• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Witch Academia TV |OT| Season 2 up on Netflix Aug 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
normie services like amazon and netflix should probably stop picking up anime if they are just going to sit on them and not sub them as fast as Funi or CR can

Amazon Germany has some anime as simulcast that are released weekly shortly after the Japanese broadcast...

Samefor Netflix with lots of shows (not with anime tho) , no clue why they make this/anime a exception

Netlix release date: June 2nd, 2017
Either way, fuck Netflix for not simulcasting this. I was really looking forward to watching this on a week by week basis with all the speculation and community commentary... Now I have to wait to binge and worry about spoilers :/

Jarmel

Banned
Little Witch Academia TV-1
UHHYVee.png

Shiny Chariot is my waifu.
Very good start. The magic show at the beginning was a conceptual retread of the one in the original OVA series but they happened to make it visually a lot more interesting through the use of the special effects, backgrounds, and visuals. I was just blown away from the spectacular special effects, a trademark of Yoshinari. You can feel his key corrections throughout the opening sequence and it made me realize how this show plays to his particular strengths as an animator. In fact, there were multiple parts in this episode that reminded me of Gurren Lagann from an animation standpoint. For example when Shiny Chariot was using her broom as a surfboard, the special effects felt like something I would have seen in TTGL. There's also more variety in the animation styles on display throughout the episode and so the episode feels less like everything is Yoshinari-lite and instead more diverse. The impact frame at the end of the magic show was one example along with the sketchier drawing for Akko when she enters the leyline.
XnM317M.png

I guess they needed that EU funding after all.
So the premise of this episode was Akko getting to school and establishing the relationship between her and Sucy/Lotte. I'm kind of surprised they made Sucy this cold but it's not really out of character for her. One thing of note is that the song Oshima used for when Sucy is introduced is something out of Hanna-Barbera cartoon. Yoshinari is a huge westaboo so I found this sort of funny as it especially matches Sucy's antics towards Akko. One thing this episode did is give me an appreciation of certain character dynamics and events in the original OVAs. I know they're a separate timeline but seeing how badly Sucy treats Akko here, does give me a sort of appreciation for Akko snapping at Sucy in The Enchanted Parade. Similarly Akko never having ridden a broom before entering Luna Nova would explain why she's so terrible at the riding lessons in the original OVA. Again it's a separate timeline so they aren't really related but I feel like some of this was background info that they're using/revamping for the TV series.
7brZX2X.png
fGM5FUx.png

All this Akko bullying isn't right!
The second half is when Hori goes to work. There's a number of sequences you can tell he was involved in, partially due to the moving camera and background animation. I wasn't wild about the forest sequence unfortunately as there were a number of small bits that weren't as fluid or dynamic as I would have liked. I feel like there were some minor things in the backdrop that could have been animated better but it is a TV series after all. I expect there will be tons of improvements for the BD release because that's just who Yoshinari is. The forest sequence is also the part where the background drawings were the best as there is a creepy atmosphere resulting from the misshapen trees, compared to Luna Nova where the change from Kaneko is more pronounced. Ursula-sensei's office is really cool though as it looks like a traditional witch's lab. I was actually impressed with the VA work for a short sequence where Sucy tells Akko to yell out a line as the way both of them say the line is hilarious.
I think the episode does a good job of establishing the characters as well as the relationships with each other. Akko is much more likable than in The Enchanted Parade but you can tell she's still going to have her moments of annoyance. The pacing is pretty solid too, in that the franchise has shifted well into being a TV series. The runtime here was nearly as long as the original OVA but it doesn't feel bloated and does its job as a pilot. Visually it's not as impressive as the OVAs but that was to be expected. I did have some qualms about how the climax scene with the Shiny Rod was handled, in that it felt too disjointed but that's a minor thing. Overall this should be a fun cartoon to watch on Sundays.

The OP sucks though. It's like an ED.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think it had less energy than KLK 1 even though it looks better.

It's kind of hard to live up to the expectations set by the OVAs though. Also I hope not every problem is going to be solved by Chariot's staff.

Jarmel

Banned
I think it had less energy than KLK 1 even though it looks better.

I agree, it's sort of like the Moon to KLK's Sun. They seem to be going for smaller episodic adventures of them screwing around on campus rather than the high intensity 'Save the World' action in KLK.

I'm not sure I like that approach nor am I sure that there won't be some larger stuff at play but this was a fairly lowkey intro.

Haly

Oh, it's a complete reboot? I didn't expect that. Hopefully it doesn't retread the OVAs too much.

Kind of. Imagine if, instead of the Harry Potter movies we got some extended scenes from Chamber of Secrets and Goblet. And then later they went back to do things sequentially starting from Philosopher's Stone. That's what this project is.

duckroll

Kind of. Imagine if, instead of the Harry Potter movies we got some extended scenes from Chamber of Secrets and Goblet. And then later they went back to do things sequentially starting from Philosopher's Stone. That's what this project is.

I'm not sure comparing this to an adaptation is the best foundation for discussion lol.

Wouldn't the Buffy movie -> Buffy TV series be a better comparison?

I agree, it's sort of like the Moon to KLK's Sun. They seem to be going for smaller episodic adventures of them screwing around on campus rather than the high intensity 'Save the World' action in KLK.

I'm not sure I like that approach nor am I sure that there won't be some larger stuff at play but this was a fairly lowkey intro.

I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Take a closer look at that last warp drive sequence Akko had through the Leyline at the end of the episode. She gets a vision filled with a lot of cryptic imagery among images of Lotte, Sucy, Diana, Shiny Chariot and that mystery man from the OP.

The more notable images include:
- An unknown witch wearing a hat with Shiny Chariot's emblem on it and wielding the Shiny Rod, leading a band of other witches
- An star and two dragons(?) emblem on what looks to be the Moon
- A mushroom cloud/possibly a nuclear explosion

Glass Rebel

Someone explain this to me in Dragon Ball Z terms.

No, seriously. Use Battle of Gods, Resurrection of F and Super, please.

Haly

I'm not sure comparing this to an adaptation is the best foundation for discussion lol.

Wouldn't the Buffy movie -> Buffy TV series be a better comparison?

I'm not a buffy guy, but sure.

Given that how quickly the scale of the original LWA short escalated is my main reason for feeling cold towards it, I would much rather have more smaller scale adventures that can take time to build attachment to the characters.

Nightbird

Someone explain this to me in Dragon Ball Z terms.

No, seriously. Use Battle of Gods, Resurrection of F and Super, please.

To me it seems like right now, it would be like getting Ressurrection of F in Super, but with a lot scenes in between to properly make sense of what happend in the movie and understand some of those events better.

Also it helps with worldbuilding

Glass Rebel

To me it seems like right now, it would be like getting Ressurrection of F in Super, but with a lot scenes in between to properly make sense of what happend in the movie and understand some of those events better.

Also it helps with worldbuilding

I was actually kidding because I haven't seen the newest DBZ movies but it's good to know that the added scenes improve the worldbuilding because that's one of my favourite aspects of Harry Potter.

Jarmel

Banned
I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Take a closer look at that last warp drive sequence Akko had through the Leyline at the end of the episode. She gets a vision filled with a lot of cryptic imagery among images of Lotte, Sucy, Diana, Shiny Chariot and that mystery man from the OP.

The more notable images include:
- An unknown witch wearing a hat with Shiny Chariot's emblem on it and wielding the Shiny Rod, leading a band of other witches
- An star and two dragons(?) emblem on what looks to be the Moon
- A mushroom cloud/possibly a nuclear explosion

Yea I saw that. I'm not sure how much of that will play into the episodes though as I expect most of it to be episodic adventures focusing on individual characters.

duckroll

There are 25 episodes. It's obviously going to be a mix of episodic adventures and a season long narrative arc.

