• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

DemWalls

That's not the only thing that's similar to Dead Space. The story just goes off the rails and shit gets really twisted and reminded me a lot of Dead Space. Being a huge Souls fan, the story in The Surge kills anything from Dark Souls.

Interesting. Have you played LotF? Even if the genres are very different, can you make a comparison regarding the "quality" of the story?

Moff

is there any kind of online features à la dark souls? has there been in lords of the fallen?

I would also like to know what kind of variety the game offers in combat, what kind of weapons you can use, if you have to skill your character or anything like that, and what kind of utility abilities are there available?

I have to say the limb targeting looks really interesting

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That's not the only thing that's similar to Dead Space. The story just goes off the rails and shit gets really twisted and reminded me a lot of Dead Space. Being a huge Souls fan, the story in The Surge kills anything from Dark Souls.

Well that's interesting to hear. The start of the game which I didn't watch much of but once I saw how unique and Half Life-ish it turned out to be that was very heartening for my expectations. I did hear from some that the story kind of falls off as the game goes off but that might be a YMMV thing but its good to hear some people think pretty highly of it. Hype continues to rise. Can't wait to see the reviews tomorrow.

Corpekata

Banned

They do, but you have to have an implant to see it.

Do they do anything with Blandy McBlandhero or is he another waste like the LoTF guy?

*Splinter

"but what I really liked about Souls is the character creator..."

Of all the Souls comparisons used to criticise this game, this is the funniest. As if you can even see your character under all the armour, or Souls games are wall to wall cutscenes

Interesting. Have you played LotF? Even if the genres are very different, can you make a comparison regarding the "quality" of the story?

The story starts off like your average "WTF is going on". As you progress, it ramps up and with the help of NPCs, you start the question exactly what is going on. However, the story gets better assuming you can find/discover certain "hidden" things along the way. At times there is a story within the story if you collect audio logs and piece them together.

Concerning LotF, I tried to like it but I stopped midway. The story was bland and the gameplay put me off. Complete 180 in The Surge.

Do they do anything with Blandy McBlandhero or is he another waste like the LoTF guy?

Sadly, that would spoil the game.

Theorry

Armor looks crazy haha.

RightAdventurousAlbertosaurus.gif

CostlyParchedEasternglasslizard.gif

SilentRob

I played a fair amount of Surge and the writing is just as terrible and uninspired as in Lords of the Fallen imo. Even if it wasn't: Comparing it to the incredibly well-thought out lore and world of Dark Souls can only be detrimental to The Surge. I haven't met a single noteworthy character so far.

Doesn't change how cool the game is imo, but it's story certainly doesn't seem to be the reason to buy it. I'm certainly ready for it to get better after the first 4 hours, but the Twists don't really matter too much to me if the writing just isn't good enough to support them. And so far, I haven't seen anything from the lore, characters or dialogues that inspired any kind of interest in me, other than the very first 10 minutes.

is there any kind of online features à la dark souls? has there been in lords of the fallen?

I would also like to know what kind of variety the game offers in combat, what kind of weapons you can use, if you have to skill your character or anything like that, and what kind of utility abilities are there available?

I have to say the limb targeting looks really interesting

No, this is a single player and non-online affair. Mainly due to this being story driven.

Lakitu

st5fu
All I want to know is, please tell me the heavily industrialised areas are just early game locations? It looks so bland. And secondly, is it difficult?

ekim

Games.ch put their review out early. Was removed now but Google Cache is still active:
https://webcache.googleusercontent....e/test/review-gyv/+&cd=11&hl=de&ct=clnk&gl=de

85/100
Their pros:
  • Atmosphere
  • clever and important dismemberment system
  • sophisticated combat system
  • motivating upgrade system
  • strong level design
  • tense boss fights
  • very good German dub
  • well done presented... (see cons)

Their cons:
  • ...but banal story
  • errors in finishing move animations
  • sometimes you need to grind

AdamT

Of all the Souls comparisons used to criticise this game, this is the funniest. As if you can even see your character under all the armour, or Souls games are wall to wall cutscenes
I'm happy you think a person's opinion is a joke to you. Most of my magic, troll and cosplay builds headgear(or lack thereof) has their face exposed or wears gear that fits the aforementioned play style that isn't a hulking mess. It's not about seeing them in custscenes either. That misses the point. It's about personalizing your character. Hidden behind a helmet or not, some people feel attached to something they created in these type of games. The main character and story is uninspiring to me just like in LOTF, so yes, customization would be more enticing. As mentioned before, I admire the decision to stick with a single protagonist in a story-driven game if done well. However, in this genre, if you strip away the story or have played through it once and heard all the narrative beats already, playing as someone I created is more appealing to me.

Corpekata

Banned
Oh hey Steam page says 7 hours, didn't notice they changed it from their generic unlock time, sweet.

Hopefully 3rd party sites release keys before that, or close to it at least, still waiting on Gamersgate.

Listonosh

I am very interested in playing this. I didn't play LoF but this game looks pretty fucking awesome where LoF looked kinda meh.

I'd recommend only playing LoF to see what a DS clone feels like when it's done wrong. I know there are people that enjoy the game, and I don't fault them, but even some of them have to agree that compared to dark souls, it's a poor imitation.

The Surge on the other hand feels more inspired by the subgenre, rather than directly copying it. There are similar mechanics, sure, but The Surge separates itself by introducing a lot of unique mechanics that are far different to standard souls-like games.

But also, we might be drawn to the sci-fi setting, since dark fantasy is generally the go-to for Souls-like games.

Good to hear, thanks. Is the world Interconnected ala Dark Souls or is it similar to something like Ni-Oh, or just straight up level by level?

Actually, it's a bit of both. Areas are separated by a train, so they're self contained explorable spaces, however, those areas are really well interconnected, with many paths and shortcuts. So I think DS1 fans will be very happy with that.

Donos

Armor looks crazy haha.

RightAdventurousAlbertosaurus.gif

CostlyParchedEasternglasslizard.gif

Nice. If the combat animations and gameplay flow can keep up, i'm going to get that. A bit tired of FROM souls games atm (trophy plat in DeS, DaS, BB and half way through DaS II) so this looks like right up my scifi taste. Espescially liked the armors in Dead Space (1 and 2, didn't play 3).

Ever heard of Fashion Souls? I spend hours creating my character and I always rock head gear to see their face

No creator is a huge drawback for me

grmlin

Ever heard of Fashion Souls? I spend hours creating my character and I always rock head gear to see their face

I always get bored of all the switches and sliders in a matter of minutes and start playing with whatever the game has to offer lol.

Very interested in this. Backlog too big though atm, so I'll wait for now.

Listonosh

But Fashion souls doesn't really have all that much to do with character creation. Rather rocking the various amounts armor, because it looks cool. I mean, yea, if you specifically wear headgear to see your character's face, then I can sort of see the disappointment, but nearly all of the head gear in The Surge covers your face, and you're pretty much not going to want to go without wearing a piece of head gear.

burgerdog

I'm a huge souls fan and even played through lords of the fallen and yet this is my first time hearing about this game. Will wait for reviews, I wasn't a big fan of the combat in lords.

Top Bottom