• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(08-29-2017, 01:57 PM)
Jintor's Avatar
man fuck i can't stay awake any longer to even start the download.

fucking gmg.
Uthred
Member
(08-29-2017, 02:00 PM)
Uthred's Avatar
Hmm would have thought that your created guys from the vanilla version would show up in WotC but cant seem to get them to, even with fiddling around with importing and exporting.

Edit: To answer my own question, you need to copy over the .bin file from the XCOM 2 folder in documents to the XCOM2 WOTC folder.
RedlineRonin
Member
(08-29-2017, 02:01 PM)
RedlineRonin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jintor

man fuck i can't stay awake any longer to even start the download.

fucking gmg.

I got mine from GMG like an hour or two ago?
PhantomThief
Member
(08-29-2017, 02:01 PM)
PhantomThief's Avatar
I hate that this comes out two weeks later

On consoles
verbatimo
Member
(08-29-2017, 02:04 PM)
verbatimo's Avatar
I think I'm going to wait a few days for mod support before buying.

Playing vanilla version without cosmetics and QoL mods is kinda eeh imo.
RedlineRonin
Member
(08-29-2017, 02:08 PM)
RedlineRonin's Avatar

Originally Posted by PhantomThief

I hate that this comes out two weeks later

On consoles

Like any delay like that (a few weeks) it's probably for the best. My guess is they weren't quite happy with the level of polish.

Probably smart too because iirc, that was a little bit of backlash when vanilla launched on PC with performance issues.

It is a Firaxis game after all =)
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(08-29-2017, 02:16 PM)
Jintor's Avatar

Originally Posted by RedlineRonin

I got mine from GMG like an hour or two ago?

They're sending in batches
RedlineRonin
Member
(08-29-2017, 02:17 PM)
RedlineRonin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jintor

They're sending in batches

Got you.

That's weird, they must have sold a bunch. I know i didn't see a price cheaper than $29 or whatever it worked out to be.
Sentenza
Member
(08-29-2017, 02:18 PM)
Sentenza's Avatar

Originally Posted by PhantomThief

I hate that this comes out two weeks later

On consoles

In frankly surprised it's coming at all.
At least soon after the release sales looked fairly shitty there.
CmdBash
Member
(08-29-2017, 02:41 PM)
CmdBash's Avatar
Finally got it! Is anything changed from the tutorial, should I play through it again?
Lister
Member
(08-29-2017, 02:51 PM)
Lister's Avatar

Originally Posted by CmdBash

Finally got it! Is anything changed from the tutorial, should I play through it again?

A lot changed for the opening missions.
samn
yuuuuup.
(08-29-2017, 02:53 PM)
samn's Avatar
How is performance on really crappy PCs?
Sulik2
Member
(08-29-2017, 02:55 PM)
Sulik2's Avatar
Got my download started before work. Now I just have to sit and wait until the end of the day to play. Sadness.
NoRéN
Member
(08-29-2017, 02:57 PM)
NoRéN's Avatar
I have some steam keys available for $30. PM if interested.
Nete
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:01 PM)
Nete's Avatar
Seems that Character Pool files must be copied to a new location. Otherwise they won't show up for the expansion.


From: Documents\my games\XCOM2\CharacterPool
To: Documents\my games\XCOM2 War of the Chosen\XComGame\CharacterPool
Xater
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:03 PM)
Xater's Avatar
I forgot how rough the start with Rookies can be...
Trey
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:05 PM)
Here's to another 200 hours of my life gone.
PhantomThief
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:07 PM)
PhantomThief's Avatar

Originally Posted by RedlineRonin

Like any delay like that (a few weeks) it's probably for the best. My guess is they weren't quite happy with the level of polish.

Probably smart too because iirc, that was a little bit of backlash when vanilla launched on PC with performance issues.

It is a Firaxis game after all =)

Well I know you are right but the ps4 base game still to this day has pretty bad performance :/.
CmdBash
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:07 PM)
CmdBash's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lister

A lot changed for the opening missions.

Will do!

Performance does seemed to have improved on my PC (3570k/970) still can't manage msaa 2x without frame drops though.
Sinh_Magnus
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:09 PM)
Sinh_Magnus's Avatar
If there's a cosmetic mod that I miss right now, is the titanfall armors. They were amazing.
Belker
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:12 PM)

Originally Posted by PhantomThief

Well I know you are right but the ps4 base game still to this day has pretty bad performance :/.

Yep, as I found out after the recent PSN sale. It's almost impressively poor - the way enemy soldiers drop in and the frame rate drops and sound starts stuttering.

I was wondering if the Xbox One version might be better because of the CPU, in the way one the Parisian AC games could handle crowds better on that version.
E_Darkness
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:18 PM)
E_Darkness's Avatar
I've only just got back to playing XCOM 2 on PS4 so I'm not even buying this until I can actually beat the game. Though everything I've seen has made sure I will get this as soon as I can.

And to add, yeah the base PS4 XCOM2 is a bit rough. But I got the game for super cheap so I don't mind. Might pick up Shen's Last Gift and Alien Hunters before I jump into WotC.
Rhaknar
The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
(08-29-2017, 03:18 PM)
Rhaknar's Avatar
whats with the title? it doesnt even make sense.
Sblargh
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:27 PM)
Sblargh's Avatar
Playing without the story mission does give you a random hero at gatecrasher, which by itself makes so much difference. Such replayable wow
RedlineRonin
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:30 PM)
RedlineRonin's Avatar

Originally Posted by CmdBash

Will do!

Performance does seemed to have improved on my PC (3570k/970) still can't manage msaa 2x without frame drops though.

This is exciting.

On a 6700K/1080FE I think I was pretty much a stones throw away from stable 4K, so hopefully that's achievable now

Originally Posted by Rhaknar

whats with the title? it doesnt even make sense.

reference to the Mario Kingdom Battle OT title i believe. Also, pretty sure no one signed up to do the OT until yesterday or the day before, so having one is better than not having one =)
Lister
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:31 PM)
Lister's Avatar
It's going to be a loooong day today at work :(
RedlineRonin
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:31 PM)
RedlineRonin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lister

It's going to be a loooong day today at work :(

.
Pheace
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:33 PM)
Pheace's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lister

It's going to be a loooong day today at work :(

I finished downloading the game 30 mins before I had to leave for work and it's almost time to go home at last. Hang in there! :p

Going to the store to stock up on snacks and comfort food and then I'm going to binge!
BearPawB
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:34 PM)
BearPawB's Avatar
Wow that diffficuly curve escalated quickly!
When the chosen start showing up in already difficult missions....things get rough
Rhaknar
The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
(08-29-2017, 03:36 PM)
Rhaknar's Avatar

Originally Posted by RedlineRonin

This is exciting.

On a 6700K/1080FE I think I was pretty much a stones throw away from stable 4K, so hopefully that's achievable now



reference to the Mario Kingdom Battle OT title i believe. Also, pretty sure no one signed up to do the OT until yesterday or the day before, so having one is better than not having one =)

I know what the reference is, it just makes no sense. That one referencing Xcom made sense, but the other way around is as if a Dark Souls OT referenced The Surge in the title.

Dark Souls 4 |OT| - Medieval Surge

wait...thats would actually be kinda neat...damn it :3
Sinh_Magnus
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:42 PM)
Sinh_Magnus's Avatar
So just now I made one of my soldiers (early game Spoilers) inmolate herself after slashing a purger, damm thing blew up after killing it

And it had a bond. Dammit.
FunkyMonk
Junior Member
(08-29-2017, 03:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Lister

A lot changed for the opening missions.

It's been a while and I can't remember if doing the tutorial missions locks you into anything regarding base building, do you happen to know Dave?

Originally Posted by Lister

It's going to be a loooong day today at work :(

Tell me about it, hell I won't get to play it properly until Wednesday night after my Dark Heresy session finishes round half 10. Then I have 5 days of XCOM goodness to enjoy :-)

So what difficulty are folk going for? My ego says Commander Ironman but my sanity is pleading for Veteran Ironman.
Last edited by FunkyMonk; 08-29-2017 at 03:49 PM.
hollerphonix
Junior Member
(08-29-2017, 03:48 PM)
So console player here a question and a statement I guess.

How is the other dlc? Is it worth it at all really? I'm not super sure as I've only played these games on console and Idk about the dlc contents or quality but find myself a bit tempted knowing this expansion is so close.

As far as this expansion goes it looks kinda insane. A fair bit of content and tougher missions etc. I may need to prepare myself before this one.
Erheller
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Rhaknar

whats with the title? it doesnt even make sense.

Pretty sure it's from an interview with Jake Solomon
SmiteOfHand
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:55 PM)
SmiteOfHand's Avatar

Originally Posted by LurkerPrime

Are there new voices for soldiers or anything?

Can't imagine what's taking up so much space, if it's not audio.

The character creator looks to be identical in terms of options, has just been reorganized I think.

As mentioned, you launch the base game or WotC independently, so its seems like there are essentially two copies of the engine, likely with the expansion able to access the base assets so not entirely a 100% copy, but then a big chunk of its own new assets to make up the space difference. Makes sense considering the engine overhaul. Shame they couldn't find a way to bring it all under one roof, but I understand the reality of it.

edit: ninja aliens straight out of Blizzard design school are lame, imo. I wish they'd pulled from cosmic horror more for inspiration.
Last edited by SmiteOfHand; 08-29-2017 at 04:00 PM.
RedlineRonin
Member
(08-29-2017, 03:57 PM)
RedlineRonin's Avatar

Originally Posted by hollerphonix

So console player here a question and a statement I guess.

How is the other dlc? Is it worth it at all really? I'm not super sure as I've only played these games on console and Idk about the dlc contents or quality but find myself a bit tempted knowing this expansion is so close.

As far as this expansion goes it looks kinda insane. A fair bit of content and tougher missions etc. I may need to prepare myself before this one.

The shen's last gift and alien hunters DLC are both very good. I would highly recommend them. And they've been rebalanced in the context of WotC.

Shen's last gift adds 3ish story missions and a robot class, similar to the mecs from EW, and Alien Hunters adds three random bosses that will pop up during missions that were some of the most challenging fights imho. And you get cool gear/weapons for beating them.

Children of Anarchy is 100% garbage. It's just a bunch of mad max looking outfits and customization stuff and is completely aesthetically unappealing imho.

Not sure if you have the base game or not, but the digital deluxe (Xcom 2 plus the three above mentioned packs) is on sale for $30 at gamestop right now. otherwise the three packs are bundled in what's called the "reinforcement pack" and that's a $20 add on to the base game.
iosefe
Member
(08-29-2017, 04:02 PM)
iosefe's Avatar
download is too big, wont even finish before i have to go to work
hollerphonix
Junior Member
(08-29-2017, 04:03 PM)

Originally Posted by RedlineRonin

The shen's last gift and alien hunters DLC are both very good. I would highly recommend them. And they've been rebalanced in the context of WotC.

Shen's last gift adds 3ish story missions and a robot class, similar to the mecs from EW, and Alien Hunters adds three random bosses that will pop up during missions that were some of the most challenging fights imho. And you get cool gear/weapons for beating them.

Children of Anarchy is 100% garbage. It's just a bunch of mad max looking outfits and customization stuff and is completely aesthetically unappealing imho.

Not sure if you have the base game or not, but the digital deluxe (Xcom 2 plus the three above mentioned packs) is on sale for $30 at gamestop right now. otherwise the three packs are bundled in what's called the "reinforcement pack" and that's a $20 add on to the base game.

Ended up getting it in the humble bundle since game prices are silly here in Canada but felt like I had to have the complete experience if those were worth it.
RedlineRonin
Member
(08-29-2017, 04:07 PM)
RedlineRonin's Avatar

Originally Posted by hollerphonix

Ended up getting it in the humble bundle since game prices are silly here in Canada but felt like I had to have the complete experience if those were worth it.

Makes sense.

Others can certainly weigh in, but I was impressed with the overall quality for those two pieces and they add unique stuff to the play through. And they integrate well with WotC, so that's cool too.
SRG01
Member
(08-29-2017, 04:12 PM)
SRG01's Avatar
Got a GMG email at 5am this morning saying that my key got released. Had to rush out the door, so no time to start the download before work :(
schadenfood
Member
(08-29-2017, 04:17 PM)
schadenfood's Avatar
Any word on when the Mac version will be available?
epmode
Member
(08-29-2017, 04:18 PM)
epmode's Avatar

Originally Posted by SRG01

Got a GMG email at 5am this morning saying that my key got released. Had to rush out the door, so no time to start the download before work :(

I have TeamViewer installed for this exact situation. Works with mobile devices.
Ushay
Banned
(08-29-2017, 04:20 PM)
So when is this coming to Xbox again? Also is it getting any update with the One X?
Sblargh
Member
(08-29-2017, 04:25 PM)
Sblargh's Avatar
I think an enemy got a hell of a nerf. (I am playing on legend)

The faceless no longer attacks right after revealing itself
Morokh
Member
(08-29-2017, 04:26 PM)
Morokh's Avatar
Once you download the expansion can you still just create a new campain with the base game only ?
Sentenza
Member
(08-29-2017, 04:27 PM)
Sentenza's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sblargh

I think an enemy got a hell of a nerf. (I am playing on legend)

The faceless no longer attacks right after revealing itself

It never did unless you were out of actions, as far as I can remember.


P.S. Count me in the club of those who had to leave for work before getting the serial key.
Disappointing. I hoped to play this night but even with a 100Mbit fiber it will probably take around two hours.
epmode
Member
(08-29-2017, 04:35 PM)
epmode's Avatar

Originally Posted by Morokh

Once you download the expansion can you still just create a new campain with the base game only ?

Yes, it's a choice when you first launch the game. I don't think the original campaign has the performance improvements from the expansion though.
HungOverOnATues
Member
(08-29-2017, 04:39 PM)
HungOverOnATues's Avatar
Anyone playing with a Steam controller? I updated my config to the current official one and it doesn't look like the Move/Shoot action does anything. Ended up changing the binding to Enter in the mean time.
Lister
Member
(08-29-2017, 04:44 PM)
Lister's Avatar

Originally Posted by HungOverOnATues

Anyone playing with a Steam controller? I updated my config to the current official one and it doesn't look like the Move/Shoot action does anything. Ended up changing the binding to Enter in the mean time.

Make sure you actually activate the config. I kept on selecitng the config but forgetting to activate.

Also some of the community ones are better than the official one, IMHO.
malcher
Junior Member
(08-29-2017, 05:01 PM)
Has anyone else still NOT received their key from cdkeys?

Thread Tools