• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 pulled from Steam Store, [Move To New Thread, See Last Post For Link]

Status
Not open for further replies.
bangai-o said:
this is ridiculous.

the Steam fanboys i mean.

Some people just aren't getting it. We use Steam to manage our games (I have like 100+ on it, and that's probably nothing compared to others here...) and to play with friends. You know...like a friends list?

Imagine having to sign in to 3 different accounts when you turn on your 360 or PS3 or whatever you may have when playing 3 separate games. It would not only be inconvenient, it would be stupid.

Do I expect EA as a company to want to make money? Yes, I do. But they are going to lose sales on BF3 and other games that they don't make available on Steam, in a lame and futile attempt to try to compete with a platform that would only help their PC sales at this point. Which they very much need if they really do want to try to take audience away from MW3. Now is not the time to try these stupid stunts when they finally have Call of Duty by the balls.

venne

scorpscarx said:
Venne I don't get your angle other than the fact that your stating the obvious. I mean...

I don't understand why people are making a big deal out of this. It's like EA kicked their dog.

JaxJag

Banned
Does Valve sell their games on any other digital platforms?

Or are we not throwing a fit over that, because they're Valve?

Goon Boon

Banned
JaxJag said:

Read the thread and read the responses to the other handful of guys who said what you said verbatim.

sflufan

Banned
JaxJag said:

No, they don't, but that's not (or shouldn't be) the issue.

The issue is that EA (allegedly) pulled the game from Steam, but is still selling it on every other DD service. If it were solely an Origin exclusive, then there is no issue.

Smash88

Banned
coopolon said:

You realize you can run a lot of games by going to their folders and starting by .exe files? Most of the games do not actually require Steam, for your "magical" permission.

You claim, no client, yet Impulse is a client, and so is Origin.... Your logical is flawed I'm afraid.

If you feel comfortable in using many clients and DD's then by all means go for it, but to say Steam is not as good, or doesn't offer some services better is a blatant lie.

Acosta

coopolon said:
No client is a feature. I want to be able to run the games when I want, where I want, how I want and I don't want to ahve to ask permission every time I want to launch the game. I also want to be able to be playing a game I bought on one machine while my wife plays a game I bought on another machine at the same time without having to make sure everything is activated and set up before hand.

And when I consider "ease of use", I think about how many obstacles I have to get over to get the game running correctly. GoG has everyone beat by a mile. Impulse, Steam, and Origin are identical.

I run Steam in three different computers and it gives me zero problems to run my games "when I want, where I want, how I want", or I would have removed Steam long time ago.

And about the "ease of use":

Steam: I go to Menu, select Steam library, execute the game, and the game starts.
GoG: I go to Menu, select GOG directory, execute the game, and the game starts.

Night and day indeed.

Corto

JaxJag said:

They have a privileged situation where they produce/create the games and have the means to distribute them digitally to their audience directly without any intermediary eating a slice of the pie. Why would they sell their games on other DD?

szaromir

Banned
HK-47 said:
No it tell you that the other services arent good enough for me to bother with 5 different websites and clients. GOG is its own niche and they do actually offer some pluses over steam like drm free and constant updates to make the games run on modern os. but they also dont have things like chat, the overlay, or the wide selection steam has. They also do things that I like Valve for like free dlc and good game support.

Also I cant believe you have much of an increased boot time using steam. My shitty laptop doesnt have the problems you seem to have.
Then buy exclusively on Steam. Just don't get surprised that you won't be able to get everything on Steam. I honestly don't care about Steam community features, the overlay is slow and inconvenient, Steam's DRM is also the one that caused me the most inconveniences so far. Steam is overall a nice service, but I am not going to rage out when I have to visit Origin or B.NET or other DD Store if I want to play the game because experience of playing the game is far more important than the superficial client/webpage I use to download the game.

Jin

szaromir said:
They still have DRM and are (in most cases) twice as expensive as retail. Not exactly reasons to scream of joy.

Where do you live?

In the US the games are always cheaper on Steam. This year I've pre-order three games that were $5 cheaper than retail.

sflufan said:
Uhhhhhh -- let's not go THAT far!

It was an exaggeration but I think you know what I mean. MW3 will sell better no matter how good BF3 is. It's still silly to try stupid shit like this at such a critical point in BF3's possible market penetration.

cicero

coopolon said:
In my person experience the ease of use argument is no longer true.When using Impulse, Origin, and GoG I find they all offer experiences that rival Steam's (and improve on it in some places.) And D2D isn't that far behind.

And it also doesn't even have the best sales anymore. Hell, D2D has their own sales, and they'll price match any Steam sale on top of that.

Certainly the one that has the most features though (screen shots, cloud saves, community features, time tracking when it works, etc). And obviously the strongest history, and because of that history it's where a lot of people are already invested.

