• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

Tawpgun

bryansimon said:
So not looking forward to this. Was originally...when I thought it was going to be an actual remake. Not just new maps for Reach (which I already can't stand.)
Oh wow, brysi, you're on GAF! Loved your stuff back in Halo 3.

Anyway, not sure if you know, but they're planning on making some kind of Classic ++ settings that try and emulate classic CE. It's going to be nowhere close probably, but its going to be the closest and might just fix Halo Reach.

GavinGT

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Can't wait to find out what the Classic++ playlist is at PAX, even though its safe to assume its probably its just Halo 1 game play running on the Reach engine with halo 1 weapons ONLY available on those maps.

That's the absolute best case scenario right there. Unless they were to announce that they're not shoehorning the multiplayer into Reach at all, but instead giving us an authentic multiplayer component.

soldat7

So many party poopers here! I for one and pumped to re-play the greatest single-player FPS of all time, and for me, the greatest game of all time, in glorious HD/original/HD/original/HD/original/HD/original/HD/original/HD. Pre-ordered + Release-day Delivery baby!

bryansimon

Neo Member
A27 Tawpgun said:
Oh wow, brysi, you're on GAF! Loved your stuff back in Halo 3.

Anyway, not sure if you know, but they're planning on making some kind of Classic ++ settings that try and emulate classic CE. It's going to be nowhere close probably, but its going to be the closest and might just fix Halo Reach.

Just got an email today saying that my app to join had been approved. It's been around 6-10 months!! haha. Thanks anyway for the welcome.

Well if there's a possibility that it'll fix Halo Reach I'll probably try it, if not just to do some sort of Machinima work with it to recoup my money spent. But I'll be super sadface if it's a letdown. Fingers crossed hard for H4.

Sean

Banned
PooBone said:
With all due respect, what does Phil Spencer know?

Phil Spencer is VP of Microsoft Game Studios, surely he isn't completely in the dark on the next installment of their biggest franchise? That's like asking what does Steve Jobs know about the next iPod.

And Frankie conveniently skipped over that post too which kinda lends credence to the claim.

szaromir

Banned
Nothing wrong with using Halo Reach tech, it's amazing. In fact, if 343i tried to do AI from ground up, it'd probably end up much worse than in Reach (as is the case with any other game).

I don't understand why the Halo 4 using Reach engine is some shocking development.. or in any way concerning.

Engines get upgraded, that's mainly how software works in general.

Unless you've just gone in the wrong direction coding, or new hardware architectures change the way things need built from the ground up... there's zero reason to assume a "let's start over from scratch" engine would be better than Reach++.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
nVidiot_Whore said:
I don't understand why the Halo 4 using Reach engine is some shocking development.. or in any way concerning.

Unless you've just gone in the wrong direction coding, or new hardware architectures change the way things need built from the ground up... there's zero reason to assume a "let's start over from scratch" engine would be better than Reach++.
People don't know what an engine is. So they figure since Reach had armor lock and different player gravity and momentum, anything built on it will be garbage. It's funny.

Falt

Over the last 10 years I've owned 7 copies of Halo CE and 4 copies of Halo PC, that's because of lan sessions more than anything. I squeezed Halo CE dry. That said, I'm still going to pick up Anniversary day 1.

My love for Halo really started with co-op. I'm excited by 343's approach, can you imagine the back lash they would have received had it been a remake built from scratch? Crucified wouldn't even begin to cover it. Can't wait to jump back in with a buddy.

Blueblur1

wwm0nkey said:
Can't wait to find out what the Classic++ playlist is at PAX, even though its safe to assume its probably its just Halo 1 game play running on the Reach engine with halo 1 weapons ONLY available on those maps.
That's what I'm hoping for! :)

Doodis

Lyphen said:
People don't know what an engine is. So they figure since Reach had armor lock and different player gravity and momentum, anything built on it will be garbage. It's funny.
I'm pretty sure that when devs create a new engine, they also don't just start from scratch. They'll build on existing foundations, even though they're calling it a new engine.

PooBone

nVidiot_Whore said:

That's exactly what I said, I mean in many way Halo Reach's engine is Halo: CE + + + +. They're all built off the old tech. But for Phil Spencer to say "oh yeah, it's using the Reach engine...." probably doesn't paint the whole picture.

Tunavi said:
Ugh, not happy that there isn't 4 player co-op... Not happy at all.
I'm not sure why you would ever expect there to be 4 player co-op, since it was never there in the original game, and the levels were never designed w/ 4 players in mind.

JdFoX187

Banned
The engine used in Halo: Combat Evolved was taken by the devs that went to found Wideload Games. From Halo 2 on has been a completely different engine that has been expanded upon and revised. Corrine Yu has been working on something for the past two years, even before 343i was given the Reach engine. So I would imagine it's using code from Bungie's engine, but there's going to be a lot of it that's their own. She worked extensively to heavily modify the Unreal engines for Gearbox, so she's no stranger to that. Either way, the game is going to look and run fantastic.

