• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

marmoka

Banned
There are times when we get the new chapter on Wednesdays instead of Thursday after breaks. Any chances of getting the chapter tomorrow?

Ray Down

Banned
I will try not to read them. But I can't wait either.

What happened to your Pudding avatar? Does she screw up in this chapter? Hope not!

She didn't do anything, I just decided to change it to keep it fresh.

If she does something this chapter or I find some good fanart (found some I could use), she will be back.

Ray Down

Banned
Man I might have to read spoilers lol I'm dying here

U4enbmg.gif

caliph95

Captain merican reads spoilers? I knew I was making the right choice by backing Iron Man.
Talking about drugs

But i imagine Captain America would be the guy who waits for the official version and is sympathetic to artists (he's an artist as well) while Tony reads spoiler to see if it is worth his time

Veelk

Banned
Or give him Fairy Tail as a palate cleanser.

$100 a volume. I'll do it for nothing less than that. I'm not even joking either.

Speaking of other manga, did you guys ever read Psyren? I kinda rediscovered it recently. I read it all the way through way back when, and was really disappointed it got cancelled because I remember it being really good.

Are we not allowed to talk about this in a thread where we obviously all do it since we talk about the new chapters every week? I'm confused lol

$100 a volume. I'll do it for nothing less than that. I'm not even joking either.

Speaking of other manga, did you guys ever read Psyren? I kinda rediscovered it recently. I read it all the way through way back when, and was really disappointed it got cancelled because I remember it being really good.

I remember reading some years back. Solid read, probably would've been more if it wasn't cancelled.

I guess it was too early to capitalize on the "trapped on another world" boom.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Psyren was awesome, but it was lucky in that it got cancelled at a point where it could be ended mostly according to the mangaka's original plans. It was never the sort of series meant to go on forever, even if it hadn't been cancelled it probably would have lasted another year at the very most.

I remember reading some years back. Solid read, probably would've been more if it wasn't cancelled.

I guess it was too early to capitalize on the "trapped on another world" boom.

The plot had a very strict time limit on it, I doubt it could have lasted much longer.

I wish it had gotten an anime adaptation though.

Are we not allowed to talk about this in a thread where we obviously all do it since we talk about the new chapters every week? I'm confused lol

We're not allowed to mention where we get the chapters from. It's one of those "you can break the rules, just don't talk about it when you do" type things.

Not that I do things like that of course. I use the JUMP app and only the JUMP app and so should you.

Cizard

We're not allowed to mention where we get the chapters from. It's one of those "you can break the rules, just don't talk about it when you do" type things.

Not that I do things like that of course. I use the JUMP app and only the JUMP app and so should you.

Can you actually get back issues of One Piece in the JUMP app though? I just finished catching up on the volume release of One Piece via Kindle and no idea how to get caught up to the current chapter without scans (Which I don't want anyway cause they're usually pretty bad).

Anyone got any idea what's the best way to cross the gap between vol. 82 and the current chapter?

Veelk

Banned
Psyren was awesome, but it was lucky in that it got cancelled at a point where it could be ended mostly according to the mangaka's original plans. It was never the sort of series meant to go on forever, even if it hadn't been cancelled it probably would have lasted another year at the very most.

The plot had a very strict time limit on it, I doubt it could have lasted much longer.

I wish it had gotten an anime adaptation though.

I personally remember the final confrontation being rather rushed. Like, the villain had some world ending plan, but it just sped really fast in a single volume to the final battle, giving the protagonist this power up, and it left a lot of side characters hanging in the wind.

But it's been a really long time. Probably due for a reread after I do Naruto.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I personally remember the final confrontation being rather rushed. Like, the villain had some world ending plan, but it just sped really fast in a single volume to the final battle, giving the protagonist this power up, and it left a lot of side characters hanging in the wind.

But it's been a really long time. Probably due for a reread after I do Naruto.

That's how I remember it. The final bits in the present time got rushed through so the mangaka could get to the ending he wanted. That's what I mean when I say it ended mostly according to his plans. Outside of rushing through the final battle you'd never know it got cancelled.

Veelk

Banned
It's kind of funny how I and Super eyepatch Wolf have nearly opposite to reactions to often the same things.

I think I once described the One Piece world as feeling like it's an renaissance fair or something. Meaning it's designed to evoke the feel and imagery of a cartoon, unrealistic version of a reality of something. To me, this makes the world feel very fake, but SEW's first argument is about how real the place feels because Oda feels like he has a floor plan and history of a given environment worked out.

Please note that I'm not refuting SEW's argument. He's right, that's the kind of world building that lends credulity to fiction, and it's often missing from other manga. But for me, the admittedly impressive detail of those places often just highlights stuff that indicates it's fakeness.

A lot of the video was like that for me. I agree with most of his arguments being sound, yet I often come away with something entirely different. I'm not gonna write out each thing, I've been through the various debates enough, but...yeah, that's mostly my reaction. Agree with the argument you make, but most of it is ultimately not what I came away with.

Top Bottom