• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony ceases PSP shipments in Japan

Ridley327

Why doesn't the PSP ever get the props it deserves? 70 million sold is insane.

Was it not a good investment for Sony or something?

A lot of it is because of how poorly software sold on it, thanks to how quickly piracy spread throughout the ecosystem and the lack of advertising Sony gave the system in the west. The hardware sales are certainly a hell of an achievement, but once CFW became widespread, that was the last victory it could claim. It would have been a really different situation if Sony ever found a way to stay on top of it.

B.O.O.M

This was the last psp model I had

images

a beauty

Takao

Banned
Amazing that they still have/are producing 3G units of the Vita.

I think that's just unsold stock. The 3G models have always been the less popular Vita SKU. Since we're on the subject, can I say how shit that bundle is? Everything is a free download on PSN, haha.

Wow, it actually turns out the PSP had around 300 million in software sales in 2011. I actually thought it was much lower than that...

I mean, it's higher than the attach ratio for the 3DS.

It's going to be funny how the 3DS changes the narrative of the PSP in the future.

I still love my imported black-and-gold Monster Hunter model. It was a 3000 model that was rubbery-matte textured with a curved-in analog nub and both sides of the back enlarged to accommodate the extended battery and allow symmetrical grip.

Hmm~

Ventara

I have more games for my PSP than any other system. I love it so much. Sad that western support was almost nil and the piracy, but I still had tons of fun playing all the Japanese localized games.

It might be because it was my first console that I alone owned and bought games heavily for, but I have so many fond memories with it. From working hard to get good grades to get my parents to buy it to seeing and holding it for the first time in all its glory. It introduced me to so many genres and amazing series/games. I'll never forget you, and I'll always have you and your charger easy accessible to take a trip down memory lane. Which reminds me a need to buy a few more PSPs as backups. I probably missed the boat on the firesale, though.

Man, the when I first saw the PSP in stores, I wanted it immediately. It just felt so premium and weighty and it had awesome games like Twisted Metal, Burnout, and ATV Offroad Fury. I got battlefront 2 with it and I played matches over and over again. The PSP was far far ahead of its time.

meanspartan

Still remember how hyped i was for this machine at launch. Twisted Metal! Coded Arms! (Before i knew it sucked) Untold Legends!

Just in general, i miss the early to mid 2000s. Was in high school so other than schoolwork and friends, no real responsibility and gaming got a ton of my time.

And what a time it was, what with the greatest console of all time in its prime.

Back to psp though, i remember for like a year game releases lagged but UMD movies were bafflingly a big deal at retailers. Frys STILL has leftover stacks of spiderman 2 and stealth.

Cynn

I purchased my PSP on Japanese launch from a guy who's band was touring Japan at the time. We met in a mall and I paid a nice hunk over retail.

First boot was in the car shortly after and Ridge Racer blew my mind.

Tohsaka

How can be 60 million units in the west a bad thing?

It has a lot of unlocalized games due to publishers not wanting to localize them because of the rampant piracy. PSP still gets new games released fairly often in Japan and that hasn't been the case in the west for a long time. There's the odd release every six months or so, but the PSP has been largely dead in terms of software outside of Japan for quite a while.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
RIP

PSP was a great system with a huge and strong library from all genres a very strong support early on and many JRPG later, it's UMD and awkward controls were a bad thing but the system got more good things than bad thing and it was very Playstation like system unlike its failed successor. Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure remind the best game for it.

I wish SCEA and SCEE could give that same level of shit for the Vita that they gave the PSP. So many great games for the PSP came from the West. They literally don't even exist anymore for the Vita, the only support for the system internally is coming from Japan and its pretty sporadic there.

Nintendo doesn't really get any 3DS games that are developed outside of Japan, either. For the vast majority of the western world, if you want to develop on a handheld, you're doing it for a mobile device, and both the Vita and the 3DS are afterthoughts.

Grayman

For a year or so the PSP was my favourite gaming system. It clearly "died and cameback" one or more times in the west and I fell off the wagon in one of those droughts. Also having to choose between working custom firmware to make the device more useful and official games killed my purchases during a few time frames.

RIP my good friend.

At 80 million sales worldwide, isnt PSP insane miracle? Considering that the best non-Nintendo handheld sales-wise was Sega Game Gear with 10-12 million sales. Coincidently, PSP is only behind DS, GB, and GBA, making it the 4th best selling handheld of all time. If we were to compare this to consoles, the 4th best selling console would be PS3(or the 360). That is quite an amazing feat.

...What makes things interesting, is that if Vita would outsell the Game Gear, it would become the 6th best selling handheld of all time.

Amazing how PSP was able to enter handheld market when it is under Nintendo's dominance. ._.

Top Bottom