• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

neoism

Wait... what?

VNOh0.gif

yep I perfer 30 to 60....

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Please spin this in a positive light HaloGAF. I know the so-called perks need clarification but I didn't know until now that those unlocks included weapons and armor abilities.

All weapons can and will be available "normally" in the sandbox in Campaign and or MP - depending on game mode. "Unlock" and loadout info will come in the weeks and months ahead. But I wouldn't worry about it. Be like freaking out because you start with Snipers in Team Snipers.

Obviously we have a lot of features and content to explain - some stuff we haven't even touched on. But the main band aid has already been ripped off. I suspect that most news from hereon out (with occasional rage diversions) will be good news for the vast majority of players and styles of players.

ANd I swear I am going to name that Mech Kyle.

Computron

I'm counting on non-locked 30fps and framerate stutters here and there. Wouldn't Halo without it. Prove me wrong 343.

Uh?

it's allways been locked to no higher than 30 fps. Every game thus far except the PC versions.

Unlocking only ever makes sense if you're higher than 60, and even then it can have negative effects on some oversensitive eyes picking up fluctuation and unnecessary power consumption.

neoism

All weapons can and will be available "normally" in the sandbox in Campaign and or MP - depending on game mode. "Unlock" and loadout info will come in the weeks and months ahead. But I wouldn't worry about it. Be like freaking out because you start with Snipers in Team Snipers.

Obviously we have a lot of features and content to explain - some stuff we haven't even touched on. But the main band aid has already been ripped off. I suspect that most news from hereon out (with occasional rage diversions) will be good news for the vast majority of players and styles of players.

thisisneogaf.png

zap

I agree with Kyle. The best multiplayer environments are simple, clean, colourful and easy to navigate.

The Pit compared to Warhouse is a great example.

FL1Psyde

Neo Member
What country are you posting from and what’s your current age.
U.S., and I'm 28

At what age did you get into Halo and with which game.
21, H2, going to my buddies to pre game before going to the bars, he was playing this game i had no clue about, he asked me if i wanted to play, lets just say the 3 of us didn't go to the bar that night lol

For how long have you been reading HaloGAF?
+/- 6 months

What’s your absolute favorite Halo campaign? And your favorite multiplayer?
Halo CE, Halo 2

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.
50 TS, MLG, Dubs.

AR or BR?
BR

Absolute favorite multiplayer map from Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and 3 (just one from each).
Chillout, Midship, Construct

Least hated Reach mp map.(excluding Anniversary pack)
Sword Base

Games completed on solo Legendary.
all

What are some of your favorite Campaign missions.
don't remember names of missions :(

Favorite Reach playlists.
MLG NBNS

Opinion on reticule bloom.
if it would of worked right, I would of liked it I think

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you usually end up picking.
terrible idea

Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite (besides Dax)
CyReN since he told me about this place

MrBig

What? Halo 3 or Reach doesn't look any better than COD imo. COD has way more insanity going on at all times with chopper gunners and dogs and rockets going off and all sorts of nonsense too. Halo stumbles while rendering grey blocks on a green field.

I'm some way through the MW3 (just crashed from an airplane) campaign, playing at 1920x1080, 4x AA, every setting maxed out, and at a vsync locked 60 FPS. It looks good but I feel like there isn't a single texture above 512x512, and that is still so obviously tied to the ancient visual engine it is built from. I like it but to say it is visually as impressive Halo... I don't know how anyone could technically come to that conclusion. They have to sacrifice so much in order to retain the 60 fps lock on consoles its just not worth it.
In my opinion, quite honestly, don't be gaming on consoles if you expect to keep up with the latest visual trends.

I agree with Kyle. The best multiplayer environments are simple, clean, colourful and easy to navigate.

So, in essence, we should stick to plain simple geometry right? Don't even colour them, just shlap 'em in there.

FyreWulff

I know I am about 10 pages late to the party here, but Jeremiah and Urk specifically told us that it was Win/Loss ONLY that counted. Ratings were kept in as an indicator as to how well you played that day. If you win, but have a lower rating than everyone else, you still won. You (should) rank up eventually doing that.

In Juices' case, the game hasn't matched him against top players for unknown (trueskill) reasons - so he is only in Gold still.

I'm sure Fyre has a copy of the posts about Arena (were they on Optimatch?), but I am 99% sure ratings mean nothing now.

Nope, only thing I backed up was the changelogs.. everything else is lost to time. (Although if you last posted in Optimatch, posts in there still show up in your search history)

http://fyrewulff.com/fdc/node/20

The update you'd be looking for:

March 1st, 2011
PLAYLISTS

General
* Team Arena, Doubles Arena and FFA Arena have all been removed

The Arena (New!)
* New 4v4 Team Slayer playlist featuring Arena rankings
* TrueSkill calculations based on win/loss, not individual player ratings
* Play 4 games for a qualifying day, 5 qualifying days to place in a Division
* After placing in a Division, check your standing in that Division using your in-game Service Record, it updates daily
* Moved to the "Competitive" playlist category
* Seasons are now 3 months long
* Division distribution is now more even, but Onyx is still top %5

kylej

Banned
I'm some way through the MW3 (just crashed from an airplane) campaign, playing at 1920x1080, 4x AA, every setting maxed out, and at a vsync locked 60 FPS. It looks good but I feel like there isn't a single texture about 512x512, and that is still so obviously tied to the visual engine it is tied to. I like it but to say it is visually as impressive Halo... I don't know how anyone could technically come to that conclusion.

90% of the time when I'm playing Reach MP, I'm looking at this

Halo_Reach_Forge_Genome.jpg

so maybe technically Halo is superior, but it still looks and runs like poop to me.

hype level after this and high res screens....

back over 9000

Fuchsdh

But you can have expressive multiplayer maps that are still easy to navigate. My issues with the Reach campaign -> multi maps is that they have lots of "dummy" spaces as it were--areas on Powerhouse where there's no real reason to go to save for a weapon that forces a type of map flow that isn't as natural. Maps should circulate constantly.

Not saying that simple isn't good, however. That's why I've always appreciated the Halo/Forerunner aesthetic. Clean, geometric lines that contrast nicely with objectives and team colors (and yes, the dreaded grey.)

And the Elites and Grunts thus far look horrible to me. The armor is odd and their texturing looks off and doesn't mesh with everything we've seen before (they've been described as sharklike most of the time, I imagined their skin matched.) That's my take at least.

I've gone from freaking out to curious, which is always a good thing. Thanks for providing just enough info to turn the tide.

depending on game mode...
*puff*
riddles in the dark...
*puff*
my precious.

Kuroyume

Banned
I can't help but feel as though as the lifecycle of the 360 goes on, the chances of getting stable frames decreases. The way they are squeezing every drop out of the system really doesn't look to me as though they can guarantee a solid FPS.

I'm sure there are developers out there that can pull it off if they wanted to. I just don't think there has ever been a Halo game (outside of H2 Vista) where the developers sat down and put 60fps or stable framerate as one of their targets. Maybe 343 did? Doubt it.

H4 is pretty but I'm not totally blown away by it yet. The first video was impressive, and I thought the scans looked great but the screens from the digital issue don't look as good as I thought. Don't see why a stable 30 would be impossible juding from these sceens.

Btw, why are they using the old AR model? Is it because a few people were complaining about the Reach AR? The AR in 4 looks so out of place. Very archaic low detail looking thing clashing with this new highly detailed MC suit. The complaints about the AR's visual design in Reach never made any sense to me. Always chalked it up to people who bitched about Reach just bitching about it because it's something Reach introduced. Oh, because it's Reach we have to hate every single thing about Reach even if it has nothing to do with the gameplay. Absurd. If that had nothing to do with them ditching Reach's design then they should have made a new one.

zap

I swear every post you make hypes me more than a video.

Uh?

it's allways been locked to no higher than 30 fps. Every game thus far except the PC versions.

Unlocking only ever makes sense if you're higher than 60, and even then it can have negative effects on some oversensitive eyes picking up fluctuation and unnecessary power consumption.

I'm betting he means that even though they will lock the framerate at 30fps, we will see plenty of stutters where the framerate drops substantially (Reach - see Asylum Snipe-Snipe scoped in).

Nope, only thing I backed up was the changelogs.. everything else is lost to time. (Although if you last posted in Optimatch, posts in there still show up in your search history)

http://fyrewulff.com/fdc/node/20

The update you'd be looking for:

March 1st, 2011
PLAYLISTS

General
* Team Arena, Doubles Arena and FFA Arena have all been removed

The Arena (New!)
* New 4v4 Team Slayer playlist featuring Arena rankings
* TrueSkill calculations based on win/loss, not individual player ratings
* Play 4 games for a qualifying day, 5 qualifying days to place in a Division
* After placing in a Division, check your standing in that Division using your in-game Service Record, it updates daily
* Moved to the "Competitive" playlist category
* Seasons are now 3 months long
* Division distribution is now more even, but Onyx is still top %5

Thanks, I knew you'd have it somewhere :p

neoism

This is the guy who liked the heavier player movement, inertia, long kill times, sprint, etc. in Reach.

nope I just hate walking.. that's what you did in 3... I do loove inertia.. Bloom is something I'm not going to miss. I do just fine on 85% bloom though, but SPRINT is my lover... I love it so much in Reach and it being in 4 just like I wanted it is wonderful. You're a spartan you should be able to run whenever. And yes for shooters I prefer 30 fps, my eyes are fucked up though so that is probably why. I have like 25/50...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

please post more impressions of warhouse.

Mayyhem

Are you a very recently approved member of neogaf?

Nope. Figured I'd do this because I've been lurking HaloGAF for a long while now but haven't posted much at all. The recent meltdown due to GameInformers Halo 4 information being leaked was hilarious and too good of a time to start posting.

What country are you posting from and what’s your current age.

Canada. 20.

At what age did you get into Halo and with which game.

Halo 1. 11 years old, damn... did not realize I was that young when all that started. I have fond memories of playing Halo 1 LAN in my building at the time, and using system link to connect from my (My parents of course) apartment to my neighbors (friends) apartment. The cable going through the apartment hallways was pretty hilarious. Good times, but hard to believe that I was 11-14 years old when all of that happen. Time flies.

For how long have you been reading HaloGAF?

Couple of years now, I think. Yeah, I lurk hard, not sure why I never started actively posting sooner. Better late than never, I suppose.

What’s your absolute favorite Halo campaign? And your favorite multiplayer? (you’re not allowed to pick Halo: Combat Evolved for any of the two)

Favorite campaign? Halo: Reach. Favorite multiplayer? Some days I'd answer Halo 3, some days I'll answer Halo 2. Its that close. Lets go with Halo 3 for today.

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.

50. MLG, Team Slayer, Team Snipers, Team SWAT, Team Doubles.

AR or BR?

burr

Absolute favorite multiplayer map from Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and 3 (just one from each).

CE: Hang Em High Halo 2: Sanctuary Halo 3: The Pit

Least hated Reach mp map.(excluding Anniversary pack)

Zealot, I guess. Jesus, answering this question really made me realize how truly bad the maps are in Reach. Outside of Anniversary, of course.

Do you prefer BTB or MLG? (pre-Reach era)

MLG

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?

Competitive Multiplayer

Games completed on solo Legendary.

CE, 2, 3, ODST, Reach

Are you EazyB? Mike DongBlain?

No.

What are some of your favorite Campaign missions.

Something about "Two Betrayals" from CE, but it always stuck with me.

Favorite Reach playlists.

MLG.

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).

n/a

Opinion on reticule bloom.

gtfo

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you usually end up picking.

gtfo - sprint (fuck sprint though)

Why are you a Halo fan?

No other game even comes close in terms of satisfaction from Multiplayer. The story of Halo has always been mysteriously intriguing (even with the exception of some bad choices in previous games), and has always made me excited for more. Externally; I grew up playing it.

Anyways, opted out of the last two (optional) questions. Don't want to bore you guys any longer. Looking forward to posting more in HaloGAF threads, I for one know I'll be a Halo fan and supporter until the end of the franchise. Something about NeoGAF and HaloGAF in particular that always has me coming back for more, feels "homey" I guess. Needless to say, your a cool bunch of dudes.

Fuchsdh

Btw, why are they using the old AR model? Is it because a few people were complaining about the Reach AR? The AR in 4 looks so out of place. Very archaic low detail looking thing clashing with this new highly detailed MC suit. The complaints about the AR's visual design in Reach never made any sense to me. Always chalked it up to people who bitched about Reach just bitching about it because it's something Reach introduced. Oh, because it's Reach we have to hate every single thing about Reach even if it has nothing to do with the gameplay. Absurd. If that had nothing to do with them ditching Reach's design then they should have made a new one.

I'm happy to take every scrap of attention to continuity I can get. The Assault Rifle's only issue is that it had an odd plastic sheen.

As to why all the Elites and Grunts look drastically different when the Covenant's war materiel production is shot to hell...

*looks to Frankie quizzically*

neoism

It is just more detailed... He is really going to hate next-gen when everything is really detailed, more than 4 by probably 10x.

daedalius

I'm happy to take every scrap of attention to continuity I can get. The Assault Rifle's only issue is that it had an odd plastic sheen.

As to why all the Elites and Grunts look drastically different when the Covenant's war materiel production is shot to hell...

*looks to Frankie quizzically*

They probably aren't with the 'covenant' since its basically been dissolved.

They are probably rogue/pirate elites with some grunt underlings who've stumbled upon your vessel.

Arnie

So, in essence, we should stick to plain simple geometry right? Don't even colour them, just shlap 'em in there.

Not at all, but Kyle makes an excellent point.

There are ways to make environments look pretty without throwing in hundreds of superfluous decorators like cameras, handrails and mechs. These things don't add to the gameplay and may in fact detract from it.

One of the biggest improvements, engine wise, from the early glimpses we've had is the lighting system. The Pit is a map that heavily relies on light to orient the player in the playable space, and so imagine a revamped version of The Pit with improved godrays and shadows like we've already witnessed in Warhouse and Wraparound.

The thing that needs reiterating is that we'll play these maps, hopefully, hundreds of times. Each successive time we play these maps we'll stop seeing decorators and superfluous art assets and begin seeing blocks, and ramps and ledges. We won't stop during a match one month from launch and marvel at the monolithic KYLE6D in awe. What's more than likely is we'll curse these things if they block our natural instinct to play with the Halo sandbox.

It's worth noting that Warhouse features some crisp, flat surfaces to propel grenades off, so I take it 343 are already conscious of what we're saying. Hopefully. A short acknowledgment of these issues would act as a nice nightcap though.

zap

I said colourful. Simple geometry isn't necessary, but we don't need tons of details that add nothing, just convolute the experience.

I personally would have prefered 5 Halo 1/2 detailed maps with different themes/colours than 5 ForgeWorld maps.

I'm going to do the worst possible thing and speculate. Unlocks mean that you can mix and match weapons and armor abilities that are available in pre-set load outs to being with. Allowing you to better adopt a specific play style.

What about an invasion-esque gametype that is a persistent experience? Like unlocking weapons and everything as part of a team that you are assigned early on for a 'season'. CoD-style upgrades if you want, meant to be a set of tactical skirmishes as part of a battles as a whole. I dunno, I'm making this up as I go. Could appeal to a wide audience if done right.

Yes I agree. After playing Warhouse I realized what a mess it is to navigate. And DAT mech just creates too much frame late when sniping from a distance.

Seeing screenshots and videos gives me that impression.

Plus, I have played way too much Orbital, which has the same aesthetic.

Overdoziz

Banned
It is just more detailed... He is really going to hate next-gen when everything is really detailed, more than 4 by probably 10x.
Something like Blackout isn't just more detailed. They added dumb railings and all kinds of things sticking out without good reason. Looks the same on Warhouse.

Kuroyume

Banned

It's crazy how much better Lockout looks compared to Blackout. No, it's not rose tinted glasses. The textures are low res and the map is a simple design but the colors are so nice. Blackout out on the other hand kind of looks nice but is also ugly. They need to move away from grey/metallic colors/rust. That should be a challenge 343 should take. Cut down on using metallic surfaces on the map. We've already seen one map that is just covered in it so they really should stop there. No one likes these abandoned factories/garbage dumps/oil refineries. Enough already. :p

neoism

... and when more games will play at 60fps ;P
yeah I'm sure 6 will be 60 at that point the next console will definitely be strong enough. Still I think halo is a 30fps game, it fits better. I don't even hate 60fps.. My Pc can play anything, everything I play is 60 But for halo not so sure.

feel

It's neoism guys, don't act surprised :p

Rock my world Frank. I want to believe that you guys can make armour abilities, sprint and loadouts work out.

Also what else would you name in the game after halogaffers?

neoism

Not at all, but Kyle makes an excellent point.

There are ways to make environments look pretty without throwing in hundreds of superfluous decorators like cameras, handrails and mechs. These things don't add to the gameplay and may in fact detract from it.

One of the biggest improvements, engine wise, from the early glimpses we've had is the lighting system. The Pit is a map that heavily relies on light to orient the player in the playable space, and so imagine a revamped version of The Pit with improved godrays and shadows like we've already witnessed in Warhouse and Wraparound.

The thing that needs reiterating is that we'll play these maps, hopefully, hundreds of times. Each successive time we play these maps we'll stop seeing decorators and superfluous art assets and begin seeing blocks, and ramps and ledges. We won't stop during a match one month from launch and marvel at the monolithic KYLE6D in awe. What's more than likely is we'll curse these things if they block our natural instinct to play with the Halo sandbox.

It's worth noting that Warhouse features some crisp, flat surfaces to propel grenades off, so I take it 343 are already conscious of what we're saying. Hopefully. A short acknowledgment of these issues would act as a nice nightcap though.
How is better graphics/more detail an issue.

Top Bottom