• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 System Software Firmware 4.20

kaz42063cch.jpg

"Duuuuude Lemme hit dat, Kaz!"

2mHKCm.jpg

androvsky

I'm not exactly an html5 expert, but I'm watching the elephants dream streaming video on www.leanbackplayer.com, never even asked about running a plugin

But I'm finding other sites that say the browser doesn't support the video tag, do I guess it's just a fancy player

The PS3 still has a few years left in it. I suppose I'm being somewhat optimistic, but I do think that Sony is going to be gradually tweaking the XMB for the better. I'm still totally expecting them to add things like sub-folders, better file sorting, and other general UI changes before the console is done.

Gradually tweaking the XMB for the better? The console has been out nearly 6 years! The time for tweaking should have long passed by now. If they're going to be working on fixing things they should be focusing on the Vita's OS shortcomings. The console they just launched.

androvsky

No... perhaps there's something else. I'm verifying something else, my friend.
Or I'm dense, since it asked to run the plugin when I went back. I swear it didn't the first time, I even refreshed to double check. So it's definitely running flash :(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Took 6 years for this seemingly basic functionality.
Not like selecting multiple items was new or anything as you could long since do it with video and audio files.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Took 6 years for this seemingly basic functionality.
Not like selecting multiple items was new or anything as you could long since do it with video and audio files.

PS3 is like XB1 in testing. PS4 will be the true unleashing of the over 9000 like powers!

patsu

I'm sorry, it seems to be the only site that works. :( I feel bad now.

It's the plugin dialog. They seem to have removed it after the first confirmation (for each new site session ?).

In 4.20, when I use the YouTube PC site, I can auto-play my entire Favorites collection without the plugin dialog ever appearing. ^_^ (Hurray !!!!)

Before 4.20, every time YouTube (PC) advances to the next video, I'd need to click "OK" to dismiss the plugin dialog. Every time.

The leanbackplayer probably also uses Flash embed tag in case the browser does not support AV tag.

Or I'm dense, since it asked to run the plugin when I went back. I swear it didn't the first time, I even refreshed to double check. So it's definitely running flash :(

Nah... you may have discovered something after all. Play your YouTube Favorites and see what happens.

EDIT:
Yeah, I confirmed it again. The plugin dialog doesn't show up when YouTube switches to yet another video. Yesh ! This is in fact my biggest complain about the web browser.

They seem to have fixed the JavaScript stability issue after switching to WebKit browser too. ^_^

androvsky

It's the plugin dialog. They seem to have removed it after the first confirmation.

In 4.20, when I use the YouTube PC site, I can auto-play my entire Favorites collection without the plugin dialog ever appearing. ^_^ (Hurray !!!!)

Before 4.20, every time YouTube (PC) advances to the next video, I'd need to click "OK" to dismiss the plugin dialog. Every time.

The leanbackplayer probably also uses Flash embed tag in case the browser does not support AV tag.

Nah... you may have discovered something after all. Play your YouTube Favorites and see what happens.

Interesting... I don't use regular youtube on my PS3, so I just loaded up a bunch of sites that use flash for ads. Looks like it just asks once per browser session now, even across different sites. Thanks for confirming I hadn't completely lost it. :)

edit: too bad it's still the same flash 9.0 plugin.

patsu

Interesting... I don't use regular youtube on my PS3, so I just loaded up a bunch of sites that use flash for ads. Looks like it just asks once per browser session now, even across different sites. Thanks for confirming I hadn't completely lost it. :)

Yeah, I updated my post to confirm your finding. ^_^
Great job !

Yap, a later Flash would be sweet if they don't want to support AV tags. Either one or the other, Sony. And higher res for Flash playback please. 8^P

Is this multiple save file copy feature being hidden behind PS+?

I didn't see the option to copy multiple saves to my memory stick.

androvsky

Yeah, I updated my post to confirm your finding. ^_^
Great job !

Yap, a later Flash would be sweet if they don't want to support AV tags. Either one or the other, Sony. And higher res for Flash playback please. 8^P

I'd think they'd almost have to, isn't MS going to be supporting HD video on the 360 in IE? And didn't Sony promise to support 3D youtube videos at some point?

patsu

I'd think they'd almost have to, isn't MS going to be supporting HD video on the 360 in IE? And didn't Sony promise to support 3D youtube videos at some point?

Did they ? I forgot ! 8^D

I would totally love 3D YouTube and higher res 2D YouTube playback.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is this multiple save file copy feature being hidden behind PS+?

I didn't see the option to copy multiple saves to my memory stick.

No, I was seriously ready to get pissed, as the Copy Multiple dialog has a + sign next to it. It works fine though for non-plus people.

10 saves were still copy prohibited (fuck you game devs).

androvsky

Did they ? I forgot ! 8^D

I would totally love 3D YouTube and higher res 2D YouTube playback.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/12/3d-blu-ray-ps3-update-dated-for-september-youtube-3d-support-pl/
As with Blu-ray movies, Sony is using the PS3 as a Trojan horse for pushing new technology. 3D is a major corporate focus for Sony, as evidenced by plans to support not only 3D movies and games, but 3D photos as well "later in the year." SCEE senior director Mick Hocking has also promised support for 3D broadcasts through the Europe-exclusive PlayTV service, as well. Additionally, "YouTube will be supporting 3D content over the next 12 months as well – and you'll be able to watch that on the PlayStation 3."

That was almost exactly two years ago. I don't think Sony was talking about anaglyph support, somehow.

patsu

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/12/3d-blu-ray-ps3-update-dated-for-september-youtube-3d-support-pl/

That was almost exactly two years ago. I don't think Sony was talking about anaglyph support, somehow.

Okay, they are late as usual.

Jim Ryan mentioned that they are still keen on 3D but decided not to showcase 3D stuff this E3 because it's already too long. Vita and 3D am cry:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/e3-2012-sony-still-keen-on-3d-despite-e3-no-show/097695

Also I checked Sony's WebKit open source page. They have updated it on March 2012:
https://products.sel.sony.com/opensource/source_webkit.shtml#webkit-12.03.14

If jeff_rigby download the source, he could probably work out or guess the current WebKit version and build number.

EDIT: Hmph, March 2012 source additions were all test cases. Perhaps there will be a source update on that page later.

androvsky

Okay, they are late as usual.

Jim Ryan mentioned that they are still keen on 3D but decided not to showcase 3D stuff this E3 because it's already too long. Vita and 3D am cry:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/e3-2012-sony-still-keen-on-3d-despite-e3-no-show/097695

Also I checked Sony's WebKit open source page. They have updated it on March 2012:
https://products.sel.sony.com/opensource/source_webkit.shtml#webkit-12.03.14

If jeff_rigby download the source, he could probably work out or guess the current WebKit version and build number.

EDIT: Hmph, March 2012 source additions were all test cases. Perhaps there will be a source update on that page later.

Yeah, jeff_rigby posted about it back around the time it went up, iirc. I remember downloading it and trying to make sense of it, and was entirely unsuccessful. The diff file seemed to only cover changes to the test cases... and the giant freaking changelog of seemingly every commit to webkit over too long a period of time (*twitch*).

Withnail

Is this the same freaking thing about the clock being 1 hour slow and have been driving me crazy that you are talking about?

There's nothing wrong with the clock. If your PS3 clock is 1 hour behind you need to turn on the daylight saving option.

Ranger X

This is it for the XMB really isn't it? I have to admit I was kind of hoping for some kind of tidied up XMB or redesigned XMB announcement during E3. Sony have shown a general apathy toward the interface for so long now I think this is it for PS3 and we won't see anything new until whatever PS4 has.

That's a good thing since there hasn't been a better electronic device UI design since the XMB! :p

The multiple save/delete works... as you would expect it to. Wish they had done this earlier when I had to backup saves to the cloud when putting in a new hard drive (due to protected save garbage).

Shancake

How do people usually charge their Headsets? I usually use it everytime I'm playing my playstation which means that I can't charge it :\

It doesn't charge if the Playstation is in standby right?

NinjaBoiX

Still no multi copy for other files besides saves? Also, sub folders would be cool. Well, useful, I doubt they'd be that cool.

patsu

Yes, you can already delete or copy multiple songs, photos and videos in and out of PS3. 4.20 adds multiple selection for game saves.

However, we are still missing better organization for PSP install bubbles.

NinjaBoiX

Yes, you can already delete or copy multiple songs, photos and videos in and out of PS3. 4.20 adds multiple selection for game saves.

However, we are still missing better organization for PSP install bubbles.
Yeah, I'd like to be able to folder my PSP games, so I can delete and reinstall from my Go without having to re download all the time.

Mithos

And Sony just did it half-ways AGAIN!

Can only copy the copy-protected saves to the Cloud, ONE by ONE!!!!

DBT85

And Sony just did it half-ways AGAIN!

Can only copy the copy-protected saves to the Cloud, ONE by ONE!!!!

They automatically save anyway though? Once enabled on each game you never have to touch it and every night it'll go away and upload anything that's changed.

Mithos

They automatically save anyway though? Once enabled on each game you never have to touch it and every night it'll go away and upload anything that's changed.
I only send the copy protected save-files to the cloud, everything else to a USB-storage device. So I don't have the auto-upload thing on/active.

And I know, "just activate" the auto-upload for the games that have copy-protected saves, BUT some games have both a copy-protected part and non-protected, and I only upload the copy-protected part to cloud, and the non-protected to USB-Storage.

Andrefpvs

Found another hidden change.

When you receive a message with no subject, the message's subject becomes the entire text from the message.

This is especially useful with messages you receive from a PS Vita, since you can't add subjects to those.

I only send the copy protected save-files to the cloud, everything else to a USB-storage device. So I don't have the auto-upload thing on/active.

And I know, "just activate" the auto-upload for the games that have copy-protected saves, BUT some games have both a copy-protected part and non-protected, and I only upload the copy-protected part to cloud, and the non-protected to USB-Storage.

What's the harm in uploading both, though? I mean, you get plenty of space on the cloud, so it's not like it would be a big deal to have both parts of a save file.

patsu

Probably to save cloud storage space.

I don't know if many do this. Personally, I would rather let auto-update handle the entire save to avoid confusion. Then, when the cloud storage is full, archive the old saves to my own external storage. Leave the recent ones in the cloud, but that's just me.

Jigsaw

Banned
What's the harm in uploading both, though? I mean, you get plenty of space on the cloud, so it's not like it would be a big deal to have both parts of a save file.

have they upped the cloud size or is it still 150mb?that's not plently of space,ff13-2 alone is 30mb,add a few 10mb fallout or skyrim saves and you are full

have they upped the cloud size or is it still 150mb?that's not plently of space,ff13-2 alone is 30mb,add a few 10mb fallout or skyrim saves and you are full

But XIII-2 isn't encrypted, is it? I mean, I know where you're coming from, but it should be enough for all the games that have "encrypted" saves, even if just one part is encrypted.

Mithos

But XIII-2 isn't encrypted, is it? I mean, I know where you're coming from, but it should be enough for all the games that have "encrypted" saves, even if just one part is encrypted.

Well It's just that sure it works for games that have small saves, but when 1 save-file is 2mb or bigger and copy-protected and you have 100 of them....(I save A LOT!)

patsu

If you save a lot and your saves exceed the cloud storage limit, you might as well do what i do. Turn on auto update, manually copy your oldest 90 saves to external storage at one go, and remove them from the PS3. That way you don't have to micro manage, and your saves are "together" and intact; kept up to date by auto-update.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Still waiting for an update where i can sort my trophy list by % completed. Would be great to be able to see all my platinums in order as opposed to having to scroll to each one.

Top Bottom