• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I'm not sure if "fatigue" would be accepted. If you win a certain number of slams, you can skip any tournament you want without penalty.

it's not slams, you can skip one if you're over 30, one if you have played over 600 matches, and one if you have been on the tour for 12 years. if all three are true, like with federer and nadal, you can skip as many as you want.

it's not slams, you can skip one if you're over 30, one if you have played over 600 matches, and one if you have been on the tour for 12 years. if all three are true, like with federer and nadal, you can skip as many as you want.

Oh its seniority, not merit. That makes sense. I just knew the more accomplished players on tour could skip without penalty and thought it had to do with wins.

Ash Barty (Aussie) beat Venus Williams in Cincinnati Open (6-3, 2-6, 6-2). She played really consistently, hope that form continues for her. Served out a love game for the win.

Gracious words Barty had about Williams after the match too:

She's a genuine champion of the game and paved the way for us young players coming through. It's an honour for me to … share the court with her, and I'm happy to be moving on.

Watching Cincy, I had forgotten the women were allowed coaching timeouts. What's the reasoning behind that?

Good question. For WTA events you can have coaching timeouts but never in the ATP. Of course slams are not ATP/WTA events and they have their own rules that ban coaching for both genders.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Murray confirmed for US Open

will lose during the first week and not play for the rest of the season.

pretty sure that also means federer and nadal can end up on the same side of the draw. federer i think is like 5 points behind murray. if he had played cincy and just tanked his first match he would have probably been guaranteed top 2 seed.

dimitrov routined sugita, now only isner stands in front of his first masters final. i bet the big guy serves the bulgarian out. i am pretending donaldson does not exist.

With all the injuries these US Open have the chance to out French Open the French Open in bad Grand Slams.

i take a wide open field over a certain Nadal win.

USO betting odds:
Federer 3.1
Nadal 3.9
Zverev 11
Murray 13
Cilic 20
Thiem 25
Raonic 25
Nishikori, Kyrgios, Del Potro 50

Nadal at 3.9 is just throwing money out of the window. Zverev is the third favourite despite never reaching a slam QF. Murray at 4th hasn't played on HC since march.

oti

Banned
i take a wide open field over a certain Nadal win.

USO betting odds:
Federer 3.1
Nadal 3.9
Zverev 11
Murray 13
Cilic 20
Thiem 25
Raonic 25
Nishikori, Kyrgios, Del Potro 50

Nadal at 3.9 is just throwing money out of the window. Zverev is the third favourite despite never reaching a slam QF. Murray at 4th hasn't played on HC since march.

Tell me who I should bet money on.

I think the value there is Zverev or Cilic. Can't bet on Murray without seeing how his hip is and he hasn't been past the QFs at the USO since he won. If you watch the first set he plays and think he's moving freely might be worth sneaking something on him. Fed and Nadal have zero value. Zverev... third favourite at a Slam already, without ever being past R4 or beating an elite player over Bo5 in his career? I guess he is, huh.

too late, already put three grand on the samurai

maybe you'll get a refund if you ask nicely.

I think the value there is Zverev or Cilic. Can't bet on Murray without seeing how his hip is and he hasn't been past the QFs at the USO since he won. If you watch the first set he plays and think he's moving freely might be worth sneaking something on him. Fed and Nadal have zero value. Zverev... third favourite at a Slam already, without ever being past R4 or beating an elite player over Bo5 in his career? I guess he is, huh.

i'd probably put money on Cilic if i had to. As you said, Zverev hasn't made a slam QF yet, that's a bit risky at way lower odds.

Isner hit a Murray-esque defensive lop on his set point at, I think, 9-10. Dimitrov scrambled it back short in the court, giving him ample time to wind up his huge forehand. Instead he basically rolled an approach to Dimitrov's backhand and got passed. He won't look back on that point with pride.

Ricker

Poor Stephens...crushed in 54 minutes by Halep...

Mugu/Halep tomorrow,Halep could take back #1 from Pliskova already if she wins.

Poor Stephens...crushed in 54 minutes by Halep...

Mugu/Halep tomorrow,Halep could take back #1 from Pliskova already if she wins.

If Halep played finals like she does semi-finals, she would have been #1 already. Her and Woz just seem to choke in finals.

note: I would love it if Woz and Halep somehow met in the US Open finals lmao.

If Halep played finals like she does semi-finals, she would have been #1 already. Her and Woz just seem to choke in finals.

note: I would love it if Woz and Halep somehow met in the US Open finals lmao.

i want Woz to become the first world number 1 without a tournament win.
she holds two titles now and those are only a bit more than 600 points. if she makes the USO finals and lose to a lower ranked player it might be doable.

edit: she made the semis last year, so not much points to gain.

As a general rule tennis is at its best with a mix of styles. Two all-out attackers with poor defense results in too many short points (see Kvitova v Keys) and no rhythm. Two defenders results in lots of very long rallies and a high percentage of errors (see Woz v Halep). Obviously you can great get matches with two big hitters or two great defenders, but I think the odds are much better with a clear contrast.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Yeah she was better suited mentally earlier in her career to win finals, but now? She's a finals choke artist. Losing 6-1, 6-0 today in the finals to Muguruza. No excuse for that

she's lost the last three finals, yes, but before that she won the last four.

she got blown away today (i am assuming, i did not see the match), but there is nothing exceptional about her finals performances, one way or another. and when you lose 6-1, 6-0, that has nothing to do with being a "choke artist." you actually need to be in the match to choke.

if we're inventing narratives, we can as well say she chose to tank because she didn't want to be a slamless number one.

Diamond

Nice to see Dimitrov win something big. With that said, he had a pretty manageable draw. There's still work for him to be a slam contender, but with that kind of tournaments under his belt, maybe he'll gain the confidence he lacks in the big matches.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dimitrov won a Masters?

I'll arrange the funeral proceedings.

Top Bottom