• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

BumRush

Yikes, I'd need a 55" set for now. 6K makes my head hurt, amazing looking TV tho...I must say.

I'm sure it's a beautiful TV, but with a new house, a daughter and another on the way, my wife would (rightfully) kill me if I bought one lol. I'll stick to a $4000 or less OLED.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm sure it's a beautiful TV, but with a new house, a daughter and another on the way, my wife would (rightfully) kill me if I bought one lol. I'll stick to a $4000 or less OLED.

You can always have another daughter. Don't worry.

sector4

Damn. I think I'm in love. It does look amazing. Hoping it'll get a nice price drop soon. It'll be that or an OLED for sure

God damn that is a nice TV! I can't wait till prices on these start to drop next year.

Gorgeous set, Sector4

Cheers guys! I'm glad you liked the pics! I'd recommend checking one out in person, because as nice as the pics are, they don't do it justice.

WAIT

Is Stranger Things in 4K?? O_O If so I'll have to watch it again. Damn.

Also, thanks for the pictures, that IQ is insane.

Haha yep! Get to it ;) I'm planning a rewatch soon, as I haven't seen it in 4K either. No problems! Yeah, the Z is an IQ monster.

Awesome pics. How's the input lag on the Z9D? Does it have an HDR Game Mode?

Input lag is fantastic, the set is very responsive. I don't have the equipment to measure it myself but I believe in 4K it's 26ms and 1080p 36ms going off the Polish review for it. HDR isn't a seperate mode on the Z9D which I believe gives it a massive edge over competing sets, it can be activated under any picture mode, and doesn't add any additional input lag.

Cut out some of the images so I didn't make a mess, holy shit though...I'd buy that TV, but isn't it even more expensive than some OLED sets?
It's more expensive than some of them sure! It depends where you live also, I could have got a B/C6 cheaper, but an E6, which is closer in features to the Z, was still more expensive at the time of purchase. For my money, I would take the Z over either of those models even if it was more expensive. The conversation will get complicated as all hell next year when you have Panasonics new LCD, new OLEDs from LG, Panasonic, Sony, and possibly QLED from Samsung! Exciting times ahead though for sure!

Z9D blacks are amazing, just shows what Sony can do pushing LCD technology. If OLED rumors are true I wouldn't be surprised if their flagship models blow LG out of the water.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Z9D blacks are amazing, just shows what Sony can do pushing LCD technology. If OLED rumors are true I wouldn't be surprised if their flagship models blow LG out of the water.

I mean, you can't get more black than off.
If Sony beats them, it'll be in near-black detail. The Panasonic set does a better job as well.

But remember, these would be marginal improvements. These sets are already top of the line.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
LMAO I got a 4K UHD BD player for $97 on Black Friday. Get out of here with that $550 pricing, Oppo.

I'm interested. Give me your quality image processing, upscaling, low imput lag, and some pixel blinking and I'll be first in line Sony.

Which one?

I mean, you can't get more black than off.
If Sony beats them, it'll be in near-black detail. The Panasonic set does a better job as well.

But remember, these would be marginal improvements. These sets are already top of the line.

Not black levels which I agree are about as good as they're going to get. I'm referring more to picture quality and general image processing which Sony has shown they can absolutely excel in. The algorithms they use in the Z9D sound way ahead of what other makers have.

I think I'm going to go all the way and give my entertainment room surround sound.

Can anyone design me a $1500-2000 system. Including receiver if possible

sector4

I think I'm going to go all the way and give my entertainment room surround sound.

Can anyone design me a $1500-2000 system. Including receiver if possible

These are only very slightly over your budget, but I can't speak highly enough of the Pioneer Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers designed by Andrew Jones. Every time I show the opening to Fury Road to someone I see their faces absolutely light up. Not many games support Atmos yet (just Star Wars Battlefront on PC I think), but it's the future, and most movie releases now come with an Atmos track. Depending on your space and what type of roof you have they could work very well, not to mention that they absolutely excel even when used in a typical 5.1 set up. I haven't included a subwoofer as the towers have three bass drivers each and are more than capable of delivering awesome bass, and you can add a sub later on if you feel they're lacking. Just keep in mind these are large speakers, and you will also need to buy some speaker wire. But for $2k, you can't really do better imo. Just check the reviews, they're all glowing :)

kkYQpQz.png

I must add that this is a fairly uninformed opinion, I'm no sound guy or audiophile, I work in video, so I'm far more critical of picture and I haven't compared these to other systems, I just went off online reviews and they sounded awesome in person to me :)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
These are only very slightly over your budget, but I can't speak highly enough of the Pioneer Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers designed by Andrew Jones. Not many games support Atmos yet (just Star Wars Battlefront on PC I think), but it's the future, and most movie releases now come with an Atmos track. Depending on your space and what type of roof you have they could work very well, not to mention that they absolutely excel even when used in a typical 5.1 set up. I haven't included a subwoofer as the towers have three bass drivers each and are more than capable of delivering awesome bass, and you can add a sub later on if you feel they're lacking. Just keep in mind these are large speakers, and you will also need to buy some speaker wire. But for $2k, you can't really do better imo. Just check the reviews, they're all glowing :)

yeah, I hear great things about those speakers.

so much so I just ordered the Atmos modules to add to my system (and I found a smokin deal on the atmos modules alone for 80 bucks).

curious to see how it works in my space

These are only very slightly over your budget, but I can't speak highly enough of the Pioneer Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers designed by Andrew Jones. Every time I show the opening to Fury Road to someone I see their faces absolutely light up. Not many games support Atmos yet (just Star Wars Battlefront on PC I think), but it's the future, and most movie releases now come with an Atmos track. Depending on your space and what type of roof you have they could work very well, not to mention that they absolutely excel even when used in a typical 5.1 set up. I haven't included a subwoofer as the towers have three bass drivers each and are more than capable of delivering awesome bass, and you can add a sub later on if you feel they're lacking. Just keep in mind these are large speakers, and you will also need to buy some speaker wire. But for $2k, you can't really do better imo. Just check the reviews, they're all glowing :)

I must add that this is a fairly uninformed opinion, I'm no sound guy or audiophile, I work in video, so I'm far more critical of picture and I haven't compared these to other systems, I just went off online reviews and they sounded awesome in person to me :)

Thank you sir. It is a 24 by 13 room adjacent to a kitchen. I can't wait to get it all set up

Weevilone

There is no difference between the 4K output between the $97 player I got and the $600 Panasonic player. They use the same SoC it turns out.

I already have a Sony BDP-S790, regarded as one of the best regular BD players ever made. I already have the best image processing and scaling ;)

Hopefully it's not the Samsung UHD player..

Regardless, I'm anxious to receive the Oppo 203. Mine should be here Thursday. My (good) BD player is the 103 so I know what to expect.

Sorry for the delay, but as requested I've taken some photos of the Z9D, these are all straight out of the camera with no editing to be as transparent as possible. I have the RAW CR2s if anyone is interested also, they've just been imported through Lightroom, shrunk a tiny bit so they're web friendly and exported as jpegs.

First up is the general set up / installation of the Z9D.

Doors closed

3uSxP66.jpg

Doors open

goJfjR6.jpg

Ratchet and Clank

mq3OZpi.jpg

VjaLecX.jpg

oAgNw1x.jpg

lfd7EFd.jpg

Stranger Things - these pics are just used as an extreme example to show pure white next to pure black and how the Z9D can absolutely go toe-to-toe with OLED for perfect blacks. I pulled the blinds down for this, but I kept the light on the bottom of the TV and reciever on so you can see the blacks haven't been crushed in post processing.

mlkXOpF.jpg

dzNKPoF.jpg

EOsRefT.jpg

kaKASyr.jpg

uQNFWL8.jpg

3dIEOXl.jpg

Uncharted 4 - just for the graphics... *drool*

NjaZv1x.jpg

lIyxClZ.jpg

rm47Ly9.jpg

72YaMeU.jpg

2QnbNYg.jpg

8ezqhab.jpg

Beautiful tv, an amazing piece of tech. How's the input lag? I read that it's about 45ms. Kinda makes me wish I got the Z9D instead of the KS9000.

sector4

Thank you sir. It is a 24 by 13 room adjacent to a kitchen. I can't wait to get it all set up
Wow that's pretty similar to my place actually, except you have a larger room, they'll be perfect :D Let me know how you go!

What is this Atmos you guys are talking about? I've seen that word before but I have no idea what it is. Why is it the future?
Atmos is a new form of surround sound that adds height channel for even greater immersion. So in terms of home cinema 5.1 surround turns into 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 (5 speakers, 1 subwoofer and 2 or 4 height channels) There is two ways to achieve this, either by putting speakers in your roof, or by bouncing sound off the roof with angled upward firing drivers which is what the Pioneer speakers do. If you're interested check out this video where Andrew Jones, the designer, explains it all, the guy is a genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBHDtPu9UJk

Beautiful tv, an amazing piece of tech. How's the input lag? I read that it's about 45ms. Kinda makes me wish I got the Z9D instead of the KS9000.
Yeah, they've done an amazing job with it, it's a beautiful set. Input lag is great! 26ms when 4K / 4K HDR is output to the TV according to the hdtvpolska review, and around 36ms I believe when 1080p is sent to the TV. Both the XB1 S and PS4 Pro output in 4K, so it's 26ms for all of my gaming.

sector4

Input lag on the ZD9 rated as the following at HDTV Test

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd65zd9-201610164372.htm

As good as the ZD9 is, the OLED still outperforms in key areas, namely contrast. Check out the star field shots from The Martian in that review.
The hdtvpolska review tests input lag when sending a 4K signal (27ms) as well as 1080p (41ms), and input lag is significantly lower when sending a 4K signal as the XB1 S and PS4 Pro do due to no upscaling / less processing that the TV has to do.

https://hdtvpolska.com/sony-zd9-kd-65zd9-test-flagowy-telewizor-ultra-hd-z-direct-led-i-hdr/

You could pull out any key stat and say that one TV is better than the other, the truth is they both excel in different areas. I wouldn't be so quick to say the Z9D loses out on contrast though ;)

The Beard

The hdtvpolska review tests input lag when sending a 4K signal (27ms) as well as 1080p (41ms), and input lag is significantly lower when sending a 4K signal as the XB1 S and PS4 Pro do due to no upscaling / less processing that the TV has to do.

https://hdtvpolska.com/sony-zd9-kd-65zd9-test-flagowy-telewizor-ultra-hd-z-direct-led-i-hdr/

You could pull out any key stat and say that one TV is better than the other, the truth is they both excel in different areas. I wouldn't be so quick to say the Z9D loses out on contrast though ;)

They probably use different methods to measure input lag. As long as the lag doesn't bother you, that's all that matters.

OLED definitely wins in contrast but it looks like the Z9D has better shadow detail and motion resolution which are both important. Also, no image retention is a plus.

Trojita

Input lag on the ZD9 rated as the following at HDTV Test

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd65zd9-201610164372.htm

As good as the ZD9 is, the OLED still outperforms in key areas, namely contrast. Check out the star field shots from The Martian in that review.

Seems like the Sony might edge out in a lot of categories for 4K HDR. I'm actually surprised and now on the fence if I'll get something like this or a OLED. We'll see come CES!

Which one?

This little guy.

People on AVS Forum who own this player and the Panasonic player observed that for some reason a lot of UI elements are very similar between the players, the information panel during playback is basically the same. Most people believe this is because the SoC used by both players for decoding the stream are identical. The Philips player is noticeably lacking in some things compared to the Panasonic, such as in the number of apps available and general UI performance is worse. But it all comes down to who cares if the actual playback of 4K UHD BDs is identical?

For $97 it was the Steal of Black Friday this year.

Hopefully it's not the Samsung UHD player..

Regardless, I'm anxious to receive the Oppo 203. Mine should be here Thursday. My (good) BD player is the 103 so I know what to expect.

I actually had the Samsung player and found some critical issues with the picture quality of that player. Specifically it has some serious problems with the downscaling of HDR to SDR on non-HDR TVs. I bought it, got the Philips, found the Philips better for the half the price, and returned the Samsung.

But do let us know how the Oppo is with playback of regular BDs and DVDs, the Oppo players are known for amazing quality upscaling and I expect this new player to continue that reputation.

Sorry for the delay, but as requested I've taken some photos of the Z9D, these are all straight out of the camera with no editing to be as transparent as possible. I have the RAW CR2s if anyone is interested also, they've just been imported through Lightroom, shrunk a tiny bit so they're web friendly and exported as jpegs.

First up is the general set up / installation of the Z9D.

Doors closed

3uSxP66.jpg

Doors open

goJfjR6.jpg

Ratchet and Clank

mq3OZpi.jpg

VjaLecX.jpg

oAgNw1x.jpg

lfd7EFd.jpg

Stranger Things - these pics are just used as an extreme example to show pure white next to pure black and how the Z9D can absolutely go toe-to-toe with OLED for perfect blacks. I pulled the blinds down for this, but I kept the light on the bottom of the TV and reciever on so you can see the blacks haven't been crushed in post processing.

mlkXOpF.jpg

dzNKPoF.jpg

EOsRefT.jpg

kaKASyr.jpg

uQNFWL8.jpg

3dIEOXl.jpg

Uncharted 4 - just for the graphics... *drool*

NjaZv1x.jpg

lIyxClZ.jpg

rm47Ly9.jpg

72YaMeU.jpg

2QnbNYg.jpg

8ezqhab.jpg

Does the Z9D support Motionflow Impulse (backlight strobing) when set to Game Mode?

Nielm

Well, I just bought a used Pioneer Kuro KRP-500A for £450. It included everything but the stand. I think it was a good purchase. The Sony ZD9 would be my dream TV, but it's nearly £4,000..

However, it is in perfect condition and has been professionally ISF-calibrated. No red tint to the blacks.

It looks very similar to this:
yepbytjsyz.png
yesssss2msub.png

robo

Normally how long after CES do the new products start to filter out.

Waiting on the new Panasonic TV's for 2017.

55 or 60inch version

Got a Pioneer Kuro at the mo so its got to be a decent one to make me move up.

55 or 60inch version

I think generally 3-5 months or something. Usually new sets come out during the spring from what I heard.

BumRush

55 or 60inch version

I think last year's LGs started rolling out in March, so you're looking at 2-3 months for production-line TVs.

A bit OT but does anyone have recommendation for a soundbar/base to go with the Samsung ks7000/8000. Would be looking to spend around £100 or £150.

Marmelade

I wouldn't be so quick to say the Z9D loses out on contrast though ;)

You can't beat native infinite contrast
The Z9D blacks look to be great but Sony has to resort to some "trickery" to achieve those and it can have a bad result in some (select) scenes
martian.jpg

The Martian Blu-ray opening scene. Left: LG OLED; Right: Sony Z9D

Still, like you said, I'm also pretty sure the Sony does some other things better
Their video processing and upscaling might be the best
And that peak brightness in HDR must be something
I could understand people choosing the Z9D over an OLED, and I hate LED TVs

robo

Those Pioneers in UK work out at £2500, lol

New 4K tv, new amp, new speakers, new 4KUHD player (thanks Sony you dimwits) around £5K and a little, hmm maybe do a bit at a time :(

watching 4K sure is expensive!!

SOLDIER

LG OLED E6 question: Why do people seem to prefer the default Gamma value (2.2)?

On the Xbox One this seems to darken the picture quite a bit, especially on Killer Instinct (Jago's hair fades into the background during VS screens). And yes, I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct Black Level and RGB setting on the console.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN

For somebody who is not an "audiophile/sound guy", you sure have great instincts. For the price, the Pioneer Elite speakers have some of the best sound quality, hands down in my opinion. Finish it off with a good Rythmik Subwoofer and you are good to go.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
LG OLED E6 question: Why do people seem to prefer the default Gamma value (2.2)?

On the Xbox One this seems to darken the picture quite a bit, especially on Killer Instinct (Jago's hair fades into the background during VS screens). And yes, I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct Black Level and RGB setting on the console.

Isn't the Xbox messed up in regards to gamma?

Dave_6

No denying that the Z9D looks amazing. It would honestly be hard for me to decide between it and an OLED if it wasn't so expensive.

Well, I just bought a used Pioneer Kuro KRP-500A for £450. It included everything but the stand. I think it was a good purchase. The Sony ZD9 would be my dream TV, but it's nearly £4,000..

However, it is in perfect condition and has been professionally ISF-calibrated. No red tint to the blacks.

It looks very similar to this:
yepbytjsyz.png
yesssss2msub.png

Nice! I seriously need to get my 6020 calibrated. Mine has a lot of hours on it so needless to say the black levels are elevated and they do have the reddish tint.

BumRush

A bit OT but does anyone have recommendation for a soundbar/base to go with the Samsung ks7000/8000. Would be looking to spend around £100 or £150.

Look at the Vizio sound bar / sub combos that are in that price range. I have one and it gets the job done for that price.

Trojita

This little guy.

People on AVS Forum who own this player and the Panasonic player observed that for some reason a lot of UI elements are very similar between the players, the information panel during playback is basically the same. Most people believe this is because the SoC used by both players for decoding the stream are identical. The Philips player is noticeably lacking in some things compared to the Panasonic, such as in the number of apps available and general UI performance is worse. But it all comes down to who cares if the actual playback of 4K UHD BDs is identical?

For $97 it was the Steal of Black Friday this year.

Shiiiiiiiet. Was wondering because I was trying to get a 4K Blu-ray player for my parents. They are getting a 65" KS8000 this week or next week. They are upgrading from a very reliable ten year old Samsung 52" 1080p set. Was about to just get the Samsung one but didn't like the price and I saw some reviews were mentioning PQ problems. I wasn't sure how valid those concerns were.

holygeesus

Banned

I actually prefer 2.4 and have calibrated my B6 to that setting. It helps stop crushing of black detail as well as letting you keep brightness set low enough, that near black issues aren't problematic.

The Beard

I have no idea, that would be news to me.

If that's the case, then I'm right to switch to 1.9 for Gamma?

2.2 shouldn't be crushing blacks at all. I would double check all your settings to find the actual problem.

1.9 would look washed out as fuck on my current sets.

So I picked up a B6, and I'd like to attempt calibrating it, but I don't really know where to start. I've heard of the Disney WOW discs, but that's about it..the issue is the only blu ray player I own is my video game consoles currently so do I calibrate in Game mode? Expert (Dark Room) mode? Do I take whatever settings I get from the calibration and apply it to the Apple TV input (where I do a majority of my media consumption)? Any help is appreciated!

To be honest I've been pretty happy with the out of box experience with some minor adjustments to the trumotion settings, but if my set can do a bit more, I'd like to try to get there.

Lady Gaia

So I picked up a B6, and I'd like to attempt calibrating it, but I don't really know where to start. I've heard of the Disney WOW discs, but that's about it..the issue is the only blu ray player I own is my video game consoles currently so do I calibrate in Game mode?

I'm not familiar enough with the LG OLEDs to say for certain, but generally speaking something like WOW calibration is just going to address brightness, contrast, and gamma. All of the resulting settings should apply just fine across all of your inputs and give you a solid experience.

Settings that wouldn't necessarily be available in Game mode usually have to do with motion compensation or advanced color balancing like the 10-point white balance on Samsung sets. None of this is going to be touched during the basic WOW calibration process.

holygeesus

Banned
So I picked up a B6, and I'd like to attempt calibrating it, but I don't really know where to start. I've heard of the Disney WOW discs, but that's about it..the issue is the only blu ray player I own is my video game consoles currently so do I calibrate in Game mode? Expert (Dark Room) mode? Do I take whatever settings I get from the calibration and apply it to the Apple TV input (where I do a majority of my media consumption)? Any help is appreciated!

To be honest I've been pretty happy with the out of box experience with some minor adjustments to the trumotion settings, but if my set can do a bit more, I'd like to try to get there.

ISF Dark and Bright are pretty great out of the box settings.

SOLDIER

2.2 shouldn't be crushing blacks at all. I would double check all your settings to find the actual problem.

1.9 would look washed out as fuck on my current sets.

I'm only asking in regards to the Xbox One.

Someone said that console had gamma problems so now I'm curious.

b0bbyJ03

Looks incredible but which 4K TVs currently out support HFR?

HFR is anything over the standard for film. For example, The Hobbit was considered HFR and its 48 fps. Yes, its true that LG is testing higher than 60 fps HFR, but in this case Meridian is being output at 60fps and is also considered HFR so any HDR TV right now should be able to see already see it already cause they all output at minimum 60 hz and can do 60fps..

Think of it as HD. There was initially 720p, 1080i, and 1080p, yet we considered all of those resolutions HD. Same goes for HFR but it will refer to higher frame rates than the standard 24 fps.

Top Bottom