• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NT Analogue announces Super NT

• Thread starter Deleted member 20415
  • Start date
Holy shit, if Kevtris can actually make a jailbroken firmware exclusive to this that has Genesis and TG16 my mind will be blown to bits. Since the NT Mini firmware wasn't able to go past 8 bit systems.

Eventually (in 5-10 years?) we could have one FPGA system that can perfectly play any retro console (theoretically), right?

Balb

Sounds promising. I'll probably wait a little for potential jail broken firmware before I consider purchasing it. Shame it doesn't support analogue formats though. Would have liked a definitive SNES machine.

Aeana

Yeah, last thing I saw re: SNES on FGPA was a very rough experimental version from a year ago or more, developed by one guy. I guess Analogue has significant resources going into this.

AFAIK this is still developed by one guy, Kevin Horton.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Whoa, out of nowhere. It was obvious this was coming, but to be honest I didn't expect it to be announced so close to Super NES Mini.

Some very smart decisions. I prefer the original look, but that amount of aluminum cost is very hard to justify, so I think they did the right thing.

Missing the beautiful lifestyle shots!

Huh, weird how pgate1, jwdonal and now nt analogue are all releasing snes fpga implementations at around the same time. Guess it's "steam engine time". Great to see!

Orayn

Eventually (in 5-10 years?) we could have one FPGA system that can perfectly play any retro console (theoretically), right?

I think the future could get both better and worse. You have greatly increased complexity, but some of the slightly more recent chips could actually still be available, whether in original form or BC modes on their newer counterparts.

The copyright situation also gets thorny in that you'd need the original firmware to perfectly replicate the behavior of something like the PlayStation. I know there are a few emulators out there that don't require it, but I have no idea whether or not that approach could be implemented for something that's using an FPGA.

Justinh

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
This is pretty dang sweet. And it looks so much better than the design they went with with the Nt (Mini). Wish they'd revisit the Nt again as I do have a softer spot for the NES.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Since this is using an Altera Cyclone V FPGA just like the Nt mini is it wrong for me to assume Kevtris would be able to release a jailbroken firmware that also included all the cores from the Nt mini?

Justinh

This is pretty dang sweet. And it looks so much better than the design they went with with the Nt (Mini). Wish they'd revisit the Nt again as I do have a softer spot for the NES.

I guess it would be pretty neat if they released an HDMI only, plastic-enclosed NT that was cheaper for people who can't/don't want to shell out so much for the NT mini, but I suppose that role is already filled by the retroUSB AVS.

I'm really torn on this one. I like the price and the simplicity of just hooking it straight up, but I already have a 1-chip SNES, and just ordered a Super Famicom, that I run through a Framemiester. Image quality wise this probably wouldn't be much of a change. It would be really nice to not have to worry about an external scaler though.

NeOak

I got to the Credit Card details and was about to pull the trigger on that transparent model.

Thought about it and realized I wasn't gonna play it anyway.

;-;

Dan-o

Yeah but... What colour??? I can't decide. Leaning towards the famicom... but the black is kinda nice, too. But I loved my North American SNES...

decisions decisions...

Awesome. I'm ready for this. As someone who owns original NES and SNES hardware and has invested in an RGB/CRT setup, the original Analog NT was not worth the $500. But this? This is great. Excellent cost-saving decisions.

Chittagong

Gold Member
No rewind feature in this, right? SNES Classic still has an ace up its sleeve I guess.

Save States is the MVP of SNES Mini for me, but then again, this is a completely different product, this is actual hardware emulation, so stuff like the Yoshi's Island background glitch shouldn't happen.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm really torn on this one. I like the price and the simplicity of just hooking it straight up, but I already have a 1-chip SNES, and just ordered a Super Famicom, that I run through a Framemiester. Image quality wise this probably wouldn't be much of a change. It would be really nice to not have to worry about an external scaler though.
Well, one bonus is that this is faster than the Framemeister in terms of input latency!

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm tempted, but the uncertainty of my carts lasting many more years is deterring me.

How are the emulation carts out there? Do they add any inherent lag?

JP

Damn, that looks nice, it reminds me a touch of the final PSOne design.

I'm not sure I'd get my monies worth out of it though and I think the SNES Mini Classic is a really nice setup for me, even with it's flaws. Who knows, I could probably sell one of my SNES Mini Classics and nearly get the asking price of this for it.

Who knows, I may change my mind when people get a proper hands on with the machine.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I guess it would be pretty neat if they released an HDMI only, plastic-enclosed NT that was cheaper for people who can't/don't want to shell out so much for the NT mini, but I suppose that role is already filled by the retroUSB AVS.

And I actually have the AVS. So I guess I shouldn't complain much. Now to ponder whether I REALLY need this Super Nt or not.

I'm tempted, but the uncertainty of my carts lasting many more years is deterring me.

How are the emulation carts out there? Do they add any inherent lag?
From what I understood in this thread, if this gets jailbroken like the one before it, you don't even need a flashcart. You can load the ROMs straight from the built-in the SD card slot.

Seik

Banned
I'll just live on and pretend I didn't see any of this and keep on playing my SNES Classic.

It's awesome and I do want one, but I did put too much time on the SNES Classic already to ditch it, this is a case of first come first served.

This puts me in a dilema. I was planning to buy Krikzz B2snes this year to go with my SFC but this thing is the same price as this device. Whenever its jailbroken I imagine it can play anything which makes it very tempting. No compatibility problems opposed to those flash cards that cant play superFX. The B2snes feels pointless now. I also spent so much money on a damn framemeister last year. However the 1080p output is already outdated so maybe i should wait to sell my framemeister to buy a later OSSC model along the line than splurge on this.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Fuckity fuck fuck shit, I waited too long to sell off my original SNES hardware, now the value is gonna plummet.

Though now I dunno if I want to sell off my carts too or not.

Hmm.

Justinh

And I actually have the AVS. So I guess I shouldn't complain much. Now to ponder whether I REALLY need this Super Nt or not.

Oh yeah, I totally love my AVS. I'm tempted to buy another one now that they're just available to buy (not preorder) finally so I can see how the usb port is strengthened on the new units. I worry about breaking mine a lot, as it's an early unit.

The Scoreboard thing is pretty awesome too.
tKaeg0M.jpg
I'm number 4 here (after just checking, Thank God I didn't lose any places lol) It look me 4 and a half hours of straight play to get this far.

After thinking some more about this SNES FPGA system, I love it and I want one, but I don't have any SNES carts, and those are getting expensive...

~contemplations occuring

Decider

Sounds promising. I'll probably wait a little for potential jail broken firmware before I consider purchasing it. Shame it doesn't support analogue formats though. Would have liked a definitive SNES machine.

Same here. I'd pay more for a deluxe version with analogue outputs and built like a tank, too.

Edit: ho ho, it has an SD card slot. Do your thing, Kevtris.

Peltz

It's not doing any sort of gamma ramping, which I think is another thing we've come to appreciate in emulators like Higan/BSNES.

What is gamma ramping?

Same here. I'd pay more for a deluxe version with analogue outputs and built like a tank, too.

Edit: ho ho, it has an SD card slot. Do your thing, Kevtris.

Eh... most SNES systems have RGBs support. Unlike the NES, analogue support here would be a bit redundant don't you think?

Saroyan

I already have an RGB modded SNES Jr. that I play on a BVM so I don't need this.
But I still kinda want this.

I'm gonna need to think about this one, if it had analog out I would be sold, HDMI only makes me wonder if I would ever use it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Oh yeah, I totally love my AVS. I'm tempted to buy another one now that they're just available to buy (not preorder) finally so I can see how the usb port is strengthened on the new units. I worry about breaking mine a lot, as it's an early unit.

The Scoreboard thing is pretty awesome too.

I'm number 4 here (after just checking, Thank God I didn't lose any places lol) It look me 4 and a half hours of straight play to get this far.

I can never get the NintendoAge forums to approve my account. :(

Tarin02543

Is it true that 8bitdo controllers have bad dpads? I've read something about them having problems with diagonal directions.

Kawika

What is gamma ramping?

Eh... most SNES systems have RGBs support. Unlike the NES, analogue support here would be a bit redundant don't you think?

Unless he doesn't have a SNES.

This has me wondering, if they are doing the SNES in plastic, do you think they will make a cheaper NT? I mean, I want the FPGA NT mainly for the analogue output and the ability to play the other systems. This SNES has me shook. I don't know if I should zig or zag and buy the NT Mini. Its a bummer this doesn't have rgb out too.

Justinh

Is it true that 8bitdo controllers have bad dpads? I've read something about them having problems with diagonal directions.

I think it's case-by-case. I had issues with diagonals on my NES30 and I've seen other people say the same, but other people seem to be fine with it. I've seen another person/some youtuber say that if you switch the actual dpad plastic piece with one from a genuine controller, it improves the diagonals a lot. I don't know what the deal is for their SNES style controllers though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
This has me wondering, if they are doing the SNES in plastic, do you think they will make a cheaper NT? I mean, I want the FPGA NT mainly for the analogue output and the ability to play the other systems. This SNES has me shook. I don't know if I should zig or zag and buy the NT Mini. Its a bummer this doesn't have rgb out too.
I posted a quote in this thread from an interview saying they won't revisit the NES.

Phatcorns

I have a snes, and sfc, a snes classic from America and Europe and I’m still getting this. Favorite console of all time and the jail broken firmware makes it all the more appealing.

I want one of these, but it's an unreasonable purchase for me. I know it's more authentic than the SNES Classic, but I've got one of those.

What's the likelihood of someone making a custom firmware for it that can boot SNES backups from that SD Card?

I wonder how Super Game Boy looks with it?
Oh man, that's a really cool thought. It could look really great.

Top Bottom