• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipper

SydGAF board gamers, I have some disappointing news. I've been up since the early hours of Saturday morning, playing board games from 12 until 8 or 9 and then having a chat with one of my board gaming buddies until just after 4am. I juat or home and I am utterly exhausted, freezing cold and unlikely to be in any functional state to attend board gaming later today.

This was not planned or expected, nor something that usually happens, this is honestly not something I normally do. I am sincerely sorry for not being able to attend and having this happen at such short notice. I had Merchants & Marauders out and ready to bring. :(

If it's any consolation, I rode about 25 Kms home in 8 degree temperature at 80km/h with no cold weather gear. My extremities feel
like they want to fall off. I hope everyone sees this message before it's too late and can notify any other parties as necessary.
Thanks for letting us know, Danoss and get some rest. Jintor, I'm still game if you are. Discworld does work with two players and so will Ticket to Ride. It's understandable if you don't want to bother, though.

Anybody else in Sydney want to join us at the last moment to make up numbers? It involves being able to make it to Randwick today and then having a ton of fun.

Bernbaum

AusBoozeGAF: Here are some snaps from the Loddon Brewery, which I visited on my 29th birthday.

3aXLs.jpg

I'd done brewery tours before, but this was the first for one like this. There are countless little breweries across the UK that do a healthy bit of trade locally as well as in other counties. As mentioned, I love going to one of my locals and seeing guest ales from a few villages over and I'll try a new brew almost every time.

The master brewer was well experienced and had worked for years at another well-known microbrewery which I've since forgotten. He went into scientific detail on the water used in the brewing. They source all their water from a single borehole and pay attention to rainwater levels as this impacts the amount of nitrates and other chemicals that percolate down into the aquifer. As such, they can compensate for changes in water chemistry by treating the water slightly different for each brew. It's not perfect and each batch differs slightly from the one before it. I like that - it adds character to each brew.

mdtbx.jpg

RPfC1.jpg

Here's a batch of the stuff they brew:

Bzp0E.jpg

lvrTM.jpg

The ones I tried that I can remember are Hullaballoo Best Bitter, Bamboozle Pale Ale, Hoppit Classic Bitter (amazing), and Ferryman's Gold (highly drinkable).

They produce an AusGAF-relevant beer called 'Chocs Away'. It was not available for consumption.

X0DoY.jpg

Here is a scene from Breaking Bad:

80RPd.jpg

Here is me, pouring one of many pints of Ferryman's Gold. If you track down a Loddon's, make it this one.

U2kSu.jpg

Echoplx

Speaking of board games, my housemate just got a job at Mind Games and she gets 50% off everything :D Needless to say we're going to start getting into it a lot more.

Jintor

Thanks for letting us know, Danoss and get some rest. Jintor, I'm still game if you are. Discworld does work with two players and so will Ticket to Ride. It's understandable if you don't want to bother, though.

Anybody else in Sydney want to join us at the last moment to make up numbers? It involves being able to make it to Randwick today and then having a ton of fun.

I feel terrible about missing like the last three in a row, so I'm game for a round of Discworld!

Give me a bit to recover though. I had terrible, terrible sleep last night.

Someone posted this in real-gaf.

Just another morning in Australia
3FpW7.jpg

AusBoozeGAF: Here are some snaps from the Loddon Brewery, which I visited on my 29th birthday.

They produce an AusGAF-relevant beer called 'Chocs Away'. It was not available for consumption.

Here is a scene from Breaking Bad

haha, it totally is.

I don't even like beer but I would love to try honey/chocolate beer. mmm.

Salazar

Tomorrow night's Australian Story.

At 58, the controversial tycoon and political heavyweight is 20 years older than his wife, whom he married in 2007.

"I mean, I was very grateful that anyone would want to spend any time at all with me, you know?" Mr Palmer said. "Let alone someone as attractive and as vital as she was and she is."

Their daughter Mary was born in 2008 and Mr Palmer is keen for another child.

"Unfortunately, I haven't been able to have any more children because Mary sleeps in the bed between me and Anna every night and pushes me out of the way," Mr Palmer said.

"Many Australians can relate to that, but I'm fighting a never-ending battle to get there."

^^^ lol his daughter doesn't want to get pushed out of the inheritance

Crikey, felt like crap last night so went to bed at 7:30pm to watch Simpsons in the warm embrace of my electric blanket. Got out of bed at 7:30am with the sorest quad muscle I have had since I played sports. No idea what happened, my leg is gaunt as all hell and now I have an excuse to complain all day long.

Super hard to find the real stuff. Just check label, fake is Canadian brewed and tastes nothing like the real stuff sadly.
It really is jarring the taste difference, I think I had some real Sapporo from GetWines or some random place in Melbourne when a mate bought a slab for a party there and it was so delicious I can't recall anything else from that night. Hopefully Dan's start importing it properly since they are doing it now with Peroni, Becks and a few others now. They have little signs to point out which are direct imports.

Oh that, it was a couple of weeks ago now. It was good for the most part. First time I'd met a chick off the internet, she was a lot hotter than her pictures lead on as well. Which was surprising! She lives in Sydney though(I'm Melbourne) but I might be meeting her again over the queens birthday.
Someone undersells themself on the internet? Madness! Might be time for you to move to Sydney!

Overalls are in, but not like that.

Up
No no no no. No way. They couldn't be. I do not know of a married man or man with a companion who wears overalls casually. I do not believe you sir. If it is true then I am not for this planet any more.

I would wear shorts every day of the year. Just not short shorts.
Our High School was shorts all year round, probably some kind of macho male thing but it was an unspoken rule that even when it rained we had to wear shorts lest we be thought of as weak and powerless to the flowing seasons.

Intended to go to the Reading Beer Festival 2012, the third biggest in the Kingdom. The Cider section alone is supposedly larger than other Beer/Cider festivals.

I feel like I let down AusBoozeGAF. Sorry kids.
Not at all. I don't mind that neither of us got to go. :)

Hobgoblin.
Courage Best Bitter.
Black Sheep.
Spitfire.

Fursty Ferret
Loddon's Hoppit Classic Bitter
The bolded I have definitely had here, most likely from Dan's but sometimes random places like to import stuff that their imported bar staff like to drink. The Pommie guy who worked at the Scottish pub in Geelong used to get so much shit from them all the time about English beer that he was always getting in different drops to try and shut them up.

I'd done brewery tours before, but this was the first for one like this. There are countless little breweries across the UK that do a healthy bit of trade locally as well as in other counties. As mentioned, I love going to one of my locals and seeing guest ales from a few villages over and I'll try a new brew almost every time.

The master brewer was well experienced and had worked for years at another well-known microbrewery which I've since forgotten. He went into scientific detail on the water used in the brewing. They source all their water from a single borehole and pay attention to rainwater levels as this impacts the amount of nitrates and other chemicals that percolate down into the aquifer. As such, they can compensate for changes in water chemistry by treating the water slightly different for each brew. It's not perfect and each batch differs slightly from the one before it. I like that - it adds character to each brew.

Here is me, pouring one of many pints of Ferryman's Gold. If you track down a Loddon's, make it this one.

U2kSu.jpg
Don't you mean 32nd?
Sound like an awesome tour, great that they explain the water situation to you too as it really does make a huge difference.
Also you wear a girlie scarf dude. My scarf would lord all over it.

Tempted to do my Bucks night at a brewery tour but I have no idea how much it would cost and the deal with how many beers you can have, etc. Not sure if I can even afford to have a Bucks any more.

Honestly, I enjoyed diablo 1, but didn't play the second wgen it came out so missed that boat. ;p
Torchlight 1 is a great improvement on the Diablo 1 formula but misses out on some of the stuff that made Diablo 2 so great. Torchlight 2 certainly looks to be the massive improvement I was hoping for and adds a hell of a lot that I won't even look to pick up Diablo 3 for a while.

Here you can watch livestreams of the Torchlight 2 beta going on at the moment. He has already streamed about 12 hours lol

I don't even like beer but I would love to try honey/chocolate beer. mmm.
Dan's have a pretty good Double Chocolate Stout that is more of a coffee-esque flavour but still very recommended to try out. I'm sure Bern can fill us in more on the Young brand of drinks over there in England too.

Welp, I think that's more than I'll ever need to know.

EDIT: as a side note I thought it was dangerous to have young children sleep with you in bed? If you roll over (I'm looking a clive) you can suffocate them...

Our High School was shorts all year round, probably some kind of macho male thing but it was an unspoken rule that even when it rained we had to wear shorts lest we be thought of as weak and powerless to the flowing seasons.

Shorts remind me too much of high school boys. I think that's my problem with them.

Dan's have a pretty good Double Chocolate Stout that is more of a coffee-esque flavour but still very recommended to try out. I'm sure Bern can fill us in more on the Young brand of drinks over there in England too.

Oooh, I'll buy some and get back to you :D

Bernbaum

Not at all. I don't mind that neither of us got to go. :)

If I had my iPad in tow, I would happily have waited in line whilst reading Ultimate X-men/Ultimate Spider-man. Alas, two hours with naught but an iPhone and a hangover just wasn't an appealing prospect.

The bolded I have definitely had here, most likely from Dan's but sometimes random places like to import stuff that their imported bar staff like to drink. The Pommie guy who worked at the Scottish pub in Geelong used to get so much shit from them all the time about English beer that he was always getting in different drops to try and shut them up.

Courage's Best looks like something that'd be exported. Please do hunt it down.

Don't you mean 32nd?

Fuck you.

Also you wear a girlie scarf dude. My scarf would lord all over it.

Fuck you.

Supermarkets, convenience stores and service stations sell booze here, which is great. The downside is that dedicated liquor stores and boutique shops are far less common. The supermarkets typically stock lager - European imports and Fosters (LOLOLOL) being the staple drops. English lager (aka Carling) is average. I can get ales from my local Sainsbury's but it's mass-market stuff in cans. Real ales are great, but they need to be bought and consumed in a pub. You've probably got better choice at retail than what I do, albeit at import prices.

Finally, 'Real Ales' are serious business.

-

Salacious Crumb left, Jabba right.

Salazar

EDIT: as a side note I thought it was dangerous to have young children sleep with you in bed?

I think it not wildly implausible that Clive's wife is using the child as a defence mechanism.

Which, perhaps unfairly, makes her sound a little callous. But if you put yourself in a situation where bedtime means sharing a few square metres with Clive Palmer . . .

More likely that she is worried he will expect another turn in the sack if he wants another child so the convenient excuse has worked for the past 4 years at least. Probably hoping those bacon and eggs and sausage and hash browns and deep fried tomatoes she serves him every morning will bring on the coronary a bit quicker.
Also she is quite nice looking indeed. Tip of the hat to you Mr Hutt.

as a side note I thought it was dangerous to have young children sleep with you in bed? If you roll over (I'm looking a clive) you can suffocate them...
Kids 4 years old? Wouldn't expect too much of a problem as long as the parents aren't dead tired. You tend to flop onto the bed when you are tired and are more likely to roll onto something and not have your body instinctively roll the opposite way as a defence mechanism (your brain obviously thinks you sleep in the wilderness with cheetahs and the such).

The worry would mainly be for babies where they get tangled in the bedding and can't breath properly. We had our son in bed with us a few times, no more than a handful as we were worried about that too. You can get (and we had) these restrainers (that I will (and did) call a baby clamp) that do a fantastic job of keeping the baby in one spot so they don't get into a position where they will have their mouth covered up and also stops people from rolling into/on top of them. I'm pretty sure we gave it to our sister-in-law so I can't take a photo but it is like two bits of foam that goes on either side of the baby with a strap between the two that goes under the baby. Came with our little capsule. Amazing thing and I highly recommend it for the first 2 months or so. Our little guy outgrew it really quick though.

Also this watermark is ripe for a Disney lawsuit.

Supermarkets, convenience stores and service stations sell booze here, which is great. The downside is that dedicated liquor stores and boutique shops are far less common. The supermarkets typically stock lager - European imports and Fosters (LOLOLOL) being the staple drops. English lager (aka Carling) is average. I can get ales from my local Sainsbury's but it's mass-market stuff in cans. Real ales are great, but they need to be bought and consumed in a pub. You've probably got better choice at retail than what I do, albeit at import prices.

Finally, 'Real Ales' are serious business.
Ah that sucks, they make it easily available but only shitty beer. We do have a very big coinasewer market booming quite well in Australia now, micro brew is in and people like to try something different and are willing to pay the extra. Australia is the best country confirmed.

Also that website is totally the kind of campaigning I would do if I didn't have a job lol. I assume they are upping the alcohol tax in the next budget over there? I have thought that paying a little more for beer would be welcomed with all the other problems they have over there.

Bernbaum

Ah that sucks, they make it easily available but only shitty beer. We do have a very big coinasewer market booming quite well in Australia now, micro brew is in and people like to try something different and are willing to pay the extra. Australia is the best country confirmed.

Also that website is totally the kind of campaigning I would do if I didn't have a job lol. I assume they are upping the alcohol tax in the next budget over there? I have thought that paying a little more for beer would be welcomed with all the other problems they have over there.

Dan Murphy's has a lot of the common distributed ales but the pricing is outrageous. $8.79 for Spitfire - a great ale - is fucking insane when you realise I can buy it from my Sainsbury's for £1 a pop here. Thats $1.60 AUD. Of course, it's not exactly DM's fault.

I met some CAMRA members today. Your typical CAMRA member is 50+ and carries a copy of the Daily Mail, a near-death dog on a leash and a hard worn grumpy expression.

Also this watermark is ripe for a Disney lawsuit.

http://www.maltwhiskeyshirt.com/

COD: MW3 on PC for $31.45 posted from Gametraders

Booting up 50 Cent Blood on da Sand after umming and ahhhhhhing for the last few days about which 360 game to power through for some cheevos. Kinda wanted to 100% AssCreeBra but most of the ones left are MP only, which is some kind of level of hell bullshit for me. I doubt I could even find a stream of game to get the damn things in anyway out here in drop bear land. Same problem with Bioshock 2. Basterds.

Dan Murphy's has a lot of the common distributed ales but the pricing is outrageous. $8.79 for Spitfire - a great ale - is fucking insane when you realise I can buy it from my Sainsbury's for £1 a pop here. Thats $1.60 AUD. Of course, it's not exactly DM's fault.

I met some CAMRA members today. Your typical CAMRA member is 50+ and carries a copy of the Daily Mail, a near-death dog on a leash and a hard worn grumpy expression.

http://www.maltwhiskeyshirt.com/

Importing a product such as beer I can understand the huge markup. Isn't like they can throw it in the regular UK post and have it arrive fine like a DVD case. Plus all the regulatory shit that would hold the process up and cost more and more in middleman red tape. Still, I would love to have some local brewery's take up the challenge and produce some high quality, low price beer that covers a whole range of types and flavours. I also wish the pub up the road would bottle their brew so I don't have to drive to the other side of town for a great local beer >_<

I wonder which of them browbeat their son into making the website for them then.

I thought Disney was big on suing people for little reason? You would think they would have the font protected since it is such a defining attribute of their brand.

Deeku

Clive's got alright taste!

reptilescorpio said:
No no no no. No way. They couldn't be. I do not know of a married man or man with a companion who wears overalls casually. I do not believe you sir. If it is true then I am not for this planet any more.
Don't fight the trends of fashion!

Honestly, I'm pretty sure the only people that would even attempt to wear them are like asian celebs. There's a picture of a normal dude wearing them for an online store and he looks stuuuuupid.

I think they're kinda cool, though. 1100€ bib pants yo!

Online fashion store.

Click on "New fashion".

First item

kqsr1.jpg

Thumbs up or down ?

Oh lord. I knew it was ASOS straight away from the model.
It'd be good for a laugh but $200+ for that? Fuck off

Just finished Sword and Sworcery. I've had it on my iPad for a while, but the first chapter didn't really grab me. I'm glad I went back to it, there's some really cool ideas in there. Great use of the touch interface.

Mmm I need to finish it too. I didn't get very far, probably like 30 minutes to an hour of gameplay.

I think it not wildly implausible that Clive's wife is using the child as a defence mechanism.

Which, perhaps unfairly, makes her sound a little callous. But if you put yourself in a situation where bedtime means sharing a few square metres with Clive Palmer . . .

That makes a lot of sense. I think if I had to sleep near that I'd make a wall of children too.

More likely that she is worried he will expect another turn in the sack if he wants another child so the convenient excuse has worked for the past 4 years at least. Probably hoping those bacon and eggs and sausage and hash browns and deep fried tomatoes she serves him every morning will bring on the coronary a bit quicker.
Also she is quite nice looking indeed. Tip of the hat to you Mr Hutt.

Kids 4 years old? Wouldn't expect too much of a problem as long as the parents aren't dead tired. You tend to flop onto the bed when you are tired and are more likely to roll onto something and not have your body instinctively roll the opposite way as a defence mechanism (your brain obviously thinks you sleep in the wilderness with cheetahs and the such).

The worry would mainly be for babies where they get tangled in the bedding and can't breath properly. We had our son in bed with us a few times, no more than a handful as we were worried about that too. You can get (and we had) these restrainers (that I will (and did) call a baby clamp) that do a fantastic job of keeping the baby in one spot so they don't get into a position where they will have their mouth covered up and also stops people from rolling into/on top of them. I'm pretty sure we gave it to our sister-in-law so I can't take a photo but it is like two bits of foam that goes on either side of the baby with a strap between the two that goes under the baby. Came with our little capsule. Amazing thing and I highly recommend it for the first 2 months or so. Our little guy outgrew it really quick though.

oh neat. I've been kind of paranoid about sleeping with my little dog for the same reason. Wouldn't the foam take up a lot of precious bed space?

Clive's got alright taste!

Don't fight the trends of fashion!

Honestly, I'm pretty sure the only people that would even attempt to wear them are like asian celebs. There's a picture of a normal dude wearing them for an online store and he looks stuuuuupid.

I think they're kinda cool, though. 1100&#8364; bib pants yo!
he does indeed. She's looking very nice for almost 40.

Really depends on who's wearing them, like most things I guess. Overalls seem to be coming back in a big way in Japan. Some guys can pull them off. They make you look fairly young though.

Trying to find a picture of nice overalls I stumbled across this gem:
redneck_overalls.jpg

Abbotsford Convent is nice today, if a little chilly. Tough choice between Japanese soul food or pay-what-you-want organic vegetarian hippy food.

_40248987_neil2bbcok.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS8w78_JMDk

oh neat. I've been kind of paranoid about sleeping with my little dog for the same reason. Wouldn't the foam take up a lot of precious bed space?
Nah this thing is tiny. Hard to explain without a picture. it is kind of like chucks for aeroplanes.
Fuck I am having a terrible day, that thing that you put on either side of the wheel so it can't roll away, having no luck on Google and I assume they have a proper name
A baby fits nicely in between without it being annoying and it taking up no more room than usual with a baby stretching its arms out.

50 Cent was a grossly underrated game. Shame it never came out on PC, even as a crappy port.
Still own a copy? Should run some co-op at some point.

here are some cute overalls to make up for it.

20157-linen-clothing-women-fahion-tie-waist-long-halter-overalls-2.jpg
More like pants with built in suspenders. Doesn't protect her top half at all!

Dead Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS8w78_JMDk

Nah this thing is tiny. Hard to explain without a picture. it is kind of like chucks for aeroplanes.
Fuck I am having a terrible day, that thing that you put on either side of the wheel so it can't roll away, having no luck on Google and I assume they have a proper name
A baby fits nicely in between without it being annoying and it taking up no more room than usual with a baby stretching its arms out.
Chocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chock_(wheel)

If you are going to hit me with timeless pop music youtube, then Sunday is probably a good day for it, DM.

:)

Shaneus

It could be a bitch to find. 10 year-old, obscure NZ movie. The effort to even find that trailer without getting bombarded with crappy stick men animated movies was ridiculous. But if the need arises, be glad to burn you a copy of mine (if I can find it).

Pool Hall Junkies was always superior to Stickmen and you know it.
Technically, yes. But Stickmen has a charm to it that's quite unique. The "Christ mate, how do you piss through that thing?" after the down-trow and the guy in the pink shirt (seriously, his whole mini-arc is one of the funniest things I've seen in film) make it, and couldn't really be pulled off in an American equivalent.

Salazar

Joe Hockey clambers for some high ground.

''I'm quite appalled at the debate going on at the moment, trying to treat this guy as a political football. It's got to stop."

lol. Turned sour on your side, eh Joe.

Uncle Paul, come back to us :(

Yagharek

I really don't know what the fuck you're on about, dude. I was wishing AusGAF a happy Sunday with a silly news article.

I have nfi what he means either.

What a strange name though. Unsurprising what he was arrested with - I think he may have had a few too many to prompt the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom