• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Five Came Back
OK, so it's a documentary series on Netflix, but it's still very much relevant to film.

Pretty moving stuff. I didn't really know the personalities of the 5 directors, or seen many of their work outside of their bigger films like Ben-Hur or It's a Wonderful Life, but seeing how their Hollywood expertise applied to WWII wartime propaganda and documentary filmmaking was amazing to see. The way that they went to great risk and effort to film the progress of the war and the conditions of the soldiers was very inspiring.
Props to Netflix for putting up all the propaganda films on their site without censoring, even with the blatant racism on many of them.

Ghost in the Shell - enjoyable movie but real problematically racially casted.
10 Cloverfield Lane - like most I was ambivalent about the final act but it was a thrilling movie that I would recommend to most people.

Blader

Hero
This is a really, very pretty movie with an interesting Rashomon-esque plot and a great supporting cast. But a lot of the swordplay here is undermined by some bad slow motion and plainly obvious wire fu. Also, I just think Jet Li is kind of a boring lead. Not really sure how this guy took off as the next Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan, he just doesn't have any of their charisma.
6/10

I want to say it involved some technical detail I'm too dumb to know, or just fetishizing film. I do know he wanted The Master to look old school.

Hateful 8 being in 70mm also didn't make much sense to me.

Ha, right, that's another one.

lordxar

Also, I just think Jet Li is kind of a boring lead. Not really sure how this guy took off as the next Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan, he just doesn't have any of their charisma.

2x4 comes to mind...I think he's fine as a secondary character but so far nearly everything I've watched that he starred in wasn't very good.

smisk

I also watched Sing Street (2016) with my parents this weekend. I thought it was just alright, but I was surprised how high the ratings are on Letterboxd. There are a whole bunch of these "troubled young adult starts a band" films (Begin Again and Rudderless are a couple others I've seen recently) and they're all kinda similar. As a sort-of musician and music fan I have a soft spot for these types of stories (because they let me vicariously live an alternate past where I formed a band), but this one didn't do much for me beyond that.
I thought the beginning where they were just a bunch of mediocre dudes who didn't know what they were doing was great, but they got good way to fast, and the movie had a predictable fairy-tale ending. I also didn't like the songs composed for the film as much as the ones I previously mentioned.

hampig

I also watched Sing Street (2016) with my parents this weekend. I thought it was just alright, but I was surprised how high the ratings are on Letterboxd. There are a whole bunch of these "troubled young adult starts a band" films (Begin Again and Rudderless are a couple others I've seen recently) and they're all kinda similar. As a sort-of musician and music fan I have a soft spot for these types of stories (because they let me vicariously live an alternate past where I formed a band), but this one didn't do much for me beyond that.
I thought the beginning where they were just a bunch of mediocre dudes who didn't know what they were doing was great, but they got good way to fast, and the movie had a predictable fairy-tale ending. I also didn't like the songs composed for the film as much as the ones I previously mentioned.

Really? I'm normally not a fan of those kinds of movies, but Sing Street was just so charming, and I really dug the songs. I thought the characters were very endearing and the whole movie had a sense of not holding itself back to be too upfront in its family friendlyness.

Ghost in the Shell (1995) (9/10) - The word that best describes my experience here is revelatory. Which is weird, because this was not my first time watching it. And yet. It's clear now just how little/properly I could appreciate this film when I was younger. What was cool, stylish and maybe even a little confusing to me before, was now thoughtful, meditative and cinematically rapturous. The narrative is punctuated with stillness, silence (a lengthy, wordless passage depicting the ebb and flow of life in the city at night took my breath away), the many lengthy conversations are stimulating, piercing, searching... and of course the action is still every bit as cool as I remember (that early sequence with Section 9 hunting the hackers is just bloody incredible). I even forgot just how good the soundtrack is... because good lord, it's incredible.

The movie does still feel frustratingly short to me, however. I was actually a little shocked when it ended, and then saw the time. I don't remember this thing only being 83 minutes. I think this could genuinely benefit from more time, allowing it to more deeply explore its themes or tie things together more dramatically (I really wanted to get a better sense of the Major as a character, maybe spend more time on the themes of identity and cybernetic bodies, have more scenes like that conversation on the boat with Batou). But I'm also just impressed that it brings so many ideas from the manga and manages them as well as it does in a mere 83 minutes. Really, I just wanted more of this in general. It's so much more impressive to me now, aesthetically. I could have soaked in the atmosphere and mood of this thing for hours.

(Also, this may have just jettisoned any interest I had in the new Hollywood version. I can't see it being anything other than a buzzkill, haha.)

Rewatched Suicide Squad: Director's Cut.

While it definitely suffers in comparison to BvS, which we now know is the greatest CBM of all time, and bears the fingerprints of studio meddling, I think the critical gangbang it received upon release is kind of weird. It feels like a slightly darker version of the average MCU movie.

The Snyder influence on visuals and design elevates the generic material and there are some solid LOLs throughout. The Joker subplot works for me as the recurring theme of the film is love. Love of money, love of family, love for a partner, lost love, what we will do for love, and so on. Hell, the villain's weak spot is her heart.

Despite it's flaws, there is much to be entertained by. I also appreciate that it is so different tonally from the preceding entries in the DCEU. Hopefully, they continue to play with genre, so that the DCEU avoids becoming like the MCU sausage factory. With what we've heard about the upcoming entries, I don't think this will be a problem.

Pachimari

I'm no musician (only played keyboard in my earlier days) and not much into music, but I think Sing Street is the band film I've enjoyed the most, although I haven't seen many of those either. I really enjoyed it. I was sitting with a nice and happy feeling after the credits.

Fell asleep 2/3rds thru The Discovery (streaming on Netflix) but I couldn't get behind Jason Segel as a romantic lead in a non-rom-com. From what I gleaned, this was like Eternal Sunshine but more dour.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Split: 7/10. Return to form? I have no idea, I haven't seen shit from this dude in 10 years. Solid thriller. Anya Taylor-Joy in this hnnng. Does anyone know where I can get some of that spray? RE: shyamalan_twist.gif:
I mean ok, I guess? Mildly interesting. So basically what you're telling me is that I just spent 110 minutes watching an ad for yet another cinematic universe franchise? Fuck off. Astounding that he got this signed off on though. Hey guys you know how I haven't made a decent picture in over a decade? Well I want to make a whole UNIVERSE of them! And they're like ok sure.
I Don't Want to Live On This Planet Anymore: 7/10. Another pretty solid thriller. Kind of like Falling Down, only, you know, in Oregon. It was sort of, cute, I guess? Looked like everyone had fun making it.
Ass Creed: 4/10. Man I fucking adore this guy's visuals, he just needs a good screenwriter (like his last movie [Shakespeare]). I mean it made about as much sense as an Assassin's Creed game, so, I don't know, mission accomplished?

Ass Creed: 4/10. Man I fucking adore this guy's visuals, he just needs a good screenwriter (like his last movie [Shakespeare]). I mean it made about as much sense as an Assassin's Creed game, so, I don't know, mission accomplished?

Can't believe he went from Macbeth to this...

smisk

Really? I'm normally not a fan of those kinds of movies, but Sing Street was just so charming, and I really dug the songs. I thought the characters were very endearing and the whole movie had a sense of not holding itself back to be too upfront in its family friendlyness.

I'm no musician (only played keyboard in my earlier days) and not much into music, but I think Sing Street is the band film I've enjoyed the most, although I haven't seen many of those either. I really enjoyed it. I was sitting with a nice and happy feeling after the credits.

I can't objectively defend Sing Street too stringently, but I'll be damned if it's not very charming for some reason.

Yeah, it certainly wasn't a bad film and had some really charming moments. I think having seen those other similar films I mentioned within the last year kinda soured me on it more than it should have. I'd recommend watching Rudderless (2014) though if you haven't seen it, I remember being a bit more into it than this.

Pachimari

Yeah, it certainly wasn't a bad film and had some really charming moments. I think having seen those other similar films I mentioned within the last year kinda soured me on it more than it should have. I'd recommend watching Rudderless (2014) though if you haven't seen it, I remember being a bit more into it than this.
I'm definitely gonna check it out, thanks for the recommendation.

Ghost in the Shell (1995) (9/10) - The word that best describes my experience here is revelatory. Which is weird, because this was not my first time watching it. And yet. It's clear now just how little/properly I could appreciate this film when I was younger. What was cool, stylish and maybe even a little confusing to me before, was now thoughtful, meditative and cinematically rapturous. The narrative is punctuated with stillness, silence (a lengthy, wordless passage depicting the ebb and flow of life in the city at night took my breath away), the many lengthy conversations are stimulating, piercing, searching... and of course the action is still every bit as cool as I remember (that early sequence with Section 9 hunting the hackers is just bloody incredible). I even forgot just how good the soundtrack is... because good lord, it's incredible.

The movie does still feel frustratingly short to me, however. I was actually a little shocked when it ended, and then saw the time. I don't remember this thing only being 83 minutes. I think this could genuinely benefit from more time, allowing it to more deeply explore its themes or tie things together more dramatically (I really wanted to get a better sense of the Major as a character, maybe spend more time on the themes of identity and cybernetic bodies, have more scenes like that conversation on the boat with Batou). But I'm also just impressed that it brings so many ideas from the manga and manages them as well as it does in a mere 83 minutes. Really, I just wanted more of this in general. It's so much more impressive to me now, aesthetically. I could have soaked in the atmosphere and mood of this thing for hours.

(Also, this may have just jettisoned any interest I had in the new Hollywood version. I can't see it being anything other than a buzzkill, haha.)

The runtime was probably related to being animated. I think Oshii just ended making the movie as concise as possible to the story he wanted to tell knowing the constraints of an animation production. And while I do agree that my fascination by the setting and characters of the movie is so big that I just wanted it to be a tad longer, I also appreciate how there's no bullshit whatsoever in it. That's one of it's best qualities. Every scene, every moment has a purpose.

And Gits SAC kinda fills the void of knowing more about who this characters really are. They might be unrelated directly but they end up being a great partneship.

And while I do agree that my fascination by the setting and characters of the movie is so big that I just wanted it to be a tad longer, I also appreciate how there's no bullshit whatsoever in it. That's one of it's best qualities. Every scene, every moment has a purpose.

Yup, I agree. (I think a part of me just missed the Motoko from the manga, but again, I can't actually criticize the anime for that because the characterizations are exactly where they need to be for Oshii's goals.)

I've never explored the franchise beyond the original manga and anime, so maybe I'll start doing that. I'll look into Stand Alone Complex., for sure, and check out Innocence.

Watching GITS again has really got me itching for more Oshii, and I'm thinking of taking a deep dive into his filmography. I had a conversation with my roommate about GITS last night that turned into a two hour discussion about lots of random bullshit, but at one point we were reminiscing about Patlabor and all the anime we saw as kids on Teletoon (this anecdote might be too Canadian for some of you), so I'm thinking that's where I'm heading next. It has probably been just as long, if not longer, since I've seen Oshii's old Patlabor films.

Space milkshake - very low budget sci-fi movie with decent acting and a fun ride.

8/10

Mr. Right - boring

3/10

Arrival - it was alright gets a little tedious and not a lot of interesting location.

6/10

The Answer Man - Jeff Daniels plays a writer that likes to live alone. Not as serious as it should have been and is quite slow.

6/10

God bless America - everyday quite man gets tired of people and the way of life. Goes on a killing spree that rids the world of what he considers mean people. Enjoyed this one

8/10

Rogue one - bland story and doesn't feel like star wars. The tank scene feels like a war movie and over use of cg. Only the female lead makes a decent character. Not a good movie and feels less unique than the prequels.

4/10

John wick- good action movie but the initial premise and overall premise is slightly silly.

8/10

Hell on high water- good acting and a fun ride for two bank robbers ribbing a branch over a week.

9/10

Passengers - really enjoyed this one, the first half is fantastic with the unknown and atmosphere. Sort of falls a part later but love the one location and sci-fi premise.

8/10

Magnificent Seven- the actors and overall story didn't do much for me here. Western that feels a bit boring.

5/10

Lego movie - witty and worth a watch

8/10

Don't Breath- horror movie that feels it tried way too hard to be shocking.

6/10

Will update more later

This should finish up mostly what I have seen recently

Monster - I think most of us know this film and it's well made and quite interesting take on the serial killer in FL

8/10

Finding Amanda - A hooker's uncle goes to LV to send her to rehab. He has his own addictions and it's not quite a serious movie but likely worth a watch if you like Matthew Broderick enough. Not that funny but has enough moments to watch

7/10

Ouija - Another typical horror movie that never really takes off.

6/10

Manchester at sea - A pretty realistic film where the writer has created a story and dialogue that is typically reflective of real life.

