• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

nkarafo

Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible.

Edit: from what I read what can be done is just to replace some normal courses with DLC course by renaming the files and copying them over the old ones.
Ah, yes, i did that already. It feels wrong though. A proper, complete version like in the WiiU would be nice.

Mivey

Anyone tried this with wine? No Linux/BSD release and not open source is kinda crap. Counters the whole "we do this for preservation" point.

You want decaf, it can currently boot some games
https://github.com/decaf-emu/decaf-emu
CEMU seems so far ahead, I doubt decaf will ever really catch up. Do they have no plans on providing a Linux port? At least opening up the source code would allow others to try and getting it to run there, even if the devs don't wanna touch it.

UltraJay

So I can use DDD to dump games from my Wii U now. What part of that data can CEMU read from that? Or do I need to dump an img file? I think another homebrew app is capable of that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So I can use DDD to dump games from my Wii U now. What part of that data can CEMU read from that? Or do I need to dump an img file? I think another homebrew app is capable of that.

In \Vol\Code there is a .rpx file. That's what you can open with CEMU.

CEMU seems so far ahead, I doubt decaf will ever really catch up. Do they have no plans on providing a Linux port? At least opening up the source code would allow others to try and getting it to run there, even if the devs don't wanna touch it.

On their site they said they want doing ports later. I might try this out later with a windows running inside a qemu container.

jediyoshi

Keep in mind Dolphin was a closed source project for 5 years, Cemu is only past its first birthday. They've always said they were open to opening the project if progress stalled out. By virtue of Decaf being open source, you should assume it eventually catch up. Regardless, if that's what you value, actual progress on either should be irrelevant.

Teletraan1

Banned
Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible.

Edit: from what I read what can be done is just to replace some normal courses with DLC course by renaming the files and copying them over the old ones.

So does it actually dump the DLC courses but they are inaccessible without some form of copying? Hopefully someone can figure out a more elegant solution.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Thanks! There's some talk about needing to play more of the title in order to dump "rpl" files. Are those needed for CEMU?

This I don't know. Playing more of the title I assume it's linked to the shader cache? In the sense that the first time you play in an area where it has to render a lot of things it stutters but then it runs well?

So does it actually dump the DLC courses but they are inaccessible without some form of copying? Hopefully someone can figure out a more elegant solution.

Yes, the DLC data is included when you dump a digital game, in a separate folder as far as I saw.

NeoBob688

So I have been playing Zelda Wind Waker HD and all I can really say is...

WOW!

Flawless audio, wonderful graphics, and seemingly running at full speed based on Outset Island. Some minor stutter on initial loading of areas but nothing major.

Incredible.

Vuze

Hm, how would we got about playing games that require touchscreen input on TV / just with a Xbox One controller? Just occured to me that my Captain Toad 4K playthrough will probably not be as hassle-free as expected :v
I guess pairing my Bluetooth KBM combo thingy to my PC and use it for these sections could work out provided the cursor will show up. Will do some testing tonight.
On another thought, the PS4 controller and the touchpad could be handy for the very first time lol.

E: Oh shit, the latter actually works great. DS4 redeemed

Seik

Banned
Hm, how would we got about playing games that require touchscreen input on TV / just with a Xbox One controller? Just occured to me that my Captain Toad 4K playthrough will probably not be as hassle-free as expected :v
I guess pairing my Bluetooth KBM combo thingy to my PC and use it for these sections could work out provided the cursor will show up. Will do some testing tonight.
On another thought, the PS4 controller and the touchpad could be handy for the very first time lol.

E: Oh shit, the latter actually works great. DS4 redeemed

W-W-What?

Am I understanding right? The DS4 touchpad works as some kind of touchscreen input?

Vuze

W-W-What?

Am I understanding right? The DS4 touchpad works as some kind of touchscreen input?
Yeah. Cemu emulates touchscreen input via mouse clicks in the rendered window. Set the touchpad of the DS4 to act like a mouse trackpad in DS4Windows. Voila :)

tensuke

Yeah. Cemu emulates touchscreen input via mouse clicks in the rendered window. Set the touchpad of the DS4 to act like a mouse trackpad in DS4Windows. Voila :)

Switching to the gamepad is ctrl+tab right? I bet you could set a touchpad button to do that (maybe top click or double tap) so you could switch with it too. That's real interesting, such a versatile controller.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
How difficult is it to rip a Wii U game so that you can use it for this emulator? Same thing for Wii games. I'd love to try out both Dolphin and this and would probably start buying these games if I could do it effortlessly.

jediyoshi

3rd time having to rerender the improvements preview video, never gonna deal with 4k video again ;_;

Switching to the gamepad is ctrl+tab right? I bet you could set a touchpad button to do that (maybe top click or double tap) so you could switch with it too. That's real interesting, such a versatile controller.

Using Steam, my set up is touching the left side of the touchpad activates gyro to control the mouse cursor, right touchpad click is mouse click for touch (and blow mic in Cemu). I find dragging around the touchpad to move the mouse when you're also using touchpad click for mouse click is pretty annoying.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Is there a possibility to map the gyro in the Gamepad to the gyro in the Steam controller? I haven't seen anything regarding mapping the gyro of the Gamepad.

jediyoshi

Is there a possibility to map the gyro in the Gamepad to the gyro in the Steam controller? I haven't seen anything regarding mapping the gyro of the Gamepad.

You can emulate gyro gamepad functionality, but it's rudimentary compared to having access to all axes (and you can't 1:1 map it over to a controller). You hold right click and drag over the screen.

Veelk

Banned
So you need to specifically patch games to change the internal resolution?

Does this mean you have to wait for patches for certain games to come out?

I think Wonderful 101 will benefit from this given the times that the framerate takes a hit.

jediyoshi

So you need to specifically patch games to change the internal resolution?

Does this mean you have to wait for patches for certain games to come out?

They have a very basic layout.

graphicPack\nameforgraphicpack\rules.txt

[Definition]
titleIds = 0005000010170700 # you can find the titleid in log.txt after you run the game
name = "nameofgraphicpack" # name it shows up as in menu

[TextureRedefine]
# game's original resolution
width = 1280
height = 720
# desired new resolution
overwriteWidth = 3840
overwriteHeight = 2160

This covers many instances of needing to adjust resolution.

Seik

Banned
They have a very basic layout.

graphicPack\nameforgraphicpack\rules.txt

[Definition]
titleIds = 0005000010170700 # you can find the titleid in log.txt after you run the game
name = "nameofgraphicpack" # name it shows up as in menu

[TextureRedefine]
# game's original resolution
width = 1280
height = 720
# desired new resolution
overwriteWidth = 3840
overwriteHeight = 2160

Thanks for this little tutorial!

I'm gonna apply it to a couple of games tonight...

I don't think W101 works well though, that's a shame! The day where it'll work good will be a day of festivities!

EDIT: IIRC Fast Racing Neo doesn't boot, maaan, the day when I'll run this in 4K. :O

jediyoshi

Minor update released

# New in 1.7.0b:

GX2: Minor graphic pack related bug fixes
GX2: Fixed a rare bug which could cause textures to get corrupted

Looks to fix the 4k graphic pack not working with US XCX

OmegaX06

Is the 2500k not high enough spec for this? I had lots of straight up freezing and stuttering in both Mario Kart and Xenoblade. Sometimes the freezes would last a good 4-5 seconds.

jediyoshi

Is the 2500k not high enough spec for this? I had lots of straight up freezing and stuttering in both Mario Kart and Xenoblade. Sometimes the freezes would last a good 4-5 seconds.

The stuttering is related to shader generation, the more you play, the more it goes away as it gets cached. It's generally happening every time something that hasn't appeared yet shows up.

Seik

Banned
The stuttering is related to shader generation, the more you play, the more it goes away as it gets cached. It's generally happening every time something that hasn't appeared yet shows up.

Is that related to the VRAM solution they tried to implement before the latest update but got canned at the last minute?

Hopefully a solution will be found soon, still, CEMU is making tremendous progress at each new versions.

My bad if that's a whole other issue.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Minor update released

# New in 1.7.0b:

It fixed Xenoblade X for me, indeed.

jediyoshi

1.7.0 Improvements Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxY_gP3Zo7I

AFaM1U5.jpg

Is that related to the VRAM solution they tried to implement before the latest update but got canned at the last minute?

No, this is the reason that stutter has occurred since the beginning and on other emulators. The VRAM usage reduction is what it sounds like. The transferable shader cache in 1.7.0 is the solution.

Okay, so, is there currently any way of mitigating the shader loading stuttering in Super Mario 3D World? Besides this issue I get 60fps.

Okay, so, is there currently any way of mitigating the shader loading stuttering in Super Mario 3D World? Besides this issue I get 60fps.
play through the entire thing once, probably

i imagine once they've been generated someone will make a repository somewhere where you can download shader caches

So I can't update my 1.7.0 to the b version right? NOw that the shadercache has its own proper folder, can i move it over to the new version or do I have to start all over again?

jediyoshi

So I can't update my 1.7.0 to the b version right? NOw that the shadercache has its own proper folder, can i move it over to the new version or do I have to start all over again?

All updates can be done by overwriting the old files with the new. The point of the shader cache update is that you now keep the cache from old versions.

Seik

Banned
Hey jediyoshi, may you please share with me...what do you use to take these 4K shots?

