• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GPD XD Handheld Android Console

SaiyanRaoh

I got mine 2 days ago.

I'm in love with the device. In fact, I'm struggling to find faults with it. At first I ran into a few quirks, but they've all turned out to be permanently fixable. For instance, out of the box, the diagonals on the d pad didn't work. Then I switched the game pad to PS3 mode and the d pad started working FLAWLESSLY. I'll take more on the d pad below.

The build quality is definitely premium. Basically, it feels as high quality as a ninty handheld. In fact, in ways feels better than 3ds xl. It's heavy, the finish and materials feel very very good. Only build quality irk is the hinge is slightly too tight. It creaks but not in an alarming way, and just opening the device slower solves it. It's really a very minor quirk, and a sign that the hinge is not going to break, actually.

The controls are superb. At first, the d pad and buttons feel a tad different than Nintendo, because it's not Nintendo. But the responsiveness is on point with the d pad and buttons. These are buttons for gamers. What the d pad lacks is a strong sense of feedback. The d pad itself does feel extremely comfortable, and is very accurate and again responsive, including the diagonals. But the sense of feedback could be better, but once used to it, don't be surprised to prefer it to ninty d pads...it's that good. I'm giving the d pad a 9/10, because in actual practice, the accuracy and responsive are good even for speed runners and fighting gamers.

The other buttons have no room for complaints. Analog sticks are better than ps vitas. The resistance is more comfortable and has a softer spongier feel, while being more accurate than vitas. The other buttons are great. The trigger buttons are a bit TOO clicks though, but feel admittedly incredibly good.

Sound is great... No complaints

Screen is...jaw dropping....the colors are just gorgeous...and no ghosting. Very responsive and crisp. The screen makes games like yoshis island make my mouth water with its crispness and vivid colors.

Emulation is very solid. Anything up to snes is perfect. Sonic adventure 2 on dream cast runs at a blazing frame rate, as does many other dream cast games. Again, the screen makes games like sonic adventure 2 pop off the screen and melts my eyes.

Battery is excellent. I've gotten more than 9 hours on it playing ps1/dream cast/n64

I can't recommend this thing enough. I paid 140 for it NIB on eBay. I will be honest with you all, this is not an 140 dollar device, in hardware or its capabilities to a more retro gamer. This is more like a 200-300$ device in terms of quality, hardware, screen etc.

Does anyone have any questions for me?

I am going to mirror what you said. Very well put. I got mine on Tuesday and I'm loving it. It doesn't have the Shield portable bulk, yet while still plays everything. I paid a bit more for mine since I went thru Amazon ($179) but it had prime shipping and that trumps waiting on the thing to arrive. The dpad is definitely what you would call "mushy" but I haven't had any issues with controls.
Cool thing about the screen/button mapping feature is that anything that you map on the screen is invisible. I found this out when playing Gex on the 3DO emulator (full speed so far). The emulator's only fault is that there are no physical controls. Once I'd finished mapping the buttons to the screen and saving, they disappeared and I was able to control the game with buttons.
I found the inclusion of the "Happy chick" store on here to be interesting :)

stone drum

Neo Member
here are a few videos and pictures. The videos are poor quality, but meant to be casual. Note, I was born without my left hand, so don't be confused about the weird nub controlling the analogue and d pad. xD Oh, and I hold my iphone camera in the crook of my neck, so excuse that ratchetness and weirdness please.

Ok, so I am showing off a very technical fighting game, garou mark of the wolves. I picked a fast character to show off how smooth the d pad is... 360 motions, double quarter circle forwards, even kara-projectiles are a breeze. The d pad on this thing is so responsive and accurate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDw-0Rigyps

The next thing I show off is launching brave fencer musashi (ps1) on epsxe. I tried to show off how good the screen looks, but i can't do it justice. Emulation is flawless, 100% speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f20NNEh7s-8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEEZQnGYE18

Next is sonic adventure 2. Full speed again, extremely minor graphical glitches here and there. Also showed off the nice analogue sticks on this thing. No dead zones, fully accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QibVGmN_gVQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91HOWqOfJw

I think this is the new standard in emulation handhelds... I doubt another emulation console will near this level of perfection anytime soon

Q84J1om.jpg

2IYNzcQ.jpg

dYgdEgy.jpg

Whoa, first time I've heard of this thing. I personally love my GCW-Zero for SNES and Genesis stuff but I've been looking at a unit that could do PS1, DC and N64 stuff well. Until now, the only options I was considering were the Nvidia Shield Portable or some JXD unit that I didn't really trust for the money.

Does anyone have any questions for me?

How does it handle N64? PS2 or Gamecube?

The vid where you're playing Garou, was that the Dreamcast version you were using?

How's the learning curve on getting familiar with setting this up? (took me a bit to get used to the unique version of Linux my GCW-Zero runs off of, but I have used Andriod in general before).

Is the physical size of the closed unit similar to a N3DSXL? Wondering if I could use a spare 3DSXL case to house this unit if I get one.

If possible, would love to see a vid of either Project Justice or Maken X (Dreamcast) running on the thing.

Really appreciate the info you've already given, I already feel that this may have been what I was looking for.

stone drum

Neo Member
Whoa, first time I've heard of this thing. I personally love my GCW-Zero for SNES and Genesis stuff but I've been looking at a unit that could do PS1, DC and N64 stuff well. Until now, the only options I was considering were the Nvidia Shield Portable or some JXD unit that I didn't really trust for the money.

How does it handle N64? PS2 or Gamecube?

The vid where you're playing Garou, was that the Dreamcast version you were using?

How's the learning curve on getting familiar with setting this up? (took me a bit to get used to the unique version of Linux my GCW-Zero runs off of, but I have used Andriod in general before).

Is the physical size of the closed unit similar to a N3DSXL? Wondering if I could use a spare 3DSXL case to house this unit if I get one.

If possible, would love to see a vid of either Project Justice or Maken X (Dreamcast) running on the thing.

Really appreciate the info you've already given, I already feel that this may have been what I was looking for.

n64 emulation is very good :) No ps2 or gamecube. You're just not going to find a handheld that can run ps2 or gamecube at a solid speed in this console generation. We're not at that level yet :p But I've tested games like banjo kazooie, and majora's mask, super smash and they ran full speed. I think n64 emulators like mupen 64 are still improving though, so not all things are perfect, of course. But it's as good as can be right now. That is to say, it is satisfying :)

The unit is very comparable in size to the 3dsXL. It is slightly less wide, but in terms of thickness is slightly thicker. I imagine it can fit in any 3ds xl case.

The garou version i was playing is on MAME, not dreamcast. The dreamcast version of garou has a few blemishes such as sound lag. Haven't tried it on dreamcast yet, but i probably will soon.

The learning curve is easy enough. I'll be honest with you. I am dumb as rocks when it comes to computers and gettings these things set up and working. But i got everything working in a day or so. I can guide you very easily through setups if need be. But hoenstly, it's quite simple and if you have experience with android before, I'm sure you won't need help. Quick tip: if you get the console, immediately go to gamepad settings and set it to ps3 joystick instead of xbox. For some reason, the xbox one disables diagonals out of the box. But setting it to ps3 fixes that instantly.

I will do a video on project justice for you. will post later today!

notaskwid

Is this the best machine of this kind in the market for this price range? How much better a nvidia shield would perform, if at all?

ViciousDS

Banned
I owned a JXD and loved it.....played everything flawless.....but it just felt really cheap and taking the PSP design and making it 2 inches wider made it really, really uncomfortable due to size and weight.

But damn only $10 more for 32GB and blue? Yes, I will probably be grabbing one lol.....been wanting a good handheld to use for emulation and this by far seems the best bang for buck.

Anyone know how the Dpad is? It looks a little too sunk in....but looks can be different than actually using it.

n64 emulation is very good :) No ps2 or gamecube. You're just not going to find a handheld that can run ps2 or gamecube at a solid speed in this console generation. We're not at that level yet :p But I've tested games like banjo kazooie, and majora's mask, super smash and they ran full speed. I think n64 emulators like mupen 64 are still improving though, so not all things are perfect, of course. But it's as good as can be right now. That is to say, it is satisfying :)

The unit is very comparable in size to the 3dsXL. It is slightly less wide, but in terms of thickness is slightly thicker. I imagine it can fit in any 3ds xl case.

The garou version i was playing is on MAME, not dreamcast. The dreamcast version of garou has a few blemishes such as sound lag. Haven't tried it on dreamcast yet, but i probably will soon.

The learning curve is easy enough. I'll be honest with you. I am dumb as rocks when it comes to computers and gettings these things set up and working. But i got everything working in a day or so. I can guide you very easily through setups if need be. But hoenstly, it's quite simple and if you have experience with android before, I'm sure you won't need help. Quick tip: if you get the console, immediately go to gamepad settings and set it to ps3 joystick instead of xbox. For some reason, the xbox one disables diagonals out of the box. But setting it to ps3 fixes that instantly.

I will do a video on project justice for you. will post later today!

I figured PS2 and GC would be a stretch, but with the good things I've heard of this unit figured I'd ask lol.

Thank you for the info and tips, gotta work this unit into my budget next payday.

DPad looks awkward to reach but still system looks nice.

I'm holding my N3DSXL right now and looking at the GPD image, the D-Pad only looks slightly right of where it is on the 3DS and when my thumb is in that right-side area, feels just fine to me. I don't have long fingers either, so reachability should be just fine.

orioto

Good Art™
It's a shame they don't use the free space on the bottom part to actually put more space between the buttons and the edge... Cause they have the perfect space there to have a really great ergonomic.

stone drum

Neo Member
It's a shame they don't use the free space on the bottom part to actually put more space between the buttons and the edge... Cause they have the perfect space there to have a really great ergonomic.

i was thinking about what you said, and with my system in hand, find the ergonomics are good on this thing. The only buttons that are close to the edge are the analogue nubs which are at the very top of the bottom section. Think about it, only at the top of the unit is it comfortable for buttons to be near the edge of a device. This is because when you palm the console fully, with your palms resting snugly into the console, you can still reach the top part comfortably without having to pull your palm away from the console.

Though I agree with you, that if the d pad and buttons were just a tad closer to the middle, it might be more comfortable, but I'm not really sure. Ultimately, though, I find the controls quite comfortable.

That blank middles area needs to be a touchpad... android supports mouse/touchpad natively

that could be a good idea, but not sure since it already has a touchscreen. What could also be a good idea is if the middle section was like a touchpad that supports styluses for digital drawing or photoshop type stuff....that'd be killer

topplehat

Very cool looking device. I had a Shield portable for awhile for emulation, but the chunkiness made it difficult to use, this looks a lot more comfortable.

EDIT: Do we know if it will be getting any Android updates? 4.4.4 is a bit behind these days.

Is that necessary when it comes to using an Android unit for emulation?

Imagine if it does get updates, and Nintendo games come to Android systems.

Through the looking glass.

Can someone test if MVC2 runs on this, via Dreamcast?

If I can get my arcade ports on this portable, I will be buying one ASAP.

Imagine if it does get updates, and Nintendo games come to Android systems.

That's some real pie in the sky expectation... Even with Nintendo's mobile initiative it's not likely they'll put traditional-style games onto mobile OSes. If that's the only reason to have the latest version of Android on a unit like this, then nothing is missed.
Can someone test if MVC2 runs on this, via Dreamcast?

Not MvC2, but there is a Garou video which is running on MAME posted on this page:
Ok, so I am showing off a very technical fighting game, garou mark of the wolves. I picked a fast character to show off how smooth the d pad is... 360 motions, double quarter circle forwards, even kara-projectiles are a breeze. The d pad on this thing is so responsive and accurate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDw-0Rigyps

That same post from stone drum also shows Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) running on it.

http://obscurehandhelds.com/2015/06/the-gpd-xd-moves-from-rumour-to-reality/

Shades of 3DS? I think this is where a lot of people hope the next Nintendo handheld goes.....

There's nothing really clever about it. It just seems like another me-too portable Android-based gaming device. Something like the Shield is a more interesting idea, at least in theory.

If it's just going to be a more powerful 3DS, there's no reason to really brand it as an NX handheld. Nintendo's offering will most likely be quite more innovative.

Not MvC2, but there is a Garou video which is running on MAME posted on this page:

That same post from stone drum also shows Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) running on it.

Sweet. I love Garou. Looks like a solid setup.

I thought MvC2 wasn't emulated on Mame because of the naomi board?

Yeah, there's some progress on Naomi emulators, but the Dreamcast MVC2 is the most arcade perfect port IMO so when I head it can emulate DC well, I thought to ask.

ok, here are snippets from project justice. It seems to run perfectly, I played it for 30 minutes or so. I HAVE NEVER PLAYED THIS GAME BEFORE DONT JUDGE D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVfsZuO1K1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIZt7-aWt08

THAT AIN'T MARVEL.

BUT I WANT IT.

RedSwirl

So is that bump post just emulation impressions? Do these Android things actually access the Google Play Store or just have their own Android-based stores?

My personal holy grail would actually be something like this but x86 and able to run Windows or at least SteamOS. We've already get tablets and HDMI sticks doing it. I wouldn't even want to run high-end 3D games, just really low-end indie games. I want a handheld where I can install my Steam copies of Rogue Legacy, Skullgirls, or Freedom Planet.

stone drum

Neo Member
So is that bump post just emulation impressions? Do these Android things actually access the Google Play Store or just have their own Android-based stores?

My personal holy grail would actually be something like this but x86 and able to run Windows or at least SteamOS. We've already get tablets and HDMI sticks doing it. I wouldn't even want to run high-end 3D games, just really low-end indie games. I want a handheld where I can install my Steam copies of Rogue Legacy, Skullgirls, or Freedom Planet.

gpd xd has google play store. yeah, i wish for a console that had steam

THAT AIN'T MARVEL.

i'll do a mvc2 on dreamcast test tomorrow

Eila

Look up Smach Zero.
I would love that, but I have a 1 gb W8 tablet and it's really slow. If such a device is made it must have 2-4 gb. I guess 1 gb would be enough, but only for Linux. And we know there's still a ton of games that are windows only.

Maximo

Impressions are nice considering buying ones of these, over my 3DS and looking to have something on the side to play some old games and something for my SO. Does it run PS1 well what about PsP,DS?
Oh and anyone know the cheapest place to get One? (Australia)

stone drum

Neo Member
Impressions are nice considering buying ones of these, over my 3DS and looking to have something on the side to play some old games and something for my SO. Does it run PS1 well what about PsP,DS?
Oh and anyone know the cheapest place to get One? (Australia)

Ps1 runs perfectly. Psp I've read is lacking. It has slowdown, but I don't know to what extent. DS appears to be top notch.

For buying one it seems you'll have to sacrifice price or time to get to you. If you get it on eBay or Amazon, you're in the 160$ range. But you'll get it fast. If you go to a site to buy it like geek buying, it could take a long time a month + to get to you but could be like 140? Look around

CO_Andy

Got mine in the mail yesterday and it is really amazing.

Only fault i found so far is the hdmi output on Plasma is borked. Works fine with any LCD monitor though.

Dpad isn't as bad as some reports i've read online. Just don't expect to do Zangief's SPD on it,

stone drum

Neo Member
Is there anything different between the 16GB and 32 GB versions outside of space on the device? I'm seriously considering getting this for the flexibility.

Nope. Just price. Well, most 32 gb models are blue, but I think they have black 32's now. But now they also have a red console that is 64 gb. But you can get yourself a micro sd card. The gpd xd supports up to an 128 gb external micro sd for added storage

Nope. Just price. Well, most 32 gb models are blue, but I think they have black 32's now. But now they also have a red console that is 64 gb. But you can get yourself a micro sd card. The gpd xd supports up to an 128 gb external micro sd for added storage

I'd probably just spring for the 16GB version as I have a 128 GB card handy.

therapist

find me one with a good d-pad and SNES style layout with shoulder buttons that snaps onto my xperia Z2 that isn't an iomega (had one, it was shit) or gametel (own one, it's not great).

8bitdo nes controller aww yiss

it wont clip on , i dont think , unless theres a clip but the controller is boss

http://www.dx.com/p/8bitdo-nes30-bl...troller-for-iphone-ipad-grey-black-red-334332

Theres even an snes one now :

http://www.dx.com/p/8bitdo-bluetoot...-ios-android-windows-grey-392095#.VjlZvtKrS70

No analog sticks , obviously

ViciousDS

Banned
Got mine in the mail yesterday and it is really amazing.

Only fault i found so far is the hdmi output on Plasma is borked. Works fine with any LCD monitor though.

Dpad isn't as bad as some reports i've read online. Just don't expect to do Zangief's SPD on it,

possibly an HDCP issue? Only thing I could think of.

stone drum

Neo Member
8bitdo nes controller aww yiss

it wont clip on , i dont think , unless theres a clip but the controller is boss

http://www.dx.com/p/8bitdo-nes30-bl...troller-for-iphone-ipad-grey-black-red-334332

Theres even an snes one now :

http://www.dx.com/p/8bitdo-bluetoot...-ios-android-windows-grey-392095#.VjlZvtKrS70

No analog sticks , obviously

Don't those Bluetooth versions of classic controllers like Saturn, snes always have horrid d pads/buttons/responsiveness longevity?

WillyFive

Really shocked Nvidia hasn't taken a second shot at this market.

I love the idea of a powerful Android handheld. :)

No idea what is going on with Nvidia's Shield revision. They make great stuff only to stop selling them and removing them from the market as soon as the replacement comes out (which is bad because the replacement is an entirely different type of product).

No idea what is going on with Nvidia's Shield revision. They make great stuff only to stop selling them and removing them from the market as soon as the replacement comes out (which is bad because the replacement is an entirely different type of product).

Apparently prototypes started popping up in Spring but it seems to have been canceled at the last minute. :(

Apparently prototypes started popping up in Spring but it seems to have been canceled at the last minute. :(

I don't know why I stalled as much as I have in getting the Shield Portable. I had no problem with the bulkiness of it, I guess I just didn't feel it would do what I wanted it to do well enough. I was holding my breath on a refresh but I think this thing would do what I want it to do while being as portable as a 3DSXL.

TI82

Banned
So will this thing play pretty much all the games with the controller? Like The League of Evil, its a fun game but the onscreen controls suck. Wanna play with Dpad.

CO_Andy

TI82 said:
So will this thing play pretty much all the games with the controller? Like The League of Evil, its a fun game but the onscreen controls suck. Wanna play with Dpad.
If a game doesn't have native controller support supposedly you can map the hardware controls to the on-screen prompts. Have yet to test this feature out.

possibly an HDCP issue? Only thing I could think of.
It's borked in the way the plasma tv output has severe screen lag with what's on the portable screen. I have seen one other Plasma owner report this.

Odrion

Banned
On one hand, this is literally the handheld of my dreams.

On the other hand, man, I own too many handheld devices and these days I don't know if I could be arsed to set up another system for emulation.

How easy would this be to stream Steam games on?

Top Bottom