• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

TJP

I was actually gonna ask in here if anyone thought it was a good game. I've been interested in it from the get-go as a replacement for TOCA3, but it kind of went off my radar after it released.
Betta Lines sums up Autosport rather well - it looks good cockpits aside, plays fine for a sim-light game, has a solid career mode (including non-compulsory practice and qualifying) with quite a few disciplines and the DLC is okay value for money.

I have a wheel but seldom use it with CM games, I stick with using an Xbox 360 controller and find Autosport an enjoyable experience.

I finally got around to buying my first RaceRoom content today. ADAC GT Masters and DTM 1992.

After all the work that they've done with it over the past year, I love the space it occupies now. They really nailed the sim-to-fun ratio that doesn't outright alienate any racing game fan. Good ffb, good AI, good racing structure, there aren't that many sims that have all these things. It's way too much fun to climb up it's ass over forgiving physics, or any other "buts" I may have.

For me, it's really hitting the spot. I've been playing a lot of AC over the last few months because of it's Rift support, and I'm at wit's end with shitty racing. I really needed a good dose of what RaceRoom was offering.

Jilt

I finally got around to buying my first RaceRoom content today. ADAC GT Masters and DTM 1992.

After all the work that they've done with it over the past year, I love the space it occupies now. They really nailed the sim-to-fun ratio that doesn't outright alienate any racing game fan. Good ffb, good AI, good racing structure, there aren't that many sims that have all these things. It's way too much fun to climb up it's ass over forgiving physics, or any other "buts" I may have.

For me, it's really hitting the spot. I've been playing a lot of AC over the last few months because of it's Rift support, and I'm at wit's end with shitty racing. I really needed a good dose of what RaceRoom was offering.

Spot on comments mate!!
You read my mind :)

mrsmr2

That's rF2?

Looks like a Codemasters game (in a good graphical way).

EDIT: just tried it. It does look fantastic and it's a really nice track to race on.

Spookie

Yeah as I've said before their packages are ace, it's nice having rules for certain championships. After playing Raceroom it shows me what AC needs is more support to create custom championships with weight penalties, forced pit stops. Also some sort of continuity between the releases would be nice. For example a 'BTCC'-esq release with loads of front wheel cars and some british tracks.

I still find AC the best, for me, FFB and physics wise but it's incredibly barebones at the moment and I'm getting more value out of Raceroom at the moment.

Watevaman

Does the DTM Experience (2013 if it matters) stuff just integrate into RRRE? Can you race the tracks it gives you with other cars you buy in RRRE or are you stuck with DTM cars?

Dave_6

Damn, I got RRE/RaceRoom a few months ago but still haven't installed it. After seeing some of that DTM footage, I need to give this a shot!

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
This past week Sector 3 Studios launched for RaceRoom R.E. the DTM 1992 car pack, and here a comparison of graphics and sounds with one of its historical cars, the Mercedes 190E Evo II DTM , versus the Project CARS version.

Regards!

So I got the DTM 1992 pack (mainly since it's the first game ever to have the V8 DTM Audi) and it's pretty great.

I've only driven the Opel and the Audi so far but they feel very distinct. You can feel the difference that the Quattro system makes on the Audi, more understeer but more stability. Playing with ABS off also makes it nice and accurate too, had a few brake locks on one corner because of their sensitivity but I didn't do too bad for using an Xbox controller. I'll have to try it online sometime if anyone else has it.

Have a picture of the Audi I just took.
tDyQIaS.png

Dave_6

Think I'm going to buy a few more packs for R3E tonight, mainly the ADAC 2014 and a few others. I'm in love with this sim right now.

TJP

Megasoum

Banned
I plugged in my Thrustmaster TX for the first time in a couple of weeks last night to finally try the last big update for AC and start a career.

This continue to proves that AC will be my sim of choice after all. It has the best mix of physics, graphics, content, modability etc that I love.

pCars has the best graphics and potentially the best career but I really don't like the FFB and I have a tough time getting good FPS. Also, lots of content but no mods (afaik anyway).

rF2 has almost no content but shit ton of mods but I really don't like the driving and the mod system/management is a fucking pain in the ass.

AC looks great, I can keep a 80-90 FPS easily, even with a full grid. Has a good amount of content out of the box and has a career mod. Good mod support with already tons of new tracks. I love the feeling of the car.

The only thing that bugs me a bit is the widget based UI... I think it's a good idea on paper but in the end, a very well crafted UI by a designer would fit better than a bunch of big giant widget I have to try to fit like a puzzle on the screen.

For example I wanted to get the FPS counter but I'm stuck with the huge performance widget.

Anyway, really not a deal breaker or anything but I was a bit annoyed.

Oh also... 15min after starting my career I finally caved in and bought a TH8A shifter lol. It's currently out of stock so not sure when I'll be getting it but whatever..it's coming!

rF2 has almost no content
Seems that you're prefer AC anyway so this is just for future reference, but rF2's content needs to be downloaded separately from the main installer. They've actually got 15 circuits (41 layouts) compared to AC's 8 (13 layouts)

Regarding the widget UI, yeah it's a little irritating. I wish you could adjust settings pre-race or when paused instead of having to be on a live grid.

Megasoum

Banned
Seems that you're prefer AC anyway so this is just for future reference, but rF2's content needs to be downloaded separately from the main installer. They've actually got 15 circuits (41 layouts) compared to AC's 8 (13 layouts)

Regarding the widget UI, yeah it's a little irritating. I wish you could adjust settings pre-race or when paused instead of having to be on a live grid.

Yeah I know about that... I guess my issue is more with the lack of structure... You can do single races or time trials. I need some kind of career with structure and progression. Unless that was added too. I haven't played in a little while.

If anyone needs BTCC mod tracks for GSCE, almost all of them are now available on RaceDepartment. Only Oulton Park and Rockingham to wait for now.

Yeah I know about that... I guess my issue is more with the lack of structure... You can do single races or time trials. I need some kind of career with structure and progression. Unless that was added too. I haven't played in a little while.
Ah yes, no championship/season/career mode. Although oddly enough there's a whole bunch of editable championship settings hidden away in some .mas./txt files... just no mode to use them in.

TJP

rFactor 2 news - Build 910 is available: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/

Update 29 (Build 910) Changelog:

FEATURES:
————-
Added option to screenshot directly to clipboard, PLR file entry now called “Screenshot format”.

BUG FIXES / OPTIMIZATIONS:
————-
Fixed multiplayer race rejoin.
Fixed heat haze bug for non-HDR mode.
Fixed Modmgr bug where a deleted package file would still appear in list.

UI / HUD / OPTIONS:
————-
No longer reset widescreen UI config parameter when applying graphics changes.

If anyone needs BTCC mod tracks for GSCE, almost all of them are now available on RaceDepartment. Only Oulton Park and Rockingham to wait for now.
The modder has finally released Rockingham, but with the sad news that there's no Oulton Park coming... which is a shame as that was the circuit I was most looking forward to. Is the only modern sim with Oulton iRacing?

Outside your DK2 videos, I know almost nothing of PCARS, so I'm very happy to hear it has Oulton... now the long wait until its spring release date.

Outside your DK2 videos, I know almost nothing of PCARS, so I'm very happy to hear it has Oulton... now the long wait until its spring release date.

Motorsport Vision, the company that owns Oulton, also owns Brands, Snetterton, and Cadwell Park. All of which are scanned and in pCARS too.

It's going to be good. You should definitely be looking forward to it. My hope is that it'll get to where RaceRoom is now in regards to driving and racing, but it's in a completely different package.

It looks and feels very similar to the iRacing version, so good to know the scanners work pretty well!

Stefano of Kunos has mentioned his love of UK tracks, particularly Oulton, so perhaps we'll see it in AC one day too.

bee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHvV1WWaH8E

accuforce hands on :D really surprised this wasn't delayed some more, caught be by surprise really, just waiting for a positive review from sim racing garage and then i'll order around march i think

saw this on reddit/oculus over xmas, anyone tried this sweetfx preset ( http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1769/ )for assetto corsa with the rift? definitely prefer it to normal, not sure if it's this or something else though but assetto on the rift just goes a black screen mid lap for me right now

Shaneus

accuforce hands on :D really surprised this wasn't delayed some more, caught be by surprise really, just waiting for a positive review from sim racing garage and then i'll order around march i think

saw this on reddit/oculus over xmas, anyone tried this sweetfx preset ( http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1769/ )for assetto corsa with the rift? definitely prefer it to normal, not sure if it's this or something else though but assetto on the rift just goes a black screen mid lap for me right now
Wow, you must be keen as hell. I just saw the price for the Accuforce. Jebus.

I'm going to dig into the sweetfx presets for both AC and iRacing tonight to see what all the fuss is about.

Stumbled across this on RD: Formula Reiza Engineering Manual / Aero-Tire-Suspension Theory

Hey, cool. Some nice reading material for working on setups.

Terrific job with your Sim Racer magazine pieces, Mr. Lines. I just read them on my iPad, and was impressed, but not the least bit surprised with your thoroughness. I haven't played the latest Codies F1 game, so getting the soup-to-nuts review was actually quite fruitful.

Looking forward to the next issue.

Terrific job with your Sim Racer magazine pieces, Mr. Lines. I just read them on my iPad, and was impressed, but not the least bit surprised with your thoroughness. I haven't played the latest Codies F1 game, so getting the soup-to-nuts review was actually quite fruitful.

Looking forward to the next issue.
Oh! Thank you very much :) Got my copy today too, nice to see it all laid out.

Megasoum

Banned
Got my TH8A shifter yesterday. Nice piece of hardware.

The only thing that bugs me is that you can't use the 7+1 on pc when it's plugged directly in the wheel.

A TH8A is next on my get list.

I'm a desk racer through and through which is problematic for mounting a shifter at any sort of normal height. However I came across a picture of a guy that had made an office chair platform for his HOTAS using the existing bolt holes (which attach the cushion to the frame) to attach it to the side of the chair (longer bolts). The shit was brilliant, and would be perfect for a shifter.

I need to find the picture again... no matter though, I've got the basic concept.

Top Bottom