• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redx508

23.png

this is the FIRST upgrade. more coming later on.

dramatis

It looks like the BLM AF is based off of the "yellow pointy hat, blue robe" traditional BLM look.

Ken
Q9: I believe there are lots of NPCs in the Doman area with Asian-themed hairstyles. Would players be able to use these hairstyles? I want a top knot!

A9: There will be two new hairstyles, but there's no top knot. If there's a lot of request for it, we'll consider it.
Time for you to riot

Any place with recap of everything till now?
Not without a stream, but here's some general notes. They haven't gone in-depth about new skills or mechanics, we're gleaning that off of the benchmark video.

- Yellow scrips added, blue scrips retired
- AF 3 obtained from Lvl 70 job quest
- Sprint will no long consume TP
- Aether compass (used to enable flight in a zone) will return
- Sightseeing has 45 new vistas, possibly extreme version
- Underwater gathering; spearfishing for fishers
- Mounts getting two new levels of speed
- Skills will no longer cooldown when switching classes outside of sanctuaries

- Travel to Thavnair island available

- Squadrons in dungeons

Arkeband

Banned
No significant graphical changes, but they're adding a PS4 Pro patch that includes two modes, for all the PS4 controller plebs. :p

Any place with recap of everything till now?

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...e-Producer-LIVE-Part-XXXV-Update-Thread/page3

Also, they're finally considering incentives for world moves to less populated worlds, taking cues from WoW circa ten friggin' years ago.

The incentive needs to be free transfers, not lifting gil restrictions, dummies.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

*sigh* Another bad looking Artifact Gear for the Bard...I guess I'm not removing my Augmented Chiral Set glamour anytime soon than.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
That inventory talk was crazy. I don't get how a post-WoW can get away with an infrastructure which doesn't allow increasing slots without a huge strain on servers. Seriously.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
That inventory talk was crazy. I don't get how a post-WoW can get away with an infrastructure which doesn't allow increasing slots without a huge strain on servers. Seriously.
Glad to hear they'll be doing more expansions at least. 40 inventory isn't that much imo.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

When you compare the two games, you realize how far of a massive, massive, MASSIVE divide there is in QOL. Then again, its Blizzard vs. Square...

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Their biggest problem is that they rewrite save data quite a bit more frequently than other MMO games. If you actually look at WoW, bags and vendors can be significantly less responsive whereas in XIV they're almost always silky smooth. The quality of interaction was probably their bigger priority than actually providing huge bags.

Omnicent

Rowena will never disappear? Final boss of the last expansion confirmed.
We must liberate the world from owing endless debts to Rowena.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
When you compare the two games, you realize how far of a massive, massive, MASSIVE divide there is in QOL. Then again, its Blizzard vs. Square...
This is true. Post-WoW mmos can't really compete with it on release with the amount of content, because that just gets added over time, but I'm really surprised that FFXIV didn't learn much from it qol wise, like you mentioned.

I hate playing the game on 2 PCs and a PS4, because of all the micro management with item sets (so glad that "recommended eq" feature is a thing) and hotbars not being shared.
Their biggest problem is that they rewrite save data quite a bit more frequently than other MMO games. If you actually look at WoW, bags and vendors can be significantly less responsive whereas in XIV they're almost always silky smooth. The quality of interaction was probably their bigger priority than actually providing huge bags.
Really? I've played WoW quite a bit, but never noticed any problems with the bags' responsiveness. Not saying that you're not right, but I didn't even know it was a problem for anyone.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
This is true. Post-WoW mmos can't really compete with it on release with the amount of content, because that just gets added over time, but I'm really surprised that FFXIV didn't learn much from it qol wise, like you mentioned.

I hate playing the game on 2 PCs and a PS4, because of all the micro management with item sets (so glad that "recommended eq" feature is a thing) and hotbars not being shared.

Really? I've played WoW quite a bit, but never noticed any problems with the bags' responsiveness. Not saying that you're not right, but I didn't even know it was a problem for anyone.

It's not really a problem that gets in the way of anything (except for autosell with addons or something like that), but it's noticeable.

Blizzje

Q25: During the Fan Festival, you mentioned that there are plans for PlayStation®4 Pro support, but is this planned for Patch 4.0?

A25: Yes. There will be two modes available.
One mode will retain the current resolution while increasing the frame rate. With this mode, you can expect a stable 60FPS even in scenes with many people.

The other mode retains the current existing frame rate but increases the resolution.

You will still be able to enjoying playing without a PlayStation®4 Pro, so please choose the best option for you.

Good on them for giving two options. Interested in finding out what the exact resolution is for the other mode.

I'm going to watch that benchmark video, over, and over, and over again...

It's amazing that after so little info since fanfest they can still reel people back in with something each month.

What is going to suck though, is that I'm moving in the next couple months. Apartment hunting in May and moving near the end of the month and moving my things so I may end up missing early access. FML.

iammeiam

The armory upgrade is going to be fantastic, at least.

I'm sort of fascinated by how bad XIV's back end is. Cross server stuff is a struggle, inventory is a struggle, the game just occasionally makes bizarre choices (Device manager refreshes? Time to completely reinitiate controller communication!), some of the exploits people have found over time have just been baffling.

I mostly skip live letters at this point and just catch up on recaps, but I'd be fascinated by the dev team doing a deepish dive into some of the limitations of the code base it seems like they're fighting half the time.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Whoever made these slides decided to go with "Dad of Light" instead of "Daddy", ha ha.
It's not really a problem that gets in the way of anything (except for autosell with addons or something like that), but it's noticeable.
I wonder if the inventory related infrastructure is a leftower from "contacting the server to open a menu" 1.0

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The armory upgrade is going to be fantastic, at least.

I'm sort of fascinated by how bad XIV's back end is. Cross server stuff is a struggle, inventory is a struggle, the game just occasionally makes bizarre choices (Device manager refreshes? Time to completely reinitiate controller communication!), some of the exploits people have found over time have just been baffling.

I mostly skip live letters at this point and just catch up on recaps, but I'd be fascinated by the dev team doing a deepish dive into some of the limitations of the code base it seems like they're fighting half the time.

Well the game was built in a year and a half from the remains of a different game. It's amazing it released in the state it did, and they surely had to make short-term concessions somewhere along the line.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I think that's the official English title, lol.
I'm very confused - someone mentioned it in this thread before (I think), but Netflix has the "Dad of Light" subtitle on the thumbnail (even when set to Japanese). The text in the drama itself, on the title screen etc., is the same as in the TV version - Daddy of Light.

iammeiam

Well the game was built in a year and a half from the remains of a different game. It's amazing it released in the state it did, and they surely had to make short-term concessions somewhere along the line.

Which is why I'm so curious about the behind-the-scenes. A lot of the UI interaction in 1,0 was horribly laggy since so much was server-side, and it'd be interesting to see what was blocking what and how it determined what they prioritized and how much of the current system is actual long-term solutions and how much is string and chewing gum they intend to get back to later.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

I'd imagine that half the codebase was only understood by programmers from 1.0 and people taken from other departments during ARR's development and nobody knows how most of it actually works, considering other MMO horror stories (FFXI stuff with nobody seeming to know how to change certain things after about the first couple years of the game and EQ's 'shit we need to model boat speed just add some item to its inventory to slow it down oh shit you can pickpocket boats').

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom