• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.
If A-1 can continue to pump out interesting series, why can't everyone else?

I'll just point out here that A-1 Pictures has been one of the more consistent studios lately in pumping out big selling titles. Ano Hana, Blue Exorcist, Idolmaster, Uta no Prince-sama, and Working'!! all sold quite nicely (>14,000 per volume) last year.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Smile Precure 4

pfQlLl.jpg

Sailor Jupiter!

And yep, I think I like the derpiness of the main heroine. She's too much like Usagi for me not to like her ditziness/stupidity. I might actually be all in for this show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure 04:

n9iMxl.jpg

CURE MARCH AWWWWWWW YEAHHHHHHHHHHH.

Peace is still the HNNNNNNNGest, but March is the total package and is easily best Cure. Badass? Check. Oneesama? Check. Tall, green, and kinda masculine like Sailor Jupiter? Check. Has an especially awesome power? Check. Wears military fatigues and short shorts as casual wear? That's one big Check.

6OWGvl.jpg

Just look at that expression. "FUCK YEAH, I'M A PRECURE."

I love this show.

wsippel

Banned
I'm also up for hyper violence any day of the week if it's available, but not really hentai but I'm not adverse to it, just never really see anything with it.
From the top of my head: Mardock Scramble, Genocyber if you want really fucking brutal and depressing oldschool shit, Ninja Scroll (the movie, not the anime). You're welcome. And don't watch Eureka Seven unless you're twelve years old and/ or a virgin. It won't make a lick of sense otherwise. And watch Birdy the Mighty: Decode. Everyone should watch Decode. And Redline.

Branduil

Smile Precure 4

pfQlLl.jpg

Sailor Jupiter!

And yep, I think I like the derpiness of the main heroine. She's too much like Usagi for me not to like her ditziness/stupidity. I might actually be all in for this show.

Smile Precure 04:

n9iMxl.jpg

CURE MARCH AWWWWWWW YEAHHHHHHHHHHH.

Peace is still the HNNNNNNNGest, but March is the total package and is easily best Cure. Badass? Check. Oneesama? Check. Tall, green, and kinda masculine like Sailor Jupiter? Check. Has an especially awesome power? Check. Wears military fatigues and short shorts as casual wear? That's one big Check.

6OWGvl.jpg

Just look at that expression. "FUCK YEAH, I'M A PRECURE."

I love this show.

LOL, I love how these two posts could read as one, including the pictures.

Guilty Crown 4

That was actually pretty cool. And so is the OST.

Although the lead-up to that sequence was ridiculous. Do they really expect me to just go with the notion that
the terrorist leader can put on a fake beard and get inside the government's HQ to talk to another terrorist as his lawyer?

My second favorite void, and third favorite character whose void that came from. beautiful.

Thoraxes

Rinne no Lagrange 08

That was a pretty enjoyable episode, and there was really no lack of anything happening really. There was a ton of information and progress in that episode, and i'm gradually getting more excited for the finale of the first half. There's a ton going on here from all factions and people, and some of the relationships between some of the characters is starting to get pretty interesting, especially their motives at specifically who everything is between.

There's still more to be revealed here though, as it almost seems like Lan
's brother and want to take the Voxes, but what for is unknown at this time other than they want to force the blossoming of Rin-ne to happen sooner than later. I'm curious as to what exactly the blossoming will accomplish, though it's obviously related to the legend.

Also, the explanation of the population of the universe is pretty interesting as well, including the past history of civilization on Earth and in the universe. With the foundation kinda laid now, I hope we get more information about the formation of each of the galactic powers in more detail.

The chairman talking
with Kiss at the end was interesting too in that it seems that the chairman just wants the the Lagrange to never blossom. The thing that isn't explained here yet is a point of contention right now. Are Kiss and Moid+King both after the same thing? If so, why not work together? The only thing I could think of is that it's possible to use the blossoming as a weapon to help wipe out a race of people or blow up a planet, potentially using it as a superweapon. The motives behind all that intrigues me as well, and i'm interested to see where it goes. Additionally, getting Madoka's cousin involved is going somewhere too, and she'll be more privy to information.

I was also kinda pleased with the way Madoka approached the end situation, and she seemed really mature and cool-headed to make the decision she did and act the way she did. You could see the regret she has, but she realizes the situation and isn't acting in the heat of the moment, which I liked. Despite her usually genkiness, she's still rational about the situation she's in.

Judging from the preview, the next episode doesn't look to be as good as this one, but they have yet to have an episode where something important isn't said/the universe is expanded/the plot progresses/more information is revealed, so i'm at least confident that things will still progress next week as well.

Also, Lan's
wan getting explained was awesome. I honestly thought they were just doing it for a character quirk (which well, it still is), but the reasoning behind it was great/funny.

Also, dat blushing, demon, hnnggggghhhhhhhhhhhh, storm, group hug, hnnngghhhhhh. My goggles are on even though it's been said that there is none of that here.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Should I put Redline in one line with School Days and co? I mean I could only watch the first 20 minutes because it was so bad.

That's a problem with you, not Redline.

Eureka Seven episode 5

The entire episode consisted of Renton getting trolled, pretty fillerish stuff, apart from vague hintings of the connection between
Holland and Renton

Instro

From the top of my head: Mardock Scramble, Genocyber if you want really fucking brutal and depressing oldschool shit, Ninja Scroll (the movie, not the anime). You're welcome. And don't watch Eureka Seven unless you're twelve years old and/ or a virgin. It won't make a lick of sense otherwise. And watch Birdy the Mighty: Decode. Everyone should watch Decode. And Redline.

Wtf am I reading.

wsippel

Banned
Should I put Redline in one line with School Days and co? I mean I could only watch the first 20 minutes because it was so bad.
No, you should just hang your head in shame.

Redline is animation for the animation's sake. It's style over substance, sure, but it's absolutely amazing if you like animation. It's just exceptional craftsmanship. It's not about what's on display, it's all about how it's displayed, and nothing comes even remotely close in that regard.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Style can be substance though.

Sure. It's just a saying anyway, there is no reason to get so upset about it.

Redline is visually stunning, it's beautiful in every sense of the word. And yet it's really not a good movie due to the actual content of the film. It has plenty of style and it has no substance.

Dynedom

Redline is like the sexy girl you'd have a fling with because she's smoking hot and probably an incredible lay but you'd never marry her because she's criminally dumb and unforgivably shallow.

edit: GirlanimeGAF can swap genders around accordingly.

wsippel

Banned
Ugh. Are we back in the 1940s?
Huh? I don't think the "style over substance" approach is bad. And I think it's true - even though I actually think Redline has some substance. And (consciously) watching anime for almost two decades, I love the movie. Everything about it. But the presentation is it's greatest asset by far. Animation, character and mechanical designs, sound - everything about the presentation is simply exceptional.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Huh? I don't think the "style over substance" approach is bad. And I think it's true - even though I actually think Redline has some substance. And (consciously) watching anime for almost two decades, I love the movie. Everything about it. But the presentation is it's greatest asset. Animation, character and mechanical designs, sound - everything about the presentation is simply exceptional.
Style over substance is an inherently negative term, though. It's also contradictory given that style is substance.

wsippel

Banned
Style over substance is an inherently negative term, though. It's also contradictory given that style is substance.
No, it's not inherently negative. That's just stupid. And I don't know what we're arguing about, anyway. I said I love the movie, and recommended it. You have a Sonoshee avatar, so I'll simply assume you love the movie as well.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Right, master. Do you actually have anything to say, or am I supposed to just believe that statement to be absolute?
Film is too varied, dynamic, and open for possibilities for what you said to be true. You can do a lot of things with film that don't involve depth in narrative and still be an accomplished piece of art, ie - a good movie.

And I don't know what we're arguing about, anyway.
I dislike use of bad phrases like that. Sorry for jumping out at you even if we feel the same way!

iavi

Film is too varied, dynamic, and open for possibilities for what you said to be true. You can do a lot of things with film that don't involve depth in narrative and still be an accomplished piece of art, ie - a good movie.

You're still stating with the expectation that I just believe. Ineffective. What kind of possibilities are we looking at? If you're going to run around calling viewpoints shallow, you need to do more than voice ego when backing it up.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh god and her precure costume has spats too?

It's like if Jupiter and Kanbaru had a baby. I wouldn't put it past Kanbaru to somehow pull that off either!

Smile Precure is the premiere anime for those of us with an appreciation for spats. What are you waiting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom