• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2012

zigg

It's the price. I think 10€ for LW1 was a bit too much. In addition, I think the Wii controls for the game weren't that great either in the first place.
Huh. It's been ages since I played LW, but I doubt I could disagree more—I thought they did a pretty good job. (Price too, but the control thing seems particularly peculiar.)

Shiggy

Huh. It's been ages since I played LW, but I doubt I could disagree more—I thought they did a pretty good job. (Price too, but the control thing seems particularly peculiar.)

I just didn't like the circular pointer movement and throwing stones was also a bit annoying. I could see that working better with touch controls.
And when it comes to game pricing, I need to admit that I'm spoilt by European retail prices. Punch-Out for 2.99€? Ghost Trick for 4.99€? Skyward Sword for 20€? Most Nintendo-published Wii titles for 40€ at launch? 10€ for Lost Winds, a 4-hours game, looks just mighty expensive compared to what you can get for a similar amount of money.

Effect

Seems the Kid Icarus videos are returning to Nintendo Video. I wish they would just let us buy and download them from the eShop. The Shrek/Monsters videos are still up for purchase I believe though you have to search for them.

It's the price. I think 10€ for LW1 was a bit too much. In addition, I think the Wii controls for the game weren't that great either in the first place. While I don't know how they are on iOS (lack of interest), I prefer the portability of the iPad and the much cheaper price of software. There's a difference between buying a sequel for 10€ that you are unsure about and buying it for 0.79€.
"The portability of the ipad" made me lol

That's the best Wii game that's been released in quite some time.
No it's not, Pandora's Tower just came out remember?

Shiggy

"The portability of the ipad" made me lol

I don't know what's so funny about it but I've yet to see someone take out a Wii out of his/her pocket and use it in a restaurant, in a bus, or at university.

No it's not, Pandora's Tower just came out remember?

Thought it was a PS2 game, at least it looks like an early PS2 game :p

StayDead

I don't know what's so funny about it but I've yet to see someone take out a Wii out of his/her pocket and use it in a restaurant, in a bus, or at university.

Thought it was a PS2 game, at least it looks like an early PS2 game :p

If you've got an iPad in your pocket, I don't have a clue where you get your trousers from, but those are some big pockets! :p

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's the price. I think 10€ for LW1 was a bit too much. In addition, I think the Wii controls for the game weren't that great either in the first place. While I don't know how they are on iOS (lack of interest), I prefer the portability of the iPad and the much cheaper price of software. There's a difference between buying a sequel for 10€ that you are unsure about and buying it for 0.79€.
I'm still not sure I understand you. Must be because I never quite understood the entire 'I'd better get something guaranteed to be shit for a dollar than something potentially good for 10.' line of thinking. Then again, my 100%-completion LW speedrun sits at sub-1h, so I guess I'm biased when it comes to this subject (which also implies I've spent way more than 4h with that game or its sequel, so the ratio 4h / 10 bucks never stood for me).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Tumblepop has been rated by the ACB.

Ux0IN.jpg

Shiggy

I'm still not sure I understand you. Must be because I never quite understood the entire 'I'd better get something guaranteed to be shit for a dollar than something potentially good for 10.' line of thinking. Then again, my 100%-completion LW speedrun sits at sub-1h, so I guess I'm biased when it comes to this subject (which also implies I've spent way more than 4h with that game or its sequel, so the ratio 4h / 10 bucks never stood for me).

iOS gaming isn't shit in general, that might be your first misconception. And when I didn't think LW was that great in the first place, then it's no surprise that I would not want to invest a further 10€. For 0.79€ it might be some nice fun though, and as said, the portability is a plus for me as I prefer handheld gaming.
I never saw much replay value in LW, I didn't much like it's battle system, the controls, or the lack of a map. Still, for 0.79€ - which is basically nothing - I'd take it. Just as I wouldn't have bought Punch-Out Wii for 10€ - for 2.99€ I did.

zigg

the ratio 4h / 10 bucks never stood for me
I'm pretty comfortable with $2.50/hour of fun, if it's good.

As for me, I'm having a hard time accepting the notion of LW iOS as potentially good because I know it was designed around having a stick and a pointer. It's not that I hate iOS gaming as a rule, just that I've found it to work much better with games that work well with its input options.

blu

iOS gaming isn't shit in general, that might be your first misconception.
I don't think I said anything about iOS gaming in general. I was merely talking about the iOS LW port which got a couple of reviews at the time, both by people who first played it on the iOS and by people who compared it to the wiiware original. None of those was particularly positive about the port's controls. Which should not come surprising to anybody who's spent more than 15min with the original - the game's controls are not a poster candidate for a finger-touch re-implementation. And that's despite the fact the iOS port got adjustments in the enemy behavior, speed, etc.

As for me, I'm having a hard time accepting the notion of LW iOS as potentially good because I know it was designed around having a stick and a pointer. It's not that I hate iOS gaming as a rule, just that I've found it to work much better with games that work well with its input options.
Trust me, you're not alone there.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm pretty comfortable with $2.50/hour of fun, if it's good.

From the reviews of the iOS version, it's not that the controls are bad, is that the game mechanics have changed it bit making it a bit more tedious.
Sounds like if the below change hadn't been made, it would have been fine.

t's not the pearly white buttons, nor the analogue stick, but the fact that every time you start drawing a gust of wind the game momentarily pauses, giving you a chance to draw out your brisk gust or your snaking slipstream or your circular vortex.

In this iOS adaptation the game runs in real time, and you're asked to juggle movement and wind-drawing in unison.

For much of the time you'll hardly notice the change. Leaping over chasms or dealing with the odd gloopy enemy (essentially throwing them in the air and slamming them into the ground) doesn't require such speedy reflexes. But it's in the game's more demanding and finicky areas that the controls break down.

Take this example. On the Wii, the vortex manoeuvre involved popping a boulder up then pausing time to draw a circle around it. On iOS, however, you need to catch the leaping object in mid-air with a pinch of your fingers. This can be maddeningly ineffective, and the problem rears its head a little too often during fights.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multiformat/LostWinds/review.asp?c=36322

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Some news about CaveStory+ on eShop

Speaking of downloadable marketplaces, I also got some word from Tyrone about the upcoming release of Cave Story+ on the eShop. Let's start with the bad news first.

Even if you bought the prior version of the game on the DSiWare shop, you'll have to pick it up again if you want this enhanced, remade, 3D version. Per Tyrone: "So, it won't be a free update, unfortunately. I fought really hard to try to get it to be just a 'simple' update; I feel that Nintendo wanted the same thing too, but the logistics behind it are pretty huge. The good thing is that if you already bought the DSiWare version on your 3DS and ever delete it, you'll still be able to download it. The update won't stop you from playing the prior version of the game."

The other bit of bad news is that eShop version of Cave Story+ "can't do the Steam version's art or music, the former because of resolution, the latter because the file size would get massive." That's sort of a bummer, but not a huge deal. The HD sprites wouldn't look that different from the original graphics on the 3DS' small screen anyway. Having the original Cave Story sprites in 3D will be exciting enough. As for the soundtrack, the original sounds are timeless. No complaints about getting to hear them again.

[Art by Puglord]

On a more positive note, Tyrone gave us a rundown of some of the features for Cave Story+ on the eShop, some of which you may already know. In case you hadn't heard, the game will have "4:3 and widescreen modes (not stretched, but actually see more in widescreen mode), an option to flip the jump buttons (in case you're used to the DSiWare version or the 3DS cart version), just about all the modes from Cave Story+ on Steam (so it'll have even more levels than the WiiWare version), and touchscreen support for the Sub menu. We're also playing a lot with 3D and depth."

As someone who loves how 2D sprites look in 3D, I couldn't me more excited about that.

Tyrone also let us know a bit of why this port is happening: "To be totally honest, the update is entirely for selfish reasons. I don't like playing DSiWare games on the 3DS, and I especially don't like playing Cave Story DSiWare on my 3DS. Instead of being 16x16 pixels, the main character becomes 20x20 and the entire game is a bit blurry. Daisuke made some beautiful pixel art and I want to play it the right way. In a month or so, you'll see what I mean."

http://www.destructoid.com/nicalis-comments-on-wii-u-cave-story-on-the-eshop-226677.phtml

Lijik

Rayman for Gameboy Color rated for the eShop.

http://www.rayman-fanpage.de/history/grafik_2000/rayman_gbc_box_big_front_eu.jpg[IMG]

[url]http://www.destructoid.com/rayman-rated-for-the-3ds-virtual-console-226716.phtml[/url]

YES. My first Gameboy game ever! Can't wait to pick this up and have teh nostalgiaings.[/QUOTE]

This confuses me since the GBC version was a downport of the original Rayman... which is available as DSiWare on the eshop.

Hopefully this means Rayman 2 gbc is on its way soon, never got a chance to play that one. Its a loose adaption of Rayman 2 with the Rayman GBC engine

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Tyrone also let us know a bit of why this port is happening: "To be totally honest, the update is entirely for selfish reasons. I don't like playing DSiWare games on the 3DS, and I especially don't like playing Cave Story DSiWare on my 3DS. Instead of being 16x16 pixels, the main character becomes 20x20 and the entire game is a bit blurry. Daisuke made some beautiful pixel art and I want to play it the right way. In a month or so, you'll see what I mean."

Damn right.

I was actually JUST about to purchase the game for my XL the night before the news about the eShop version came out. I decided to get a smaller game instead and buy Cave Story after I beat that one.

BooJoh

Some tidbits from that article:

"So, it won't be a free update, unfortunately. I fought really hard to try to get it to be just a 'simple' update; I feel that Nintendo wanted the same thing too, but the logistics behind it are pretty huge.

eShop version of Cave Story+ "can't do the Steam version's art or music, the former because of resolution, the latter because the file size would get massive."

the game will have "4:3 and widescreen modes (not stretched, but actually see more in widescreen mode), an option to flip the jump buttons (in case you're used to the DSiWare version or the 3DS cart version), just about all the modes from Cave Story+ on Steam (so it'll have even more levels than the WiiWare version), and touchscreen support for the Sub menu. We're also playing a lot with 3D and depth."

"To be totally honest, the update is entirely for selfish reasons. I don't like playing DSiWare games on the 3DS, and I especially don't like playing Cave Story DSiWare on my 3DS. Instead of being 16x16 pixels, the main character becomes 20x20 and the entire game is a bit blurry. Daisuke made some beautiful pixel art and I want to play it the right way. In a month or so, you'll see what I mean."

Sounds great to me, and the "selfish" reasons for the eShop update are exactly what kept me from buying the DSiWare version in the first place. I'm pretty sure I'll be double-dipping once this hits.

Somnid

Kinda sucks they couldn't make it a free update but it's understandable given the structural differences. At least they tried. I'm a little bit turned off by the lacking features. I was hoping it'd be at parity with the Steam version.

Roto13

Considering DSiWare and 3DSWare are as different platforms as PSP downloads and Vita downloads, it makes sense that it's not an update.

I don't know why that stops them from giving it out for free to people who bought the DSiWare version. :p Though that probably would make the update less than worthwhile.

Can't do the Steam version's music because of file size restrictions? That can't be right. According to Cave Story's Steam page, it only takes up 64 MB of hard disk space.

Instrumentation differences?

maybe nintendo stablished a filesize limitation ...

if full fledged carts are coming, maybe it's like:

eShop:2-10 buks -- 1-128MB
eShop:10-15 buks - 128-256MB
eShop Cart: 15-24 bucks 256-1GB
eShop Cart: TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!

thomaser

I hope that Cave Story + doesn't mean that the DSiWare version will never show up in Europe... I mean, I'll buy the new version when (if) it comes here, but I would buy the DSi version too. I WANT to buy both, dammit.

blu

I hope that Cave Story + doesn't mean that the DSiWare version will never show up in Europe... I mean, I'll buy the new version when (if) it comes here, but I would buy the DSi version too. I WANT to buy both, dammit.
Lemme guess - an XL owner?

How is the DSi version of Rayman?
It's good.

Some tidbits from that article:

Sounds great to me, and the "selfish" reasons for the eShop update are exactly what kept me from buying the DSiWare version in the first place. I'm pretty sure I'll be double-dipping once this hits.
ACK. Who can get in touch with Nicalis about this?

There is NO size restriction on the eShop, right?

Don't do this, put all the soundtracks up there. You have a chance to do this right. DO IT RIGHT.

Maybe by size they mean like RAM and processing and got the wording wrong.
What would RAM and processing have to do with offering multiple soundtrack options?

While it's surprising to me that they're releasing Cave Story again, I'll buy this one. Maybe Rayman as well.

What would RAM and processing have to do with offering multiple soundtrack options?

Maybe the files have problems being streamed, due to audio hardware limitations of the 3DS?

EDIT:

What audio hardware limitations?

I don't know, I'm talking theoretically. Something about the format of the music that doesn't allow for 3DS compatibility. It makes sense in a nebulous way.

ACK. Who can get in touch with Nicalis about this?

There is NO size restriction on the eShop, right?

Don't do this, put all the soundtracks up there. You have a chance to do this right. DO IT RIGHT.

There likely is, but we don't know what it is.
There are already games breaking the 200MB size, though.

Maybe the files have problems being streamed, due to audio hardware limitations of the 3DS?
What audio hardware limitations?

There likely is, but we don't know what it is.
There are already games breaking the 200MB size, though.
Right, but the limitation would probably be a purely technical one (like XBLA's 2GB limit), not a set one.

And with retail games on the way, there's no excuse for them to release a feature-less version and blame it on something that isn't a problem.

I got bored of Game & Watch Gallery after a couple of days (guess score attack isn't my thing anymore now that I'm not young and own more than 4 games) but REALLY want to buy G&W2.

What's wrong with me?

Top Bottom