• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump blames Constitution for chaos of his first 100 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
That gosh darned Constitution.

He blamed the constitutional checks and balances built in to US governance. ”It's a very rough system," he said. ”It's an archaic system ... It's really a bad thing for the country."

Some other things to mull over.

He has failed to get any of his priorities turned into legislation in the face of party disunity, and his attempt to rule by executive order has been largely hollow. His decrees have been either meaningless, like his one-page, detail-free tax reform plan, or have been blocked by the courts, such as his travel ban for Muslim countries and refugees.

Trump's approval ratings have remained mired at historic lows for a presidency in what is supposed to be a honeymoon period, hovering around – and frequently below – the 40% mark, well below his recent predecessors at this stage in their presidencies.

The gap between the extreme bravado of Trump's claims and the daily realities of governing has deepened public cynicism. In a new Gallup poll, just 36% declared him honest and trustworthy, down from 42% in early February. His general approval rating stood at 40%.

There is strong evidence, however, that the fact-checking of presidential claims is having a small and dwindling impact on true Trump loyalists. His support remains strong in traditional blue collar areas and evangelical strongholds, where there is more trust in the president than the mainstream media. The president has relentlessly assaulted the media, launching an attack per day on average since he took office, denouncing negative news as fake news, and there are signs the relentless offensive has inflicted wounds. One poll released on Friday found that more people trusted the White House than political journalists.

Bannon was also said to have drafted an executive order withdrawing the US from the North American Free Trade Area (Nafta), but on Thursday Trump decided simply to issue a call for its renegotiation reportedly after having been shown a map showing it would cost the most jobs in states that had supported him in the election. The battle between countervailing factions in the Trump White House continues to ebb and flow, but the president's reflexes in times of adversity lead him to fall back on the ”America First" narrative that got him elected in the first place.

---

Related: In an interview with Fox News that aired Friday night, Trump dismissed the ”archaic" rules of the House and Senate — using that word four times — and suggested they needed to be streamlined for the good of the country. WaPo

”You can't go through a process like this. It's not fair. It forces you to make bad decisions. I mean, you're really forced into doing things that you would normally not do except for these archaic rules."

That's exactly what a tyrannical fascist would say

It's almost ironic that now I know exactly what my Dad felt for the last 8 years with "King Obama"

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's still hard to fathom that this country elected a man without a basic understanding of how the government works as president.

Magwik

Banned
It's still hard to fathom that this country elected a man without a basic understanding of how the government works as president.
It really goes to show how fucked the entire system is where a man like this can rise to such power, amas such wealth, and win the presidency while groping women and spring hate.

Big One

Banned
To be honest these first 100 days have been a breath of fresh air cause literally nothing he's trying to do is actually passing. It pretty much establishes that even the GOP knows he's an unreliable cunt with bad ideas.

It kind of makes me sleep at night better to be honest.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

They don't understand it either. They think removing the courts from the picture would be a boon for FREEDOM.

That's exactly what a tyrannical fascist would say

It's almost ironic that now I know exactly what my Dad felt for the last 8 years with "King Obama"

Outside of the fact that he's not a black Muslim (OR IS HE), Trump is literally, to a goddamn T, the every single thing that the Right accused Obama of being. It's incredible.

Monocle

Some voters want their president to be just like themselves.

Dismissive of facts, arrogantly self-assured, dumb as all fuck.

Imm0rt4l

I'm reminded of that painting of Obama stepping on the constitution, much to the dismay of all the presidents before him.

And 96% of Republicans would vote for him again.

Marinate in those juices.

Well sure, name me any of the other Republican candidates that had half the groundswell he did. If the goal is "beat the Democrats" of course they'd rather have him in office than nothing at all.

linkboy

Doesn't his party worship the constitution?

His party will worship anything that will bring them closer to the only thing they care about,

25042423-Macro-shot-of-a-100-dollar-Benjamin-Franklin-as-depicted-on-the-bill-Stock-Photo.jpg

Dishwalla

Banned
So if he criticizes the document he has sworn to uphold under oath, perhaps he shouldn't be president?

I mean I'm in the military and have likewise taken an oath to uphold and defend the constitution, and if I criticized it I'd get in trouble.

royalan

Well sure, name me any of the other Republican candidates that had half the groundswell he did. If the goal is "beat the Democrats" of course they'd rather have him in office than nothing at all.

I can't.

And if that doesn't demonstrate something seriously wrong with our country, I don't know what does.

Mobius 1

So if he criticizes the document he has sworn to uphold under oath, perhaps he shouldn't be president?

I mean I'm in the military and have likewise taken an oath to uphold and defend the constitution, and if I criticized it I'd get in trouble.

Genuine question - if the president dismiss or break his oath to the Constitution in an egregious way, where would your and your fellow soldier's loyalty lie? Do you think the military would stand by the Constitution or the Commander-In-Chief?

TylerD

Too bad he's not going to rewrite the constitution. He should think about something more attainable like passing Trumpcare or his tax reform. LOL

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He's so close, like, on the cusp of making a critical realization about himself relative to the engine of governance, and yet he will never see the system was designed to make sure someone like him can't ruin everything in "100 days".

”You can't go through a process like this. It's not fair. It forces you to make bad decisions. I mean, you're really forced into doing things that you would normally not do except for these archaic rules."
This is 100% true and 100% not the lesson he should be taking away from his consistent failures.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I do wonder if there is any line that he could cross that could get his cult off the band wagon. I'm not even sure him being a full on pedophile with hard proof everywhere could do it. They'd make excuses and not believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom