• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is bad breath still a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am stunned by the amount of people I encounter day to day that consistently have terrible breath. I'm talking about breath so bad that when they open their mouths it smells like a garbage dump. I always end up asking myself, how? There are dozens of options to fight bad breath. Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Floss, and Mouthwash can all be purchased for a buck a piece at any dollar store. On top of that, if you are a particularly lazy person that cant be bothered to brush your teeth in the mornings, There are a myriad of breath mint and chewing gum options for cheap. Am i missing something here GAF? How is bad breath still a problem in modern society?

soco

I think a lot of those options don't stop bad breath, especially if not used right. Brushing your teeth is a good example. I think a lot of the bad breath comes from the very back of your tongue, and that's often not reached with breathmints and mouthwash and stuff, so those things largely work only temporarily.

Plus, there are foods and such that seem to make this worse that people have after they brush their teeth. Coffee is one I've noticed that seems to make some people's breaths pretty terrible.

HeySeuss

Most people dont know they have bad breath to begin with. And since everyone is too afraid to tell them because they don't want to hurt their feelings, the cycle continues.

daffy

Banned
No one is telling them. Probably think they're shit don't stank. There needs to be a bad breathalyzer that turns red when you breath in it or something.

People will eat ass, put toothpaste on two teeth and call it a day

Mine comes from my gut. I have to constantly be chewing on a mint or gum to mask it. I don't really care if anyone else cares I do it because I hate smelling my bad breath.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My number one paranoia.

Because nobody would tell you. How would you know?

But let me escalate it for you.

"Hey, you kinda walk funny. Like, not crazy, but definitely a noticeably weird feminine/masculine walk."

Syder

Dental health is like etiquette or manners; some people's parents just don't teach them how to care for their teeth properly.

Trojan X

Banned
Shockingly, here in Japan, I've smelt more bad breath from Asian women! Some ladies think they are so good looking that they probably think that nothing is wrong with them from a hygiene point of view. Well, some of you girls' breath smell HARSH!!! No, nothing to do with food such as kimchi, it just proper smell stinky because other than their face and initial looks, they do not take better care of themselves. UGH!

However, I know something that is three times worse than smell breath and that is a smelly sinus. That makes me want to throw up and they are mainly from working men, especially those that are heavy smokers along with their foul sinus. There was a guy who was so bad, I smelled him three seats away on the train. Even when I put on a face mask it did nothing to save me from that awful stench. It's foul as fucK! UGH! This type of situation is one of the worse to be in, you are stuck sitting down on the side and some guy is front of you breathing out heavily with his sticky nose:

tokyo_subway.png

People with a sinus problem, sort that shit out ASAP! Clear out your nose before you venture home and take some medication. People with breath problems, drink more water/juice, floss and brush your teeth & tongue properly, and for goodness sake please especially drink something after you've eaten your food. Damn.

Oh yes. A message to people here that smells that crap from their own friend. SAY SOMETHING TO THAT PERSON, DAMMIT!! The person won't know unless you let them know.

I've always found it funny how halitosis is just about the worst word for someone with bad breath to say. Those long vowels really get the stench out.

pa22word

I don't know if I have bad breath or not. No one's complained. So it's not something I think about.

The rule of thumb I've always followed is lick the back of your hand, let it sit a bit to sort of dry, then smell it. If it stinks even a little your breath is foul. Have seriously no idea where I first heard this but I've been doing it since I was a kid and it's always led me true afaik.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This is why you carry and offer gum. If someone asks if you want some gum TAKE IT

Tagyhag

I am stunned by the amount of people I encounter day to day that consistently have terrible breath. I'm talking about breath so bad that when they open their mouths it smells like a garbage dump. I always end up asking myself, how? There are dozens of options to fight bad breath. Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Floss, and Mouthwash can all be purchased for a buck a piece at any dollar store. On top of that, if you are a particularly lazy person that cant be bothered to brush your teeth in the mornings, There are a myriad of breath mint and chewing gum options for cheap. Am i missing something here GAF? How is bad breath still a problem in modern society?

Well OP, you assume that bad breath can only come from not brushing, but there's a variety of different factors. Gingivitis, tonsil stones, periodontitis, diabetes, stomach conditions etc.

Permanently A

The rule of thumb I've always followed is lick the back of your hand, let it sit a bit to sort of dry, then smell it. If it stanks even a little your breath is foul. Have seriously no idea where I first heard this but I've been doing it since I was a kid and it's always led me true afaik.

shit

people don't clean their tongue when brushing. There is so much nasty ass gunk on my tongue in the morning and I know my breath smells bad if I don't clean it. INVEST IN A TONGUE CLEANER.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Because I'm a lazy piece of shit that cannot be bothered to brush my teeth or buy a few freshmakers.

Cmagus

This is why you carry and offer gum. If someone asks if you want some gum TAKE IT
This is what I do, I always have gum on me. Usually if a friend or someone I know has bad breath I always offer gum and if they say no I usually just say to take a piece discreetly and they're usually glad you told them. If I ever did have bad breath I'd want someone to tell me.

rapid32.5

coffee, many run on this "fuel" daily and it dries out your mouth and kills the stomach which is a major source of bad breath.

Stinkles

Shockingly, here in Japan...
tokyo_subway.png

Oh yes. A message to people here that smells that crap from their own friend. SAY SOMETHING TO THAT PERSON, DAMMIT!! The person won't know unless you let them know.

Considering Tokyo in August, I'm always amazed at the mildness of the smell. But it's a very distinct VINEGAR odor. Which is infinitely better than "western" BO. However, I agree, I've definitely gotten some traditional halitosis perfumes from the rare Japanese lady, as opposed to dudes.

cordy

Banned
Reminds me of when my supervisor was getting me my review at work. She was a foot away from me talking and when I say my eyes were watering my nigga, I mean it looked like I just ran inside from a thunderstorm. I straight up had to look the other way and look around just so I could see straight. She asked if I could sign the papers but my eyes were stinging so bad I said to leave it at my desk, I'm gonna have to use some personal time to head outside and get some air.

It was wild.

Monocle

My number one paranoia.

Because nobody would tell you. How would you know?

But let me escalate it for you.

"Hey, you kinda walk funny. Like, not crazy, but definitely a noticeably weird feminine/masculine walk."
Breath, voice, walk, odor... so many ways to fail in public and suffer the silent judgment of others.

Stinkles

Breath, voice, walk, odor... so many ways to fail in public and suffer the silent judgment of others.

My voice is the worst. In my head I sound like a young Sean Connery and on tape I sound like the teenage fast food kid from the Simpsons.

Because we're animals?

We're sacks of flesh that emit all sorts of smells and substances.

The idea modernity somehow gets rid of that is kinda naive.

Shockingly, here in Japan, I've smelt more bad breath from Asian women! Some ladies think they are so good looking that they probably think that nothing is wrong with them from a hygiene point of view. Well, some of you girls' breath smell HARSH!!! No, nothing to do with food such as kimchi, it just proper smell stinky because other than their face and initial looks, they do not take better care of themselves. UGH!

However, I know something that is three times worse than smell breath and that is a smelly sinus. That makes me want to throw up and they are mainly from working men, especially those that are heavy smokers along with their foul sinus. There was a guy who was so bad, I smelled him three seats away on the train. Even when I put on a face mask it did nothing to save me from that awful stench. It's foul as fucK! UGH! This type of situation is one of the worse to be in, you are stuck sitting down on the side and some guy is front of you breathing out heavily with his sticky nose:

tokyo_subway.png

People with a sinus problem, sort that shit out ASAP! Clear out your nose before you venture home and take some medication. People with breath problems, drink more water/juice, floss and brush your teeth & tongue properly, and for goodness sake please especially drink something after you've eaten your food. Damn.

I take a train to work and from work every day, and have noticed some foul stench that makes me completely nautious, I wonder if this is it... I never knew what it was, but sometimes people walk near and I start smelling it. Honestly the worst thing I've ever smelled, and I encounter it at least 3-4 days a week.

Monocle

My voice is the worst. In my head I sound like a young Sean Connery and on tape I sound like the teenage fast food kid from the Simpsons.
I remember having classes where I had to review videos of my public speaking presentations and critique myself. Needless to say, my self-image was in tatters after the first assignment.

I still depend on the fiction that other people hear my voice the way I think it sounds.

I have to use sensodyne toothpaste due to badly recessed gums. That stuff does not help your breath get clean, so I have bad breath more often than not :(

DirtyLarry

Some people just cannot help it.

I will not bore everyone with all the details but when I was 17 years old I met the most beautiful, smartest, talented girl (she was also an artist), and it was truly love at first sight.

Unfortunately she also was the first person I met that legit had chronic halitosis. She had stomach issues that made the acids in her stomach rise and it made her have awful breath.

I tried for upwards of 3 months to learn to accept it, but I was just an asshole and could not get past it. When I tell you there were nights she cried to me about her breath, I am not exaggerating. It was at the forefront of everything and I can fully admit, I was not mature about it. I did not handle it well. I just stopped calling her eventually.

5 years later I saw her at a random party, she came up and kissed me like I had never been kissed, and afterwards asked if I noticed anything. Caught off guard I said nothing, and she angrily said "my bad breath was fixed about 6 months after we were together for good. That is what you missed."

Luckily I had many girlfriends since her and it was not like I was sitting there thinking about her, but I would be lying if I did not think to myself I wonder what could have been. But it was what it was. I was primarily happy for her that she was able to get it resolved.

farisr

I remember having classes where I had to review videos of my public speaking presentations and critique myself. Needless to say, my self-image was in tatters after the first assignment.

I still depend on the fiction that other people hear my voice the way I think it sounds.
Whenever I hear my voice it sounds bad to me. And whenever singing karaoke or rock band, people call me a good singer, but I think they're all in on a joke or something and I'm just really really bad at it. Surely that has to be the case, after all there is a big disconnect between my normal speaking voice in my head and what it actually sounds like, so why wouldn't the same apply when I'm singing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom