• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

Wools

Neo Member
If purism is what you're after, Chocolate Doom is your answer.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm playing the Shareware version of Doom through Chocolate Doom now and it takes me right back!

I remember first playing this exact game on my Dad's 486 computer most Sundays before School and I was always too frightened the further along through the levels I got.

Up there with Mario 64 as an all time classic.

Raptomex

I remember those days. My dad's business partner had the shareware version. I would play it when he would take me to the office. No sound. I don't think I played with the mouse back then.

Skab

E4M2 is probably the best map in the entire series. One of Romero's most refined works and a sort of progenitor to The Living End. On UV, it's also possibly the most strategic as well - knowing where to go and what enemies to deal with first in such an open yet crowded environment filled with choke points and crannies before you get boxed in. From the beginning there isn't a safe spot on the entire map, nowhere you can hide and catch your breath. It's great. :)

Interestingly enough, it's also the map that took him the shortest to make. He made it about 6 hours.

Lucumo

Just finished episode 1 of Doom. It's still as good as I remember it(used to watch my brother playing it).
I'm using DOSBox though, no need for any changes :p

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, after E4M2, didn't really encounter a lot of issues outside of a few close calls in E4M6.

So that's DOOM completed. Might as well go into DOOM 2.

Cant believe no one posted this yet:

What the monsters of Doom actually saw:
AJ6TEaV.gif

gabbo

Man, this thread has really put my mind the mood to take my roommate up on his idea about modding Doom for fun, see what we can do with it

Can't believe I missed this. I have a valid excuse: System Shock 2 took over my computer! L-l-look at you, Dragoon...

Looks like VJC beat me to the punch on the juicier WADs. All I can say is that these games are the perfect, immortal hellspawn of Robotron, Berserk, and Wolfenstein, and that there's no better way to let off steam than a quick run through Doom 1. My project right now is to learn the vanilla controls, which are truly alien after years of WSAD+mouse. If any of you guys are up, we could host a NeoGAF server on Zandronum with UMDX packs and other great deathmatch stuff.
Doom was never about survival horror. The occasional "Oh shit" feeling when you're staring down a Cyberdemon with only a pistol, but it isn't Resident Evil. It's about shooting big nasties with big guns and navigating varied labyrinthian levels.
There's more survival horror here than in a lot of other games in the genre, if only due to the ammo and health management that comes with knowing a map per difficulty.

Typically, he was very good when it came to laying out levels in a manner that both guided players towards the exit while allowing them to explore and take different routes (See House of Pain), but there were a few levels that were really bad about that (like the extraordinarily stupid Slough of Despair).
Both of those maps were Sandy Petersen's work, actually. Romero steered clear of Sandy's mannerisms, even if that meant sticking to techbases only.

Much as Masters of Doom is essential reading, SCARYDARKFAST is, overall, the best technical analysis of the original shareware episodes. It's very thorough when discussing individual designers' mapping styles, the underlying statistics behind even the most basic encounters, and how Doom masterfully progresses from more non-linear level designs towards more conceptual, linear experiences. I think we've come a long way in shaping the FPS genre, yet designers have only recently come to grips with the innate vision developed from within id.

Favorite Doom track has to be Shawn's Got the Shotgun, a perfect blend of a blues chord progression with heavy metal and brooding synths, all developing pretty well over the runtime. Prince's best efforts went towards his "mood" tracks, but even the metal riffs he cribbed sound really unique to Doom and Doom II today.

Raptomex

Anyone familiar with Doom Builder 2 know to use different skyboxes? For example the tutorial I used worked in a test map I made and I was able to use the skybox successfully but that seems to be the only skybox available. When I know id used images of mountain ranges for a skybox in the original game. E1M1, just go to the window and look.

NBtoaster

Anyone familiar with Doom Builder 2 know to use different skyboxes? For example the tutorial I used worked in a test map I made and I was able to use the skybox successfully but that seems to be the only skybox available. When I know id used images of mountain ranges for a skybox in the original game. E1M1, just go to the window and look.

The sky texture is determined by the episode, you can't chose it in vanilla Doom. Doom E1 is the mountain sky, first 10 levels of Doom 2 have a brown sky etc. If you want a different sky you have to use a lump editor to change the sky texture for that episode.

Skab

I'm not sure I would call it my favorite track, but The Demon's Dead has been stuck in my head for like 20 years now.

I see I'm not the only one who got the map making bug from this thread!

We should hold a gaf contest or something.

If you're making a vanilla map, you'll have to change the RSKY1/2/3/4 patches, or alter TEXTURE1 such that SKY1/2/3/4 use different patches. This change will affect all stages that use that sky (and since Vanilla Doom 2 doesn't change the sky until you load a save or start a new game, it can potentially affect the entire WAD!).

If you're making a Boom WAD, there's a linedef special that lets you set the sky to any texture in the game... for sectors with a corresponding tag. (Meaning you'll have to make a new copy of that linedef special for every tag used in an outdoor area, or else the original sky will show up in little patches here and there. On the flipside, if you wanted to have two different sky textures viewable from the same angle, well there you go!)

If you're making a ZDoom WAD, just break out a MAPINFO or ZMAPINFO lump.

Levyne

Banned
Just went through DOOM II. The middle of that really drags, but I love some of the map designs approaching the end. Now onto No Rest for the Living, which I have never played.

Added: And that is done. Some of the later half maps are stupid long, but overall I liked it. Last map was really interesting, but comical number of imps. Now done with all the vanilla doom replay....except for 3 haha

sohois

The recent Doom thread inspired me to give the game another go, so I grabbed my Doom 2 floppy disks and booted it up once again (well, not really, I was fortunate enough to have the game on one of external hard drives, but I believe my family does still have those 5 floppy disks for doom 2).

Well, some 20 years after first playing it (or so I think, Doom 2 is my very first gaming memory and I can't place the exact year) I finally, legitimately beat Doom 2. I think it was only Hey, not too rough, though I can't actually remember what difficulty I set. Regardless the game was never too challenging save for a few moments where I rocketed myself, so probably the former.

As I mentioned, Doom2 is my earliest gaming memory, yet I never came close to finishing the game. Of course, as a young child of around 5 when I would first have played it, the game was not doubt too hard for me, as well as scaring the shit out of me generally. Games would generally involve me (and perhaps my older brother) maybe beating the first one or two levels before getting too scared to continue and quitting - and this even when we all knew IDKFA . Largely what I saw beyond that was from older relatives or friends playing the game.

However, one day whilst searching through my old PC's C: drive, I uncovered a peculiar .exe in the Doom folder, which I think may have just been labeled setup. In any case, this .exe (which I presume was intended mostly for multiplayer) allowed one to load up any level, and, more crucially, to opt to have 'no monsters' turned on and have the level be devoid of life. Now, you would think this would be boring, but for a very young me this was perfectly fine. I just loved to explore the levels, go through each one finding the secrets and getting to the end. It got to the point where I pretty much knew every level off by heart.

Now, I wouldn't play every level with no monsters; there were some which I still very much enjoyed playing with monsters on, such as Tricks and Traps(08), Dead Simple(07), Gotcha!(20) and Barrels of Fun(23), though generally to have a chance I would have to use IDKFA. Still, just running through the levels uncontested was my main experience of Doom for many years. Level 30 would not work with no monsters, btw, but I would still play it often and attempt to win. It wasn't until my teens that I beat it, first through the noclip method and later by actually rocketing the skull.

But until today (or, last week) I had never actually played through the game properly. My memory of the levels had faded somewhat from my youth, I could not quite remember every level by name, but still the basic layout and many of the secrets and monsters were recallable. So it wasn't a super challenge. To be honest I was a little surprised by how quickly one was able to navigate through. Given how much people bemoan shortened game times, it was strange that this classic game could be finished in around 4 hours, though obviously that is with a lost of prior familiarity. One other thing to surprise me was the Wolfenstein level, which I never actually discovered in my many no monster playthroughs but found the first time in this game.

So that was my experience finishing Doom 2, for the first time. So many memories came flooding back as I beat each level, though for some reason I basically remember none of the music whatsoever, other than the menu music. Anyway, lists:

Favourite level: 020 Gotcha! Nothing like seeing a CyberDemon and Spider Mastermind face off
Favourite Weapon: Chainsaw
Favourite Enemy: Imp This is mostly because of the nickname which my brother and I came up with for the Imp and many of the other enemies - the Imp was 'Uncle Alan', Lost Souls and Pain elementals were 'Nutcrackers' and 'Nutcracker Launchers' and Heavy Weapon dudes were 'fat guys'.

Frame data's important for playing big slaughter-style WADs where infighting and close encounters with Revenants reign supreme (easily the most complex enemy for any situation); likewise, hitstun, speed of switching and blowback are each capable of making any weapon awesome no matter their utility (one reason why the pistol feels inadequate compared to every other gun).

I've gone from System Shock 2 to Ultima Underworld (and IV and VII, so as to be Virtuous), and the differences in rendering and usage of first-person perspective are pronounced. UU's about extending Ultima's systems into 3D space, which it does admirably and with a sense of identity—I can easily say the same about Doom, which comes from arcade culture more than anywhere else. It'd be a great service to us all if UU's source code were ever released/uncovered for future source ports!

G-Fex

I thought Ultima Underworld would be practically unplayable as how old it is. (kinda goes for Ultima 1 or Might and Magic 1, super early dos games)

But I love Ultimat Underworld, I find it I can control it and only thing that holds me back from playing it more is not understanding the complexities of things, sure I ran into easy enemies from time to time but if I proceed further in I don't know how much trouble I'll get into cause I didn't have adequate gear or magics.

Manuals used to be a thing when I was younger, too, so it's nothing out of my norm. The Ultima feelies are all well-written, which is more than I can say for modern games' lack of supplementary material. Their purpose, really, is to store information you don't want on the floppies due to production costs, which is genuinely arcane if you're a neophyte with older computer technology. Maybe the mages in Moonglow expect apprentices to learn the chemistry of reagents and the magic they can produce in combination with mantras, but perhaps they'd have a spell manual on hand when needing to work quick—no reason why the Avatar shouldn't have one!

Apoc87

Banned
You should just title thread classic doom if youre not going to put doom3 in the op. It is part of the franchise after all

Something that's really fascinating me with TNT Evilution compared to Ultimate and 2 is just the added level of detail in the levels, mostly in the human themed ones. Some areas are recognizably offices, with desks, chairs, and computer monitors. You can make out what the sleeping quarters are because there are things that actually look like beds and night stands. It's almost strange to see something outside of the norm of wall mounted terminals and random jutting metal blocks.

Levyne

Banned
I remember enjoying some time with Classic Doom 3 mod, but I never finished it, seemed extra tough since singular enemies (imps) are much more dangerous.

Guess I've never finished Doom 3 either.

Raptomex

I never beat DOOM 3 until the BFG edition came out. Half way through the BFG Edition, the achievements broke so I just installed DOOM 3, an HD mod and beat it.

There's DOOM 3 mods listed under Links.

The mods changed the title already. It was originally "DOOM |OT|"

Hah! I meant my question rhetorically. I knew there was doom 3 stuff in the OP. :D

BTW, I am rebeating doom 64 eX and I have died twice. Both time due to my own hands... so annoying...

I am also not save scumming so it means level restart.

Raptomex

I'd recommend everyone check out ScoreDOOM. They have this monsters pack thag you can download from the site that adds tons of monsters that are randomized, too. I think some are from various games like Duke. Some may be made for the mod, not sure. It's crazy fun and replayable. Plus the original scoring system.
Is there an HD mod that works with the bfg edition? That would be nice to have. I guess I'll google around.
No. I just reinstalled the original DOOM 3 and RoE expansion. I also forgot the mention the BFG Edition also had a game breaking bug I think in Delta Labs. It would not let me into an elevator to proceed requiring a restart of the game or reload to a previous chapter. If you access the elevator before you're supposed to it would trigger the bug I think.

Raptomex

This picture is the biggest thing in the OT, and doesn't have doom3 included. It even says "games" at the top, suggesting that doom3 isn't a game in the doom franchise.

It might be some peoples favorite doom game.
My opinions aside the thread is dedicated to the original games for the purpose of discussions and all the source ports and mods. Which was also my original idea anyway. It was discussed in the "OT OT" thread and the other Doom thread we had around here. I even PMd EatChildren with what this thread would be about to see if it was okay and he gave the go ahead for the OT. The mods eventually changed the title of this thread. I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be an OT or call it something else. I also think Doom 3 could have it's own OT or dedicated thread. It has a strong modding community and it's a retelling of the original game. I'm sure DOOM 4 will get it's own OT when it comes out.

mokeyjoe

This picture is the biggest thing in the OT, and doesn't have doom3 included. It even says "games" at the top, suggesting that doom3 isn't a game in the doom franchise.

It might be some peoples favorite doom game.

I enjoyed Doom 3 but I'd be surprised if it's actually anyone's favorite. It deserves a mention in the OT but it's a footnote in the franchise. The original games are the most played.

Top Bottom