• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

BumRush

Not sure if it was the 8 hours of sleep, the leftover chicken tikka masala and risotto I had for lunch or what, but squats went down like fish in a barrel today.

I've not noticed any change in energy from my cutting yet, but I'm wondering if it might not make as much difference for me due to working out fasted.

I've not noticed any change in energy from my cutting yet, but I'm wondering if it might not make as much difference for me due to working out fasted.
Maybe.

I've also been up since 2am and my 1st rep was at 4pm.

Still hitting my numbers but I still feel drained.

I'd guess how drained you should feel would depend on how much sleep you had before that point. For me, that's always the key to a good cut... ridiculous amounts of sleep.

I'd guess how drained you should feel would depend on how much sleep you had before that point. For me, that's always the key to a good cut... ridiculous amounts of sleep.
I'm lacking. The past month has been rough. I don't feel weak and my strength is there but I'm not motivated today. Just a bit drained.

I've been bitching too much about it lately. Need to suck it up and get thru the stress.

I've gained a few pounds, sitting in at 185, and I've also cut out unwanted carbs, and have been shedding fat in my stomach. Weird to gain weight while shedding fat. My large shorts don't fit as good anymore.

Barrage

Question about Step-counters/Pedometers....

I've been using the Android App Pedometer to track my steps the last five months. Today, I just happened to check the settings and realized they've had me as a 150 Pound guy (i'm 210). I fixed it and all of a sudden my calorie burning SKYROCKETED. Thing is, I think it's too high now.

For example, today the app says I burned 750 calories in 15,000 steps (2:30 of walking throughout the day, to/from/during work). Does that seem accurate? Way off?

Thorakai

Hi Fitness GAF!

First time posting. I'm 5'11'' and started at around 205-215 (can't recall) pounds August of last year. Moved to D.C. and changed my diet for the better and incorporated regular exercise and now I'm at 165 lbs. Probably the healthiest I've been in a looong time (25 years old now).

Thing is I didn't really follow a set program before, but now I'm thinking it's time to seriously concentrate on building muscle. I am going to follow the Candito Linear Training program in the OP. But this is the first time I will ever track my calories. I used the myfitnesspal website and its telling me that my maintenance calorie intake is 2,190 calories (assuming sedentary lifestyle and factoring no additional exercise). I tried loading up on calories today but I feel a bit daunted by the amount that I need to eat in order to build muscle. Makes me think I should re-evaluate how I approach my diet before jumping right into upping my calorie intake, I'm nervous about reversing the progress I've made losing weight if I don't do things correctly....I've made a ton of great progress as is.

Does anyone have any good reading or suggestion to someone new about watching calories? Should this be something that is on my mind now, or should I concentrate on following the program and see what happens to my gains? I get the sense that going for straight big calorie surplus at this point may be a bad idea and I should aim for calorie maintenance instead.

Any help for newbie is appreciated!

Hi Fitness GAF!

First time posting. I'm 5'11'' and started at around 205-215 (can't recall) pounds August of last year. Moved to D.C. and changed my diet for the better and incorporated regular exercise and now I'm at 165 lbs. Probably the healthiest I've been in a looong time (25 years old now).

Thing is I didn't really follow a set program before, but now I'm thinking it's time to seriously concentrate on building muscle. I am going to follow the Candito Linear Training program in the OP. But this is the first time I will ever track my calories. I used the myfitnesspal website and its telling me that my maintenance calorie intake is 2,190 calories (assuming sedentary lifestyle and factoring no additional exercise). I tried loading up on calories today but I feel a bit daunted by the amount that I need to eat in order to build muscle. Makes me think I should re-evaluate how I approach my diet before jumping right into upping my calorie intake, I'm nervous about reversing the progress I've made losing weight if I don't do things correctly....I've made a ton of great progress as is.

Does anyone have any good reading or suggestion to someone new about watching calories? Should this be something that is on my mind now, or should I concentrate on following the program and see what happens to my gains? I get the sense that going for straight big calorie surplus at this point may be a bad idea and I should aim for calorie maintenance instead.

Any help for newbie is appreciated!

I suggest taking it slow with adding calories. Try adding 200 or 300 instead of the usual 500 and see how you do at the gym. If lifts start suffering and you arent progressing, then add more calories.

Whats your bodyfat % guestimate btw?

Question about Step-counters/Pedometers....

I've been using the Android App Pedometer to track my steps the last five months. Today, I just happened to check the settings and realized they've had me as a 150 Pound guy (i'm 210). I fixed it and all of a sudden my calorie burning SKYROCKETED. Thing is, I think it's too high now.

For example, today the app says I burned 750 calories in 15,000 steps (2:30 of walking throughout the day, to/from/during work). Does that seem accurate? Way off?
750 seems like a high estimate, but 2.5 hours of walking is a good 600 calories for sure.

Thorakai

I suggest taking it slow with adding calories. Try adding 200 or 300 instead of the usual 500 and see how you do at the gym. If lifts start suffering and you arent progressing, then add more calories.

Whats your bodyfat % guestimate btw?

Anywhere between 20-25% if images are to go by.

Edit - Unrelated... anyone here particularly worry about their sodium intake? To the best of my knowledge, my blood pressure is on the low side (definitely not high), so I've always wondered if I actually need to be particularly concerned by it. I think the only things I eat that have a significant amount are salted popcorn (you can take that out of my cold hypertensive hands), pizza and sometimes a pre-made pasta sauce.

Edit 2 - Oh god, it's another one of those subjects where no-one seems to have a fucking clue. Doing some reading on it and there's plenty of evidence on both sides. YAY SCIENCE!

Plus this fun nugget: "low-salt diets could have side effects: when salt intake is cut, the body responds by releasing renin and aldosterone, an enzyme and a hormone, respectively, that increase blood pressure".

Apparently sodium is actually required by the body, but really not to the extent to which we eat them in junk food. But going to the other extreme isn't good for you either. I guess keeping an eye on it is the way to go.

However, I think the biggest issue (and one that I've been trying to monitor) is potassium intake. There's some evidence that the ratio of potassium to sodium is fairly important, perhaps more than the actual numbers. Ideally it's 2:1 for potassium, but good luck reaching that after downing an entire bag of chips and a pizza lmao. Purely my speculation but I think if you're doing 1:1 then you're doing pretty good. Unfortunately society is so fixated on sodium alone that it's the only thing that's mandatory on nutrition labels, making potassium tracking an utter pain in the ass. Still makes me less angry than low carb zealots though.

Anyways, now I remember why I only stop in like once a month. Those food pics/discussion are terrible when dieting lol.

HawkeyeIC

Knees are slightly bothering me after 2 weeks of squatting 3x per week and a long weekend of yard work/landscaping. Should I lay off the squats this week to be safe? If so, what should I do instead?

(doing stronglifts 5x5)

However, I think the biggest issue (and one that I've been trying to monitor) is potassium intake. There's some evidence that the ratio of potassium to sodium is fairly important, perhaps more than the actual numbers. Ideally it's 2:1 for potassium, but good luck reaching that after downing an entire bag of chips and a pizza lmao. Purely my speculation but I think if you're doing 1:1 then you're doing pretty good. Unfortunately society is so fixated on sodium alone that it's the only thing that's mandatory on nutrition labels, making potassium tracking an utter pain in the ass. Still makes me less angry than low carb zealots though.

Interesting. Thanks.

In the UK potassium isn't on any food labels... so yeah, good luck tracking that here. lol

Has anyone seen Naked? Looks kind of neat, assuming you've got $550 to spend on a fitness tracking device ($1000 if you don't reserve it soon).

https://naked.fit/index_m.html?utm_...e&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=NintyFiveText

So you're basically taking a bunch of size measurements and guesstimating body fat? Neat tech, but I'm not convinced it's going to be accurate in any meaningful way.

