• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Undead Fantasy
(09-20-2017, 04:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Red Devil

I think people should keep their expectations in check though, I think at best it'll be Peach's Castle and that's it, we shouldn't be expecting any SM64 worlds or anything.

Even if we can only explore the castle without entering any paintings, it will be enough.
Last edited by Undead Fantasy; 09-20-2017 at 04:58 PM.
JJH
(09-20-2017, 04:56 PM)
This is going to be my daughter's first 3D Mario game. She loves the SMB titles on our NES classic. She's going to be in for a real treat.
Sou Da
(09-20-2017, 04:57 PM)
With every preview Odyssey drops a tear of soul into the well of mankind.
sleepnaught
(09-20-2017, 04:57 PM)
Just noticed all the water on the seaside kingdom is carbonated and it fizzes as you swim through it lol, nice touch

edit: seeing these new previews is definitely easing my mind about the world design. seaside definitely looks like it has a ton of layers once you look below the water, looks really neat.
Last edited by sleepnaught; 09-20-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Xumbrega
(09-20-2017, 04:59 PM)
Man.. I really need a Switch
GalacticMouse
(09-20-2017, 05:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Philippo

No Easy Allies?

It seems like they're often a little behind on preview/review embargoes because of their production schedule. Small team doing reviews/podcasts/previews, one person does all voiceover, etc. I'm also hoping they have a video coming about it!
Monkeyball
(09-20-2017, 05:12 PM)
What an awesome looking Mario game1!!11 Can't wait.
LegendofLex
(09-20-2017, 05:14 PM)

I think people should keep their expectations in check though, I think at best it'll be Peach's Castle and that's it, we shouldn't be expecting any SM64 worlds or anything.

I'm assuming this is the one with Unagi the terrifying eel that showed up in a screenshot I saw on Twitter.

edit: never mind, I guess that's a separate thing

edit2: media blackout time!
Last edited by LegendofLex; 09-20-2017 at 05:17 PM.
AdanVC
(09-20-2017, 05:16 PM)
Too much shit going on on the world rn but at least we have this amazing, pure and fun videogame coming soon to make us smile. Previews looks and sounds amazing. This game is going to be something else.
Red Devil
(09-20-2017, 05:16 PM)

Originally Posted by sleepnaught

Just noticed all the water on the seaside kingdom is carbonated and it fizzes as you swim through it lol, nice touch

I think in one of these videos one of the snails NPCs mentions that the water is like soda or something.
CaVaYeRo
(09-20-2017, 05:20 PM)
Here's my 5 gameplay clips, just highlights or "best moments":

Seaside Kingdom 1:
https://www.gamereactor.es/grtv/3375...eno+-+Parte+1/
(Explorer Mario, cool moves at the beach, pirate goombas, cheep-cheep capturing)

Seaside Kingdom 2:
https://www.gamereactor.es/grtv/3374...eno+-+Parte+2/
(2D underwater retro platforming puzzle, octopus capturing, boulder dodging, creepy Super Mario 64 eel cave)

Luncheon Kingdom 1:
https://www.gamereactor.es/grtv/3374...nes+-+Parte+1/
(goomba capture, lava bubble capture, swimsuit, golden ingredient cooking)

Luncheon Kingdom 2:
https://www.gamereactor.es/grtv/3374...nes+-+Parte+2/
(Famicom baseball cap, Pan Bros vs cheese walls, lava bubble puzzle)
Last edited by CaVaYeRo; 09-20-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Trrzs
(09-20-2017, 05:30 PM)

Originally Posted by OrbitalBeard

From the Metro preview. oh shit

Not really a spoiler, but I'm gonna' tag it anyway.

"For each demo we had a Nintendo rep hovering over us, telling us when to stop and what we absolutely could not do or talk about. For example, portraits in each stage seem to work as quick portals between kingdoms, and one of them let us get a sneak peek at one thatís not yet announced. We canít say what it is but it looks amazing, and will blow the minds of Super Mario 64 fans."

Give me this game.

It's clearly the Mushroom Kingdom. But I want to point something interesting I found in the footage of the last Nintendo Direct. They actually show that kingdom in the map, but in the in-game map, we can see the "geography" of the kingdoms, Tostarena is a big desert, Shiveria is a big Ice land, the cap kingdom es black like the grass found there. But what about the Mushroom Kingdom? Well, it has green and brown land masses simulating the classic Mario's mushrooms, the interesting part here is that there's a big brown square land in the middle of the island simulating the middle dot in Mario's mushrooms but why is a square instead a circle mass? Because there's is the Peach's Castle! And is obviously full explorable. And I'm pretty confident they will "remake" a lot of the worlds found in Mario 64.

Here's the pic for a better reference https://i.imgur.com/yUW6GNl.jpg
OrbitalBeard
(09-20-2017, 05:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Trrzs

It's clearly the Mushroom Kingdom. But I want to point something interesting I found in the footage of the last Nintendo Direct. They actually show that kingdom in the map, but in the in-game map, we can see the "geography" of the kingdoms, Tostarena is a big desert, Shiveria is a big Ice land, the cap kingdom es black like the grass found there. But what about the Mushroom Kingdom? Well, it has green and brown land masses simulating the classic Mario's mushrooms, the interesting part here is that there's a big brown square land in the middle of the island simulating the middle dot in Mario's mushrooms but why is a square instead a circle mass? Because there's is the Peach's Castle! And is obviously full explorable. And I'm pretty confident they will "remake" a lot of the worlds found in Mario 64.

Yeah, I think you're right and here's the proof. THIS IS WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE A PRETTY BIG SPOILER. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

https://i.imgur.com/ISaDX8c.png
Skittzo0413
(09-20-2017, 05:38 PM)

Yeah, I think you're right and here's the proof. THIS IS WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE A PRETTY BIG SPOILER. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Definitely a big spoiler.

If not a bit obvious due to that blurb from the preview
ffdgh
(09-20-2017, 05:40 PM)

it'sbeen3000years.gif
LegendofLex
(09-20-2017, 05:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Skittzo0413

Definitely a big spoiler.

If not a bit obvious due to that blurb from the preview

nah, this game's liable to have plenty of Mario 64 callbacks even outside of the most ostentatious ones, and I'd be shocked if this is the only one tied to a portrait portal.
Red Devil
(09-20-2017, 05:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Trrzs

GameXplain took a closer look to the world map on their Top 5 details video.
OricWindstar
(09-20-2017, 05:42 PM)

Well for those worried about the lack of platforming...

Small detail, but I love that the music doesn't start over when you die.
Waddle Dee
(09-20-2017, 05:50 PM)
Sort of going on a blackout. I'm only reading parts of articles and taking a look at footage of things we've already seen and news updates that don't contain spoilers. Hopefully I can keep it up... This is actually the first game I'm sort of doing a blackout on. Odyssey is looking like the potential GOAT, no hyperbole.
Gamecocks625
(09-20-2017, 05:55 PM)
I was one of those individuals who was skeptical when I first saw the E3 footage. But man, everything since then has me more and more excited. Now I'm almost regretting watching this latest footage because I want to be surprised when playing it for the first time...like that same sort of awe I had when I first played Super Mario World.
Undead Fantasy
(09-20-2017, 05:55 PM)

LucidMomentum
(09-20-2017, 05:56 PM)
Yeah I'm buying this game. Buying it hard.
Skittzo0413
(09-20-2017, 05:56 PM)
To try and drag the hype down a bit to mortal levels, it seems like some of the moon puzzles are repeated throughout the game. Specifically, I've seen at least 3 instances of the stack of goombas to save/impress the lady goomba thing.

Hopefully there aren't too many repeats.
Gamecocks625
(09-20-2017, 05:58 PM)

WHY DID I LOOK AT THIS WHY WHY
Dark Cloud
(09-20-2017, 05:58 PM)

To try and drag the hype down a bit to mortal levels, it seems like some of the moon puzzles are repeated throughout the game. Specifically, I've seen at least 3 instances of the stack of goombas to save/impress the lady goomba thing.

This is nothing new. Galaxy had repeat missions with the robot to get stars. You can say the same with 3D World and Captain Toad.
Mihael Mello Keehl
(09-20-2017, 05:59 PM)

Originally Posted by 8bit

Is, is that a nintendog?

Thats exactly what it is. Glad im not the only one to notice that.
LegendofLex
(09-20-2017, 05:59 PM)

tbh my #1 concern about this game is that the mission-based structure is going to be incredibly tired on replays
OrbitalBeard
(09-20-2017, 06:01 PM)

I don't have a problem with it, because those are side objectives and each one appears to be handled a bit differently, simply based on level design. My guess is there's one of those in each kingdom.

Originally Posted by LegendofLex

tbh my #1 concern about this game is that the mission-based structure is going to be incredibly tired on replays

Seems to be set up very similarly to Sunshine in that way.
Wamb0wneD
(09-20-2017, 06:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Gamecocks625

WHY DID I LOOK AT THIS WHY WHY

This is me right now. Fuck.
Kinsei
(09-20-2017, 06:02 PM)

To be fair those missions will all be varied thanks to the terrain greatly affecting them. It's kinda like the red coins from 64.
Ged

Originally Posted by Sn4ke_911

PUPPER

Pinky

Fantastical
Death Prophet
(09-20-2017, 06:03 PM)
So...
(actual spoilers)
64 throwback, Sunshine throwback... is the moon going to be a Galaxy throwback? :)

Originally Posted by Pinky

Smashman45
(09-20-2017, 06:03 PM)

lol yeah, be careful blackout folks.

This only confirms what I already knew based on the Mushroom Kingdom sticker on the website, so it's not a huge deal. XD

Still though, I'm saving seeing it in its entirety for the game itself. Fucking hyped, man.
Last edited by Smashman45; 09-20-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Skittzo0413
(09-20-2017, 06:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud

This is nothing new. Galaxy had repeat missions with the robot to get stars. You can say the same with 3D World and Captain Toad.

Those were different missions with the same core theme, rather than these which seem to be framed as a puzzle, but once you've done it once you know the solution. Maybe they will throw in some hiccups, like making it hard to find the correct number of Goombas or whatever.

Originally Posted by LegendofLex

The fact that we've seen so little repetition so far makes me think that won't be a big problem. From all of the BotW E3 footage we saw a lot of different Korok seed puzzles which looked extremely similar, here we basically just have a lot of hidden moons and a few that require different tasks to unveil.

The fact that it's taken until now that we've seen this kinda repetition even with all of the footage that's out there makes me think it'll be a very rare thing in the game.

I don't have a problem with it, because those are side objectives and each one appears to be handled a bit differently, simply based on level design. My guess is there's one of those in each kingdom.

Originally Posted by Kinsei

To be fair those missions will all be varied thanks to the terrain greatly affecting them. It's kinda like the red coins from 64.

Yup, good points too.
OrbitalBeard
(09-20-2017, 06:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Kinsei

Yeah, exactly. The red coins are a good comparison.
Mihael Mello Keehl
(09-20-2017, 06:05 PM)

WELP!!!!!!
Boke1879

Originally Posted by Undead Fantasy

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Smiles and Cries
back to my old
nipples and tits

OH My
Dark Cloud
(09-20-2017, 06:06 PM)
Dammit I want to CLICK the spoiler!
jaypah
(09-20-2017, 06:07 PM)
Not sure I've ever done this for a game but, fuck that, black out time. This game has way too much going on and I want it to be crescent fresh when I play it. These threads are going to be calling me like Pookie though.
Spiritreaver
(09-20-2017, 06:07 PM)
I watched a few videos and I'm *shocked* so many journalists think this game looks good visually.

/s It's blackout time.
Gulidor
(09-20-2017, 06:08 PM)

wheres this image from?
TheGreatMightyPoo
(09-20-2017, 06:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud

Dammit I want to CLICK the spoiler!

Platy
(09-20-2017, 06:09 PM)

Well for those worried about the lack of platforming...

i expected the a capella songs of sunshine =|
Aostia
El Capitan Todd
Damn
Media blackout
ridley182
aka Mister Chef
I'm gonna click

No I'm not

I'm gonna click

*click*

*closes before can see anything*
Undead Fantasy
(09-20-2017, 06:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Boke1879

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I was going to wait for a price drop before getting the Switch but NOPE.

Getting one as soon as possible, along side this:

Jonneh3003
(09-20-2017, 06:10 PM)

Holy F.
Peterc
(09-20-2017, 06:11 PM)

Originally Posted by TheGreatMightyPoo

Don not open it, it will ruin your life