• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Durden77

I CANNOT seem to beat the Mute City 150cc time trial. The ghost just goes too fast. And tips? I'm using a kart with a high top speed.

What switching from a heavyweight to a lightweight in 200cc feels like
DAZKEGZXgAEc1Ey.jpg

What being in first place in 200cc as a heavyweight feels like

I CANNOT seem to beat the Mute City 150cc time trial. The ghost just goes too fast. And tips? I'm using a kart with a high top speed.
Made a vid of a relatively easy strat just now, just for you. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/146128120

But the main takeaways are to use that coin strategy, take that shortcut every time, and don't release your MT too late on the big turn before the SC. It's extremely common to hold onto your MT for way too long there and that will kill your time.

Stopdoor

I'm pretty good at this game, so I've found a hilarious self-handicap play style for when friends are over and I don't wanna destroy them.

Activate motion steering and auto-accelerate

hold your two Joy-Con like you're playing ARMS

63f034e967e76c4b3a5ca363f2315115.jpg

hold them about as far apart as you'd hold two sides of a steering wheel

right thumb for drift, left thumb for items

it's great :p and it's hysterical to watch. I'm gonna see if I can have a friend 3D print me the parts for a grip as long as a steering wheel's diameter that faces the Joy-Con sideways like that.

I'm trying this, and is steering supposed to be completely impossible? Like, holding it like ARMS, and trying to turn it like a steering wheel doesn't really seem to map to turning. Am I doing it wrong?

Noctilum

How do people recover from attscks so quickly? I hit a guy with a blue shell then 3 red shells and he was at full speed immediately after hit. I don't think he even tumbled around. I was never able to even catch up to him meanwhile I get hit by a blue shell and half the racers can catch up to me and they are so far behind.

Durden77

Made a vid of a relatively easy strat just now, just for you. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/146128120

But the main takeaways are to use that coin strategy, take that shortcut every time, and don't release your MT too late on the big turn before the SC. It's extremely common to hold onto your MT for way too long there and that will kill your time.

Whoa there is so much in this video I did not not aboht this level. I didn't know the little pink strips gave coins, and I also didn't know about that shortcut at the end. Thanks so much!

I'm trying this, and is steering supposed to be completely impossible? Like, holding it like ARMS, and trying to turn it like a steering wheel doesn't really seem to map to turning. Am I doing it wrong?

edit: no, I was wrong. You just hold them normally as opposed to sideways. I don't know why I thought I was holding them sideways when I was playing like that, lmao.

TheMoon

The real question is why are you using any button at all to accelerate?! :)

because when I tried auto-accelerate, I ran into a wall in a weird angle and couldn't back up anymore. :/

How do people recover from attscks so quickly? I hit a guy with a blue shell then 3 red shells and he was at full speed immediately after hit. I don't think he even tumbled around. I was never able to even catch up to him meanwhile I get hit by a blue shell and half the racers can catch up to me and they are so far behind.

it's lag. they don't actually recover this quickly. they possibly never even got hit in their actual game because they were somewhere else.

Since at least Mario Kart 7. Where have you been? :)

with my thumb glued to the (A) button!

Portability really adds to Kart. I've owned every Nintendo console, but this series never grabbed me until now.

I feel like selling this as a home console first is a blunder, this is such an incredible handheld. I didn't even dock it for 2 weeks on a whim. And that's not to say it isn't a fine home console, but it's strength is that it's the most well engineered portable device I've used since the early iPhones.
Completely agreed

Picking up and just having a quick handheld session over worldwide MP is... well, just ridiculously flawless

JoeNut

so i autodownloaded the patch, and now i win every single time in 150cc grand prix..

did they make it easier? i was really struggling to win before it.

Go online -> you are now spectating -> Lap 1/3 -> Select Race -> start race -> disconnect immediately ->rejoin -> you are now spectating -> lap 1/3

yep, this is killing the game for me

Forkball

I switched from Triforce Tires to the Roller and I'm really liking it. The top speed is slow, but the handling and mini turbos make up for it. I feel like I can recover much more quickly and make less mistakes.

ps SNES Rainbow Road is awful and should be patch out of the game OUT OF OF THE GAME

Sapiens

I switched from Triforce Tires to the Roller and I'm really liking it. The top speed is slow, but the handling and mini turbos make up for it. I feel like I can recover much more quickly and make less mistakes.

ps SNES Rainbow Road is awful and should be patch out of the game OUT OF OF THE GAME

Love SNES RR - always vote for it when it shows up. So much fun.

When you play Regional, how does it determine who you are matched with? Is it completely random? I thought it was based on points, but I have 1000 and got put in a room of all 3000+

Berordn

When you play Regional, how does it determine who you are matched with? Is it completely random? I thought it was based on points, but I have 1000 and got put in a room of all 3000+

Probably still points, but since Regional removes a good chunk of potential players to go against it has fewer to choose from and just settles for what it can get to fill a room.

chekhonte

I ended up with a sealed copy of MK8 Deluxe that I should just sell. What is it worth now that there's no longer the prime deal on it? What's a fair price?

moeman

Bought this game physical but really wish I had bought it digital. Amazon discount was too good to pass up but I feel like I'll always want to play this game in short bursts. I wonder whether I should sell the physical copy and buy digital now or wait and see if there will ever be a sale on this game in the eshop 🤔

Roo

Bought this game physical but really wish I had bought it digital. Amazon discount was too good to pass up but I feel like I'll always want to play this game in short bursts. I wonder whether I should sell the physical copy and buy digital now or wait and see if there will ever be a sale on this game in the eshop 🤔

g2vpUPq.gif

Pastry

Banned
Finally got golden Mario, the kart and the wheels. Just like 2,000 more coins and I'll have the glider. Felt like the time trials were the hardest part for me. Put around 45 hours into the game and about 95% of it has been single player.

Lyng

I have a issue. When my wife and I play with the joy cons detached mine (right one) keeps making me turn left, as if it's stuck or something. But it's not in every race. Anyone else experienced something like that?

TheMoon

I have a issue. When my wife and I play with the joy cons detached mine (right one) keeps making me turn left, as if it's stuck or something. But it's not in every race. Anyone else experienced something like that?

Turn off motion controls and/or smart steering. You have it turned on. Even if you think you don't, go and turn it off. :)

When does a blue shell lock on? I was just in a race where the person in front of me stopped because they saw a blue shell on the map, and let me take first. I quickly stopped once I realized, and people started passing me; I was in fifth place by the time the blue shell came, and it still hit me.

TheMoon

When does a blue shell lock on? I was just in a race where the person in front of me stopped because they saw a blue shell on the map, and let me take first. I quickly stopped once I realized, and people started passing me; I was in fifth place by the time the blue shell came, and it still hit me.

It's tough to tell. Don't know if there's math out the for it. When I try to brake, it's more that I want the others passing me to be caught in the blast, not necessarily hoping it locks onto #2. But it might also be that it only changes targets once so you can't keep passing it down like a hot potato.

Shahadan

I guess I should just take the hit and sell my copy :(

How much did you pay for it? From what I gather on amazon used copies sell pretty close to full price.

Then just buy the digital code on amazon.jp for 46€ ($51? not sure) and voila. I doubt you'd lose money actually, lol (well unless you sell yours on amazon since they take a fee)

OmegaFax

I went back and played the Wii U version after a year and a half. I forgot what combo I used in the original game ... then I realized they nerfed the Triforce Bike/Wheel/Kite combo in MK8 Deluxe.

Going back and playing the Wii U version reminded me how much I like the analog sticks and size of the buttons on the GamePad vs. the Joy-Cons. It may push me over into getting a Pro controller for my Switch one day.

Lynd7

I'm still finding the item scroll mucks up in single player. It's a minor thing, but it bugs me, still no reason I can see.

Top Bottom