• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Neo-Saiyan
Member
(07-29-2017, 12:26 AM)
Neo-Saiyan's Avatar

Originally Posted by test_account

Fuck Paypal (or whatever caused it), damnit! I added Ocean Horn to my cart, and when i tried to check out with Paypal, it said that i had been inactive for too long time. I logged in like 5 minutes before that. Then i check my Paypal.com tab, nothing wrong there, i could navigate the site fine. Tried to order again, same error. Then i tried to log out of Paypal, placed the order again and i still get the same error! Da fuck is that?

I had to open another browser instead, but then of course, it was already sold out.

The exact same thing happened to me, had to remove the cookie from the web page to fix the problem and by the time I went to pay for Ocean Horn, it was already sold out!!!!
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(07-29-2017, 12:28 AM)
dallow_bg's Avatar

Originally Posted by test_account

Fuck Paypal (or whatever caused it), damnit! I added Ocean Horn to my cart, and when i tried to check out with Paypal, it said that i had been inactive for too long time. I logged in like 5 minutes before that. Then i check my Paypal.com tab, nothing wrong there, i could navigate the site fine. Tried to order again, same error. Then i tried to log out of Paypal, placed the order again and i still get the same error! Da fuck is that?

I had to open another browser instead, but then of course, it was already sold out.

Yup, that the was the error I had referred to.

Originally Posted by ExitPlanetDust

I'm interested in hearing more about this. Do you just make sure you have a valid CC on file and run the transaction via signing in like PayPal?

I just chose normal Checkout and when I got to Billing Info I chose Amazon.
It then essentially has you log into your Amazon account which has your payment and address info of course and check out with that.

I would do a test with a cheap add on, just don't finalize the order.
richard4481
Junior Member
(07-29-2017, 12:30 AM)
richard4481's Avatar

Originally Posted by Clive

It honestly feels like this was a release where demand was just greatly underestimated. Sucks when it happens. I have to admit feeling guilty about buying for both platforms now.



Yeah, but look at the sales. In spite of small prints I believe that Ghost Blade HD and Cursed Castilla EX are the only ones sold out and some have been up for months.

As a consumer I don't care about how much they sell. I just want the item.

So far the Play-Asia releases have been ease free, more with them (usually collectors type releases) and cheaper (from a consumers i.e. us, point of view). No mad dash when the clock strikes midnight, it's just a better system for this kind of thing, and I'm shocked they don't get more love for it.
ExitPlanetDust
Member
(07-29-2017, 12:31 AM)

Originally Posted by dallow_bg

I just chose normal Checkout and when I got to Billing Info I chose Amazon.
It then essentially has you log into your Amazon account which has your payment and address info of course and check out with that.

I would do a test with a cheap add on, just don't finalize the order.

Thanks for the reply. This is a game changer for me then.
blazeuk
Member
(07-29-2017, 12:34 AM)
blazeuk's Avatar
As someone who missed Söldner-X 2 after the website crapped out I feel for those who now don't have a full collection because of how quickly Oceanhorn sold out, Söldner is still the only Vita LRG release I'm missing and it's still annoying.
Dr. Black Jack
Member
(07-29-2017, 12:41 AM)
Dr. Black Jack's Avatar
Always log into PayPal like 20ish minutes before the drops, that way you won't waste time logging in or changing settings. Hasn't failed me yet except Soldner X2 but that was bots.
Occam
Member
(07-29-2017, 12:42 AM)
Occam's Avatar

Originally Posted by test_account

Fuck Paypal (or whatever caused it), damnit! I added Ocean Horn to my cart, and when i tried to check out with Paypal, it said that i had been inactive for too long time. I logged in like 5 minutes before that. Then i check my Paypal.com tab, nothing wrong there, i could navigate the site fine. Tried to order again, same error. Then i tried to log out of Paypal, placed the order again and i still get the same error! Da fuck is that?

I had to open another browser instead, but then of course, it was already sold out.

The same happened to me. My streak is over.

Damn Limited Run Games for not offering a subscription.
Occam
Member
(07-29-2017, 12:44 AM)
Occam's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr. Black Jack

Always log into PayPal like 20ish minutes before the drops, that way you won't waste time logging in or changing settings. Hasn't failed me yet except Soldner X2 but that was bots.

It failed me just now. Logged in 3 minutes early, got a time out error. Tried again several times, same result. Until the games were sold out.
Hubbl3
Member
(07-29-2017, 12:51 AM)

Originally Posted by blazeuk

As someone who missed Söldner-X 2 after the website crapped out I feel for those who now don't have a full collection because of how quickly Oceanhorn sold out, Söldner is still the only Vita LRG release I'm missing and it's still annoying.

I missed Soldner-X2 as well and at the time, I was PISSED, but in retrospect I'm kind of glad I ended up missing a release relatively early on. I had been going for a full set up until that point, but since then I've only grabbed the games that I absolutely wanted without feeling the need to buy everything to keep the streak going and it's been a much more pleasant time for me, haha.
Semoreh
Member
(07-29-2017, 12:51 AM)
Semoreh's Avatar

Originally Posted by richard4481

As a consumer I don't care about how much they sell. I just want the item.

So far the Play-Asia releases have been ease free, more with them (usually collectors type releases) and cheaper (from a consumers i.e. us, point of view). No mad dash when the clock strikes midnight, it's just a better system for this kind of thing, and I'm shocked they don't get more love for it.

It just works better because they have less attention and rarely sell great games. It's still a limited release at heart. Look at how Cursed Castilla sold out.
Banjo-Kazooie
Member
(07-29-2017, 01:10 AM)
Banjo-Kazooie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Curler

Feels like yesterday that people complained about how the system is "done" because some games took over a weekend to sell, and was a continuing pace. We have gone around and now things are still selling out at a rapid rate.

A difficult balancing game.

I don't think anyone said the system was done. People said to not sign games that no one is really asking for

Originally Posted by Clive

Yeah, but look at the sales. In spite of small prints I believe that Ghost Blade HD and Cursed Castilla EX are the only ones sold out and some have been up for months.

So are you trying to get games that you want or are you just getting games because they are "limited"? Who cares if it sells out or doesn't if you really want it

Play Asia is much better for me because I can get games I want and not have them sell out by people buying them just because they are part of some "limited collection" and have no interest in actually playing or enjoying them.
Clive
Member
(07-29-2017, 03:03 AM)
Clive's Avatar

Originally Posted by Banjo-Kazooie

So are you trying to get games that you want or are you just getting games because they are "limited"? Who cares if it sells out or doesn't if you really want it

Play Asia is much better for me because I can get games I want and not have them sell out by people buying them just because they are part of some "limited collection" and have no interest in actually playing or enjoying them.

The point I wanted to get across was that Play-Asia/Fangamer sell less with months of availability or pre-orders than LRG does in a weekend (with "worse" games). Not that I wanted to say that this benefits consumers or that them selling out benefits my ego/collection. LRG's model most likely drives sales which benefits them and the developers but no, it does not benefit me directly. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I only buy games I think I will enjoy if you actually cared. ;)
i-Jest
Member
(07-29-2017, 03:12 AM)
i-Jest's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zippedpinhead

Ys is going to be a blood bath isn't it...


I mean seriously I blinked and it was gone.

Originally Posted by Reluctant-Hero

Yeah. I might have to skip the LE and go straight to standard Vita to secure a copy in the AM rush.

Despite people's misgivings and/or reservation about LRG's YS Origin release, I fully expect it to sell out in minutes. I'm getting the standard edition for both versions, or atleast I'll try. The good news is we have an option in Heavy Arms if things don't pan out I guess. Just imagine what Salt & Sanctuary Or Cosmic Star Heroine will be like.

Ugh, this will be fun.
leonemesis
Member
(07-29-2017, 03:16 AM)
leonemesis's Avatar
Wasn´t able to buy this morning because my CC failed authorization when paying via Paypal, which was weird because I´ve used paypal to pay something a couple hours earlier. Talked to my bank later and sorted it out.

Anyway, was feeling down because I missed it and it is very difficult for me to grab stuff on the second batch as I have class at the time. I´d have to use my phone and it is a rather crappy one.