Would be cool for looking back at yourself at different dates though.

KillerBEA

So happy to see the weight and reps just keep going up on Bench Press, after struggling and struggling to see steady progress I am finally getting some results. Switching to Benching twice a week really made a gigantic difference.

Squats are doing well too, Squatting twice a week is exploding my Squat numbers
Knees are slightly bothering me after 2 weeks of squatting 3x per week and a long weekend of yard work/landscaping. Should I lay off the squats this week to be safe? If so, what should I do instead?

(doing stronglifts 5x5)

Try foam rolling your legs. Calves, Hamstrings, and Quads. My knees were starting to bother me a lot more recently due to increased frequency and load of Squatting. Decided to foam roll my legs and back for good measure last Saturday and a lot of tightness in my legs and upper back went away. As an extra measure I decided I am gonna foam roll as the very last thing I do in the gym each week. Help keep things in check.

You could also do a partial deload if you want. Drop the weight down to 40% -50% of your max but still do the same number of sets and reps.

Dinjooh

Been on SS for 4 months now and I think it's time for something new since my progress has slowed to a halt.

My current status at 73kg (160lbs):
Squat x5: 75kg (165lbs)
Deadlift x5: 105kg (242lbs)
Bench x5: 60kg (132lbs)
OHP x5: 35kg (77lbs)
Chinups x7

I'm looking for a primarily aesthetic based program, don't really care if it's a 3 times or 4 times or whatever. Any suggestions?

Been on SS for 4 months now and I think it's time for something new since my progress has slowed to a halt.

Chinups x7

I'm looking for a primarily aesthetic based program, don't really care if it's a 3 times or 4 times or whatever. Any suggestions?
I've always responded to the one-a-day method. If I am off for a long time I'll use beginner programs that focus on compounds like SS to get back in the swing but once I'm done I move straight to one muscle group per day at 6 days per week.

Allows me to knock the ever living shit out of a group without losing energy to hit a second and I'm done in like 50 minutes.

Sun-Fri:
Legs, abs
Chest
Back
Shoulders, abs
Bis (legs again, front squats only)
Tris (legs again, calves only)

Then it's volume, volume, volume. Constantly changing my routine every 3-4 weeks for each muscle group, always starting with a compound then moving on to accessories.

There are a bunch of intermediate and advanced programs you can try. This one is just one I made and used the past 40 or so weeks.

despire

Chinups x7

You're probably just not eating enough.

I'd be fairly surprised if you couldn't get more than that out of SS at your weight, though everyone is different. I'd agree to check the nutrition / sleep game before moving on though.

Teggy

So you're basically taking a bunch of size measurements and guesstimating body fat? Neat tech, but I'm not convinced it's going to be accurate in any meaningful way.

Would be cool for looking back at yourself at different dates though.

But you'll get it, right? You have to let us know how it works :)

Plus this fun nugget: "low-salt diets could have side effects: when salt intake is cut, the body responds by releasing renin and aldosterone, an enzyme and a hormone, respectively, that increase blood pressure".

Heh and there I was thinking excess salt caused high blood pressure thus the need for diuretics to flush it out through...

Well, and I might be late on this, but you're both right. The body is such a wonderfully complicated mess. Sodium is important and that's why those mechanisms exist, so you its something that shouldn't be cut out completely but monitored, just like everything.

Hey guys. I used to go to the gym 3 times a week but sadly haven’t had time for well over a year since moving to a new city. Decided to say fuck it and get back to it recently and I’m starting out with the recommended beginner program in the OP. I’m just wondering if anyone can recommend the best way to get serious cardio in there too.

If I’m honest I’m far more interested in running than lifting but I’d still like to build my strength. Would it just be a case of running and trying to consume more calories to match up with what I’m burning so I can gain strength and mass? Are there any programs that take this sort of routine into account?

Any help is appreciated.

If I’m honest I’m far more interested in running than lifting but I’d still like to build my strength. Would it just be a case of running and trying to consume more calories to match up with what I’m burning so I can gain strength and mass?

Arguably it's best to do your cardio on the same day as your weights (after weights), but because of time issues, I've always done it on my weights rest days.

You wont progress your lifts as fast as someone having proper rest days (or improve your running as fast as someone just doing running training)... but both can be balanced.

...and there are a handful of programs out there, but the ones I've seen all need to be paid for.

sweet. my inzer belt only took 5 days to come (just ordered a black one because i'm not about that waiting game). might buy a colored one later. pray it doesn't break on me.

SeanR1221

Squats were shit yesterday. I felt worn out from my calorie deficit. So I said fuck it and went over my calories for the first time since Easter. Ate a giant sesame chicken and rice meal after the gym.

Still weighed 181 lbs.

Weight. You so crazy

But really. I've about had it at 2100 calories.

Dinjooh

I've always responded to the one-a-day method. If I am off for a long time I'll use beginner programs that focus on compounds like SS to get back in the swing but once I'm done I move straight to one muscle group per day at 6 days per week.

Allows me to knock the ever living shit out of a group without losing energy to hit a second and I'm done in like 50 minutes.

Sun-Fri:
Legs, abs
Chest
Back
Shoulders, abs
Bis (legs again, front squats only)
Tris (legs again, calves only)

Then it's volume, volume, volume. Constantly changing my routine every 3-4 weeks for each muscle group, always starting with a compound then moving on to accessories.

There are a bunch of intermediate and advanced programs you can try. This one is just one I made and used the past 40 or so weeks.

Thanks, will look into it. Looks intimidating as fuck going from three times a week to six though.

You're probably just not eating enough.

Currently eating around 500kcal over my maintenance and have been steadily gaining weight for 6 months. Some muscle, quite some fat as well.

mdsfx

From the trade show. They couldn't understand why I was taking a picture, but wasn't interested in any of their products. Had a fitgaf chuckle.

gvuEpbI.jpg

KillerBEA

^^lol

Just received my lifting straps and wrist wraps that I ordered. Perfect timing, deadlifts are tomorrow, get to test them out.
h4vADFI.jpg

Chinups x7

That's fairly similar to my results. I started at 145 and was stalled out, and people said I wasn't eating enough, so I added mostly eggs and eventually got up to 162. At that point my deadlift was 265x5, bench was 160 for 3x5, chinups were 5x5 with some weight or 3x10 with no weight, OHP was maybe 85 for 3x5 but I had to abandon that because of shoulder issues. Squat was garbage, but I'm convinced that was a form issue because my deadlift was tolerable and at times I've bicycled up to 100 miles.

Anyway, I wasn't real thrilled with the fact that with 17lb of protein-fueled weight gain, I added 2-3" to my waist and virtually nothing to chest, arms, legs, etc, and my lifting numbers didn't go up too much either. I didn't want to keep eating and just looking shittier and shittier, since let's face it, even those relatively paltry numbers are fine for anything I do OUTSIDE the gym. I no longer really saw the point in doing all that eating just to get fatter and marginally stronger (numbers that no one but me gave a single fuck about or even knew about), so I just dialed it back and called it a day. Now I just try to stay fit.

Xun

I'm not what I would call overweight at all (I get called slim at times), but how exactly can I lose fat in my face/neck?

I want to look a bit more chiselled, preferably without surgery...

I love it when you've been hitting the treadmill for a bit and get off and start walking. Feels like you are moving at light speed hahaha.

a916

What's the best place to pick up a barbell? I wouldn't even mind used... there's a sale on threaded barbells, but those sound like a PITA if you're trying to remove weight quickly (which probably won't be the case if I will use them solely for deadlifts and squats and lunges)

justjim89

Ugh, I just cannot control my appetite at all. Got down to a new low at 178 last week, but I just can't keep away from snacking. I intended to fast all day today, ended up having a snack and a snack turned into 1500 calories. Christ. Back up to 188 this morning and now I don't even wanna look at the scale for the next week.

Top Bottom