• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ShirAhava
(07-29-2016, 11:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Dwayne

Memory card in the PSTV? Doesn't work on internal memory.

Yeah I've got a 4gb memory card....no dice....tired as hell tho I'll try again in the morning
Kresnik258
Well then, two questions:

1. If I buy a new Vita for this, will I be able to get it to FW 3.60?

2. What level of emulators could this be expected to run?
Enter the Dragon Punch
Banned
lmfao the FTP is so SLOWWWW
DracoBlade
(07-29-2016, 11:19 AM)

Originally Posted by c0de

You can turn your Vita to an OG Xbox? Amazing....

Good news, I might buy a Vita in the end.

Hhahah same. Until I can play PC Engine discs on my Vita, even the PSP never toppled the OG Xbox scene. Still so good.

Super excited to perhaps get some old arcade games yet unported running on this!
-shadow-
Great news! But how long until Sony works this out? They don't support the system anymore, bit for some reason are there like crazy like when the VitaTV whitelist was killed...
Blastoise
Banned
whats username/pass did you use for the ftp?
Enter the Dragon Punch
Banned

Originally Posted by Kresnik258

Well then, two questions:

1. If I buy a new Vita for this, will I be able to get it to FW 3.60?

2. What level of emulators could this be expected to run?

1. yes

2. n64 levels, the vita hardware is basically a lower end android phone

Originally Posted by Blastoise

enter whatever. just make sure you're in a folder before opening the FTP server
Skyzard
Banned
(07-29-2016, 11:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Blastoise

I didn't use any...
FantasticMrSnake
(07-29-2016, 11:21 AM)
I'm getting the report screen: "an error has occurred.."
C2-12828-1

It's a fat ps vita.
Anyone else having thins? didn't find anything in here https://henkaku.xyz/usage/

The web browser crashes and an error report dialog appears AFTER “Welcome to HENkaku” pops up

Press “OK” and try again. If this happens more than three times in a row, you should reboot the system and try again.

Freewheelin'
(07-29-2016, 11:22 AM)
Anyone from the UK installed this? I don't understand why it says 23 hours for me, when it seems to be up in the rest of the world :(
Seraph_Nicholas
(07-29-2016, 11:23 AM)

Originally Posted by FantasticMrSnake

C2-12828-1

It's a fat ps vita.
Anyone else having thins? didn't find anything in here https://henkaku.xyz/usage/

It took me about 20 tries and three reboots to overcome this, but it just worked. I was about to try a database rebuild.
Enter the Dragon Punch
Banned
how do i install .velf files? retroarch is only in .velf

C2-12828-1

It's a fat ps vita.

power your vita down by holding the power button down until it shuts off. that works for me
SinCityAssassin
God it's been a while since I've done anything like this since Wii. Do I just connect it to the FTP and just dump the roms and emulators in or do I need to put them in specific folders.
Bittercup
(07-29-2016, 11:25 AM)

C2-12828-1

It's a fat ps vita.

I had the same error. After you click install it changes the url go.henkaku. Letting the site load again always resulted in the same error for me.
Going back to https://henkaku.xyz and clicking install instead worked. Maybe takes a few tries.
//DEVIL//
(07-29-2016, 11:25 AM)
I need an advise from gaffers. My vita tv has an old firmware with the email hack that lets me play all ps vita games on tv. Is it worth the upgrade to 3.60 ?

Also. Is it possible go download the 3.60 and update it manually to a vita later in case song blocked this with a future firmware ?
Blastoise
Banned
(07-29-2016, 11:26 AM)
Guys in what folder do I drop the GBA Emulator?
joanot
(07-29-2016, 11:27 AM)
Are you guys creating a dummy psn account to install this ? Im really excited about the homebrew possibilities of the hack but I have a ton of purchased content.
Hamster Plugin
(07-29-2016, 11:28 AM)
I'm guessing I am going to need a 64GB memory card and fast, and load it with all the games I want. Or is there a way to get into the download list with an outdated firmware?

I also hope their piracy prevention is effective, I'm worried about the future of the Vita, the indies may also stop making games for it if piracy grows too much :(
Enter the Dragon Punch
Banned
(07-29-2016, 11:28 AM)

Originally Posted by joanot

Are you guys creating a dummy psn account to install this ? Im really excited about the homebrew possibilities of the hack but I have a ton of purchased content.

No. Sony didn't ban anyone for PSP exploits.
YianGaruga
Banned
(07-29-2016, 11:29 AM)

Originally Posted by oti xero

What are the average sales on this nowadays anyway. Not that piracy isn't awful but how much is there to lose for publishers? For Indies it will suck of course.

Why only for indies? It would suck for everyone. A loss is a loss

Sales have to be decent enough considering the amount of games still being released. Piracy would suck ESPECIALLY for games that don't sell big amounts in the first place.
Manoko
(07-29-2016, 11:29 AM)

You must do this every time you reboot the console–that is, every time you turn the console off and on again.

Really ? =/
FataIChoice
(07-29-2016, 11:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Hamster Plugin

I'm guessing I am going to need a 64GB memory card and fast, and load it with all the games I want. Or is there a way to get into the download list with an outdated firmware?

You can usually bypass and still get access to PSN on one firmware below the latest.

Otherwise you can download and transfer most Vita content through a PS3.

Those are, to my knowledge, the only options for a Vita not on the latest firmware.
GhostTrick
(07-29-2016, 11:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Guymelef

Return of the king of hombrew.

If your Vita is updated you are on 3.60, the needed firmware.

Not happening with Vita's slow CPU.
Palette Swap
(07-29-2016, 11:32 AM)
I'm going to try this on my PSTV for now as I don't want to lose PSN access on my Vita.

Originally Posted by GhostTrick

Not happening with Vita's slow CPU.

Considering the best handheld console for emulation right now is n3DS, this should be a step up.
InfiniteNine
Rolling Girl
(07-29-2016, 11:33 AM)

C2-12828-1

It's a fat ps vita.

I ejected my game cart and it worked immediately after that.
Pancakes R Us
(07-29-2016, 11:34 AM)

Originally Posted by dglavimans

Hi gaf, make sure you disable automatic downloading of update files under settings > system > settings for automatic start :)

Quoting for helpful advice!
Wanace
(07-29-2016, 11:34 AM)
mGBA is .velf, which doesn't install, so it isn't working. Not sure if there is a .vpk file on the webpage? The Showcase links directly to that page, and I just chose the Vita Homebrew download.

I tried Vita Doom which installed but I have no Doom WADs so I couldn't play.

I'm outta time now but I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what I'm missing.
Harmondale
(07-29-2016, 11:36 AM)
Have never tried emulation Before, but from what I understand you could get games like

NES
SNES
N64
GB
GBC
GBA
DS

PSP
PSV?

If so, how complete libraries, is there any Place where you can see which potential games they could emulate? Might try this after a month or so

Still plenty of PSV games I want to purchase, If I do this I guess i cant purchase any new PSV games hmm
Palette Swap
(07-29-2016, 11:37 AM)
I'm going to sound like a guy with a fixation as I already mentioned it for NX, but you know what would be awesome? Having a Vita version of Moonlight to run Nvidia's PC gamestreaming, essentially having PC remote play on Vita.
kadotsu
Banned
It would be nice if they could provide a DNS to block firmware updates. Just like the WiiU hack team did.
thomasmahler
So right now only GenesisPlus is available as vpk, correct? Just tried it and it's neat, hopefully Retroarch and a lot of other emulators will soon be released as vpks :)
Chesskid1
Banned
yeah the GBA emulator isn't in the right format from the showcase link. you need .vpk format and it's in .velf, just tried.

just going to chill for now i suppose and watch the vita homebrew community grow.
BassForever
(07-29-2016, 11:42 AM)
Guess I'll try setting this up on my pstv later but I don't know how much use I'll get out of it since my internal memory card in the device is really tiny.
FataIChoice
(07-29-2016, 11:44 AM)

Originally Posted by BassForever

Guess I'll try setting this up on my pstv later but I don't know how much use I'll get out of it since my internal memory card in the device is really tiny.

It does not work with internal memory of the PSTV or Vita 2000. You must have a memory card.
joanot
(07-29-2016, 11:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Enter the Dragon Punch

No. Sony didn't ban anyone for PSP exploits.

Cool, time to transfer all my Vita games to PC in case that Sony fixes the exploit in future firmwares.
Lime
(07-29-2016, 11:45 AM)
Fuuuuck I'm not home now until in middle of August and my vita is on 3.55

I hope Sony doesn't release a new firmware in the meantime :/

Is it possible to only upgrade to a specific firmware though?
Enter the Dragon Punch
Banned
(07-29-2016, 11:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Lime

yes
Blastoise
Banned
(07-29-2016, 11:47 AM)
I'm getting about 850KB/s on the FTP.
dadjumper
(07-29-2016, 11:49 AM)
Oh man, time to charge my Vita
Lime
(07-29-2016, 11:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Enter the Dragon Punch

yes

Thank you lord!!!!
oti
Banned
(07-29-2016, 11:51 AM)

Originally Posted by YianGaruga

Why only for indies? It would suck for everyone. A loss is a loss

Sales have to be decent enough considering the amount of games still being released. Piracy would suck ESPECIALLY for games that don't sell big amounts in the first place.

I don't really play games on the Vita so when I say publishers I think more about Ubisoft etc. 😄

Of course it sucks for everyone.
Moonlight
Banned
(07-29-2016, 11:52 AM)
This is pretty rad. Very keen to see how the emulation scene takes to all this.
Chesskid1
Banned
(07-29-2016, 11:52 AM)
for blocking updates, it's just going into settings and unchecking download update for system software? that's it?
YianGaruga
Banned
(07-29-2016, 11:54 AM)

Originally Posted by oti xero

I don't really play games on the Vita so when I say publishers I think more about Ubisoft etc. 😄

Of course it sucks for everyone.

Yeah for EA and Ubi it won't matter, they don't make games for it anyway :p The smaller guys like NISA would be hurt by it though.
Bittercup
(07-29-2016, 11:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Palette Swap

I'm going to sound like a guy with a fixation as I already mentioned it for NX, but you know what would be awesome? Having a Vita version of Moonlight to run Nvidia's PC gamestreaming, essentially having PC remote play on Vita.

Oh, that's a great idea. I need this!
RalchAC
(07-29-2016, 11:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Lime

You can download from PlayStation webpage 3.60 firmware and install the package offline at a later date. As long as you can download the firmware in a computer or something like that you shouldn't have any problem.
FantasticMrSnake
(07-29-2016, 11:56 AM)
Well, still doesn't work for me, try everyone of your suggestions, I think I'll wait for a v1.0.1 or something like that.

Thanks anyway guys.
Mendrox
(07-29-2016, 12:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Manoko

Really ? =/

Who turns their Vita off?
2+2=5
The Amiga Brotherhood
(07-29-2016, 12:08 PM)
Do you think we'll see mame and fs/win uae running on vita? How much do you think we have to wait?
wrowa
(07-29-2016, 12:09 PM)
Is this easily uninstallable? It can't hurt to try this while 3.6 is still the most recent firmware, but since my Vita library is 90% digital being able to use some emulators wouldn't make up for not being able to access the PS Store once an update hits.

Edit: Oh, this is not a permanent hack :3