ElRenoRaven

JdFoX187 said:
The engine used in Halo: Combat Evolved was taken by the devs that went to found Wideload Games. From Halo 2 on has been a completely different engine that has been expanded upon and revised. Corrine Yu has been working on something for the past two years, even before 343i was given the Reach engine. So I would imagine it's using code from Bungie's engine, but there's going to be a lot of it that's their own. She worked extensively to heavily modify the Unreal engines for Gearbox, so she's no stranger to that. Either way, the game is going to look and run fantastic.

You're totally wrong. The Halo Engine stayed with Bungie. Wideload licensed it from Bungie for Stubbs. I know because I followed the development of Stubbs from the start.

In fact found it.

MC: The PR says your first game will be based on the Halo engine.

AS: Yes - we have a license from Bungie.

Feel free to read that entire interview here.

http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/seropian.042604.html

szaromir said:
Nothing wrong with using Halo Reach tech, it's amazing. In fact, if 343i tried to do AI from ground up, it'd probably end up much worse than in Reach (as is the case with any other game).
but it uses the halo ce AI, as well as animations and physics
that's the fucking problem right here
i'd love halo ce remade totally in the reach engine, this is just halo ce with a new coat of paint slapped on

Dax01 said:
I hope that means you're going to wait for the remake. :p
stop talking about the remake, there is none
this is a port with new graphics

jgminto

scar tissue said:
but it uses the halo ce AI, as well as animations and physics
that's the fucking problem right here
i'd love halo ce remade totally in the reach engine, this is just halo ce with a new coat of paint slapped on

stop talking about the remake, there is none
this is a port with new graphics
If they changed the AI in any way I wouldn't buy this game. CEs AI is still great, apart from the marines but that still hasn't been fixed. This is what we have been asking for.

fernoca

Yeah, engines maybe the same but can be modified and be/look different. Didn't Mortal Kombat, Gears of War and Alice: Madness Returns all run on "the same engine" (Unreal 3)? Didn't Resident Evil 5, Dead Rising and Marvel vs Capcom 3 share the same engine (MT Framework)?

So, don't know why Halo 4 using the same engine of Halo Reach equates into "ugh".

Heck, they could technically just call it the "Halo Engine" and use it for other games, kinda like what Square Enix did with the Crystal Tools.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
PooBone said:
I'm not sure why you would ever expect there to be 4 player co-op, since it was never there in the original game, and the levels were never designed w/ 4 players in mind.

Pillar of Autumn HVAC coduits would have been VERY cosy with four players.

"Move!'

"No! I think that Grunt is hiding around this corner!"

"No, I killed him!"

"No, he was outside!"

So, it sounds like this is being treated like Rock Band Track Packs. (Tracks, or in this case, Maps, on the disc, dlc code to get tracks/maps on "Main" game)

I wonder how (non-coop) Multiplayer achievements will get categorized when using the disc.

JdFoX187

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
You're totally wrong. The Halo Engine stayed with Bungie. Wideload licensed it from Bungie for Stubbs. I know because I followed the development of Stubbs from the start.

In fact found it.

Feel free to read that entire interview here.

http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/seropian.042604.html
Hmm...I am. Still doesn't change the fact they completely scrapped everything they were working on with Halo 2 and restarted with about a year to spare.

TUROK

Tunavi said:
Ugh, not happy that there isn't 4 player co-op... Not happy at all.
... Damn. Hype level has been murdered. Even if the levels weren't designed with 4 player co-op in mind, the option would have been nice.

I can't believe bungie is creating this much confusion about a couple of fucking maps.

Then again their game is 8 months old and they've done nothing about armor lock or bloom. If 343 can't figure this shit out and turn Reach multiplayer into something worth my time I'll just wash my hands of this whole release. Real new games will be out this fall with real multiplayer

Narpas Sword0 said:
Then again their game is 8 months old and they've done nothing about armor lock or bloom. If 343 can't figure this shit out and turn Reach multiplayer into something worth my time I'll just wash my hands of this whole release. Real new games will be out this fall with real multiplayer

So you don't like bloom?

What's wrong with armor lock? The glitching that people can do?

I've put hundreds of hours into Reach and only seen people glitching with AL twice.

JdFoX187

Banned
Narpas Sword0 said:
I can't believe bungie is creating this much confusion about a couple of fucking maps.

Bungie isn't doing this, it's all 343i. There's also still five months until the game releases.

And why should Bungie/343i do anything about armor lock or bloom? Because you don't like them? They work as designed, even if I don't like them.

TheOddOne

PooBone said:
Of course not quite as bad as when Jack Tretton said the Killzone trailer was all in-game footage. But seriously, if the "new" engine is based off Reach's source code, it wouldn't be a stretch so imagine someone up the ladder who doesn't have his nose in the project day in and day out making a statement like that.

I'd be extremely, EXTREMELY surprised if Halo 4 is just the Reach engine w/ new art assets.
Well looking at the way he talked about the XBLA lineup during E3, I can trust somebody who's job specifically is to publish first party titles.

I've been saying Bungie in place of Halo for too many years to correct the habit for every post. It's the same people making statements, even if their resume has changed.

Reach's problems don't end with bloom and armor lock. 5 shot kill, BTB being garbage, too few maps being spread across too many playlists, assists, melee...

this 'map pack' better be accompanied with a major title update. the classic playlist we already have does not go far enough and is not popular.

If they want me to pay $40 for a campaign with no expansion of co op and a minimal graphical improvement, and it was too much to ask to get all the original Halo CE maps reskinned in a similar way as the single player with their own online, then they had better at least make Halo Reach as fun as Halo 1, 2, and 3. If they can't be bothered to do that either then where is my money going?

JdFoX187

Banned
Classic playlist doesn't have to be popular. There's no issue finding a match in there, so it's fine to me. Less idiots that way. If we judged playlists by the amount of people that played, 343i better just make Halo 4: Living Dead.

Hey Frankie, is it possible to just play with original assets but in 720p 16:9? That's really all I ever wanted in life: Halo CE rendered in 720p with the original models and textures and all that original creamy goodness. None of that redone malarkey for this boy!

ElRenoRaven

Havok said:
You're blaming a company that isn't even remotely involved with this product.

Shhh. Don't tell him. It's actually pretty funny to see. I was wondering when we'd have our first idiot blaming Bungie for something Halo related now that they have no control.

i get the feeling more and more that im the only person who prefers Reach's MP to 3's by a mile, it's not even close, H3 is near unplayable to me

GodfatherX said:
i get the feeling more and more that im the only person who prefers Reach's MP to 3's by a mile, it's not even close, H3 is near unplayable to me

Nah I'm in that camp as well. Reach's MP still pales to 2 and CE, and it certainly does some things quite wrong, but H3 is my least favorite Halo MP game.

clav

Izayoi said:
What kind of horrific input lag would that introduce?
It shouldn't actually produce any. All it does it translates the codes probably with resistors that mean the equivalent of the Xbox 360 reads.

Izayoi

Banned
claviertekky said:
It shouldn't actually produce any. All it does it translates the codes probably with resistors that mean the equivalent of the Xbox 360 reads.
Yeah, but... two adapters plugged into each other... That's some Frankenstein shit right there, man. I don't know. Four connections total (five if you count the break-away).

clav

Izayoi said:
Yeah, but... two adapters plugged into each other... That's some Frankenstein shit right there, man. I don't know. Four connections total (five if you count the break-away).
Sorry, responding while in-game is a bad idea.

Mmm... I probably wouldn't do it then.

So no one is on huh?

:(

Shogmaster said:
Hey Frankie, is it possible to just play with original assets but in 720p 16:9? That's really all I ever wanted in life: Halo CE rendered in 720p with the original models and textures and all that original creamy goodness. None of that redone malarkey for this boy!
Speaking of which, what I'd really like to see is a patch to Halo 3/ODST which changes it's rendering path to be like Halo Reach (2-pass rendering changed to 1 pass, 640p resolution bumped up to 1152x720 with TAA and some light film grain). I'd like to go back and play Halo 3 MP once in a while but those jaggies are probably going to look really rough now.

Also, I think it'd be neat if in the future, 343 gave out a download code for the online portion of the games so that you could just jump into and out of games quickly without swapping discs. If you have the disc in, you can still access the MP through the menus, but if you didn't, you'd still be able to launch to it from some sort of Halo MP hub in your Games Library.

Narpas Sword0 said:
If they want me to pay $40 for a campaign with no expansion of co op and a minimal graphical improvement, and it was too much to ask to get all the original Halo CE maps reskinned in a similar way as the single player with their own online, then they had better at least make Halo Reach as fun as Halo 1, 2, and 3. If they can't be bothered to do that either then where is my money going?

Even if Frankie moved over to 343, most of the guys who worked on Reach have moved on, and most of the guys at 343 are focusing on Halo 4. So they probably aren't going to tinker with Reach's gameplay that much. That being said, from what I've heard from 343, the playlist for Halo CE stuff should play similarly to Halo 1 (no armor/jetpacks/etc).

Also, I think they aren't keen on bringing all of the maps over because some of them are really not fun. I absolutely hated playing Halo 1 MP on PC because every single server was running Blood Gultch. I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the motivation for Bungie to create a really in depth matchmaking system for Halo 2.

border

All these people begging for a Duke controller from Bungie at any price, but nobody has the guts to throw down $30 on a couple adapters to see if it works?

Shogmaster said:

As far as I know you have been able to play Halo at 720p for ~5 years. The 360 runs it in native 720p in backwards compatibility mode. Obviously this is not standard for backwards compatible titles, but it's pretty obvious that the emulation software on the 360 was custom-tailored to accommodate Halo.

http://hd.engadget.com/2005/11/10/halo-2-on-the-xbox-360-now-in-720p-w-aa/

Top Bottom