• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console War III: Sony's first jab at Microsoft: "Jump Out", "Yoga Isn't Gaming"

Midou

Seems like to me that some people in here are confusing Aggressive Sony with pre-PS3 Arrogant Sony.

Seems there are a lot of people taking it too seriously in general. Aggressive console wars are best console wars. PS3 and 360 ended up neck-in-neck sales wise at the 'end' of this gen, hopefully they each do something to distinguish themselves next-gen.

0173_rkfe7.gif

Jump out doesn't really make much sense.

I know, it's such a juvenile come back.

They should focus on actually marketing their games instead of attacking the leader.

Yawnier

Banned
Considering the PS3 mistakes and the failure of the PSVita, any statement (whether it aggressive or arrogant) is rather bold.

And it was that same boldness/aggressiveness that Sony did with the PS2 that had them totally dominate the Dreamcast, Xbox and Gamecube in a sales landslide.

Seems there are a lot of people taking it too seriously in general.
Aggressive console wars are best console wars. PS3 and 360 ended up neck-in-neck sales wise at the 'end' of this gen, hopefully they each do something to distinguish themselves next-gen.

I completely agree.

davious88

Banned
"Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"
- Thomas Hesse, Sony BMG's president of global digital business, responding to the outcry over Sony's DRM Rootkit spyware uncovered on its music CDs

"You can look at the software that they sell. All their licensed kid stuff. So, what we're doing with the PlayStation Portable is really establishing a new marketplace, and establishing, frankly, a new beachhead."
- Peter Dille, Sony US Senior Vice President of Marketing, on comparing PSP to DS

“The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance. Those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth. With the DS , it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen. But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios, on comparing PSP to DS in an interview with MCV

"It’s probably too cheap…"
– Ken Kutaragi, Regarding the $499 to $599 price point

"(the PS3) is not a game machine…"
- Ken Kutaragi, Regarding the machine’s beefy hardware architecture

"The name of the game is not market share, it’s how fast we (Sony) can grow the industry."
– Ken Kutaragi, regarding competition from Microsoft and Nintendo

"…for consumers to think to themselves ‘I will work more hours to buy one’. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."
– Ken Kutaragi, explaining their marketing goals for the PS3

"We do not care."
– Kaz Hirai, current President of Computer Entertainment, regarding competition from Microsoft and Nintendo

"I don't think the battle would be any different with or without Grand Theft Auto... I don't think it (losing Grand Theft Auto would) hurts us. No, I really don't."
- Jack Tretton, Sony Computer Entertainment America president and CEO

"If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1200 bucks for it."
- Jack Tretton, Sony Computer Entertainment America president and CEO

"The first five million are going to buy it (PS3), whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games."
- David Reeves, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO

"Microsoft does not concern us. Microsoft is not a technology company."
- Nobuyuki Idei, Sony chief corporate adviser in an interview with BBC NEWS

"A bit pricey."
- Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, speaking about Nintendo Wii in an interview with the age.com.au

"We have a lot of respect for Nintendo, but with a December launch, how much stock are they going to get at a AU$400 price point? What is the consumer offering? So I don't think anyone will do more units than a PS2 this (Christmas)."
- Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, regarding the launch of Nintendo Wii

"Sorry you didn't have the opportunity to buy a PS3 this year, but I'm sure it beats lining up in a queue for hours on end only to be told the store has sold out."
- Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Australia in an interview with the age.com.au

"There’s this sort of misunderstanding that the Blu-ray disc player for movies is somehow burdening the console with unnecessary cost. That is completely not true... Once we had that storage capacity on Blu-ray Disc, adding the movie playback functionality was extremely cost-effective, [the cost] is actually non-existent."
- Phil Harrison, regarding the wholesale cost of the system’s Blu-ray player

"Nobody will ever use 100% of PS3's capability"
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios speaking with MTV news.

"The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios, in an interview with GameSpot

"I have no concerns about the competition."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios speaking at the Game Developer Conference

"I don’t think we’re arrogant."
– Phil Harrison, regarding consumer perception of Sony

"We're certainly not interested in Gimmicks."
- Kaz Hirai0 E32k6, right before showing off Eye of Judgement.

"Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it’s pretty much defined by a boy or girl’s ability to admire Pokemon."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios

"But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick."
- Sony executive Phil Harrison cuts to the chase with his incisive analysis of the Nintendo DS in gaming paper MCV.

"Consider the US with its massive land and cheap people. Then you look at the UK - a little island where rent and rates are at an absolute premium, and the cost of people is a lot more."
- Sony's take on the consumers, as told by UK Managing Director Ray

---------------------------------------

Welcome back, Sony.

cherrypicking.jpg

They should focus on actually marketing their games instead of attacking the leader.

Lol

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member

It's all in good fun and I must admit to liking the friendly competition and marketing smack talk. I've always been platform agnostic so I've never taken it too seriously.

Frankly, it's nice that Sony has a swagger back. They have every reason to be confident going into next gen. They're well positioned in Japan and Europe. They won't be facing a pricing or time to market deficit. They will probably still have the most powerful system. They are riding a wave of good will from gamer thanks to PS+ and late gen titles like Last of Us and Beyond. Plus they've got Next Gen projects from Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Evolution and Santa Monica in their back pocket. Nintendo has faceplanted, and Microsoft seems distracted trying to make Xbox Live exclusive television programming and transmedia experiences. Plus if you look at the turnaround in Sony's Mobile and Camera divisions, it's clear Kaz has basically been kicking ass since taking over.

Yawnier

Banned
Just reminding Sony about their forgotten son.

Trying to be funny, and still bitter paying £425 for the PS3 :(

True, but that didn't work for the PS3.

Well, at least quite a few of the people who made those outlandish statements are either completely gone from the company (Phil Harrison, David Reeves, Nobuyuki Idei) or have a very limited presence there now (Crazy Ken; I'm not sure if he has 100% left Sony yet).

Cornbread78

Trash talk is a sign of weakness.

- Yeah, tell that to Bill Russel, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant, Tom Brady, Muhammad Ali.... They beg to differ....

If Sony is going to the more hardcore focus console, I'll get it.

- Remember, Sony is all about the GAMES and the Hardcore Gamer GAMER.... They said so last year...

hardcore on launch, casual 3 years later
gamers tend to forget this and enter in stupid circle again

- historical facts are not condusive to good Fanboy wars...

This combined with the Yoga jabs, Sony is back to arrogant mode and feeling themselves.

Arrogant, not with those comments... trying to build hype, yup, that's about right here.... America loves this competitive crap, it's the same things with all sports. Why not mirror that marketing?

They're well positioned in Japan and Europe.

Have you been into a Media Create thread recently? Nintendo own Japan. Europe is by far Sony's most secured continent next generation.

Well, at least quite a few of the people who made those outlandish statements are either completely gone from the company (Phil Harrison, David Reeves, Nobuyuki Idei) or have a very limited presence there now (Crazy Ken; I'm not sure if he has 100% left Sony yet).

Well Phil Harrison is at Microsoft now, anything is possible.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If Sony really does intend to deliver on the promise of a games-focused console, then bringing attention to the failings of the competition in that area is a good strategy, at least at first.

The worry, that others have already expressed, is that Sony will also put too much emphasis on Wonderbook/Fitness/entertainment hub functionality. They should include and tout those features eventually, but right now the people foaming at the mouth for new hardware probably want to see some impressive core games, perhaps enhanced with peripheral features of the console like sharing and whatever social hooks Sony has come up with.

The worry, that others have already expressed, is that Sony will also put too much emphasis on Wonderbook/Fitness/entertainment hub functionality. They should include and tout those features eventually, but right now the people foaming at the mouth for new hardware probably want to see some impressive core games, perhaps enhanced with peripheral features of the console like sharing and whatever social hooks Sony has come up with.

Agree.

Sony need to get back to basics (like the PS2). A pure gaming machine with additional functionality.

Lynn616

Frankly, it's nice that Sony has a swagger back. They have every reason to be confident going into next gen. They're well positioned in Japan and Europe. They won't be facing a pricing or time to market deficit. They will probably still have the most powerful system. They are riding a wave of good will from gamer thanks to PS+ and late gen titles like Last of Us and Beyond. Plus they've got Next Gen projects from Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Evolution and Santa Monica in their back pocket. Nintendo has faceplanted, and Microsoft seems distracted trying to make Xbox Live exclusive television programming and transmedia experiences. Plus if you look at the turnaround in Sony's Mobile and Camera divisions, it's clear Kaz has basically been kicking ass since taking over.

Have they stopped losing money yet?

edit: Nevermind I looked it up.

Annual profit (last year) -$5.8B
Net profit margin -7.03%

Shayan

Banned
Considering the PS3 mistakes and the failure of the PSVita, any statement (whether it aggressive or arrogant) is rather bold.

Vita's demise is like PC/Windows --people are moving to different things . As for PS3, it became successful and went on to beat x360 in ww sales and is currently the top selling console ww on a monthly basis. Also SONY has the strongest lineup of first party titles and chances of a delayed /bad launch is very minimal, with the console market only growing bigger in terms of ww sales

With Europe and Asia in the bag, and their main competitor in those markets Wii U failing to gain steam,any reason why they shouldnt be a little arrogant?

Seems there are a lot of people taking it too seriously in general. Aggressive console wars are best console wars. PS3 and 360 ended up neck-in-neck sales wise at the 'end' of this gen, hopefully they each do something to distinguish themselves next-gen.

This.

Sony fucking up rallied MS and the 360 to arms. Now they're getting lazy. Sony's own fuck up and MS' complacency has got the fire to Sony's heels. Nintendo's mismanagement spawned the Wii, and when they dump Iwata (and if they make it through this gen) we'll see them try something new.

ed

Have they stopped losing money yet?

I was giving Kaz some shit lately but there's a thread here on how he's really turning the company around.

So I shut the hell up.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Fuck yeah. I love console wars. It kinda got boring as PS3 and 360 ended up in a tie, and Wii first won and then lost.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Agree.

Sony need to get back to basics (like the PS2). A pure gaming machine with additional functionality.

That would be my preferred scenario as a consumer. The question is whether there are enough people like us to make a platform like that financially viable. The games market has expanded and grown in many directions since the PS2 was king and I don't think the core base has necessarily grown proportionally with all the other segments.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yoga isn't gaming.. yeah playstation.. why did I get bothered with wonderbook, move shit on the ps3 and eyetoy crap on the ps2 don't pretend that you didn't do the same shit only because you have bow 2 good exclusives this year ( last of us and beyond)

I love my ps3 but they should look at their own moves.. I mean will microsoft tease them with " we release games we announce" and do a jab on Versus and last guardian?

I'm still hyped for the next console but I hate fanboyism and console wars shit.

Both are good

Midou

Yoga isn't gaming.. yeah playstation.. why did I get bothered with wonderbook, move shit on the ps3 and eyetoy crap on the ps2 don't pretend that you didn't do the same shit only because you have bow 2 good exclusives this year ( last of us and beyond)

I love my ps3 but they should look at their own moves.. I mean will microsoft tease them with " we release games we announce" and do a jab on Versus and last guardian?

I'm still hyped for the next console but I hate fanboyism and console wars shit.

Both are good

A couple short lines should not make people this upset. Competition is good for everyone.

nib95

Banned
Then they are going out of business, because core market alone isn't big enough to sustain current console model.

This simply isn't true, as is indicated by past console winners and the biggest selling games in any of the generations. Don't let the Wii's runaway temporary success fool you in to thinking otherwise.

Everdred

Daaaaamn, I usually side with Xbox (even though I own a PS3) but that Yoga comment makes me believe that Sony is going to be all about gaming and I WANT THAT. I will fully support Sony and go PS4 only if they run with that. I'll even give up my Halo addiction. I don't like the direction Microsoft has been going, I thought they were best on the original Xbox.

Midou

This simply isn't true, as is indicated by past console winners and the biggest selling games in any of the generations. Don't let the Wii's runaway temporary success fool you in to thinking otherwise.

Yes. PS2 still made mad bank and it didn't have any sort of way to pull in soccer moms and old people like Wii did. Don't think the PS3 and 360's main reason for each hitting their sales numbers is that significantly impacted by MOVE or Kinect. Especially not MOVE.

Copenap

Wow, isn't it amazing? Both consoles haven't even launched and people are already so biased, one would think everybody would just get the console that fits best when actually launched instead of already chosing the site without any info and then maybe having to defend that choice when reality hits and they don't want to back out.

Anyways, I'm always in for a good laugh and personally will just get the consoles that interests me the most.

Taurus

You can't compare past console winners to predict the future since the market has changed so much with higher costs.

In a guest column on Kotaku today, Cousins said the console market was on the way out for a number of reasons. He cited the massive expense of making console games, and noted that the Microsoft and Sony business divisions that housed the companies' console businesses combined for nearly $8 billion in losses since R&D on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 would have started.

While there may always be gamers who want and will pay for consoles, there may not be enough of them, Cousins said. The problem is that the mainstream gamers who buy Call of Duty, Halo, Madden, and not much else are being targeted and won over by mobile platforms, where they can play games cheap or for free on devices they might already own.

"Without this huge group of people buying consoles or console games, the console platform holders will no longer be able to make enough money to justify developing, marketing, and manufacturing the devices," Cousins said.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-07-pcs-will-replace-consoles-says-ben-cousins

Read especially the last bolded part.

Midou

Sure, if they want to keep losing money...

The industry has changed, you gotta learn to accept it.

Losing money in non-gaming divisions last I heard.

Plus, once again, did MOVE actually do so well that it helped the PS3 catch up to the 360 even with being a year behind? I kind of doubt it. If Kinect didn't push 360 into a Wii-like lead, maybe casual gamers don't matter that much. The Wii-U has already gone with a different approach, so Nintendo doesn't care about them either apparently.

Top Bottom