• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: No more PS2 trades starting April 1st

Cornbread78

I just saw that sign when I was making a payment for my Tales of Xilia pre-order... Maybe I'll have to dig out one of my old PS2's and games for the extra $5 or so they'll give me....

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yep, Gamestop stores are not very big. They can't be bothered to keep carrying PS2, Gamecube and even psp and DS games.

Some of the stores in Toronto are monstrous. Like 10 copies of the same title lined up on the shelves, just to try to fill all the wall space. But yeah, some are really quite tiny. A few of the smaller ones in the city still have Super NES / Genesis / GBA games in a small case.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They haven't started that initiative yet. And I think that's more for things N64 and older... PS2 isn't retro yet, is it?
PS2 is 13 years old this month. N64 is, what, 17 years old? PS2 is older now than the SNES was back when PS2 first launched.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Great, now I'll never find a copy of .hack//Quarantine!
even if one never did show up within 100 miles on the store tracker

Say what you will about buying used games from Gamestop, but through careful use of B2G1 sales, I accumulated a huge PS2 library far below the going rate for most of the stuff a couple of years ago. I guess those days are over!

Teknoman

Time to sell those PS2 games that still holds value.

More like hold onto em.

I was going to trade mine in last week and was told they don't take them anymore.

Is this by location as to when they stop with April 1st being the deadline for all stores? Or was the gamestop clerk just misinformed?

My ps2 is in a box just taking up space. With eqoa and socom servers shut down, I really have no use for it.

Amazon it. If its in good condition you'll get so much more than a GS trade.

Or just hold onto it since most system sells/trades end up with people seeking those systems years later.

Yep, Gamestop stores are not very big. They can't be bothered to keep carrying PS2, Gamecube and even psp and DS games.

I think they stopped carrying GameCube, or at least ceased trade-ins on it a couple years ago. Even though it came out 13 months after PS2. DS will be there for a while longer, it's only been eight years, and it has the largest install base ever for a game system. Also the games and systems are tiny so it takes up less space than consoles.

Teknoman

Need to go there and troll with some unopened FF789/tactics and Vagrant Story games.
So how much can I get for these?

lol thats actually how I got my current dreamcast. Some guy was getting ready to throw it away after he found we didnt take them in...Bought it from him for a pizza.

If someone came in with those, i'd dash to the atm so fast... I have seen someone bring by FFVII and Legend of the Dragoon, but both were beat up as hell.

inner-G

Banned
GS has been barren for PS2 stuff besides shovelware for a long time anyway.

Need to go there and troll with some unopened FF789/tactics and Vagrant Story games.
So how much can I get for these?
Take a sealed Suikoden 2 and try to trade it towards a Madden preorder.

Fox Mulder

Gamestop must have warehouses of PS2 games by now. It's been mentioned they go to stores that move them. Do you think Gamestop also has deals with other countries, supplying foreign chains with older games that are still the mainline consoles in those places?

I'm just curious as to how Gamestop capitalizes on buying the massive quantities of used product they take in.

They sell what they can and then order stores to throw things in the dumpster, like their pile of plastic guitars.

Top Bottom