despite the beautiful visuals.

Hope it works out for them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Weren't you the one who was stating that The Last Guardian's issues were more likely a workflow and design problem than strictly technical? ie- the "large quadruped" issue?
Which I agreed with, which is why I suspect the catbird will end up being gated bespoke animations rather than anything systemic or AI driven.

Yep. I suspect getting around that problem would have extended the dev-cycle, particularly given Ueda's visual perfectionism.

But objectively speaking, based on the released footage, it was always going to be pushing the PS3 hardware to the same sort of extremes that SOTC did for PS2, and Sony might quite reasonably have concluded that they would get killed at review for releasing a title with significant performance issue after all that time.

Based on the E3 footage it looks to me that the catbird is largely going to interact via its head and neck only, which does get around a lot of issues as they can script the creature moving into position and then use the dynamic systems only when its placed in a controlled space.

Gammacide

Really surprising news given how much great support Sony have been giving smaller devs this gen. There has to be a really interesting story behind all this. I really hope the game releases eventually and still looks like the brilliant Windwaker/SotC/TLG/Witness hybrid that it was. :-/

MrV4ltor

So Sony probably dropped this because it was missing deadlines all over the place.
Will be interesting to see who will pick it up now.

CPDeyL9UEAEAHE7.jpg

Corpekata

Banned
It was in a Gaf thread from a few months back talking about the status of Rime I believe. Basically one of the people who saw and/or helped on the game stated that they were scrapping the original idea of the game as something like a MOBA for something else. It was very vague but I know a lot of people were like,"What the fuck?"

Are you sure you're not thinking of Dungeon Defenders 2? That's a game that started out fairly MOBA-ish but got revamped midway through when their exec was dumped, as he was the one leading the charge down that path. Now the game is a lot more like the original.

Not surprised by this. If Sony can continue funding a project like Shadow of the Beast, a game which was announced around the same time as RiME, and then decide to drop RiME after all this time, you know some serious, serious issues were afoot.

The initial trailer looked incredible, but I don't think Sony is dropping them for no reason. It's either the current product is not up to to Sony's standards, or they are severely behind in development.

MrV4ltor

The initial trailer looked incredible, but I don't think Sony is dropping them for no reason. It's either the current product is not up to to Sony's standards, or they are severely behind in development.

Guessing it's the latter. The team probably bit off more than they could chew within the timeframe.

Corto

Not cool Sony, not cool!
Never saw anything like that before. I guess big opening for MS to save the project.

LA Noire was to be developed by Team Bondi and published by Sony. As the game was published by Rockstar the IP is owned by them though and not the team. But a first party dropping a game is not unheard of. Microsoft and Obsidian also had a similar situation.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Are you sure you're not thinking of Dungeon Defenders 2? That's a game that started out fairly MOBA-ish but got revamped midway through when their exec was dumped, as he was the one leading the charge down that path. Now the game is a lot more like the original.

No it was most certainly about Rime. I remember it didn't pop up until a few pages in when some people started linking tweets and interviews with some of the developers/staff and people who had some contact with the project. We found it just as out there and surprising as you all did but perhaps there was a mistranslation or maybe I'm just misremembering. I can't seem to find the specific topic either so maybe its just me.

Head.spawn

They probably got tired of the way the Sony playtest sessions changed their game. Should've stayed indie and released in their own terms, who knows what kind of Frankstein of a game of has turned into at this point.

Ridley327

LA Noire was to be developed by Team Bondi and published by Sony. As the game was published by Rockstar the IP is owned by them though and not the team. But a first party dropping a game is not unheard of. Microsoft and Obsidian also had a similar situation.

Sony also dropped Remember Me, though that was well before it was actually announced.

Microsoft also famously dropped Psychonauts back on the original Xbox.

DKHF

This game looked promising but it had been so long since the last footage (August 2014) that I knew something was up. If this game still comes out it's good that more people can play it, but I'm not optimistic about the quality.

Not cool Sony, not cool!
Never saw anything like that before. I guess big opening for MS to save the project.

Sony has published or backed so many quirky, smaller projects with almost no real mainstream appeal going back to the early PS3 days that I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt here. There was like something very wrong with the game. That's not to say these guys can't fix it and get the project back on track, but it's hard for me to assign much blame or anger Sony's way for this. It's unlikely they dropped the game out of pure spite or because it wasn't a potential million seller.

Top Bottom