//UPLINK REESTABLISHED… BEGINNING SYSTEMS TRACE
Developer | Firaxis
Publisher | 2K
Director | Jake Solomon (XCOM:Enemy Unknown, XCOM 2)
Platforms | Windows, Mac and Linux, PS4, Xbox One
Release Dates | 28 August (PC) – 14 September (PS4, XBONE)
GAFCOM Status | ONLINE
As the battle against the alien regime rages on, the remnant XCOM forces must find new allies amongst the feuding resistance groups of Earth. But a new and deadly foe – the elite Chosen – has emerged, bent on recapturing the legendary XCOM commander and laying waste to all who resist. Take command of the fledgling resistance, play peacemaker, and lead your forces to victory over our oppressive alien benefactors.
Good luck, commander.
- FRIENDS: Three competing Rebel factions provide unique, powerful hero units and political opportunities for the strategy level, if you can balance their petty squabbles.
- FOES: The Chosen – twisted, powerful nemeses - stalk XCOM operations, kidnapping and interrogating your soldiers to track their elusive prey; destroy their strongholds to bring them to heel.
- MORE FOES: The copycat alien Spectre, the explosive ADVENT Purifier and the psionic ADVENT Priest join the fray. More bodies for the vivisection table…
- WAR BONDS: Soldiers bond through battle, producing unique shared abilities – and major consequences for death or disaster.
- I AM NOT A NUMBER: A host of minor and major tweaks to soldiers – soldier personalities, a fatigue system, and the ability to build skill trees to take random abilities from other classes.
- SITREP: Modifiers ensure that each mission will be unique, different, and challenging in a brand new “That’s XCOM” kind of way, every single time. Lessening the amount of soldiers you can bring, filling the map with explosives… all kinds of fun things.
- ALSO MORE ZOMBIES AGAIN: Yeah also we’ve got zombies. A different type of zombie. That do it for you? You can headshot these ones for a free action and they attack the enemy too. Listen, I don’t know, zombies man, you can’t get rid of them.
- TECH FIXES: Firaxis promises it won’t be as buggy as XCOM 2 at launch. For reals.
TRAILERS | Announce Trailer | Reaper Faction | Skirmisher Faction | Templar Faction | Chosen Assassin | Chosen Warlock | Chosen Hunter | New Enemies | The Lost | Challenge Mode |
VIDEO | Dev Deep Dive (Ft. Jake “Crazy” Solomon and Garth “Love you Mum” DeAngelis) | Dev Deep Dive 2 (Ft. Jake “Greenscreen“ Solomon and Garth “Moderator“ DeAngelis) | Dev Deep Dive 3 (Ft. Griffin "Delayed" Funk and Joe "Bad News" Weinhoffer) | Yogscast 80 Minute Deep Dive (Ft. Jake “WAR OF THE CHOSEN” Solomon) | Eurogamer 80 Minutes of Gameplay (Ft. Jake "They're Not Zombies At All" Solomon) | Also like every major influencer on the ‘net has a preview build apparently, give a youtube search
WRITING | Reddit Developer AMA (Ft. Jake "Teardrinker" Solomon, Joe "Pipes" Weinhoffer, and Griffin "Chipmunk" Funk)
RockPaperShotgun – RECOMMENDED
Eurogamer – RECOMMENDED
IGN - WORDS
Polygon - WORDS
PCGamer - WORDS
GameInformer - 93
GamePlanet.au - 8/10
- I’m new to xcom and what is this
War of the Chosen is an expansion pack for XCOM 2. It will integrate and overlay the base game, much like traditional Civilisation expansions; it is not a separate ‘campaign’. Reports indicate it also integrates the DLC missions and characters for XCOM 2 seemlessly.
- Cool so do I get those tech fixes to the base XCOM 2 if I don’t buy the expansion pack?
- Is this going to break all my cool mods?
Nope. Well, probably not.
- Are we underwater yet?
Jake Solomon himself is going to teleport to your location and snap your goddamn neck.
- Why is this OT so garbage?
Nobody volunteered so I threw this together last minute.
- I have three uber tier hero units and my guy STILL got mind controlled by a pectoid and then my other guy missed the 95% shot to free him and now I’m squadwiped!!!!
That’s XCOM, baby!