8/10

Eye in the Sky- typical war/drama that came off being failry decent for it's small scale idea and small street location.

8/10

The accountant - Ben Affleck shooter movie that was interesting enough to watch but wasn't quite as good as it could have been

7/10

Deepwater Horizon - The true story of what goes wrong when oil is sought after more on this oil drilling drama. I enjoyed this one overall.

8/10

Startrek "3" - Plot and story/location etc just wasn't very good here.

5/10

Sully - Overall a decent telling of the Hudson water landing.

8/10

Inferno - felt a little off and like some of tom hank's other demon like movies

6/10

Conjuring 2 - I know these are liked around here but really felt the movie isn't that unique or as good as it could be

7/10

Garfield - Barely felt like the source material to me

4/10

The Boy - Was decent and had a decent revealing near the end

7/10

Thunder Struck - Movie with Kevin Durant, it had some very silly parts and overall typical for this kind of kids film but had some parts worth seeing for me with Kevin Durant not being able to play ball or dribble that I enjoyed.

7/10

Woman in Gold- the real life story of an immigrant who left her home and life that is trying to take back famous paintings that belonged to her family, overall enjoyed this one quite a bit.

8/10

Before We Go - story of two strangers meeting late and night while trying to get the girl home anyway they can. A decent movie worth watching.

7/10

Mall Cop 2 - It has it's moments, obviously not great but probably not as bad as some make it

5/10

Scenic Route - a movie where two friends are stranded in the desert on the road for 90 percent of the movie. A few crazy things ensue as they try to find a ride out of there.

7/10

Silverado - 80's western that starts off alright but gets a little lost as the conclusion comes up.

7/10

Cracks - a movie based on a boarding school where girls learn certain activies with an older woman leader that causes a lot of trouble for them. Good film overall.

8/10

Fantastic Beasts - Not very fantastic

4/10

Underworld: Blood Wars - First underworld movie, was a bit boring to me

5/10

Resident Evil: Final Chapter - Not very good at all honestly, boring atmosphere and story, nothing really sticks out at all.

5/10

Most of these I saw in the past month and a half and just catching up a bit.

I saw some trailers of the other resident evil films, they seem they may be better can anyone weigh in on the old ones compared to the newest one. It really sort of sucked.

Cracks - a movie based on a boarding school where girls learn certain activies with an older woman leader that causes a lot of trouble for them. Good film overall.

I remember this one. Wasn't it directed by Ridley Scott's daughter? What happened to her career? I don't think she has directed anything else since.

lordxar

I saw some trailers of the other resident evil films, they seem they may be better can anyone weigh in on the old ones compared to the newest one. It really sort of sucked.

The first is the best. From there they pretty much slide down with an occasional small jump. I love the series regardless though even with some bullshit continuity/retcon issues.

Cat People (1942): This film has no business being this good, but the incredible atmospherics and sharp direction make a surprisingly layered and tense film out of what should be a hokey concept. There are all sorts of readings you could do of this film, and all of them are enhanced in the bravura display of horror filmmaking that is embodied in the magnificently restrained suspense sequences. Shadows and silence have rarely been so eerie.

lordxar

Who Framed Roger Rabbit Saw this when it hit theaters as a kid and I'm not sure that I've watched it more than maybe once or twice since. Needless to say I'd forgotten everything except the huge knockered Jessica. I mean how can you forget those jugs?

Betty

Banned
The 'Burbs

My first time seeing the film and it was pretty damn enjoyable. Hanks was in top form, the humour wasn't too forced, the cast was way better than the material warranted and it had the right amount of tongue in cheek dumbness and straight horror to just about work

Just saw Loving. Enjoyed it quite a bit, definitely more than Midnight Special. Negga was a pleasure to watch.

Edit: Also the small moments that they recreated. Like this one:
maxresdefault.jpg

Passengers better than Arrival. Opinions and all but wut.
Arrival felt really boring to me expected more. Passengers had that one location thing I like. The premise was good for passengers just wish the second half was better

As for as arrivials I just never felt anything really took off. it isn't a bad idea or a bad conclusion in theory or what they are trying to do/show. it was just not very fun to see it how they made it.

The first is the best. From there they pretty much slide down with an occasional small jump. I love the series regardless though even with some bullshit continuity/retcon issues.
I saw a trailer for one of them but forgot which one, it looked a lot better than final chapter though

I dunno why but these made me laugh
They are sort of opposite as can be for movies, one very , deepresingly realistic, the other obviously unrealistic.
Just felt it was a strange blend of real animals and cg, it ruins odie for me.

I really like movies that confine them to one location with a bit of depth and reasoning. So, it wasn't hard to like passengers for that reason. I also really liked the fog for a lot of the same reasons. it can bring out a lot of depth in a place and I dunno, just like it.

I would suggest more of you try cracks if you like that sort of thing.

JTripper

Re-watched A Bronx Tale recently after seeing the Broadway musical, which was a pretty phenomenal adaptation of the story. Funny how it originally started as a one-man show by Chazz Palminteri before De Niro approached him to direct it.

As for the film, it's a classic in almost every sense. It's the third point in the trinity of great modern Italian mafia movies for me, along with Goodfellas and The Godfather. What's special about it is that it's not a stylistic adrenaline rush like Goodfellas, nor is it a New York family epic like The Godfather; it's simply an intimate family/coming-of-age story that takes place in one neighborhood (just one street, most of the time). So many iconic scenes, and every character is just so well-performed. De Niro as the simple father is perfect in contrast to his bad boy roles, the kid who plays young Calogero is great, and Palminteri's Sonny is just classic.

Admittedly, the film has some pretty significant personal resonance with me since that area of the Bronx was where my family lived growing up, and even though I never experienced the Italian-American stoop lifestyle you see in the film until it was mostly disappearing through the 90s, I still feel strangely close to it.

fba898155fff82bccfd6a03db4cf3f82.gif

Finally got around to Doctor Strange. Overall it was well done, though something seemed to be missing that I couldn't put my finger on. Usual Marvel issue of the villain(s) being forgettable and not compelling in the slightest also dampened it.

Ridley327

Three: One of those suspense thrillers where the ultimate scheme is so elaborate and complicated that it couldn't possibly work at all, let alone with the precision it's ultimately executed with here, but the sly sense of humor that pervades throughout the film suggests at least some level of self-awareness of how incredibly silly everything actually is and is played right up to that hilt. Regardless, this is a Johnnie To film, where you can count on at least one absolutely brilliant sequence, and it sure gets one late in the film with a shootout so wildly theatrical that it plays more like a kickass music video than anything that could ever be mistaken for realism, all while delivering a crystal clear amount of visual information to ensure all of it is easy to follow throughout its duration. Up until that point, it is fun to try and figure out just how our villain's plan will come together (further aided by the just-campy-enough performance from Wallace Chung, contrasting Louis Koo's stone-faced seriousness about as well as you could ask for), as well as piecing together how everyone got into this situation to begin that gets filtered through To's usual brand of "give them the bare minimum to work with" exposition. I can't imagine this being anyone's favorite Johnnie To film anytime soon, but it is still a fun, breezy sub-90 minutes that sticks its landing rather well.

Watching GITS again has really got me itching for more Oshii, and I'm thinking of taking a deep dive into his filmography. I had a conversation with my roommate about GITS last night that turned into a two hour discussion about lots of random bullshit, but at one point we were reminiscing about Patlabor and all the anime we saw as kids on Teletoon (this anecdote might be too Canadian for some of you), so I'm thinking that's where I'm heading next. It has probably been just as long, if not longer, since I've seen Oshii's old Patlabor films.

Oshii Patlabor movies are bloody amazing (especially the 2nd one) but he also directed the Patlabor Ova 7ep, which is also highly recommended. A bit slice of life, procedural and with a very nice arc. You get to know a bit more about the characters while in the movies they sorta exist to Oshii tell a very specific story (similar style to Gits in that aspect).

SAC is a great entry to the GITS franchise. It doesn't have that pondering style, nor the exquisite animation but, in its own way, it branches into two incredible storylines while developing a lot the Section 9 characters. It's a great show, and although unrelated to the movies, I actually think it adds something to them. That sort of knowledge about who they were (and are) that the movies clearly are uninterested, that's where SAC shines.

Sean C

Another Part of the Forest (1948): Lillian Hellman revisits the origins of the Hubbard family, the toxic clan at the root of all evil in her stage play The Little Foxes (and its classic 1941 film adaptation), to diminishing returns. The original film is an overlooked classic of the period; Another Part of the Forest is competent, but largely unexceptional.

There's been a decline in the talent involved across the board. This isn't to say that the cast and crew here are bad, by any means, but almost anyone would suffer in comparison to the likes of William Wyler and Bette Davis. In the latter case, in fairness to Ann Blyth, Regina Hubbard isn't nearly as interesting on the page this time around either, lacking the decades of accumulated frustration that would define her in The Little Foxes. I most mourn the absence of Charles Dingle as Ben Hubbard. Ironically, in light of what I've written up to this point, the one returning castmember from The Little Foxes is probably the least-successful part of the ensemble -- Dan Duryea, who played Leo Hubbard, now plays Leo's father Oscar (essayed in the original by Carl Benton Reid). Going in I thought it would be interesting to see Duryea play such a different character (Oscar was a cruel, sharp man), but the opposite approach was taken, and the young Oscar is played as a fool virtually indistinguishable from Leo. It's unconvincing in the extreme.

More generally, Hellman's story is content to repeat many of the same beats as the original film, where
vice largely prevails but one of the sympathetic female characters (in this case, Hubbard matriarch Lavinia) walks away after denouncing the rest of the family. The strife and disrespect in the marital dynamic echoes the later relationship between Oscar and Birdie
. And yet, for all that, Hellman is a good writer, even when she's repeating herself. The jabs are often sharp, and she takes an interesting and complex approach to the power dynamics of the Old South. In many films, casting the villainous Hubbards as the only people in town to realize the Confederate cause was doomed could be read as a pro-Confederate message by implication, but not so here.

Kundun was a little light on character development (I never really was able to see how the Dalai Lama thinks) but the photography, production design and dat Philip Glass score are just phenomenal.

A Lonely Place to Die (2011) - Five mountain climbers go out in the Scottish countryside to tackle some forbidding cliffs, but when they come across a pipe in the ground and a girl buried in a box at the other end of it, the vacation is over. What follows is a thrill-ride across the barren slopes of Scotland, into some rapids and through what appears to be a Beltaine or Samhain festival in a place called Arran Mor. Not gonna lie, I thought this was billed as more of a horror movie, but it's really a thriller. There's some pacing issues; I thought the beginning setup of the climbers went a bit long, and of course there's always the fifth wheel who is a real dick and you wonder why the two couples drag his douchebag ass along to these things.

Then Idris Elba shows up to do Idris Elba things and serve as a fucking rock in the middle of this ride.

All in all I enjoyed it. Not a bad use of 100 minutes.

3.5 / 5

T Dollarz

Clouds of Sils Maria was fucking wonderful, has anyone in here seen this? I loved the back and forth between Stewart and Binoche, the lack of a musical presence felt oddly refreshing, and my word the cinematography in the Swiss Alps was beautiful. Some seriously interesting themes on youth, getting older, Hollywood, feminism, it goes on. I never saw anything online about this when it came out, and only just now checked it out on netflix before I go see Personal Shopper later this week, which is now highly anticipated. Seriously, highly recommend this.

Edit: one more shout out for the acting on display here from Binoche and Stewart. In some ways it reminded me of the chemistry between Gleeson and Farrell in In Bruges. Even Chloe Grace Moretz really shined in little screentime.

kevin1025

Banned
Life

Attack of the flagellum monster! So I liked it, despite a glaring stupid part that made absolutely no sense in any way, shape, or form.
So the doctor dude sacrificed the safety of the crew so the thing could splurge on his leg some?
But apart from that, it was well executed, one of the death scenes was BRUTAL, and I quite liked the ending.

I saw it in a "Stars and Strollers" setting, where a bunch of moms bring their babies in. I'm not bashing them as parents but, y'know, not a great movie to bring a child to.

Ghost in the Shell

I liked this one quite a lot. I don't know anything about the source material other than its existence. Visually breathtaking, well shot, and well executed. It had some dull stretches, but when the movie hit its highs, it was well forgiven. And man, the music, the music is so good! The Major (had to) problem is that your lead is not entirely expressive, but it's kind of the point so it leaves some of the bigger parts cold. But I still had a great time with it, and really liked it a lot.

The whitewashing deal wasn't such a big concern for me. I can certainly see how it can be, but it was a tad necessary to get the price tag this movie had. I'm a little sad this thing is tanking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom