• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 System Software Firmware 4.20

Carl

PS+ automatically gets the patch doesn't it? I turned mine on the other day and it had downloaded loads of game patches. Does it do the same for system firmware?

It will download it, but it won't install as it requires you to accept the terms and conditions

patsu

Is that Wireless Stereo Headset item supposed to fix the horrible "mic feedback" they stupidly put in earlier this year that completely ruined the headset sound? I'm interested in that headset but passed on it because they completely fucked it up. If it's fixed I can put it back on my wishlist ;)

Yes... They said so in the blog.

androvsky

Is that Wireless Stereo Headset item supposed to fix the horrible "mic feedback" they stupidly put in earlier this year that completely ruined the headset sound? I'm interested in that headset but passed on it because they completely fucked it up. If it's fixed I can put it back on my wishlist ;)
That's what the sidetone stuff is about.
- When the wireless stereo headset (CECHYA-0080) is connected, you can now adjust the sidetone level for microphone audio. Select [Sidetone] under (Settings) > (Accessory Settings) > [Audio Device Settings].
--o Off: Disable microphone audio from the headset
--o 1-5: Enable microphone audio from the headset

Tiolazo

- Under (Games) > (Saved Data Utility (PS3™), you can now select multiple saved data items, and then either delete or copy them as a group.
--o You cannot use [Copy Multiple] to select data that is copy-protected.
--o Some saved data cannot be copied.
--o The upper right corner of the screen displays:
===== the number of saved data items that are selected
===== the total number of saved data items
===== the total file size of the saved data items that are selected

Finally!

That's will help alot with PES savegames...

- Under (Games) > (Saved Data Utility (PS3™), you can now select multiple saved data items, and then either delete or copy them as a group.

ab5.gif

Dragon

Banned
And to think I just went through and deleted a bunch of NHL '09 data that I haven't booted up in like three years. :/.

Oh well, can't complain too much!

They sure took their sweet ass time with this. FUCKING FINALLY!!!
This was almost as annoying as the battery clock thingy

androvsky

dunno. It was lower at something. css3 test maybe?

Ah, it was the HTML5 score. Won't know until it comes out, even when Sony switched out the crappy old Netfront browser for the webkit one all the updates notes said was something about some sites load better now.

I'm hoping that with IE hitting the XBox, Sony will at least support HTML5 video and audio. That alone I think would fix most complaints.

Great update. It's silly to get worked up about the updates not including sweeping changes. Considering how controversial they can be, you can be sure we'd hear about it long before it's release.

As far as xmb updates and vita features, it's possible they are both getting rolled up into one update, delaying the timing. We'll get little one off updates like this in the interim.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Still nothing on being able to see Vita players? Not seeing Vita trophies I can live with, but sorting out the friends list for people online can't be that much work.

Already is one. Has been for years.

It's up to devs to use it, so no one does.

Here's hoping the PS4 will have it like the Vita and it will be a feature you have to disable rather than enable.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
EVERY FUCKING TIME I TURN MY PS3 ON THERE'S AN UPDATE

Over/Under that 2-3 people will create threads bitching about this update stating that they were going to go play their PS3, but the update ruined their timing... LOL

herod

Ah, it was the HTML5 score. Won't know until it comes out, even when Sony switched out the crappy old Netfront browser for the webkit one all the updates notes said was something about some sites load better now.

I'm hoping that with IE hitting the XBox, Sony will at least support HTML5 video and audio. That alone I think would fix most complaints.

I think the point is that Netfront themselves are moving to the Webkit engine and Sony just applied the latest update from them. It's still Netfront.

Goldrusher

You, me, and everyone who tried "that game I knew I wouldn't like and stopped playing five minutes in, forever including it in my trophies list".
Only the 0% ones maybe.
Once you unlocked a trophy, it's there forever.

I'd like to see demos with trophies. That would make a lot more people play a lot more demos. More exposure, more sales.

androvsky

I think the point is that Netfront themselves are moving to the Webkit engine and Sony just applied the latest update from them. It's still Netfront.

I suppose it's possible, but Sony was posting the source code for the port and were hiring engineers to handle porting webkit to the PS3 (and other devices).

Diablos

So six years later we finally get this. Does anyone else find that a bit strange? It took Sony this long to implement such a common feature of filecopying? Their update methodology is random and quite dumb. All of these little things people have been asking for should have been in one huge ass update several years ago.

It's in the vein of "YAY, I GOT A BLIND FOR MY WINDOW 6 YEARS AFTER MOVING IN."

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Multi save select??

Fucking finally! :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So they still haven't unlocked saves. One step forward (multiple delete/copy), twenty steps back (saves are mostly locked). Typical Sony.

patsu

So they still haven't unlocked saves. One step forward (multiple delete/copy), twenty steps back (saves are mostly locked). Typical Sony.

What twenty steps back ? They just stay status quo, waiting for you to sign up PS+ cloud save. 8^)

Carl

So six years later we finally get this. Does anyone else find that a bit strange? It took Sony this long to implement such a common feature of filecopying? Their update methodology is random and quite dumb. All of these little things people have been asking for should have been in one huge ass update several years ago.

Probably because SCE Japan deals with it all. They need to hand it all off to SCE London or something.

Goldrusher

They added the ability to copy multiple saves at once. Nothing else changed. No twenty steps back. Not even one.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So six years later we finally get this.

Does anyone else find that a bit strange? It took Sony this long to implement such a common feature of filecopying?

Their update methodology is random and quite dumb. All of these little things people have been asking for should have been in one huge ass update several years ago.

It's probably because the XMB is a bit of a mess, they started cutting down on its ram usage (from 120+ to 40+ now iirc) and didn't work in these features like cross game chat before they had too little ram to do it, things like trophies were put in what, 2 years down the road into an already bloaty OS that they have tried to trim down.

I imagine at this point they prefer not doing anything drastic to the XMB from fear of it falling apart.

Aren't locked saves up to said developer, from memory the Motorstorm guys unlocked their saves with a patch, I imagine Sony wouldn't do it it system wide because they have left it to the developer.

Guy Legend

Obviously PS4 has been delayed to 2015.

spats

Locked saves are like a chastity belt ensuring the trophy system's purity.

<3 trophies

I'm joking. I hate locked saves because I can't use my retail GT PSP's saves on my digital version on the Vita. :(

herod

I suppose it's possible, but Sony was posting the source code for the port and were hiring engineers to handle porting webkit to the PS3 (and other devices).

I doubt if it would be anything more than just integrating the changes into the XMB. You don't license another company's product and then do all the coding yourself.

The main point of contact for webkit on the PS3 doesn't even mention it on his resume. Just his Hulu work.

"Under (Games) > (Saved Data Utility (PS3&#8482;), you can now select multiple saved data items, and then either delete or copy them as a group."

YES!

Although, it should have comed sooner. I had to backup 200+ GT5 replays the other day, my god was that a pain in the ass.

patsu

6 years later, we finally got ourselves a WebKit browser, and this. ^_^

Usability enhancement does seem very low in their priority. 8^(

But to be fair, in 6 years, we got PSP Minis support, in-game XMB, 10 or so media apps, 3D gaming, 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray DTS, PS+ Cloud support, clock fix, PSOne and PS2 compatibility, assorted security fixes to counter the big hack, etc.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

It's not Sony forcing them to do locked saves, it's up to the publishers/developers discretion

Seriously, at least bitch about the right people

You do realize there's maybe a handful that are locked
I have over 175+ game saves located on my usb stick (dedicated to PS3 only. 4GB), my laptop, my external HDD

Right now only 3-5 saves can't be transferred

Demon's Soul, NFS Shift, one of the Ass Creeds, and 2 others I'm forgetting off the top of my head
The developer wanted locked saves, so people couldn't abuse the system for some reason they know, we don't
It's not about trophies alone, there are still games being released as unlocked saves and people copy/pasting and getting 50+ trophies in 1-2 minutes
Developer wanted to protect their IP from shenanigans and thought their save might be a backdoor to it

Sorry for the rant, but it really is a tiring notion/statement

Also if you are very worried, there's PS+ that helps alleviate your situation... it's an option, up to you decide
Some like me think having our Demon's Soul saves is worth the investment alone and everything on top of that is just icing on the cake

Varth

Eh. You guys have to thank me for that. I was holding out for that to clean the ol'Debug fridge, so they HAD to wait a couple days after it finally exploded. got hte confirmation and BANG. New update. Fml.

patsu

I doubt if it would be anything more than just integrating the changes into the XMB. You don't license another company's product and then do all the coding yourself.

The main point of contact for webkit on the PS3 doesn't even mention it on his resume. Just his Hulu work.

You can look at the source code changes to find out their fix.

They also have stuff done on the SPUs (Video playback and JavaScript). Plus they need to make sure the browser doesn't interfere with games if it is invoked from inside one (e.g., PS Home). Someone, the contracted NetFront folks or Sony in-house, has to do those work.

I wonder, how many current OS features or other tiny options provided like this will actually make it into the PS4 day 1, or will they end up just slowly adding them back again over the years.

Top Bottom