Edit: Actually, I misunderstood the D2D price matching. They don't price match sales, only regular prices, which renders it useless.
The ease of use for me comes down to service, reliability, cheapness, and the least amount of work to access my library. Having it spread across more and more services is not ease of use for me.

JaxJag

Banned
Corto said:
They have a privileged situation where they produce/create the games and have the means to distribute them digitally to their audience directly without any intermediary eating a slice of the pie. Why would they sell their games on other DD?

And why should EA since they have their own platform?

coopolon

Alright, so used to be able to backup the Game Installers from EA Download Manager. And then you could always install without EADM. Great feature that I've been hyping up a lot in this thread and others. Today I was making sure this still worked after they updated to Origin.

And it doesn't work anymore. Back in December they got rid of this feature by changing over to a new seamless installer.

So that really sucks. I still like that you can run the games without the client, but being unable to install the games without the client really makes Origin a lot less appealing. At least with Steam you backup the files and the majority of the time install from the backup instead of having to download.

Acosta said:
I run Steam in three different computers and it gives me zero problems to run my games "when I want, where I want, how I want", or I would have removed Steam long time ago.

And about the "ease of use":

Steam: I go to Menu, select Steam library, execute the game, and the game starts.
GoG: I go to Menu, select GOG directory, execute the game, and the game starts.

Night and day indeed.

I have several old games on Steam that either don't work period, or only work if I go through a lot of work to fix them. GoG games just work on install. That is what I meant by going through hoops to get games to work.

How do you get steam running simultaneously on three different computers without getting booted off one when the other goes online?

ShinNL

I personally like Steam not because of most of the features mentioned in this thread, but because all my games are together. If I have to deal with multiple DD clients, it's almost as annoying as having to look for all my CD-ROMs / DVDs again when I want to do a fresh install.

I'm gonna wait for Crysis 2 to return on Steam or I'll just skip it.

The only games on a different service that I would touch are Blizzard games. I wouldn't put EA published games on the same level as Blizzard games.

szaromir

Banned
Hadoken said:
Where do you live?

In the US the games are always cheaper on Steam. This year I've pre-order three games that were $5 cheaper than retail.
Poland.

To keep an example of an EA game - Dead Space 2 on Steam - €50, Origin - €37,5, retail - €25. So yeah, EA is keeping the "good" competition by offering the game on Steam and keeping the game cheaper on Origin. OTOH I can't buy Portal 2 on D2D or GG.

Jin

venne said:
I don't understand why people are making a big deal out of this. It's like EA kicked their dog.

My concern is whether I will still get updates or DX11 patch for Crysis 2 that I purchase on Steam.

szaromir said:
Poland.

To keep an example of an EA game - Dead Space 2 on Steam - €50, Origin - €37,5, retail - €25. So yeah, EA is keeping the "good" competition by offering the game on Steam and keeping the game cheaper on Origin. OTOH I can't buy Portal 2 on D2D or GG.

Wow, I wouldn't buy anything from Steam either. Why the hell are the prices from Steam so high in Europe?

Meh! Competition is GOOD.

Just because Steam is a dominant player with a relatively unrestrictive DRM doesn't mean you should blindly trust them to remain this way indefinitely.... the more competitors there are, the less likely it is that Valve abuse their dominance which can only be a good thing.

Besides, I imagine even with physical copies of Battlefield 3, users will be forced into installing Origin alongside the game - which is no different to how Valve handled HL2.

I think Steam is a good service, and like everyone else I love the sales. I am however, acutely aware of my overall lack of rights regarding that service, and it's a little disconcerting to see so much rampant Valve fanboyism in this thread, especially when EA are doing nothing that has not been done before.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Everyone who makes the blind "Steam fans troll" has never made real use of the community features or plays games with friends.

Hadoken said:
My concern is whether I will still get updates or DX11 patch for Crysis 2 that I purchase on Steam.
3 months after Origin, if they remember us. I mean how dare we act entitled to patches.

hamchan

Lame, steam is easily the best DD service. It would be cool if Origin became better than Steam so we can have some real competition but as of now they're just forcing consumers to use a worse service. I'll still buy their games if they're good, it's just more inconvenient for me.

Smash88

Banned
coopolon said:
I have several old games on Steam that either don't work period, or only work if I go through a lot of work to fix them. GoG games just work on install. That is what I meant by going through hoops to get games to work.

How do you get steam running simultaneously on three different computers without getting booted off one when the other goes online?

GoG games are old, and have had fixed patches attached to them to work in the latest windows installments. Steam games are usually release within the past 5-6 years, have problems, and are very driver bitchy. You aren't going through hoops, your computer isn't setup properly, or you have a bad computer.

You use three different accounts.

Everything you are bitching about is so small and minute, it just makes it seem like you are trolling, or trying to go against the crowd so that you garner attention.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Firstly, that BF3 was going to be an Origins exclusive has been obvious for a while. Am I going to use it? Only if I have to, and it's highly probable that BF3 will be integrated with the service. If the game will self run w/o the service, then I don't see a problem. i.e. Problems ahoy.

Now, the history lesson. Steam was created by Valve to get rid of the old ridiculous methods of patching games. It used to be that when an online game was updated, CS in particular, the server admins would have to find the patch and update their servers. Then the players would have to find the patch and update their copies. This led to a stupid situation where servers and players would be constantly out of sync with each other whenever a game was updated. Valve approached several companies asking them to build a system to auto-patch games. Microsoft, Yahoo, etc all rejected them, so Valve build their own.

Fast forward ten years and Steam has become the juggernaut of DD on PC. So much so that the companies that were given the chance to build the system but didn't are now trying to make services to compete with it. It's the delicious irony of it all. Valve took the ball and ran with it and now everyone is pissed that they fumbled it.

At least, unlike Microsoft's shitty GFWL, EA actually has some games to put on their service. But they face a steep hill. Even if, in some unlikely turn of events, they churn out a product that's as good or better than Steam, they'll face the daunting inertia of gamers who have dozens of friends who already use Steam. You see it happen all the time with the 360, for example. A gamer gets their 18th rrod, but buys another 360 because that's where all their friends are and it's familiar.

Someday, Valve will lose their grip and a different service will reign supreme. Consider me skeptical that that day is soon or near. I don't think that forcing people to use your service is a logical inroad into Steam's hold on PC gamers. Better service and services are the best approach. Good luck, EA, you're going to need it.

kamspy

Do people really have a hard time putting non steam shortcuts into their libraries? The people leaning on ease of use make it sound like launching Battlefield 3 will be like underwater welding. FFS, at least EA is showing a lot of interest in PC gaming.

Jarmel

Banned
Is it possible that Valve might kick EA games out on their own? EA is trying to compete with them so why host games for your competitor?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kamspy said:
Do people really have a hard time putting non steam shortcuts into their libraries? The people leaning on ease of use make it sound like launching Battlefield 3 will be like underwater welding. FFS, at least EA is showing a lot of interest in PC gaming.
Let me add all my friends again to another 20 friend limit list, just like in BC2. EA truly loves us.

bahahahaha

Fuck you EA, you went from the ultimate evil to pretty fucking cool, and now you're nipping at Activision's heels in the anti-consumer egg-and-spoon race.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
kamspy said:
Right? I run games I buy on other services through steam all the time. I go where the deals are.

sflufan

Banned
Jarmel said:
Is it possible that Valve might kick EA games out on their own? EA is trying to compete with them so why host games for your competitor?

That would be an INCREDIBLY stupid thing to do so the chances of that being the case are slim-to-none.

Falxix

sflufan said:
I'm 100% certain that you will be able to download Crysis 2 from Valve's content servers. Just because the game isn't in the store doesn't mean that it's not on the content servers.

This. I bought Prey retail a little while ago, punched the key into Steam and I was still able to download and play it despite Prey no longer being listed.

cicero

szaromir said:
It's OK if you like all of that. It's also OK if EA don't want to offer their games there. That's my point. If your first criterion of buying a game is if it's available on Steam, then maybe you should reconsider your hobby.
I own 450+ titles on Steam, why wouldn't I want to keep my experience centered on the best service available, excluding GoG that is? Why would I want to have anything to do with EA again, after purchasing multiple titles that I was informed I would no longer be able to download again unless I bought insurance? EA hasn't earned my trust, Valve has. I choose not to buy games on Steam all the time based on DRM issues, why would I give EA a pass for their new service and refusal to sell on my DD service of choice? I have a huge backlog and no need to go out of my legitimate comfort zone to suckle at the historically corrupt teet of EA. Until they match Valve's conduct and history, I refuse to give them the same benefit of the doubt.

That is just simple common sense, you can stuff your "reconsider your hobby" sentiments.

[/QUOTE]They still have DRM and are (in most cases) twice as expensive as retail. Not exactly reasons to scream of joy.[/QUOTE]
"twice as expensive as retail" This is just laughable. Steam sales are nowhere near twice as expensive, and if you had actually been an avid user of Steam, which from your repeated anti-Steam comments you so obviously haven't been, you would know that a large chunk of the Steam users proclaim loudly that they only buy on sales to begin with.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Stallion Free said:
Let me add all my friends again to another 20 friend limit list, just like in BC2. EA truly loves us.
So now you expect them to go full-steamworks?

Smash88

Banned
kamspy said:

You do realize, that Origins will be required to run BF3 or ME3, if that is the case. So I would need to run Origins and Steam to run one game. That doesn't make sense.

EA is only showing interest because they see money to be gained, and want a share of what Valve/Steam have. They are trying to copy Valve, and their plans until Q4 2012 to get to where Steam is now, is quite pathetic.

Jarmel

Banned
sflufan said:
That would be an INCREDIBLY stupid thing to do so the chances of that being the case are slim-to-none.

Well I remember a while back there were some issues with preorders and DA2 and someone suggested that EA and Valve weren't getting along for whatever reason and this might be the outcome of that.

coopolon

Smash88 said:
GoG games are old, and have had fixed patches attached to them to work in the latest windows installments. Steam games are usually release within the past 5-6 years, have problems, and are very driver bitchy. You aren't going through hoops, your computer isn't setup properly, or you have a bad computer.

You use three different accounts.

Everything you are bitching about is so small and minute, it just makes it seem like you are trolling, or trying to go against the crowed so that you garner attention.

I'm mostly talking about old games that are also on GoG and work there because GoG took the time make them work and Steam/Steam's partners did not.

Is it really that odd to not want to have three (two in my case) Steam accounts? And what if we buy game A and B on Steam Account 1 and game C and D on Steam Account 2. I'm playing game A, wife wants to play game B, we still accidentally bump each other off. Obviously this is not a huge problem and we still buy tons of games from Steam when it has better prices, but it is an annoyance I don't experience with GoG or Origin.

Edit: and we actually do have two Steam accounts from before we knew each other, but primarily use one.

AppleMIX

Crewnh said:
Don't make me buy the console version of Battlefield 3 EA, goddamn it. I don't want to do it...arhghkaesgi.

I'm probably one of the biggest fans of steam and it's just silly to buy a inferior version of a game just because you have to buy it off a website.

Ploid 3.0

Smash88 said:
You realize you can run a lot of games by going to their folders and starting by .exe files? Most of the games do not actually require Steam, for your "magical" permission.

You claim, no client, yet Impulse is a client, and so is Origin.... Your logical is flawed I'm afraid.

If you feel comfortable in using many clients and DD's then by all means go for it, but to say Steam is not as good, or doesn't offer some services better is a blatant lie.

Wow didn't know this. Going to test this now.

Shogun 2 - Steam login prompt. Bah

Trackmania (free version) - Works. Woo!

Test Drive Unlimited 2 - Works. Awesome.. this surprised me.

Mafia, Dungeon Siege III - don't work. Ok I'll need to make a list of games that work without steam. Sometimes I don't even bother playing the games because I have to launch steam. Feels restricted. I like to just click a icon and go.

Wish Shogun worked as I like to play that the most.

kamspy said:
Yes, I get really annoyed If there is a icon in my list that's out of place with no art, as a designer I get really mad at how ugly it makes my list look.

Corto

JaxJag said:
And why should EA since they have their own platform?

EA can go exclusive. It's their prerogative to do so. But that's not what seems to be happening here. EA is selectively taking out Crysis 2 from Steam the service with the biggest user base of all the DD services but letting other DD stores selling it. From a consumer stand point that's pernicious. As EA is trying to leverage their online store with selective exclusivity and not better deals or better features. And I dread the day when EA makes EA games exclusive to Origin, I can assure you that you'll never see EA offering high profile games for free, selling studio packages at very aggressive prices and allowing international gifting of games, enabling users from countries with huge price disparity to enjoy really good prices on games.

Edit: Just to answer your question more directly. EA should strive to reach the largest audience possible. Taking Crysis 2 from Steam is the precise opposite of that.

sflufan

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
Wow didn't know this. Going to test this now.

Shogun 2 - Steam login prompt. Bah

Trackmania (free version) - Works. Woo!

Test Drive Unlimited 2 - Works. Awesome.. this surprised me.

Mafia, Dungeon Siege III - don't work. Ok I'll need to make a list of games that work without steam. Sometimes I don't even bother playing the games because I have to launch steam. Feels restricted. I like to just click a icon and go.

Wish Shogun worked as I like to play that the most.

The reason why that doesn't work with Shogun II is because it's a Steamworks-enabled game.

spicy cho

Admittedly this sucks. But, let's keep in mind: "Steam>Games>Add a Non-Steam Game To My Library"... You can still use the overlay, still have your friends see what you're playing. This is unfortunate but a box copy is fine with me.

I'll only be buying one game from EA this year anyway. And I will think pretty damn hard about supporting them in the future. They're setting a terrible precedent for others to follow.
A big part of the possible PC platform comeback is steam, and here comes EA to try and fuck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom