• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Lucas' outline was used as the basis for Michael Arndt's draft, which was tossed out/substantially rewritten by JJ and Kasdan.

That doesn't mean that the new script doesn't adhere to the Lucas outline. Could just be they didn't want to use Arndt's draft in general.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Well, hopefully they'll explain how there's enough Jedi to even hunt only 30 yrs after ROTJ. I know it's a big galaxy and all, but finding them, training them, esp. if there isn't a new republic to make it easier, seems a stretch.

Edit: read the whole set of spoilers. Sounds kind of a mess.

Farmboy

Basically any Star Wars plot is going to sound like fan fiction at this point.

Yep. Shouldn't be hard to make ROTJ sound like fanfiction: "There's a *second* Death Star and they go to this forest moon where there's these creatures called Ewoks, which are basically Wookiees but shorter!"

sounds bad man. The entire rebel fleet cant defeat 3 jedi hunters...

In the Star Wars universe, a bunch of bullshit is possible (and likely to happen). New writers might be able to make such situations believable, unlike Lucas.

And hehe, everything since the OT has been fan fiction. Especially the prequels.

Abounder

Banned
Fan fiction? C'mon now, like the idea of a second Death Star wasn't exactly storytelling innovation, zoinks! (I see this was already mentioned, let me force shroud in peace)

Hopefully they nail the villains which was huge for the OT and one of the major reasons why the prequels sucked.

DodgerSan

If any of this is accurate, then there could be a reason that the Inquisitor in Rebels is a Pau'an. Admittedly it's 'Legends' at the moment, but they have said they are open to 'mining' the EU/Legends going forward. So that said...

The Pau'an's have a lifespan up to 700 years. It could be that they wanted a character that could span the two eras (sans any tedious mucking about in carbonate) and picked a species with a long life span, that they can then make 'official' later.

maharg

idspispopd
If any of this is accurate, then there could be a reason that the Inquisitor in Rebels is a Pau'an. Admittedly it's 'Legends' at the moment, but they have said they are open to 'mining' the EU/Legends going forward. So that said...

The Pau'an's have a lifespan up to 700 years. It could be that they wanted a character that could span the two eras (sans any tedious mucking about in carbonate) and picked a species with a long life span, that they can then make 'official' later.

I'm pretty sure Rebels is canon, along with The Clone Wars (but not Clone Wars).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That sounds like absolute bullshit.

Unless JJ doesn't know what he is doing, and I doubt it, Luke CANNOT be anywhere else than where he was at the end of ROTJ. Just like King Arthur, Neo, Jesus, Captain America, Master Chief at the end of Halo 3, Luke can only be "frozen" until we see him again, meaning that when we will see him again he has to be the one we are most familiar with, the one that has the least been affected by the events of the time, but has become holier/divine. He is the connection between the audience and the original trilogy. The other characters can, but not Luke, he's from the template of the hero in the invisible land, waiting for the time to return. Or in SW's case, he's away to heal and not fall to the dark side, he wants to avoid becoming a threat to others.

So I won't believe anyone who claims Luke didn't just go away in isolation since ROTJ until it is officially confirmed. We have to be picked up right where we left him. Luke is not a "character", he is an archetype. If JJ doesn't get that, he's taking the wrong approach.

edit: Sleeping Hero

King in the mountain stories involve legendary heroes, often accompanied by armed retainers, sleeping in remote dwellings, including caves on high mountaintops, remote islands, or supernatural worlds. The hero is frequently a historical figure of some military consequence in the history of the nation where the mountain is located.

The stories gathered by the Brothers Grimm concerning Frederick Barbarossa and Charlemagne are typical of the stories told, and have been influential on many told variants and subsequent adaptations. The presence of the hero is unsuspected, until some herdsman wanders into the cave, typically looking for a lost animal, and sees the hero. The stories almost always mention the detail that the hero has grown a long beard, indicative of the long time he has slept beneath the mountain.

In the Brothers Grimm version, the hero speaks with the herdsman. Their conversation typically involves the hero asking, "Do the eagles (or ravens) still circle the mountaintop?" The herdsman, or a mysterious voice, replies, "Yes, they still circle the mountaintop." "Then begone! My time has not yet come."

The herdsman is usually supernaturally harmed by the experience: he ages rapidly, he emerges with his hair turned white, and often he dies after repeating the tale. The story goes on to say that the king sleeps in the mountain, awaiting a summons to arise with his knights and defend the nation in a time of deadly peril. The omen that presages his rising will be the extinction of the birds that trigger his awakening.

So Luke is hiding somewhere, until the surrounding area changes or someone stumbles on him and he realizes things have changed for the worst and he must step out. He cannot be changed by events that have happened since we last saw him and his return since he is our vehicle to this new "era". We are supposed to be as much in the dark as he is.

One of the things I didn't like about the old EU was how quickly the Empire crumbled and the New Republic rose after rotj. Sounds good if they didn't go that rout. Though the idea that Luke has spent the last 30 years on the run from hunters doesn't sound much better. I could see the hunters being more of a recent reemergence coming into the new trilogy, but I can't see them operating with near impunity during the whole gap, that just seems to diminish the end of rotj too much and make the 30 years too unproductive. Maybe most of that time they were laying low, plotting and preparing for this "resurrection" rather then actively participating in the war. That would sound better to me.

120v

the empire still being around after 30 years just seems lazy to me, even if it is in splinter factions. but it's not a dealbreaker

One of the things I didn't like about the old EU was how quickly the Empire crumbled and the New Republic rose after rotj. Sounds good if they didn't go that rout. Though the idea that Luke has spent the last 30 years on the run from hunters doesn't sound much better. I could see the hunters being more of a recent reemergence coming into the new trilogy, but I can't see them operating with near impunity during the whole gap, that just seems to diminish the end of rotj too much and make the 30 years too unproductive. Maybe most of that time they were laying low, plotting and preparing for this "resurrection" rather then actively participating in the war. That would sound better to me.

Did the Empire really crumble that fast? From what I remember they retook Coruscant, resurrected the Emperor, and pushed the New Republic to the brink of extinction. After that happened, Thrawn almost did it again. And even after that they were still around. I don't think the Empire ever completely vanished in the EU. They were even still around during the Yuuzhan Vong stuff.

Slime

Banned
The fact that it would tie in with Rebels makes me think it's plausible, given all the Story Group business, but I actually hope it's not true.

I'd rather things start off relatively mundane and the Sith stuff be kept to a minimum.

Presumably, they never go after Luke Skywalker during the original trilogy era because Darth Vader has deemed him off limits, the Sith have plans for him. Upon the death of Darth Vader and the Emperor, the Inquisitors become stewards of the Emperor’s vision for order and power via imperialism. Darth Sidious apparently left these cult members with a path should he ever parish or be betrayed that would resurrect himself or some Sith to continue the legacy of the Sith. Perhaps Moraband is the key?
iGbdajQ.gif

I believe when I see it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man I'm still salty about that "moraband" shit. It is fucking Korriban and always will be.

Star Wars EP VII plot details: The Mandalorians have amassed a huge army and control several shipyards which are building the most impressive fleet in the galaxy. Tired of the lack of cohesion that the new republic has brought to the galaxy they begin striking planets and taking them over. Chased by these enemies a small group of refugees from one system discover and attempt to hide in an Old Republic Sith cruiser. Inside they find not only lightsabers and armor parts but an ancient Holocron that details the darkest ways of the force. Concerned and under pressure the refugees escape from the planet via a abandoned transport in the hull of the cruiser and set off to Tatooine to take the Holocron to the last known Jedi, Luke Skywalker. A chase ensues and the new republic is forced to deal with the Mandalorian threat. The film ends with a massive space battle among the shipyard. The new Mandalorian ship under construction is larger than a Super Star Destroyer and manages to escape the battle but at the loss of the shipyard. To add complications one of the refugees has perhaps taken the holocrons teachings too far and is set up on the path to the darkside where he will become the most powerful Sith that ever lived.

I can make up movie plots too.

Yeah why the fuck did they change it. Korriban is infinitely better.

Cause Moraband sounds like "moribund." Korriban doesn't sound like anything.

Remember, this is the same universe that gave us General Grievous, Elan Sleazebaggano, and Salacious B. Crumb.

Jarmel

Banned
This actually sounds sort of dark and good...

No New Republic is great news and I like how the Empire is still a serious threat.

inm8num2

I do appreciate the writer's efforts to clarify that she's passing along what people working on the film have speculated. It seems sincere, which is why I'm inclined to believe these rumors are coming from people on the set, even if the rumors aren't accurate.

That said, I'm generally not a fan of the "we're going to reveal this whole important thing as having existed in the previous movies even though they weren't in those movies" approach. The idea of these hunters/inquisitors could work out, but I'm kind of Luke warm :)p) to the framework. They're going to make ROTJ's ending feel like this:

1030-021.jpg

Nobody expects the Empire to have been totally wiped out, but Endor was at least a turning point, leading to Luke training a new generation of Jedi and Leia leading a New Republic in the continued efforts against the Empire. It seems based on this limited information that Luke will waste 30 years fighting the not-Sith then get killed off. That would be a huge waste of the character, but again it's limited info from rumors and there's plenty we wouldn't know.

I won't write anything off. Just a knee-jerk reaction. :)

watershed

Banned

Unless JJ doesn't know what he is doing, and I doubt it, Luke CANNOT be anywhere else than where he was at the end of ROTJ. Just like King Arthur, Neo, Jesus, Captain America, Master Chief at the end of Halo 3, Luke can only be "frozen" until we see him again, meaning that when we will see him again he has to be the one we are most familiar with, the one that has the least been affected by the events of the time, but has become holier/divine. He is the connection between the audience and the original trilogy. The other characters can, but not Luke, he's from the template of the hero in the invisible land, waiting for the time to return. Or in SW's case, he's away to heal and not fall to the dark side, he wants to avoid becoming a threat to others.

So I won't believe anyone who claims Luke didn't just go away in isolation since ROTJ until it is officially confirmed. We have to be picked up right where we left him. Luke is not a "character", he is an archetype. If JJ doesn't get that, he's taking the wrong approach.

So Luke is hiding somewhere, until the surrounding area changes or someone stumbles on him and he realizes things have changed for the worst and he must step out. He cannot be changed by events that have happened since we last saw him and his return since he is our vehicle to this new "era". We are supposed to be as much in the dark as he is.
Why are you so adamant that Luke must fit one specific trope? There are plenty of young cast members to "be our eyes" in this new trilogy and 5 or 6 returning characters to help the audience cross the bridge from the old trilogy to this new trilogy. There is no plot necessity that Luke be frozen in time beyond what you've decided to believe in.

Jarmel

Banned
I do appreciate the writer's efforts to clarify that she's passing along what people working on the film have speculated. It seems sincere, which is why I'm inclined to believe these rumors are coming from people on the set, even if the rumors aren't accurate.

That said, I'm generally not a fan of the "we're going to reveal this whole important thing as having existed in the previous movies even though they weren't in those movies" approach. The idea of these hunters/inquisitors could work out, but I'm kind of Luke warm :)p) to the framework. They're going to make ROTJ's ending feel like this:

1030-021.jpg

Nobody expects the Empire to have been totally wiped out, but Endor was at least a turning point, leading to Luke training a new generation of Jedi and Leia leading a New Republic in the continued efforts against the Empire. It seems based on this limited information that Luke will waste 30 years fighting the not-Sith then get killed off. That would be a huge waste of the character, but again it's limited info from rumors and there's plenty we wouldn't know.

I won't write anything off. Just a knee-jerk reaction. :)

I think it's fine mainly because we're not given anything close to an indepth look at how the Empire runs in the OT. We never see any of the politics or even a good look at the military and how it's setup. Not much time is spent fleshing out the Empire so something like Inquisitors does seem very possible and not just a bullshit retcon(even though that's sorta what it is). It fits logically into the universe for the most part.

TheXbox

The rebels failing to cobble together some cohesive government in any part of the galaxy over the course of thirty years effectively negates the conflict in the original trilogy. Not saying the Empire shouldn't endure in some form or another after RotJ, but without a new republic there is no victory for the Alliance, and without a victory for the Alliance then what the fuck was the point of the first three movies?

Jedi Hunters aren't a bad idea, though. If the rumors are true (unlikely), they better not resurrect Vader or the Emperor or some dumb shit. Do Revan or something, canon be damned.

inm8num2

I think it's fine mainly because we're not given anything close to an indepth look at how the Empire runs in the OT. We never see any of the politics or even a good look at the military and how it's setup. Not much time is spent fleshing out the Empire so something like Inquisitors does seem very possible and not just a bullshit retcon(even though that's sorta what it is). It fits logically into the universe for the most part.

Yea I hear what you're saying. It seems plausible enough for the Empire to employ such personnel/tactics, but it just feels derivative. Not quite Sith, not quite Stormtroopers, not quite bounty hunters. Or maybe a good analogy for them is bounty hunters or mercenaries? I haven't heard of this until today as I don't follow the tv show news.

Tarkin in ANH tells Vader he's all that's left of that religion, so it would seem these "Inquisitors" wouldn't be needed at that point. Plus, the notion of Vader forbidding them to go after Luke just feels like a lazy retcon for an idea that can't otherwise be resolved naturally. That leads me to think of nitpicks like, "If they knew Luke was Vader's son, certainly those rumors would spread and Luke would know before his duel in ESB?" I guess one could imagine these Sith worshipers keep to themselves in unknown places, biding their time and waiting for their moment, though.

I hate to be negative like that as I'm usually the type of person who tries to reassure people (e.g. Batman/Superman and Justice League), but these plot outlines mostly seem lazy or at the very least one of the few possible things left to do after scrapping the EU.

Tookay

I like part of this rumor, but yeah, making the rebels have basically no success in overthrowing the Empire is a little off-putting and cheapens ROTJ's ending.

Not to say that the war ended there, but you'd think Luke and the others would have gained some more ground in three decades.

Not having a new republic doesn't make any sense. The Senate was disbanded for like half a generation. Why wouldn't the galaxy go back to the form of government that they had had for a thousand years (or generations depending on your source) before Palpatine took control. The reason the Empire fell so quickly and why the Rebel Alliance was able to have any effect whatsoever is because there was a lot of rebel sympathy throughout the galaxy. Planetary systems just didn't have the resources or military capacity to undermine the Empire themselves because of how the Clone War shook out.

The idea that there are a cult of Jedi hunters is hilarious to me. It undermines Darth Vader's pre-original trilogy mission to destroy the Jedi and they must be completely inept since there is literally 1 Jedi at the end of RotJ and they can't hunt down and kill the guy who almost couldn't beat a dilapidated mechanical old man?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Exactly my reaction to your post.
Hiding isn't exactly the most noble of pursuits.

It's healing and not wanting to be a threat to others.

Why are you so adamant that Luke must fit one specific trope? There are plenty of young cast members to "be our eyes" in this new trilogy and 5 or 6 returning characters to help the audience cross the bridge from the old trilogy to this new trilogy. There is no plot necessity that Luke be frozen in time beyond what you've decided to believe in.

Because Luke followed the archetypical hero model before and it makes sense he would again. Also, being the "sleeping hero" his return can be required for just the first movie. He cannot remain as the main protagonist since in this stage his journey is complete. He's supposed to go away for good after returning, to tie up a lose end and then leave. He would be there to make the transition. His return is basically his accomplishment, so he can't stick around for three movies as the lead.

I'm going to say this is a rumor interpreted wrong - Luke is the last Jedi as of Return of the Jedi. If he's been fighting these hunters for 30 years...then they really suck at their job. It's not like he'd bother training other Jedi if they existed either, as they'd be so inexperienced as to either fall to the dark side or get slaughtered the second the hunters found them.

I can accept that Luke has been training Jedi for 30 years, and these hunters suddenly show up and start killing his Jedi. That would make for an interesting movie. Luke fighting them for 30 years? Not very plausible even for Star Wars.

I'd have loved to seen reactions to an Episode 1 spoiler leak.

"So the taxation of trade routes has caused an unlawful blockade of a frog people planet..."

watershed

Banned
Because Luke followed the archetypical hero model before and it makes sense he would again. Also, being the "sleeping hero" his return can be required for just the first movie. He cannot remain as the main protagonist since in this stage his journey is complete. He's supposed to go away for good after returning, to tie up a lose end and then leave. He would be there to make the transition. His return is basically his accomplishment, so he can't stick around for three movies as the lead.

I don't think Luke is going to be the lead for all 3 movies. They didn't hire a young cast for no reason. But you were saying:
"Luke CANNOT be anywhere else than where he was at the end of ROTJ...Luke can only be "frozen" until we see him again, meaning that when we will see him again he has to be the one we are most familiar with" etc.

I don't know why you bother to be so absolute. Luke doesn't have to reproduce every detail of the archetype he embodies. In fact I fully expect him to have already transitioned from "the hero" to "the mentor/teacher/wizard" character at the beginning of the first film. Too much time has passed for him to be the same. Also, let's leave some room for the writers of the script to figure out what Luke can be instead of being so close minded as to declare that there is only one option Luke must be.

maharg

idspispopd
Not having a new republic doesn't make any sense. The Senate was disbanded for like half a generation. Why wouldn't the galaxy go back to the form of government that they had had for a thousand years (or generations depending on your source) before Palpatine took control. The reason the Empire fell so quickly and why the Rebel Alliance was able to have any effect whatsoever is because there was a lot of rebel sympathy throughout the galaxy. Planetary systems just didn't have the resources or military capacity to undermine the Empire themselves because of how the Clone War shook out.

I don't think there's really any support in what remains of cannon for what you're saying in the last few sentences here. Namely, in canon the Empire hasn't fallen apart at all, let alone quickly. And there's not really much evidence of a huge amount of sympathy for the rebels, either. They were ragtag and based on planets with no population. We can probably assume that what they had at Endor was everything they had, and it was only through subterfuge that they won.

And we actually see quite a lot of sympathy -- as well as actual justification -- for the downfall of the republic before and while it happens. I'm not really sure you're actually supposed to assume the Republic is something people -- even the rebels -- want to return to exactly.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's healing and not wanting to be a threat to others.

So basically you want him to be a complete loser for 30 years and then somehow stop being a loser when shit gets real?
jenniferlawrenceokaythumbup.gif

Tablo

Respectfully completely disagree, I really would not want them to stick to a paradigm like that personally. Maybe I'm just too tied to the EU? But that feels too constricted, I'd like them to open up the scope of the movies a tad perhaps. I guess that's what the animated series is for though.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

He's going to be that when he reappears in the new movie no matter what he's been doing in-universe, because to us he has been gone for 30 years. That doesn't mean he has to have been doing nothing the whole time in-universe, it just means that when he returns to the screen we have to be able to recognize him instantly as the same character we left in RotJ. You're taking the archetype way too literally. And he's definitely not the lead. Most leaks have pointed to Han being the most prominent of the three OT main characters, at least in this movie.

NBtoaster

eh, they should avoid diminishing the what the rebels achieved in the OT. The Sith should be gone and the empire should have collapsed.

Tablo

I think the beginnings of a New Republic would have been cool, but of course they gotta have a single baddie.

Cth

Imagine the chaos if they'd announced Han and Leia split since ROTJ :D

I always figured Luke would do the Obi Wan thing.. make more sense than setting up academies, IMO.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Imagine the chaos if they'd announced Han and Leia split since ROTJ :D

I always figured Luke would do the Obi Wan thing.. make more sense than setting up academies, IMO.

Think about why Obi-Wan was living like he was, and then realize that Luke doing the same makes zero sense.

Cth

Think about why Obi-Wan was living like he was, and then realize that Luke doing the same makes zero sense.

Waiting until Luke was ready to embrace his destiny and waiting to step in to protect him if need be..

Regardless, it's simple story symmetry. With so many characters to deal with, it's a narrative short cut plain and simple. Story wise, again, it makes more sense if balance was achieved in the Force at the cost of losing his father, he'd not want to repeat the sins of the past.

There's no need for some cliched fanboy fantasy of hooking Luke up with a hot redhead. And no need for a Jedi Academy. The Jedi made a huge mess of things, why repeat the past?

Again, makes much more sense and infinitely more interesting than making Luke into another souless Jedi devoid of emotion cranking out students,IMO.

Azerare

I don't know why you bother to be so absolute.
Only a sith deals in absolutes!

I'll admit the Jedi hunter thing spanning for over 30 years is not appealing...but a transition still taking place between The Newer Republic and The Empire seems cool.

Top Bottom