• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Manga's art? Not really. It's distinctly average at best from what I've seen (mainly pages from that infamous rape scene*).

*which was later redacted as being sorta-rape

TSB's art is unimaginative, but drawn well, imo. A tad above average, maybe?

Risette

A Good Citizen
That's why I said if!
In any case, I wouldn't. It's a slide into film revisionist territory. If it was shot on film it should look like film. Miyazaki agrees with me! He wanted all the new transfers to stay true to their filmic origins. And he has digital grain and gate weave added to his digital Ghibli movies (Ponyo at least) so he clearly likes the look.

Rinne No Lagrange: Episode 08

Oh, look, they're all friends having a good time and letting us know they've seen Top Gun.

The chairman is coming to check things out. I wonder if it'll be a grumpy, old general or someth- NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. GOD, WHY?!
Am I watching a different show by mistake? Augh! What the heck, okay, random groping by a ten year old kid. At this point, why am I still surprised?
And my poor, poor Lan. : (
I'll always believe in wan.

The way everyone is treating what happened with Madoka's vox, you'd think something horrible happened. The only thing I can recall was suddenly lots of flowers that didn't really do anything. Am I forgetting something? I mean, it's like she destroyed an entire continent, the way they're reacting to this. Sure, whatever, I guess it's bad or something.

20,000 year old civilization, eh? Alright, I guess this will mean Madoka's sister will finally be able to contribute something other than her personality to the story. About time, darn it. Ugh, I can't stand that chairman's granddaughter. Miss Sunshine Yellow and her stupid parasol. I hope this is a very, very small part.
And Lan gets scared, d'awww

OH NO, MADOKA CAN'T FLY BECAUSE FLOWERS MIGHT HAPPEN.
Fight the good fight, girls.
But, of course, Madoka bows out gracefully and everyone hugs again.

CHAIRS

Wait, what's this?! That's why the guy in the maid-suit looked so familiar! Village has his hands in everything going on in this show, apparently. Wouldn't surprise me if those penguins from the seaworld were reporting back to him.
And Moid making curious conversation with the king?! Hmm, maybe this show can be saved after all.

Honestly, this episode felt like a total waste of time, outside of the very ending minutes. The grounding of Midori and talking about the 20,000 year old civilization should have been covered in a half of an episode. Not to mention production felt stretched pretty thin on this episode. LOOK AT THE TREE TRUNK LEGS, ACK! There was just a lot of ugly art everywhere in this episode, and I hope it isn't a sign of things to come.

Here's hoping to next week, although the preview didn't inspire much confidence in me...

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
In any case, I wouldn't. It's a slide into film revisionist territory. If it was shot on film it should look like film. Miyazaki agrees with me! He wanted all the new transfers to stay true to their filmic origins. And he has digital grain and gate weave added to his digital Ghibli movies (Ponyo at least) so he clearly likes the look.

Well, I can certainly understand your position here, the grain is a part of the film.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Guilty Crown 3

She's no CG, you asshole! She's sensitive, you know!

S4fd4.jpg

Jesus Christ, what am I getting into.

Thoraxes

Guilty Crown 3

She's no CG, you asshole! She's sensitive, you know!

Jesus Christ, what am I getting into.

I bailed out at episode 7, but after hearing how much of a trainwreck it's becoming (or something), I almost want to pick it back up again.

survivor

Banned
I bailed out of GC after the first episode. I knew nothing can save this mess and I can get my wheelchair moe from the screens/gifs you guys take

Risette

A Good Citizen
Well, I can certainly understand your position here, the grain is a part of the film.
Exactly. The grain is part of the original and always has been -- it should remain. Removing it is film revisionism -- the way it looks on the negative or how it looked in theaters was never a series of clean moving animation cels. It was film with grain.

Removing dirt/scratches/misc. damage is okay though.

Sket Dance 43

This is a pretty weird episode for this series. It has a much more manic sense of visual humor and energetic pacing than is the norm, and the characters were drawn quite differently with a lot of stylized and distorted faces. It fit perfectly with the slapstick romantic comedy material.

So it was no surprise to see that Shinichi Watanabe, director of Excel Saga, directed and storyboarded this episode. I mean, I haven't seen Excel Saga myself yet, but this comes pretty close to what I imagine its style of humor is like from all that I've heard about it.

Hey Anime-GAF, I'm not a hardcore Anime follower, however I feel that I am what I would consider a moderate fan of Anime. I like what I like, but I hate what I hate and there is no where in between. I can really like some things, and I can really hate some others. I really enjoy really good animation and I really dislike other stuff. I'm more of a fan of serious Anime I think.

So, what I'm looking for here is recommendations of series for me to watch and catch up on. I've been out of things for a while and I'd like to watch some Anime having just watched Break Blade and enjoying the f'n shit out of it I'm keen to re-establish my kinship with Anime and I am hoping you all can help me out.

I'm sure my taste will be an odd sort and will be disdained by many because it will probably be dirty mainstream stuff that I like, but so be it, but I think there is some pretty out there stuff that I like as well.

I really can't stand some of the stupid childish fooling around that some serious anime interjects with their show (such as the 'Haro' in Gundam - I don't understand wtf that shit is and it's always there....)

I'm a big big fan of Mecha, so keep that in mind.

Anyway, I'll list of a bunch that I like or have liked in the past and hope that you guys will be able to recommend some stuff to me that I may like.

I'm currently aware of Aquarion EVOL, Lagrange, FLCL, Diebuster, Excel Saga, Eureka Seven and Gundam AGE, however I have not watched them yet. They will all be a good starting point I think.

Gundam - I LOVE Gundam, can't get enough of it, I personally think that Gundam is perfection in Anime for my tastes.
Gurren Laggaan - I'm sure we can all agree that there has been nothing else like it and probably never will be, what an epicly awesome amazingness.
Break Blade - I really liked the different take on mecha using 'magic' to control it, it was a really nice fresh look at it, and it sort of reminded me a bit of escaflowne, medieval / mecha mix - give me more of this!!
Escaflowne
Evangelion - I loved this when I was younger, and I am thoroughly enjoying the remakes, however I don't know if I could labor through it any more. I tried to give RahXephon a go but it just grinded on me and I couldn't stand it... it felt just way too much like it was trying to be Evangelion... I don't know why I can't stand it but I can't...
Ghost in the Shell - Movies and TV series are great.
Hajime no Ippo - I love the whole "charge up super punch" thing and come from behind loser type story I think but I tried the show that was smiliar to the but about Basketball but didn't like it... I think called Slam Dunk?
Macross - Love em all, especially Zero
Patlabor - not bad, but not great, a bit slow maybe for my liking?
Super Robot Wars - Like this a lot but I can't find it all.
Death Note - Loved the idea and concept behind this, a good anime overall.

They are all the main ones that I'd list I suppose, I've seen Dead Leaves, Blade of the Immortal, Black Lagoon, Berserk, Claymore, 07-Ghost, Hunter-X, One Piece, Naruto, Champloo, Solty Rei, Spriggan, Wonderful Days, Tekkaman, Gatchaman, Code Geass, DMC, Ergo Proxy, Full Metal, Initial D and that's about all I can think of now.

I'm also up for hyper violence any day of the week if it's available, but not really hentai but I'm not adverse to it, just never really see anything with it.

I also like all of Studio Ghibli's stuff immensly but that's sort of a different category as I'm thinking about TV series here.

Thanks for any recommendations that you can find for me :D

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you haven't watched Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket or Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team, I suggest you check out both.

Outlaw star is another good choice, assuming you weren't part of the Toonami generation.

iavi

Blade of the Immortal 1

Well, that was about as straightforward as structure as it gets; reason, and eventual result set from the first ep. Production is Bee Train's usual levels of lazy, and the direction is all out of wack, but the ost does seem good, if not a bit overbearing, and it looks like the narrative could make a few interesting stops, so I'll stick with it. OP's awesome. ED's alright.

Koisuru Boukun OVA 1

That was pretty shitty. I was hoping that there'd be a bit of nuance to the whole thing with the Sempai not being gay, but of course that was made a simple joke (as I should have expected, really). There's another ep to this OVA series, but I'm off the train.

Cwarrior

Steins gate ova ep25

Dat engrish
Dat mad scentist

Enjoyable bonus fanservice episode giving fans more okabe antics goodness, it's nice to know white fox knows what fans liked about steins gate.

it's did have more story in there then I was expecting with it being an after story and not a beach or spa ep like what you would expect from most anime ova's.

finaly showing suzah's mother was a nice bonus

Diebuster's soundtrack is pretty great.

My main problem with both works is that they take about three episodes to get to the interesting part. That's too long for six-episode OVAs.

I can kind of understand that, but I would say Diebuster's first 3 have excellent world building and really make you want to know what happens next. The final 3 are just pure badassery. Best of both worlds.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm a big big fan of Mecha, so keep that in mind.
Watch Shin Mazinger Z.

Ghost in the Shell - Movies and TV series are great.
Have you seen the second movie, Innocence? If not, watch it. It's good.
Patlabor - not bad, but not great, a bit slow maybe for my liking?
Series or the first OVA + 2 movies? The first OVA and the 2 movies were directed by Mamoru Oshii, director of the Ghost in the Shell movies. Watch those if you haven't.

Another Oshii movie I'd like to recommend is Angel's Egg. It's great.

I also like all of Studio Ghibli's stuff immensly but that's sort of a different category as I'm thinking about TV series here.
You could check out the series' that Miyazaki and Takahata made before the establishment of Ghibli. Future Boy Conan, Anne of Green Gables, Marco, etc. They're basically like Ghibli series.

I also recommend their pre-Ghibli movies like Gauche the Cellist and Castle of Cagliostro. Also, if you haven't seen Only Yesterday (Ghibli movie unreleased in the US) I also recommend that. It's the best Ghibli movie.

I also just want to throw out a Redline recommendation, unrelated to any of the above. It's just awesome.

Hey Anime-GAF,

Stuff I would recommend for Death Note fans: Kaiji, One Outs, Mirai Nikki.
Stuff I would recommend for Gurren Lagann fans: Shin Mazinger Z, Diebuster (female Gurren Lagann essentially), Mazinkaiser SKL.

Depending on how much you like the shounen shows you listed (One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, etc) I could recommend a lot more.

Instro

Smile Precure 4

Cure March's transformation is weaker than Sunny and Peace, but she made up for it with a good battle. Cure Peace kind of stole the episode with that rock paper scissors bit.

Sounds pretty compelling, both in premise and with him at the helm.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Guilty Crown 4

That was actually pretty cool. And so is the OST.

Although the lead-up to that sequence was ridiculous. Do they really expect me to just go with the notion that
the terrorist leader can put on a fake beard and get inside the government's HQ to talk to another terrorist as his lawyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom