• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Chivalry Sexist? (The modern version)

First off, before we start, I want to make a clarification: I'm not talking about "the medieval knightly system with its religious, moral, and social code" (src: Google). I am talking about the modern definition: "courteous behavior, especially that of a man toward women" (src: also Google) Emphasis on especially.

Now, an anecdote, from tonight: We've got a new guy on our crew, one that I sort of identify with. I work in a field (golf course management) that doesn't attract many nerds like myself. You find a ton of guys that like golf a ton, many outdoors-men, that sort of thing. But this new guy, let's say Jeff, is way into Magic: The Gathering, video games, and internet culture. So, sensing a kindred spirit, I invited him out to drinks after work today, since we left early.

Anyway, we have a few drinks, blah blah blah, and I'm driving him back to work where his car is. It's raining today in Denver, a cold steady rain that to me signals that although the season has been abnormally hot, Fall is coming quickly. It's not pleasant (although in the golf industry we tend to have very good rain gear). We stop at an intersection, and in the crosswalk in front of us a slim woman in a hoody walks alone, hands in her coat-pockets, in the rain. I don't blink an eye.

Jeff, without hesitation, emboldened by a few high ABV craft beers, grabs his umbrella, says "I'm gonna help her out, see you later man" and darts out the car, unfurls the umbrella, and begins walking alongside the woman shielding her from the rain. I'm honestly completely taken aback and when the light runs green I decide to turn right and follow my coworker, who is about halfway down the block at this point.

Well, predictably, the girl is just surprised for the first block, and then when waiting at the next intersection, rebuffs him, and tells him she's fine and that he can leave. I didn't hear this conversation obviously but I imagine that after he insisted "It's no trouble, m'lady" she told him to fuck off because it's creepy to walk right beside a stranger in the pouring rain and that she'd be fine without his "protection".

She walks across the street quickly away from him, and my coworker just sort of stands there stupefied. I call out to him, he gets in the car, and we talk about what just happened. He's aghast that a girl would refuse his politeness like that. Throughout the conversation, I tell him she probably thought it was creepy and unexpected, that he basically ambushed her, and like...what was he going to do? Follow her back to her apartment, tip his hat and leave? Incredibly awkward. That was the extent of the conversation when we got back to his car.

He was sort of taken aback, and said that he felt as if he was simply doing something kind for a stranger, something "expected of a capable young man such as myself" (his words). I truly feel that's what he intended, but in reality it was awkward and a little creepy to do that to a complete stranger. 'Imagine how she must have felt!' I say. Then, after some discussion, I ask him: "Would you have done the same for a random guy?". Of course not.

So here we come to it: sexism, obfuscated and subtle, but in pure form. She is a woman, I am a man, and she needs my protection, request or consent be damned. To be clear, I didn't really cut to the heart of it like this in my conversation with Jeff; I told him to forget about it and be careful driving home. But it got me thinking. I'm a polite person, but I wouldn't do what Jeff did. I do pay for the girl on a first date, I do hold the door open if I happen to be right in front of a girl (although to be fair I tend to do that for anyone). Where do these sorts of things inch away from the realm of general politeness, and into the realm of "chivalry"? In other words, treating women differently from men. AKA...sexism.

Obviously, Jeff's ordeal is particularly cringe-worthy, and clearly he wouldn't do the same for a man, but is it really sexism for a man to go "above and beyond" normal politeness for a woman? I think it is, but at the same time, I would certainly hesitate to call Jeff a sexist. And besides that, I can think of plenty of examples in my life where I absolutely have treated women differently than men. Offering someone a coat in the cold, for example. It would be straight weird to take off my coat and give it to another guy. But I have done this in the past towards women. Sexist? Polite? Is even thinking of women as "the fairer sex" itself a sexist idea? Pulling out a chair for your date? Sexist or polite?

What say you, GAF? As a man, do you have examples of treating women differently that are justified? As a woman, do you have examples of things men believe are polite that you think are cringey or even sexist? And an even more challenging question: Are there some things that are certainly sexist, but also polite and expected (pulling out a chair for a girl, paying for them on a first date)?

And an addendum: Before tearing down Jeff as a fedora-tipping, cringe-generating "Nice-Guy", I just want to defend him. He's from Nebraska, raised on a farm in a very, very small community, and although he's not a complete dullard, his first weeks in a city like Denver have for sure exposed him as more than a little bit socially awkward. I don't think he was seeking or expecting reciprocation, like the typical modern "Nice-Guy" would. I genuinely think he was just a little fired up and saw an opportunity to be polite to a stranger. Maybe back home on the country roads he grew up on, it would be sweet. In an urban area, it's fucking creepy.

Jeff, without hesitation, emboldened by a few high ABV craft beers, grabs his umbrella, says "I'm gonna help her out, see you later man" and darts out the car, unfurls the umbrella, and begins walking alongside the woman shielding her from the rain.

That's too much. It's also creepy.

Where do these sorts of things inch away from the realm of general politeness, and into the realm of "chivalry". In other words, treating women differently from men. AKA...sexism.

There ain't nothing sexist about paying on a first date. Most men do; it's fine. And that's a pretty fuckin' far cry from doing what your dude did. That wasn't chivalry; that was creepy.

As long as your not expecting sex or any attention from the woman than no, it's not sexist. Although I wouldn't carry on the mindset that a man has to always assist a women.

Fat4all

Banned
i dunno about anyone else, but i treat anyone i don't know kindly in general, and treat my friends and family how they prefer to be treated. i cant honestly think of a situation in which i would do a kindness for a woman but not a man in a separate-but-same situation

that being said, i dont offer strangers to walk under my umbrella. id feel awkward putting myself so close to a stranger on a whim, its a tad too personal

pack your own umbrellas

I would say that it’s definitely sexist in almost every situation that can be brought up for discussion. It doesn’t really matter that it’s well intended, because sexism among other things is so casually ingrained into society. It’s much simpler to just be nice to everyone regardless of their gender.

Your friend doesn't seem to understand what it's like being a woman walking alone at night. The thought was nice but he failed to realize that what he was gonna do was going to make her feel more uncomfortable than just being out in the rain without an umbrella.

As far as treating women extra nice, I do it sometimes, not sure if it's sexist, but I'm still being nice to people in general - hold the door, hold the elevator, etc. But if we're two people in an elevator both getting out at the same floor, if I got in first, I exit the elevator first, unless it's a woman, in which case I let her go first regardless of who entered the elevator first. Might be sexist, but, at the end of the day, it's not like I'm being an asshole to men and a nice guy to women, so I don't feel bad about it.

rudger

Generally, no.

OP, your friend just took it way too far.

Yeah. If you were walking down the street and kept ending up waiting at the same intersections...maybe. This is just a little too unnatural. She wasn't even aware of his existence.

People are raised with different levels of "chivalry". I was on a date in in 9th grade, she scoffed at me for holding the door for her. But I also know women who will judge you harshly for not doing that....or lots of other things. OP - yes, chivalry is totally sexist - or at least pushes a world view that slows progress towards equality between men and women - but it's unfortunately still expected in some cases.

Veelk

Banned
Yes, it is. Chivalry, in the modern sense, is basically female targeted politeness. By making it specifically apply to gender, it's by definition sexist. Is it wrong? Well, it varies, but largely yes atleast insofar that it's unequal treatment based on gender. No one is going to call you out for holding a door for women, but you really ought to hold the door for everyone, as that's just basic politeness.

What your friend did however is just an inconsiderate act of politeness. I know that sounds contradictory, but that's kind of why I dislike chivalry as a concept. It engrains upon men that they need to treat a women special because of their gender, not because that's what they'd like as a person.

As a person, the woman in question might feel threatened by a guy who does that because, as others have explained, it's kind of an intrusion of personal space by a stranger. He wasn't thinking of what she might think or feel, he was thinking of her gender. And that's the large problem here. Think of women as people who may or may not want you to come in and help them. And once you start thinking of women as people, do so to men as well, and act accordingly.

PixelatedBookake

Not necessarily but it can easily veer into the "nice-guy" mentality where you expect sex for your actions. Side-note: there is a friend of mine who is probably "chivalrous" to the point of being sexist...or he's just sexist. He would always goes out of his way to help women over men. Strong believer in the "alpha-male;beta-male" philosophy. Would even define himself as a "meminist." Also he really hated Anita Sarkeesian and told us would never play as a woman in games. Wait...never mind he's misogynistic.

Momentary

Banned
I treat people in general with respect. But a woman who forgot her umbrella... well she forgot her umbrella, same as a dude who forgot his umbrella. Unless I know he/she personally, they are about to get rained on.

KoopaTheCasual

Doing something solely because the other person is a woman, seems like the definition of sexism.
Yup.

That being said there is a certain level of sexism that is deemed acceptable and even expected in society. But I firmly believe people can be feminist and fight for equality, while simontaneously uploading these inherently sexist practices (at least for the time being. There are bigger issues at stake atm)

CDX

We stop at an intersection, and in the crosswalk in front of us a slim woman in a hoody walks alone, hands in her coat-pockets, in the rain. I don't blink an eye.

Jeff, without hesitation, emboldened by a few high ABV craft beers, grabs his umbrella, says "I'm gonna help her out, see you later man" and darts out the car, unfurls the umbrella, and begins walking alongside the woman shielding her from the rain.
Well, predictably, the girl is just surprised for the first block, and then when waiting at the next intersection, rebuffs him, and tells him she's fine and that he can leave.
She walks across the street quickly away from him, and my coworker just sort of stands there stupefied.

So unpromted and unrequested, he went up to a random woman crossing the street and just started following her for a block until the next intersection?

Chivalry may or may not be sexist. But that is not chivalry, that's honestly kind of creepy and weird.

Servbot24

Banned
I hold the door open for women to let them go through first, since my mom was always telling me to do that growing up. I think that's pretty much the only "chivalrous" thing I do though.

I wouldn't do what your friend did even if he meant well. I agree that it's creepy. If I knew her personally and she was someone I saw on a regular basis, then I might give her my umbrella. But I still wouldn't try walking home with her.

Yeah, he really needs to look at it from the woman's perspective. A guy comes up out of nowhere and starts following her with no indication from her that she needs help. It's creepy and weird, and most women will assume that he's trying to follow her home and/or otherwise going to use it as a chance to hit on her. Whether his intentions are good, he needs to LISTEN when a woman says "no, thank you." Speaking as a woman, even worse than dudes doing big gestures unprompted is when they insist they must do it because they have a penis and I don't or they somehow know what I need or want better than me. That may not be the exact thoughts doing through their head, but that's what it feels like to me. Your friend doesn't seem like a bad guy, he just needs to get out of the m'lady mindset.

Holding doors open and stuff like that don't really register for me as chivalry, I do that for anyone regardless of gender or age and have seen more or less the same in other people doing it for others. The age of men placing their coats on puddles so the fair lady doesn't get her shoes wet are over, and I'm not sad about it.

At my job, women get out of the elevator first.

Just seems weird, imo.

That seems like it could be inconvenient. In my experience it's always the people closet to the door will get out first (assuming everyone's getting off on the same floor).

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
If a guy did that to me I'd probably run away or tell him to fuck off (depending on how big he is). Thats not ok at all.

Caturro

The chivalrous thing to do would've been to give her the umbrella and walk away. The non sexist thing to do would be to be willing to do that with both men and women.

I open doors for both men and women, I really don't get the people that make a distinction in those circumstances based on sex.

Yeah if you do things for a woman only because of her gender, it's sexist. Something being sexist doesn't always mean it's that bad in an individual level (like opening a door only for women is pretty harmless), but it can still feed many larger sexist concepts in society. Patriarchy is still strong and certainly realizing that women aren't some weak creatures to be protected and helped at every turn would help.

Also...

So, sensing a kindred spirit, I invited him out to drinks after work today, since we left early.--

Anyway, we have a few drinks, blah blah blah, and I'm driving him back to work where his car is. --

Jeff, without hesitation, emboldened by a few high ABV craft beers, --

-- Incredibly awkward. That was the extent of the conversation when we got back to his car.

-- I told him to forget about it and be careful driving home.
...I don't know if I'm the only one here who found this pretty disturbing but why are you both driving under influence? You talk about it so casually too. I don't know how high the limit of alcohol in your blood is in your place, but you really shouldn't be driving especially after "a few high ABV" beers.

There ain't nothing sexist about paying on a first date. Most men do; it's fine.
There have been plenty threads about the subject so maybe it's better not turning this thread to that discussion, so all I'll say regarding that is that plenty of women disagree and do think it's sexist.

It's only sexist if your doing it expecting some kind of romantic or sexual reward. Otherwise it's just being a decent person, but what buddy did was taken straight out of a page from the Creeper Handbook. I'm glad that you did talk about what he did was wrong, because a lot of dudes would have just said "Lol" and keep it moving. From the sounds of it home doesn't interact with a lot of people, especially from the opposite sex. I know it's a lot to ask, but please help the dude out on social interaction. He sounds like he could really use the help.

It's only sexist if your doing it expecting some kind of romantic or sexual reward. Otherwise it's just being a decent person
If it was simply being a decent person, then you'd do the same to everyone regardless of the gender of the person.

Sexism isn't sexism only when it's done to get some kind of reward.

If you would let a dude struggle in the rain without an umbrella, but not a woman, yeah, that's kinda sexist.

But that's like... Dite Rite sexist. Not the worst offense ever, but certainly reinforces the norm in the end.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
That seems like it could be inconvenient. In my experience it's always the people closet to the door will get out first (assuming everyone's getting off on the same floor).

It definitely has been, like I've been in an elevator with women in the back and they get out first. I guess I don't have much room to talk as I also do this to fit in. :p But there have been several times where I thought "fuck it" and just walked out.

I live in TN so maybe it's a southern thing?

I think is kinda a sexist thing. Women are as capable as men but a lot of developing countries men AND women tells you to be a "gentlemen"

In my country people have punched guys just for not being "gentleman" enough in some situations like giving seat to woman and things like that. Girls also demand that kind of treatment and tells you "aren't you a gentlemen?"

Scary stuff.

Moff

I hold the door open for anyone. Everyone does that, if you don't it's considered rude. So I don't even understand why anyone would ever mention that when this topic pops up.

SomTervo

Being respectful and kind should be universal.

There's no need to define it for "women only".

In a way that's more disrespectful because it marks them as different.

Edit: uh, actually reading the thread:

1. You don't know the conversation they had, but there's a decent chance he was being creepy or at least weird for her to react like that.

2. Were there any umbrellaless guys around? Why didn't he offer it to them?

3. If he'd followed through with it he would have basically followed her all the way home. Which is not cool. He didn't think this through.

le.phat

Could've gave her the umbrella if he was so worried about her tolerance for rain :shrug:

Anyway, it's creepy to offer help or assistence to people who don't ask for it.

Scratch that, anything you'd do for your choice of sex, that you wouldn't do for another sex in terms of chivalry or politeness is an instant creep flag.

I've adopt the way of the arsehole so I'm never accused of sexism. Slam the door in everyone's face. Never offer someone an umbrella. Et cetera.

Nah but really. Leaping to 'save the day' of some stranger because they are a woman is sexist. It's done as some archaic idea (whether subconscious or not) that women are constantly in need of a man's protection. So when Jeff sees a lone woman in a less than ideal situation it triggers him to prove his manliness (probably to himself more than anyone else) by protecting her. He has to overcome that reaction or he's going to continue to be seen as a creep.

We stop at an intersection, and in the crosswalk in front of us a slim woman in a hoody walks alone, hands in her coat-pockets, in the rain. I don't blink an eye.

Jeff, without hesitation, emboldened by a few high ABV craft beers, grabs his umbrella, says "I'm gonna help her out, see you later man" and darts out the car, unfurls the umbrella, and begins walking alongside the woman shielding her from the rain. I'm honestly completely taken aback and when the light runs green I decide to turn right and follow my coworker, who is about halfway down the block at this point.

She's already wearing a hoodie, so why did Jeff go to her to cover her? Clearly not for practical reasons. You might not think he's a sexist, but ask him his general opinion about women, then you might get some quite conservative answers :p

UrbanRats

Trace back to the idea behind chivalry, to find your answer.
(yes).

Doesn't mean it's a horrible thing, or that no woman likes it, but that's beyond the point.

pigeon

Banned
Let's phrase this differently.

Our society has a bunch of belief structures about how humans are and how they should behave. One of these belief structures is usually called patriarchy -- it's a general term for the huge system of beliefs about gender and gender interactions that we're all raised in.

Patriarchy's core idea is that there are two sexes, men and women; that men are strong, sexually powerful, and desire women; and that women are weak, sexually submissive, and desirable to men. It's unremittingly hostile to anybody and everybody that challenges these ideas -- not just to women, although they tend to get a lot of the worst consequences, but to gay people, bi people, trans people, hetero cis people who don't or can't adhere to their gender expectations, etc.* Frankly, it's also pretty nasty to the people who don't challenge them and just try to adopt them, because it offers fatally flawed and unlivable understandings of masculinity and feminity for you to model your life around.

As you observe, this idea of chivalry is part of the patriarchal belief structure -- men are strong, women are weak, men have to help and defend women. It can, though it doesn't always, come along with a lot of nasty corollaries -- like, if women are weak and you help them, they owe you sexually; or, because women are weak, their ideas and contributions aren't as valuable and they should recognize their submission; or whatever.

I think it is more useful to understand chivalry as patriarchal in that sense rather than just thinking of it as sexist. The motivation behind chivalry might be well-intentioned. The accompanying belief structure is what's so problematic.

* Race is involved too! See Fanon. But intersectionality is for later.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Let's phrase this differently.

Our society has a bunch of belief structures about how humans are and how they should behave. One of these belief structures is usually called patriarchy -- it's a general term for the huge system of beliefs about gender and gender interactions that we're all raised in.

Patriarchy's core idea is that there are two sexes, men and women; that men are strong, sexually powerful, and desire women; and that women are weak, sexually submissive, and desirable to men. It's unremittingly hostile to anybody and everybody that challenges these ideas -- not just to women, although they tend to get a lot of the worst consequences, but to gay people, bi people, trans people, hetero cis people who don't or can't adhere to their gender expectations, etc.* Frankly, it's also pretty nasty to the people who don't challenge them and just try to adopt them, because it offers fatally flawed and unlivable understandings of masculinity and feminity for you to model your life around.

As you observe, this idea of chivalry is part of the patriarchal belief structure -- men are strong, women are weak, men have to help and defend women. It can, though it doesn't always, come along with a lot of nasty corollaries -- like, if women are weak and you help them, they owe you sexually; or, because women are weak, their ideas and contributions aren't as valuable and they should recognize their submission; or whatever.

I think it is more useful to understand chivalry as patriarchal in that sense rather than just thinking of it as sexist. The motivation behind chivalry might be well-intentioned. The accompanying belief structure is what's so problematic.

* Race is involved too! See Fanon. But intersectionality is for later.
I feel like you’re making this super complex. If I see someone walking through pouring rain by themselves on a cold night I’m going to help them out regardless of their gender. Why does it have to be more than that?

Top Bottom