• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

I was messing around with DSR, so here's a 5K shot resized to 1440p. This was running at ~20fps with MSAA disabled on a GTX 1080, so for people who are playing the intro sequence happily at 4K you should maybe get ready to turn down your resolution.

nier_5k_by_realghostvids-db2mg6z.jpg

---

Has anyone else had the game forget their options upon relaunching it? It remembered my graphics settings but I had to adjust the sound and controls again.

The prerendered cutscenes don't run consistently at 30. They hitch up and stutter a ton.

Not worth playing through such a story heavy game right now if that's how they're going to act up.

Yeah, the cutscene thing is fucked up. For a game like this, it's really hard to deal with.

Even Drakengard 3 had smooth cutscenes.

My thoughts exactly. It is imperative that they fix the cutscene playback on PC if we are to have a fully enjoyable gameplay experience on PC.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
That game runs..... quite bad.

980TI/7600k here and even in 1080p it has framedrops. In 4K it runs at around 30fps and lower...

Folks in this thread have had fine performance with that setup so there must be something up.

Do you have MSAA on high? That's been killing frames for people.

Are you sure you're not getting the full screen resolution bug? I had the game set to full screen 1080p, but it most certainly did not look like 1080p. Running it in a borderless 1080p window is the fix I've used now.
Oh no... I think you're right. Do I have to get that Borderless Gaming program, then? My system doesn't like borderless either, so I'll probably be losing frames this way. I hope they fix this eventually.

Shengar

Looks like the game run badly on Nvidia card from what I've seen. My 280x seems able to run it pretty smoothly with 4x AA, 16x Texture Filtering @1080p. While someone with the equivalent of the Nvidia seems barely able to run it.

eDIT: Oh crap, it's actually only 2xAA. Higher than that and my FPS tanked like titanic.

Moaradin

Yeah, the pop-in is weird and way worse than the base PS4 version. Hopefully that can get fixed. Otherwise, the game is running real well for me.

Zomba13

Ok. So I managed to get past the first chainsaw arm by only using my main monitor (Display 1) and not using the Borderless Gaming or my TV. Fullscreen worked and seemed to be 1680x1050 but the Steam overlay was definitely blurry. I'll try again on my TV tomorrow and see if it'll let me play for more than 10 minutes without crashing.

Tried turning some settings down? It's not as performing as nicely as I expected but hasn't been unplayable, though I wouldn't call it a good port with all of those cutscene framepacing issues either.

Unplayable for me didn't have anything to do with the settings. Even on all low I was still getting drops, but the unplayable part was how it kept crashing, kept not showing fullscreen correctly, kept losing my TV resolutions after crashing meaning I had to toggle the display back to my monitor, reset, back in, back to TV, reset, back to 1080p with borderless gaming only for it to crash 10 minutes later after beating the chainsaw arm again.

At 1680x1050 I'm still getting drops, seems to be 50+. I can live with that though. I'm ok with that. I'd be fine at 1600x900, Full Screen on my TV at that level. But it keeps crashing on my TV.

Gbraga

Oh no... I think you're right. Do I have to get that Borderless Gaming program, then? My system doesn't like borderless either, so I'll probably be losing frames this way. I hope they fix this eventually.

I've seen people saying that setting the game to windowed and then hitting alt tab fixed it for them in Fullscreen Mode.

Okay guys, I'm stuck in The Bunker. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to get out of here. Help. Also, why does the character move around when in the menus? Whenever I open up the computer in her room on The bunker and start looking at items, she moves until she's so far away from the computer that I can't close the menu anymore forcing me to restart the game.

Also, smooth 60fps on my 3440x1440 setup, everything maxed except AA which I set to 4x.

CHC

Sounds pretty crappy for now. I'm sure they'll tidy it up, but I can say that for the time being I'm in no rush to purchase.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So just to clarify, this game won't run at the selected resolution in full screen? If so, what the fuck is that about?

It seems fullscreen mode is actually 900p upscaled, which is an understandable faux pas given said resolution matches that of the base PS4. Windowed mode functions as you'd expect, however, so I'm sure Squeenix will push out a hotfix.

I've seen people saying that setting the game to windowed and then hitting alt tab fixed it for them in Fullscreen Mode.
Can't get it to work... that kind of explains why my framerate counter is so blurry, too. I like this game too much to put it away though, so I'll probably just put up with 900p for now. No way I'll bother with borderless, though. There's already a noticeable drop in frames when using windowed at 900p vs fullscreen at 900p. Can't imagine how much it would hurt to mix that with a 1080p resolution.

I too am suffering from White Screen Syndrome....I've tried two runs before it does it, I don't have the heart to keep trying until a fix is known. Disappointed but I'm hopeful it can be fixed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fuck... Is the PC version bad? Fuck fuck fuck

No. The fullscreen problem is but a faint inconvenience at worst. I mean, the issue shouldn't exist, but it's easily bypassed and something Platinum can all the more easily fix.

Fuck... Is the PC version bad? Fuck fuck fuck
I wouldn't say it's bad, but it definitely isn't a clean launch. As long as SE/Platinum don't bail on patching it (Idk their track record in that regard), it should be fine soon. Not an excuse for a funky launch, I know. Still, the game itself is really good! I almost want to give it a pass on these issues, eheh.

V_Arnold

No. The fullscreen problem is but a faint inconvenience at worst. I mean, the issue shouldn't exist, but it's easily bypassed and something Platinum can all the more easily fix.

That looks all fun and dandy, but a sizable amount of us cant even play the game because of the white screen crash.

Port isn't perfect

But the port is GOOD.

It generally performs well and it generally looks great.

Overreacting is just going to misinform people.

Umm, what about the pop-in people are experiencing that is worse than the PS4 version?

Port isn't perfect

But the port is GOOD.

It generally performs well and it generally looks great.

Overreacting is just going to misinform people.

Or underreacting is going to misinform people and sour them on the game when they have to try to deal with issues that they wish they had been told about...

Mechazawa

Between the pop-in, cutscenes and fullscreen thing(I effectively can't play this game on my main monitor unless I want to bite the 900p bullet or play the game in a smaller window) I definitely wouldn't call this a good port right now.

People should definitely hold off until a solid round of patches.

maskrider

Finally feel the age of my PC with this one, I am on a stock i5-2500, 16GB RAM (6 years already) and a GTX 970 (upgraded last Feb).

To maintain 5xfps on 1080p, AA has to be off, shadow has to be medium, blur off. Texture filtering doesn't seem to affect much.

Ha ha ha ! Time to get a Kaby lake and a 1070.

And BTW, the pop-in is very noticeable comparing to the PS4 version (I had spent > 100 hours and done 100% of everything in PS4 version before playing this PC version).

I am going to not overreact the moment I can play the game that I bought.
On your configuration maybe.

On others it runs bad. With a 980TI and 7600k I dont expect constant framedrops in 1080p...
Or underreacting is going to misinform people and sour them on the game when they have to try to deal with issues that they wish they had been told about...
There is a middle ground, you know. Being informative and not go into 'bad port' hyperbole mode.

It's day one and a PC port. There's always going to be issues. Let's stick to the facts.

mxgt

Banned
Running 3440x1440, max settings except 2x AA and I haven't seen it drop below 60 except for once in about 1hr 30 mins of play

I actually cannot believe this game has decent 21:9 support, but I love it.

Top Bottom