• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

watershed

Banned
Anyone find a good use for the Meteor Rod? The one that casts three fireballs that go bouncing off in all directions. I can never seem to get them to hit anything I want.

Just found one with Durability Up+ kinda early in my Master Mode game, and I'm thinking meh, I don't want to take it.
Any rod is great for combat in master mode. They keep dealing damage to enemies which prevents regeneration. Great for crowd combat.

Darksol

This is not going to be my game of the generation or even game of the year. I'm enjoying myself but everything just seems so half assed. The plot is barebones, the voice acting is meh (why must everyone sound like they're anime, having an orgasm or having a stroke?), the side quests are standard fetch quests, shrines are unremarkable, bosses are easy, enemy types are few, some of the characters I encounter look like they're creepy rejected bosses from Catherine, I could go on...

Not really sure the changes they made to this series were for the better.

Edit: also, those weird guys selling the house -- are they supposed to be gay? The voices sound very stereotyped and they all call me studly and a "pup".

piggychan

Me too. God, I wish weapons were more strictly limited, weather more profoundly impactful, food and stamina more essential to the experience. It seems to beg for a hunger limit. Link shouldn't be able to go days without food.

It would be great to see Link carry all his equipment, instead of manifesting active weapons out of thin air.

The dream

Looks like my Link

DHT-OsyVwAA1n4p.jpg:large

Chopper

I'm at exactly 100 shrines completed, with no Shrine Quests left in my log. I'm stumped. I've covered enough of my map to be fairly certain that there aren't any more "out in the open" and assume the rest are quest related. I don't know where to start.

Also, if there are 120 shrines, then there aren't enough to complete two full rows of hearts. Where do the other two come from?

TheMoon

Also, if there are 120 shrines, then there aren't enough to complete two full rows of hearts. Where do the other two come from?

You cannot have both full hearts and full stamina. It's by design. You have to choose (or switch when necessary).

Chopper

You cannot have both full hearts and full stamina. It's by design. You have to choose (or switch when necessary).
Ah, that's a shame. At least that explains it.

Any tips on what to do about the shrines I can't find? Did any of you find them all without a guide? I assume there's one by the fairy fountain near Kakariko, but fucked if I know how to get the ball out of Impa's house. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

DonShula

Ah, that's a shame. At least that explains it.

Any tips on what to do about the shrines I can't find? Did any of you find them all without a guide? I assume there's one by the fairy fountain near Kakariko, but fucked if I know how to get the ball out of Impa's house. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

Most spoiler free recommendation I have is to keep talking to people, both day and night. Even people you're pretty sure you've already talked to.

I just tried to go back to Twilight Princess on the Wii U and it's painful after playing so much of this. I don't think I can go back to any older 3D Zeldas anymore.

DonShula

I just tried to go back to Twilight Princess on the Wii U and it's painful after playing so much of this. I don't think I can go back to any older 3D Zeldas anymore.

I played and finished TP right before BOTW. The difference was jarring and probably one of the reasons BOTW instantly struck me as GOAT. It was like the transition from 2D to 3D all over again.

Philippo

Any tips for cooking for someone that dislike cooking?
I hate having to prepare a meal when there are so mang ingredients to choose from. I just what something that heals me up and thats it.

kennah

I hate having to prepare a meal when there are so mang ingredients to choose from. I just what something that heals me up and thats it.
How many hearts do you currently have? A hearty anything is full recovery with a bonus hearts that changes depending on the type and how much. But a single hearty anything will always be a full recovery.

DonShula

Just combine one hearty durian with four apples (or berries or palm fruit). It'll give you full recovery plus four or five extra hearts. Hearty durians are easiest to get because they're in a spot north of Faron tower you can glide down to and grab 12 or so at a time. When you run out, go back and get more. Easy and convenient.

piggychan

also try 4 hylian shrooms and 1 hearty radish for full recovery + 3 extra hearts

Chopper

So I completed the Cliffaide Etchings shrine quest ages ago, albeit inadvertently. But it doesn't show up in my quest list, and the NPC who gives it won't add it. Is this glitched?

dLMN8R

Yeah cooking is really pretty simple once you discover a few tricks.

The biggest one is to look for any ingredient with "hearty" in it - hearty salmon, hearty durian, etc. - they'll all individually fully restore your health + some yellow hearts. No need to even mix them with other things.

DonShula

So I completed the Cliffaide Etchings shrine quest ages ago, albeit inadvertently. But it doesn't show up in my quest list, and the NPC who gives it won't add it. Is this glitched?

Talk to him during the day when he's outside the stable and staring at the mountain. He won't give you the quest at night or while he's in the stable.

GoldStarz

"By entering this place, you've already proven your worth."

QL1N5_s-200x150.gif

Was it
the one behind a bombable wall a stone's throw away from the Serenne Stable
? I still don't understand what the devs were thinking making that one a Blessing shrine. It's not even that hard to find compared to others with challenges inside.

hughesta

Banned
just finished Naboris today, cheated that 'conduit' bit where you need to
find two orbs, I think? I just found one and made a chain of metal chests and metal weapons until it activated the door lol.

still haven't figured out how to get impa's fucking ball god damn it

45 hours in or so. Been playing since launch but stopped when P5 came out to focus on beating that. Can't wait to sink into this for another 100+ hours.

GoldStarz

find two orbs, I think? I just found one and made a chain of metal chests and metal weapons until it activated the door lol.

45 hours in or so. Been playing since launch but stopped when P5 came out to focus on beating that. Can't wait to sink into this for another 100+ hours.

To get Impa's ball
you have to do all the other sidequests in Kakakriko (except for the Cooking With Koko sidequest line, you only have to do the first of that one).

centracore

Finally beat Trial of the Sword in Master Mode last night, the first part really is the hardest.. once I beat the first part the second and third parts were a cake walk.

Newboi

I recently purchased a Switch and have started playing ZBoTW. This game is FANTASTIC! There's so much random stuff I'm discovering in this game. It's weird having a game that doesn't out right tell you everything you need to do (other than the soulsborne series).

A question though, is there a way to store a see recipes for items you've already cooked? I've had a rough time remembering what combinations I haven't tried. Also, is there a general process for combining materials? Like, should I only ever use 1 meat or one critter? Should certain items never go together?

I'm also getting used to having weapons be very temporary. It was hard at first finding a powerful elemental weapon then seeing it break. I do wonder if I should only use certain weapons or items conservatively, or if I should just let my weapons break with abandon. I'm trying not to horde, but it's tough not knowing when you will face a really powerful enemy off the beat path, but only have weak weapons to deal with it.

Lastly, should I put a priority on heart containers or stamina when it comes to upgrading my stats early in the game?

TheMoon

Lastly, should I put a priority on heart containers or stamina when it comes to upgrading my stats early in the game?

completely depends on your needs and playstyle.

do you climb a lot? stamina.
do you fight and get hit a lot/play recklessly? hearts.

not that you can switch them after encountering a certain "thing." so you're not locked into anything.

bobawesome

Finally finished off all the shrines. Link's tunic isn't really what I expected...but I'm warming up to it.

This was the last shrine I needed. I was so, so angry when I finally figured out the solution. 160+ hours and I thought I had to find every other shrine first.

Macchiato

I played and finished TP right before BOTW. The difference was jarring and probably one of the reasons BOTW instantly struck me as GOAT. It was like the transition from 2D to 3D all over again.

This is exactly how I felt after starting BOTW. I hadn't played a Zelda game since SS, which I had practically forced myself to get through (took my like a year and a half to get myself through it), and though I've always been a huge fan of the series...I could never go back.

My husband, who isn't really a gamer but will work his way through the occasional game if he's inspired, made an interesting observation yesterday. He's playing through Uncharted (we got the collectors edition that came with our PS4), and he was getting annoyed. He said, you know, in Zelda (BoTW), I never felt frustrated. Everything was fun. Sometimes it was challenging, but never frustrating.

And that's when I realized, it's true. Botw is the first game that I realized I was never annoyed or bored with. Somehow, nothing felt like a chore in that game, or something I had to grit my teeth to get through.

I think back to basically the entirety of SS (sorry, I really hated everything about that game. Except maybe Impa. She was awesome), and certain aspects of each 3D Zelda before that, and there was always a couple of parts where I would groan and want to just get it over with.

BoTW broke so many stupid gameplay conventions, it was like not realizing you were in a closed-in room --a pretty, well decorated room, but a room none-the-less --and suddenly the walls around you broke down revealing a sprawling, infinite playground all around you. Suddenly, the idea of going back to the nice room feels restrictive and archaic.

Caelus

When should I be able to kill the zebra thing on the GP?
I'm still early on (4 hearts, some 15-30 weapons) and I'm playing master mode.

You can kill it now if you're brave enough. You can stock up on fairies and food for backup, but you're good. Use flurry rush.

Galava

This is exactly how I felt after starting BOTW. I hadn't played a Zelda game since SS, which I had practically forced myself to get through (took my like a year and a half to get myself through it), and though I've always been a huge fan of the series...I could never go back.

My husband, who isn't really a gamer but will work his way through the occasional game if he's inspired, made an interesting observation yesterday. He's playing through Uncharted (we got the collectors edition that came with our PS4), and he was getting annoyed. He said, you know, in Zelda (BoTW), I never felt frustrated. Everything was fun. Sometimes it was challenging, but never frustrating.

And that's when I realized, it's true. Botw is the first game that I realized I was never annoyed or bored with. Somehow, nothing felt like a chore in that game, or something I had to grit my teeth to get through.

I think back to basically the entirety of SS (sorry, I really hated everything about that game. Except maybe Impa. She was awesome), and certain aspects of each 3D Zelda before that, and there was always a couple of parts where I would groan and want to just get it over with.

BoTW broke so many stupid gameplay conventions, it was like not realizing you were in a closed-in room --a pretty, well decorated room, but a room none-the-less --and suddenly the walls around you broke down revealing a sprawling, infinite playground all around you. Suddenly, the idea of going back to the nice room feels restrictive and archaic.

This, so much this.

I never feel motivated enough to replay games because of the tediousness and "oh no, i have to this all over again if i want to replay it".

Not with this game, I was waiting for master mode to drop so I could replay the game and spend another 100 hours doing it. I am now at 119 shrines, lots of kologs, upgrading gear, trial of the sword completed... and I'm not feeling bored or frustrated. I am just enjoying it.

Top Bottom