Well, figured I´d give it a shot anyway and to my surprise I managed to grab both Oceanhorn and Plague Road for PS4 even though it sold out real quick. Oceanhorn looks really fun so didn´t want to miss it, specially after it sold out insanely fast this morning. Was on the fence about Plague Road due to those negative steam reviews, but decided to try it myself, worst case scenario I can sell it later.
Curler
Member
(07-29-2017, 03:17 AM)
August is gunna be a fun month for me... A release every week that I want. Darn, that 1 month break wasn't long enough, and now they all come out at once! :p

I hope the Paypal issue is fixed by then because wow that sucks...
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(07-29-2017, 03:36 AM)
dallow_bg's Avatar
Sticking to Amazon myself. It was fast and I don't have to do the 2 factor authorization.
Ventara
Member
(07-29-2017, 03:39 AM)
Ventara's Avatar
Can you still use the hold shipping service with Amazon checkout? Or will it default to your shipping address?
GodzillaDB
Member
(07-29-2017, 05:39 AM)
GodzillaDB's Avatar
I'd like to express my appreciation for Dallow allowing me to take the reins of this second discussion along with the kind words in regard to the opening post. Countdown has now been adjusted for the upcoming run with LawBreaker and Wonder Boy on August 4th. If LRG happens to make an image compilation of the two titles, I'll make an effort to add it for flair or substitute something else in its place. I originally used to feature animated GIFs in my posts in an effort to draw attention to the clocks amidst the discussion, but volunteering as the next OP provided an opportunity for this information to be placed front and center at a single location. Admittedly, it's just one of several options out there, but I do hope it provides some assistance to gamers out there. If anyone happens to have suggestions to improve the presentation, feel free to send me a PM when you have a moment.

Originally Posted by ExitPlanetDust

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to shoot for an LRG copy next week, but this makes a nice backup plan (if they have enough stock).

Moving forward, I'll likely begin acknowledging pre-existing and upcoming physical alternatives whenever applicable for games in the LRG collection that are available elsewhere. If Play-Asia happens to have copies of their English variant still in stock once the North American release rolls around, I'll provide a link to the product underneath the clocks so fellow collectors can weigh their preferences. It's all in the good fun getting hard copies of the digital library on our shelves while, respectfully, being less bias toward LRG so the opening post doesn't feel completely like an advertisement on my part.
Weevilone
Member
(07-29-2017, 05:52 AM)
Weevilone's Avatar
I had a really bizarre experience today, and it could be taken as a sign.

The sale was about to start and I logged in to LRG, added a box to my cart, clicked Paypal, etc.. got all setup to make sure it flowed. (yeah I remove the box)

Like 1 minute till and my month old iPad locked up. The home button would work and that's it. I ran down a couple floors, got on the PC and barely got the stuff I wanted. Came back to the iPad and it was working normally. Hmm..
canedaddy
Member
(07-29-2017, 05:59 AM)
canedaddy's Avatar
I just buy the ones I really want, and Oceanhorn (Vita) was high on that list. Glad that worked out.
Curler
Member
(07-29-2017, 07:21 AM)
*walks into local used game store* I see the local Sony employee unloaded all of their LRG hole punched games, again. (Along with most new PS4/Vita game in the past few months...)
Ray Gigant, Octodad, both Novas, Strafe, both Darius, One Way Heroics, both Bit Trip, Mitsurugi, Mutent Mudds, Aqua Kitty...
t26
Member
(07-29-2017, 07:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Curler

*walks into local used game store* I see the local Sony employee unloaded all of their LRG hole punched games, again. (Along with most new PS4/Vita game in the past few months...)
Ray Gigant, Octodad, both Novas, Strafe, both Darius, One Way Heroics, both Bit Trip, Mitsurugi, Mutent Mudds, Aqua Kitty...

Could you PM me the location of this magical store?
Curler
Member
(07-29-2017, 07:43 AM)

Originally Posted by t26

Could you PM me the location of this magical store?

It's nearby where Sony workers can go to :p

Edit: They are priced around where eBay has them, however.
Jimm
Member
(07-29-2017, 08:07 AM)
Jimm's Avatar
There's a PS4 copy of Oceanhorn on eBay already for $160 AUD...

This is the first LRG I've missed that i really wanted but no way I'm paying that.
I really do prefer how Play Asia have been doing things with their limited titles tbh. Even though I'd rather buy from LRG.
DaBargainHunta
Member
(07-29-2017, 08:45 AM)
DaBargainHunta's Avatar

Originally Posted by Occam

Damn Limited Run Games for not offering a subscription.

I would actually love something like this - even if it means I occasionally end up with titles I don't want. Is this actually feasible? I'm guessing not. :(
Semoreh
Member
(07-29-2017, 09:16 AM)
Semoreh's Avatar

Originally Posted by Banjo-Kazooie

Play Asia is much better for me because I can get games I want and not have them sell out by people buying them just because they are part of some "limited collection" and have no interest in actually playing or enjoying them.

Again, Play-Asia releases ARE limited. It's the same system, and you just "prefer" it because they are less successful so far :/
Cursed Castilla sold out just as fast as a big LRG release.
Wesley-Sigma
Member
(07-29-2017, 09:17 AM)
Wesley-Sigma's Avatar
ETA on ICEY?
GodzillaDB
Member
(07-29-2017, 11:06 AM)
GodzillaDB's Avatar

Originally Posted by DaBargainHunta

I would actually love something like this - even if it means I occasionally end up with titles I don't want. Is this actually feasible? I'm guessing not. :(

LRG openly contemplated a membership subscription last summer which would've conceptually allowed early access for a yearly flat fee with a few merchandise goodies on top of it. Their forum members voted 78% approval toward the idea, but a few bad apples got pretty heated over the possibility of subscription rates outweighing print sizes to the point where the entire discussion was killed in a single day. LRG flat out concluded, "Most fans are for it, but the ones who aren't, not all, but some are a little too aggressive about it. Not trying to end up swatted or get death threats over something petty. (Hasn't happened over this, but I could see something this small blowing up)." I believe they expressed interest in exploring alternatives to the system, but I think the loyalty rewards will be the closest we'll ever get within the confines of their company's fundamental principle.

Lack of a subscription program and/or pre-order opportunity will forever remain a critique toward their gimmick on my end. Because of the void, I haven't felt too bad about paying high scalping prices in the few instances that missed out on the two allotted batches. However, I merely wanted to bring up the aforementioned points for the sake of historically referencing the unlikelihood of any subscriptions given the continued runaway success with the present setup. Unless there have been talks behind closed doors at their offices, I think it's safe to state that any and all possibilities of an order membership are stone cold dead.

Originally Posted by Wesley-Sigma

ETA on ICEY?

Unless I've missed an announcement somewhere within the past year, I don't think Icey has been publicly confirmed as an upcoming release. Last time I heard anything about it, Douglas Bogart was trying to contact the developers back in April and Nick Des Barres created an unofficial concept piece for the box-art.
Semoreh
Member
(07-29-2017, 11:45 AM)
Semoreh's Avatar
Quick question by the way (already asked in the previous topic :x )
: if one wants the Night Trap's Loyalty Program exclusive cover, should he send the 8 Loyalty Tickets right now or wait ? Has someone sent some tickets already ?
test_account
XP-39C²
(07-29-2017, 11:53 AM)
test_account's Avatar

Originally Posted by Neo-Saiyan

The exact same thing happened to me, had to remove the cookie from the web page to fix the problem and by the time I went to pay for Ocean Horn, it was already sold out!!!!

Originally Posted by dallow_bg

Yup, that the was the error I had referred to.

Originally Posted by Occam

The same happened to me. My streak is over.

Damn Limited Run Games for not offering a subscription.

Sucks to hear that others had the same problem that i had :\ I'm not too bummed out right now, it was mostly frustrating right there and then.

At least i mananged to grab the other game, but i really wanted that Oceanhorn Vita. My PS4 LRG streak was broken with Darius Burst, but now my Vita LRG streak is also broken :\ I can of course always get it on Ebay, but i prefer to buy directly from LRG.
Kresnik258
Member
(07-29-2017, 12:44 PM)
Kresnik258's Avatar

Originally Posted by Saphirax

He already teased SoSC Revisited before. Could be a VN.

That's true actually. Could be any number of VN's (maybe some of Sekai's stuff)?
Occam
Member
(07-29-2017, 01:01 PM)
Occam's Avatar
Subscription please. And in the meantime, please change your system so a game can't sell out once you put it into the shopping basket. Add a timer if you must: No checkout within 15 minutes: game goes back into stock.

The current system is awful, and has always been. Please fix it.
Lazlo Woodbine
Member
(07-29-2017, 01:05 PM)
Lazlo Woodbine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Curler

Feels like yesterday that people complained about how the system is "done" because some games took over a weekend to sell, and was a continuing pace. We have gone around and now things are still selling out at a rapid rate.

A difficult balancing game.

The whole "it needs to sell out in five seconds to validate my purchase" attitude always pissed me off.

The only people who lose out from a pre-order system are the scalpers, in my eyes. I don't care for collecting personally and just prefer physical but I can't understand the rationale of (as someone aptly described) "strike of midnight" sales beyond catering to the secondary market.

EDIT: Someone has Oceanhorn PS4 on EbayUK for bid at £80 already...

LRG need to sort this out for the long term because it just alienates collectors and puts off people like me (who just prefer certain physical release) from even bothering.
Reluctant-Hero
Member
(07-29-2017, 01:07 PM)
Reluctant-Hero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Occam

Subscription please. And in the meantime, please change your system so a game can't sell out once you put it into the shopping basket. Add a timer if you must: No checkout within 15 minutes: game goes back into stock.

The current system is awful, and has always been. Please fix it.

Actually, the system used to allow for items in your cart to be "reserved" until you completed checkout. But that allowed the inventory fracker to show false available units.
Occam
Member
(07-29-2017, 01:09 PM)
Occam's Avatar

Originally Posted by Reluctant-Hero

Actually, the system used to allow for items in your cart to be "reserved" until you completed checkout. But that allowed the inventory fracker to show false available units.

Why did they change this?? The new system is terrible.

Originally Posted by Lazlo Woodbine

The whole "it needs to sell out in five seconds to validate my purchase" attitude always pissed me off.

The only people who lose out from a pre-order system are the scalpers, in my eyes. I don't care for collecting personally and just prefer physical but I can't understand the rationale of (as someone aptly described) "strike of midnight" sales beyond catering to the secondary market.


Yep. I don't care about scalpers. If Limited Run don't care about them either, they should start to offer a subscription. For the sake of the people who supported them from the beginning and who have purchased every single release.
Semoreh
Member
(07-29-2017, 02:31 PM)
Semoreh's Avatar

Originally Posted by Occam

Why did they change this?? The new system is terrible.

It's a change due to Shopify, not LRG

Yep. I don't care about scalpers. If Limited Run don't care about them either, they should start to offer a subscription. For the sake of the people who supported them from the beginning and who have purchased every single release.

Scalpers are part of their customer base and there's nothing wrong with that. Plus the number of scalpers is probably greatly overestimated : thousands of units are sold per game, and today there are barely 400 "Limited Run Games" items being sold on eBay (all SKUs included !). And as far as we know, a big chunk are coming from regular customers, regularly selling their games because they don't need then anymore / need the cash, etc etc...
But alas that's a little melody we'll keep hearing every time a game sells quickly.

Now I'd definitely subscribe if there were a sub system, but it'd come with so many different kinds of difficulties that I understand why they stepped back. I regret it, but I get it.
I personnally think the best method would be, once a game is ready to be manufactured, to run a preorder period. Skullgirls' mistake was to run the preorder before the game was ready. But it's their business and they run it how they see fit :)
Lazlo Woodbine
Member
(07-29-2017, 03:28 PM)
Lazlo Woodbine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Semoreh

Scalpers are part of their customer base and there's nothing wrong with that.

Strongly disagree. Clearly nothing you can do to stop it outright but I don't feel like it's a factor that's ever been properly addressed beyond the split sales period.

Plus the number of scalpers is probably greatly overestimated : thousands of units are sold per game, and today there are barely 400 "Limited Run Games" items being sold on eBay (all SKUs included !). And as far as we know, a big chunk are coming from regular customers, regularly selling their games because they don't need then anymore / need the cash, etc etc...
But alas that's a little melody we'll keep hearing every time a game sells quickly.

Overestimated or not, it's kind of insulting when people who supported them from the start are getting shafted by people who are already listing stuff - yet to be dispatched - at double the price. Kind of surprised at the level of apologism that goes on here.

personnally think the best method would be, once a game is ready to be manufactured, to run a preorder period. Skullgirls' mistake was to run the preorder before the game was ready. But it's their business and they run it how they see fit :)

That's pretty much all I'd ask for. A grace period so EVERYONE who wants a copy can grab one in pre-orders and then a set date for the impulse buyers. It's still limited that way but not in the ridiculous 30 second window kind of way.

EDIT: Should mention that I understand that there are business reasons involved as to why things might not be done that way (unit allocation etc) but it just seems a ludicrous state of affairs that could be solved by accessing base demand - via pre-orders - BEFORE production.
Gunstarheroes
Member
(07-29-2017, 03:37 PM)
Gunstarheroes's Avatar
I should go find all the posts from the first thread addressing pre-orders and subscriptions and such. LRG has explained in big detail the reason for not doing either. This topic comes up like clockwork after any fast sellout, and well it certainly isn't meant to stop the conversation, but at least we can bounce off those points.
Lazlo Woodbine
Member
(07-29-2017, 03:40 PM)
Lazlo Woodbine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gunstarheroes

I should go find all the posts from the first thread addressing pre-orders and subscriptions and such. LRG has explained in big detail the reason for not doing either. This topic comes up like clockwork after any fast sellout, and well it certainly isn't meant to stop the conversation, but at least we can bounce off those points.

EDIT: That kind of information should definitely be in the OP. Considering the amount of easily overlooked posts Doug has made across various forums it'd probably be a good idea to develop a basic FAQ.
Gunstarheroes
Member
(07-29-2017, 03:48 PM)
Gunstarheroes's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lazlo Woodbine

Maybe that kind of information should be in the OP then? Just a thought because I don't think everyone has seen every post Doug has made across Twitter/CAG/GAF/etc...

Thoss are just on GAF, but basically, the model and sales basically crack doing the pre-order window (see iam8bit's Rez HD). Subscription model was something discussed but people were mad about having to possibly pay for games they didn't want, screwing with their ability to assess proper order numbers for copies, among smaller factors

They pretty much admit that no system will make everyone happy, but that the system has been working decently for a lot of runs, but sometimes they just aren't gonna be on the dot with numbers.
GodzillaDB
Member
(07-29-2017, 05:04 PM)
GodzillaDB's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lazlo Woodbine

EDIT: That kind of information should definitely be in the OP. Considering the amount of easily overlooked posts Doug has made across various forums it'd probably be a good idea to develop a basic FAQ.

I had thought about adding a FAQ section prior to the creation of the second thread. Regrettably, I received some advice from a handful of users that commented such a component to the OP likely wouldn't curb others from asking the same tiresome questions in the long run. It's just too easy for someone to drive by with complaints about the sell-out rate or inquiry about the Skullgirls release without taking a few seconds to do any sort of research. I might still add something down the line, but I'm contemplating other improvements for the time being while being mindful of the character limit if this thread potentially has the same two-year legs worth of future releases to compile.
FinaruDensetsu
Member
(07-29-2017, 05:16 PM)
FinaruDensetsu's Avatar
Will Skullgirls come with trading cards?
Clive
Member
(07-29-2017, 05:33 PM)
Clive's Avatar
There being many resellers/scalpers benefits everyone except for in the case where an item is immediately sold out, like Oceanhorn was. LRG and the devs sell more copies thanks to them and the aftermarket needs them to provide copies on for example eBay. More scalpers means more competition and lower prices on eBay. I'd rather buy a $50 copy of Oceanhorn from eBay than physical copies being gone from the market forever.

It really sucks when something is immediately sold out though because people who genuinely wanted the game will miss out and it also tends to drive up the eBay prices immediately but the issue was underestimated demand, not there being scalpers. Scalpers can be factored in when estimating a print run.

People who want aftermarket prices to stay reasonable should welcome resellers. Only the people who want their collectibles to rise in price and become rare should condemn them. In the case of LRG.
Pellegri Testament
Member
(07-29-2017, 05:44 PM)
Pellegri Testament's Avatar

Originally Posted by Clive

There being many resellers/scalpers benefits everyone except for in the case where an item is immediately sold out, like Oceanhorn was. LRG and the devs sell more copies thanks to them and the aftermarket needs them to provide copies on for example eBay. More scalpers means more competition and lower prices on eBay. I'd rather buy a $50 copy of Oceanhorn from eBay than physical copies being gone from the market forever.

It really sucks when something is immediately sold out though because people who genuinely wanted the game will miss out and it also tends to drive up the eBay prices immediately but the issue was underestimated demand, not there being scalpers. Scalpers can be factored in when estimating a print run.

People who want aftermarket prices to stay reasonable should welcome resellers. Only the people who want their collectibles to rise in price and become rare should condemn them. In the case of LRG.

I don't even understand the point in scalping these things for only that much over cost, as some people already have on Ebay. Kinda have to wonder why some of these people are putting in that much effort for the bare minimum, especially when this game at least is actually pretty sought after. Why not wait a few weeks to a month so you can better judge what people are willing to pay for it?
blazeuk
Member
(07-29-2017, 07:15 PM)
blazeuk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Occam

Subscription please. And in the meantime, please change your system so a game can't sell out once you put it into the shopping basket. Add a timer if you must: No checkout within 15 minutes: game goes back into stock.

The current system is awful, and has always been. Please fix it.

The holding in basket system was terrible, caused so many problems with the inventory on site and actually made people far more annoyed at losing out when people who weren't there first somehow managed to place orders ~10 minutes later. There's no doubt the system is frustrating when you miss out but LRG have pretty much made it clear it will stay how it is and it obviously works for them, the update that happened with Shopify makes the site work much better than previously imo.
Weevilone
Member
(07-29-2017, 07:28 PM)
Weevilone's Avatar
Yes, please do a subscription. They could allow some flexibility in terms of what people to subscribe to, then fill orders accordingly.

I absolutely hate "LRG day" and planning shit around placing orders.
takoyaki
Member
(07-29-2017, 07:53 PM)
takoyaki's Avatar
I’ve been a fan of subscriptions idea since it was first brought up by LRG. But I can see this getting rather complicated:

One sub for Vita games, one sub for PS4 games, an option each to either get one standard copy per game, one of every cover variant or the maximum amount of copies you are allowed to purchase per customer.

Get charged at the beginning of every month, decide if you want the monthly games held till the end of the month or pay more to get them shipped asap.

I’d be very interested in such a service. Focused on the main LRG catalogue excluding pre-orders, Special Reserve Games, etc.
Nachtfalke
Member
(07-29-2017, 07:56 PM)
Nachtfalke's Avatar
A friend of mine missed Söldner back then and could grab it last week for 35$ from eBay. Just be patient and you will still get the games for a decent price. Shipping including he only paid 7$ more. If you really want the game, this is nothing.
Semoreh
Member
(07-29-2017, 08:59 PM)
Semoreh's Avatar

Originally Posted by takoyaki

One sub for Vita games, one sub for PS4 games, an option each to either get one standard copy per game, one of every cover variant or the maximum amount of copies you are allowed to purchase per customer.

Meh. Now that I think of it, it would only cater to full-set collectors. Say you're not one, and games X, Y and Z are released on PS4 in one month. If Y is trash and you don't want to get it, you're screwed. The subscription doesn't work for you.
I don't understand how a subscription system could be better than a good preorder system : the latter is much more flexible and would please both collectors and "pickers".

Originally Posted by Nachtfalke

A friend of mine missed Söldner back then and could grab it last week for 35$ from eBay. Just be patient and you will still get the games for a decent price. Shipping including he only paid 7$ more. If you really want the game, this is nothing.

+1 ! Also, opened copies are often cheapers, so depending of your profile there aredeals good deals from time to time :)
foobarry81
Member
(07-29-2017, 09:53 PM)
foobarry81's Avatar
A subscription service is a *terrible* idea. LRG can hardly handle shipping out their releases in a timely manner as it is now. I'm currently awaiting 7 (seven!) of their games that should eventually end up in my mailbox, and I'm not even a complete collector, nor do I use the holding service.

Do we really need more red tape to further clog their processes?

Thread Tools