I'm used to just do a good old print screen then paste it on paint, but it only seems to give me 1080p shots.

charpunk

Minor update released

# New in 1.7.0b:

Well I guess that's why I couldn't get my rip to work then. Can't wait to get home to try this.

jediyoshi

Hey jediyoshi, may you please share with me...what do you use to take these 4K shots?

I'm used to just do a good old print screen then paste it on paint, but it only seems to give me 1080p shots.

shift+print screen captures a full resolution image into your clipboard, still need to manually save it. ultimately i still downsample them in photoshop to 1920x1080 for effect, i guess i could be accomplishing the same thing just regular print screening in fullscreen.

Seik

Banned
shift+print screen captures a full resolution image into your clipboard, still need to manually save it. ultimately i still downsample them in photoshop to 1920x1080 for effect, i guess i could be accomplishing the same thing just regular print screening in fullscreen.

It workie, thanks! :)

Can't upload PNG though since it's more than 10mb...a shame.

3ds5ki5.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
1.7.0 Improvements Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxY_gP3Zo7I

AFaM1U5.jpg

No, this is the reason that stutter has occurred since the beginning and on other emulators. The VRAM usage reduction is what it sounds like. The transferable shader cache in 1.7.0 is the solution.

I posted about it in the emulation subreddit, but I'll share here that before uploading content to youtube you really should upscale it to 4K. By nature it isn't actually increasing the resolution of the original content and potentially even makes it a bit worse (scaling artifacts) BUT 4K content on Youtube is given a MUCH higher bitrate, and the exact same footage will look loads better simply from the bitrate bump. It would make those zoom in comparisons much less necessary, because you'll be able to better see t he difference just showing them side by side at full frame size.

jediyoshi

I posted about it in the emulation subreddit, but I'll share here that before uploading content to youtube you really should upscale it to 4K. By nature it isn't actually increasing the resolution of the original content and potentially even makes it a bit worse (scaling artifacts) BUT 4K content on Youtube is given a MUCH higher bitrate, and the exact same footage will look loads better simply from the bitrate bump. It would make those zoom in comparisons much less necessary, because you'll be able to better see t he difference just showing them side by side at full frame size.

This is contingent on viewers actively switching to view in 4k. Anecdotally, such a small number of people do this, I'd rather zoom in and make the difference pronounced to a majority of people at every resolution rather than keep full frame and have to explain a million more times in comments for them to up their viewing res. At best/most, people are viewing in 1080p, and me uploading that 1080p source directly at their max allowed bitrate results in a better transcode than their automatic ones.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This is contingent on viewers actively switching to view in 4k. Anecdotally, such a small number of people do this, I'd rather zoom in and make the difference pronounced to a majority of people at every resolution rather than keep full frame and have to explain a million more times in comments for them to up their viewing res. At best/most, people are viewing in 1080p, and me uploading that 1080p source directly at their max allowed bitrate results in a better transcode than their automatic ones.

You could keep the source content the same but just upscale at 4K before upload, but yeah you've already considered the options and figured what works best for you, so that's cool.

Seik

Banned
So I played quite a bit with CEMU yesterday.

Ran into the following issue.

-Pikmin 3 runs PERFECT, I was in awe, until the point where I had to look at the koppad (or something like that) to pinpoint Mr. Poopalot, The map was showing on the screen but nothing else, so I was stuck.

-Xenoblade X ran OK in 4K but I wasn't able to see much because I got stuck at the part where I had to enter my name.

-Mario Kart 8 runs multiplayer in 720p, even in 4K.

There's a turn around for my two first problems, I would just have to get my saves from the Wii U, but that's two finished game that I wanted to restart...so...yep. :/

Still, all that shit, especially Pikmin, in 4K was beautiful!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You can click with the mouse on the gamepad map in Pikmin 3 once you switch the view to it. I don't know if you need to switch to the touch controls for that.

And the normal PC keyboard should work for writing your name in Xenoblade X.

Seik

Banned
You can click with the mouse on the gamepad map in Pikmin 3 once you switch the view to it. I don't know if you need to switch to the touch controls for that.

And the normal PC keyboard should work for writing your name in Xenoblade X.

Pikmin 3 - Yeah I know I can use the mouse as a gamepad/stylus, I switched to gamepad view and everything. I don't know if there was supposed to be a marker to show where I was or where I was supposed to search because only thing it showed me was the map, no sounds or anything else. I was able to move on the map but there was nothing to find, after 5 minutes of clicking everywhere I gave up. I know I was SUPPOSED to find something on it because I was stuck there.

Xenoblade - Weird, I tried the keyboard and it didn't work...will try again.

Seik

Banned
Internal resolution change aside, did we get any significant performance improvements? Less stuttering, at least?

The shader folder helps A LOT.

It cumulates all the shaders as you play (so it will lag at every first time you see a new one) and loads everything you got previously when you boot a game, saving yourself a lot of stutters.

Top Bottom