• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

RRockman
(09-21-2017, 02:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Basileus777

Never believe reviewer time counts. 55 hours sounds absurd for a Danganronpa game.

But this one has a frigging board game and DRPG built in with the cast of all 3 games! I can see myself sinking hours in just with those extra modes alone. Did that particular reviewer stick to the story content only?
Cisce
(09-21-2017, 02:18 AM)

Originally Posted by RRockman

But this one has a frigging board game and DRPG built in with the cast of all 3 games! I can see myself sinking hours in just with those extra modes alone. Did that particular reviewer stick to the story content only?

It was implied to be the main story, and that a particular chapter took them 9 hours.

If anyone in here has played the game, it would be great to confirm the game length as that sounds crazy. To be fair: if the game's pacing works with the length of it, I don't mind.
Jeffrey
(09-21-2017, 02:24 AM)
Beat the 2 games and the vita spinoff. Do I need to watch the recent animes before this? Heard they weren't great.
RecRoulette
(09-21-2017, 02:26 AM)

Originally Posted by Cisce

It was implied to be the main story, and that a particular chapter took them 9 hours.

If anyone in here has played the game, it would be great to confirm the game length as that sounds crazy. To be fair: if the game's pacing works with the length of it, I don't mind.

Jesus, that sounds insane.
GSR
(09-21-2017, 02:28 AM)
I don't recall my exact playtime but DRV3 is pretty darn long. There's definitely some periods where they could have trimmed the fat.
RRockman
(09-21-2017, 02:28 AM)

Originally Posted by RecRoulette

Jesus, that sounds insane.

Yow, that does sound long. I don't remember hearing any complaints about how long it was, though it's been a while since I've read impressions of people who knew japanese.
Cisce
(09-21-2017, 02:31 AM)

Originally Posted by GSR

I don't recall my exact playtime but DRV3 is pretty darn long. There's definitely some periods where they could have trimmed the fat.

Would you recommend it to someone who enjoyed DR2 but considered it long?

because I was kinda hoping that this game would cap out at 35 hours max.
DNAbro
(09-21-2017, 03:30 AM)

Would you recommend it to someone who enjoyed DR2 but considered it long?

because I was kinda hoping that this game would cap out at 35 hours max.

DR2 was like 20 hours from what I remember though. Unless you saying you are okay with a game that is supposedly at least twice as long.
Cisce
(09-21-2017, 03:32 AM)

Originally Posted by DNAbro

DR2 was like 20 hours from what I remember though. Unless you saying you are okay with a game that is supposedly at least twice as long.

afaik it was around 30-40 hours long. HLTB backs me up with this.

I remembered being surprised, as I expected it to be 15-20 hours like the first game.
aadiboy
(09-21-2017, 03:34 AM)
It has about the same Metacritic score as the first two, how is that divisive?
Star Orpheus
(09-21-2017, 03:37 AM)

Originally Posted by aadiboy

A lot of people are going to have very strong opinions about this game. Some people say it's the best game in the series. Others like me don't even want to touch it.

Score could go ether way but this WILL divide the fanbase.
DNAbro
(09-21-2017, 03:40 AM)

afaik it was around 30-40 hours long. HLTB backs me up with this.

I remembered being surprised, as I expected it to be 15-20 hours like the first game.

fucking hell really? I remember beating it in 2 days with 10-12 hrs each. I may be in that "rushed" category though.

It's the difference between "This game is an 8 out of 10" and "this game is either a 6 out of 10 or a 10 out of 10"
aspaceman55
(09-21-2017, 03:43 AM)

Originally Posted by DNI_R

So people hate ZTD that much? I thought it was a fun ride. But i don't value the whole Zero Escape franchise that much either. 999 for me was the least enjoyable with its inconsistent writing, and VLR while having a very good story and cool ending was absolutely tedious and took too long to get to the good bits. ZTD for me stands above 999, it was fun, thrilling and even with its issues and confusing ending it was pretty exciting. The plot was simple, but in my opinion much more effective in doing what it wanted to do and less of a mess than in the first two games.
=

I don't hate it, but ZTD had a very very poor ending in my opinion. It left me saying "...What was even the point of that?" at the end. For both narrative and character reasons. While it had some amazing moments, I always felt that it let those moments fall flat on their face. "WHOA SOMETHING AMAZING JUST HAPPENED...Let's not discuss the implications or importance of this and instead solve this puzzle" It was really frustrating that you never got to actually experience the revelations with the characters except in one instance I can think of. Plus the animation is probably the most awkward I've ever seen in a video game, making it feel stilted, too slow, and too rushed all at the same time.

The reason I reacted so negatively to ZTD is because it had so much potential coming off the high that was VLR, and it really squandered a lot of what made that game fun in the first place.
Last edited by aspaceman55; 09-21-2017 at 03:51 AM.
mankoto
(09-21-2017, 03:44 AM)

The OT will be something to watch. That's all I can say.
brickarts295
(09-21-2017, 04:57 AM)
My nearest Mom and Pop shop has the game available tomorrow...
the reviews have me doubting my hype hope for this game. And I already consumed everything Danganronpa related in the last couple of week.
Last edited by brickarts295; 09-21-2017 at 05:00 AM.
GoldStarz
(09-21-2017, 05:11 PM)

Originally Posted by DNAbro

It's the difference between "This game is an 8 out of 10" and "this game is either a 6 out of 10 or a 10 out of 10"

Another thing to consider is that DR is now an established franchise in the west, the first two mainline games were released not even a year apart here and DRAE, which did release afterward to tepid response, was a spin-off and had it's genre pretty much completely misdiagnosed (not a spoiler). This is the first mainline DR title since it's gotten an established fanbase, so people are probably more likely to look in favor of it than against it.
Flandy
(09-21-2017, 07:03 PM)

Is it true that this game is 55 hours long?

If so, does it overstay it's welcome? I felt that 2 was really dragging itself along towards the end.

I got you
https://twitter.com/seamoosi/status/910926743376203782
Zeroro
(09-21-2017, 07:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Flandy

I got you

Geez, that's a huge difference from what the RPG Site review claims.
Cisce
(09-21-2017, 07:59 PM)

I got you

Thank you for asking!

Very happy with that, I don't have a ton of time this semester and I was worried that I was never going to see the end of DRV3.
Geg
(09-21-2017, 08:02 PM)
You would have to skip through a LOT of dialog to make DR2 last 20 hours lol.

If I remember right from my steam hours DR2 took me around 45~50 hours to complete.
Asharakk
(09-21-2017, 08:04 PM)
Apologies if this has been asked before but did the Japanese version ever get the higher quality voice work as DLC for Vita?
Do we have any confirmation that the same will be available in EU or US?

Edt: Tried the demo on Vita and it made me reluctant in buying that version, the voices were very unclear.
Sinh_Magnus
(09-21-2017, 08:09 PM)
I never knew the first danganronpa had an 80 on metacritic and the second one had an 81. For some reason I always had in mind that they were higher, the second one specially.

In any case, Danganronpa V3 having an 82 doesn't tell me much right now. However, the fact that reviews are alternating between 6/10 and 10/10 does. It really feels is going to be a love it or hate it game and that makes it much more interesting for me. Wonder in which side I will end.
Thud
(09-21-2017, 08:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Sinh_Magnus

I never knew the first danganronpa had an 80 on metacritic and the second one had an 81. For some reason I always had in mind that they were higher, the second one specially.

In any case, Danganronpa V3 having an 82 doesn't tell me much right now. However, the fact that reviews are alternating between 6/10 and 10/10 does. It really feels is going to be a love it or hate it game and that makes it much more interesting for me. Wonder in which side I will end.

Probably despair. ;)
Cisce
(09-21-2017, 08:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Asharakk

Apologies if this has been asked before but did the Japanese version ever get the higher quality voice work as DLC for Vita?
Do we have any confirmation that the same will be available in EU or US?

Edt: Tried the demo on Vita and it made me reluctant in buying that version, the voices were very unclear.

NIS America confirmed on Twitter that the DLC for high quality voices on Vita would be available at release.
UberTag
Banned
(09-21-2017, 08:25 PM)
I actually think a divisive game that people either adore or despise is the perfect embodiment of Danganronpa's hope vs. despair dynamic.

I'm not sure I'd want it any other way.
Asharakk
(09-21-2017, 08:26 PM)

NIS America confirmed on Twitter that the DLC for high quality voices on Vita would be available at release.

Thank you! And bought!
Weebos
(09-21-2017, 08:27 PM)

Originally Posted by RRockman

Shit I clicked this. I assume that spoiler is an extra mode like the ones in DR1 and DR2?
Levito
(09-21-2017, 08:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Zeroro

Rely On Horor claimed 60 hours, and God Is A Geek claimed 50 hours.

So yeah, it wasn't just me. It's a really long game, much longer than DR1, touch longer than DR2.
Zeroro
(09-21-2017, 08:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Levito

Rely On Horor claimed 60 hours, and God Is A Geek claimed 50 hours.

So yeah, it wasn't just me. It's a really long game, much longer than DR1, touch longer than DR2.

Yeah, I've definitely seen more people claim it's in the realm of 40 - 50 hours than something like 30, so I was pretty confused by that.
Flandy
(09-21-2017, 09:10 PM)

Yeah, I've definitely seen more people claim it's in the realm of 40 - 50 hours than something like 30, so I was pretty confused by that.

Do they state what their playtimes for 1 and 2 were? It's hard to gauge the length if they only say how long 3 was
RRockman
(09-21-2017, 09:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Weebos

Shit I clicked this. I assume that spoiler is an extra mode like the ones in DR1 and DR2?

Sorry! but yes, it's extra. It's actually a major part of why I wanted get the english version despite the fact I know what happens plotwise, because of the interactions they have. And how it feels way more fun to actually play than that crappy clean up school mode in the original 2 games.

Also since it's extra, none of it is canon.
Acquiescence
Banned
(09-21-2017, 09:45 PM)
So it's a really polarizing game by all accounts? Hmm, it'll be interesting to see which side of the fence I fall on when it comes to playing the game myself. On the plus side, some of my favourite games have split opinion right down the middle. Heavy Rain, Jak II and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories just to name a few. Hopefully I'll like the game just as much as the other two.
NoctisVsStar
(09-21-2017, 09:49 PM)
The mgs2 of the franchise.
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.
(09-21-2017, 10:04 PM)

half the game is the size of danganronpa 1. the other half is all the bonus section stuff.
GoldStarz
(09-21-2017, 10:27 PM)

Originally Posted by UberTag

I actually think a divisive game that people either adore or despise is the perfect embodiment of Danganronpa's hope vs. despair dynamic.

I'm not sure I'd want it any other way.

I mean the game's main themes are truth vs. lies, though.
flyover
(09-22-2017, 12:12 AM)
My wife found and bought this for me the other day. I don't know why it exists, but I'm glad it does.

Crazy Diamond
(09-22-2017, 12:18 AM)

Originally Posted by flyover

My wife found and bought this for me the other day. I don't know why it exists, but I'm glad it does.

omg that's my team aaaaaaaa GIVE ME
Zeroro
(09-22-2017, 12:21 AM)

For that lucrative demographic of people who love Danganronpa and the Memphis Grizzlies!

It's actually really cute, though...
flyover
(09-22-2017, 12:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond

omg that's my team aaaaaaaa GIVE ME

My wife said the store had a second one. If you really do want it, PM me, and we'll check to see if it's still there this weekend. I searched for it on Google briefly, and I can't find any other evidence of this thing's existence! (If you're in the Chicago area by chance, I can tell you where it was.)

For that lucrative demographic of people who love Danganronpa and the Memphis Grizzlies!

No kidding. Talk a bout a niche audience. But those of us who'd want it may really want it.
Guru-Guru
(09-22-2017, 12:42 AM)

Do they state what their playtimes for 1 and 2 were? It's hard to gauge the length if they only say how long 3 was

I played the Japanese release of all 3 games. I'm pretty much fluent in Japanese, so I wasn't slowed down by reading or anything. 1 took me 25 hours, 2 took me 35 hours, and 3 took me around 45-50 hours.
Lord of Ostia
(09-22-2017, 12:43 AM)

Yo, I'm from Memphis and I love Danganronpa. That's dope
IamAwake
(09-22-2017, 12:45 AM)
For myself, it was around 30+ hours to play through the game. With some of the end game content, I could easily see longer play times.
brickarts295
(09-22-2017, 01:12 AM)
Got the game. Backcover is pretty great kinda surprised that it's not the actual box art.
Last edited by brickarts295; 09-22-2017 at 01:14 AM.
Fat4all
(09-22-2017, 01:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Beat the 2 games and the vita spinoff. Do I need to watch the recent animes before this? Heard they weren't great.

I made a thread asking the same thing and it convinced me to stay away from the anime adaptations in general. Not that all of them are bad, but that none of them really elevate the material and kinda sours the end of DR2.
DNAbro
(09-22-2017, 01:59 AM)

Originally Posted by brickarts295

Got the game. Backcover is pretty great kinda surprised that it's not the actual box art.

luckyyyyy

Been listening to the OST again for hype and the Scrum debate music is so good.
Brock Reiher
(09-22-2017, 02:00 AM)
Is Gonta more of an obvious Jojo reference in Japan?
pots555
(09-22-2017, 02:10 AM)
So, I bought 1-2 Reload on the PS4. What can I say? It's truly awesome! I just love everything so far, having just finished the first class trial. The music is truly great, as is the voice-acting. I will definitely buy the third one as soon as I'm done with the first two.
I was wondering if Ultra Despair Girls was worth it? Thanks!
sungahymn
(09-22-2017, 02:17 AM)

Originally Posted by pots555

So, I bought 1-2 Reload on the PS4. What can I say? It's truly awesome! I just love everything so far, having just finished the first class trial. The music is truly great, as is the voice-acting. I will definitely buy the third one as soon as I'm done with the first two.

As far as I saw, UDG is pretty mediocre compared to 1 and 2. The gameplay in particular just seems boring.

If you're still curious about the story, then I think you're better off watching it on Youtube or reading up on it.
semiconscious
(09-22-2017, 02:19 AM)

at full price, absolutely, positively not! if you could get it super cheap, might be interesting. then again, might not be :) ...
brickarts295
(09-22-2017, 02:23 AM)

I would get it for cheap or rent it, otherwise you can just watch a YT movie version and you won't miss much. The game is alright with some interesting antagonists and side characters. This is the point where the franchise begins to cover the plot holes set out by the previous games. Whether its a good thing or bad thing, that depends on you and how much like the characters and world of Danganronpa.
Last edited by brickarts295; 09-22-2017 at 02:29 AM.