Kayhan

Am I understand this correctly, there is no way to watch this until Netflix releases this at some point?

But the show has started airing in Japan?

Defuser

I can't believe Netflix pulled the same shit with LWA like what they did with Kuromukuro.

They should have stream this weekly like how crunchyroll does it. Not wait a few months later then release a batch.

It would be easily forgotten by then due to no hype and word of mouth.

Breads

Banned
Pretty excited about this. Honestly don't know who it even took this long to get here. Should have been the greenest of lit years ago

(note: I have no idea how this stuff works)

Anime saved again by Trigger!

CDiggity

I'll probably be patient and wait until I can get this legally. Not sure how long that will last though...

Looking at some of the pictures people have posted so far, even if the series is a bust, I'll have plenty of fresh reaction faces, which makes it worth in my book.

LuffyZoro

Episode 1

Great start to the series. I don't remember Sucy being so mean, but the characters seem consistent with the OVAs for the most part. Good effects animation, I really liked the ending sequence with the leyline tunnel.

It's great to see this show again. Easy contender for AOTS (although I'm only watching this and Ai Mai Mii this season.)

Although, the first episode had too much exposition dumps for my liking, neither of which came off as being natural or so.

Normally I wouldn't notice this, but especially coming so soon after watching last year's Flip Flappers, where all you got was "Welcome to Pure Illusion" in the first episode, it stood out to me.

Also maybe I'm crazy but I'm getting some serious Gravity Rush vibes from this. I don't know why.

Wanderer5

I'll probably be patient and wait until I can get this legally. Not sure how long that will last though...

Looking at some of the pictures people have posted so far, even if the series is a bust, I'll have plenty of fresh reaction faces, which makes it worth in my book.

I would try too, but I am likely not going to last long lol. Damnnit Netflix come on.

Wanderer5

Aaaand there I went lol.

Still putting some thoughts together, but man LWA style still continues to be wonderful, even with the unsurprisingly slight dip in quality. And did
I see a fish witch among the faculty at the ceremony lol?

Qurupeke

Little Witch Academia 1

Somewhat less flashy than I hoped and a lot more talking than I'd like, understandably so, but still wonderful and it nails why I loved the series. The animation makes everything lively and Akko's goofy or cheerful expressions are such a joy to watch. The show reminded me a lot of Flip Flapper's good side, and hopefully it stays that way.

Sucy is... very bad. She was always the weird one and borderline creepy, but this time she seemed mean. Though I suppose she was sort of redeemed and the trio will grow closer.

Dave1988

While not as stellar as the LWA OVAs production-wise (which is understandable), the first episode of the TV series had me hooked from the start to finish, and I can only hope that they'll manage to maintain this quality throughout the series. Can't wait for the next ep!

Meffer

So, i guess the original movies are not canon?

I'd say half&half, Akko found the Shining Rod in the first episode while she found it in the first OVA. I would say that the OVAs' events would happen off camera in the TV series.

Andrew J.

Episode 01

Looks really great, tons of great goofy Akko faces. By its very nature the episode can't help retreading some ground from the OVA, but it does a better job putting the characters and the world into places that can undergo various arcs.

Anime is saved.

Eusis

Netflix needs to remember that you shouldn't treat a CURRENTLY AIRING series the same as one you produced and debut through your service. It's fine to treat House of Cards or Bojack Horseman this way, but when it's actively being aired in Japan - or anywhere really - and you wait on the season/series to finish first it's just going to make people want to pirate. Something that simulcasts were more or less stomping out beforehand!

Ah well. I'll get around to watching the second special whenever, then wait on Netflix to get this in.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Watched this with my daughter and not only were the visuals fuckin on point the story was truly decent. I like all the characters so far...no one totally one dimensional and stupid.

Me and baby love Sucy? Suzy? The potions chic. I had to pause the show when she kills that minotaur and has the super angled/sharp teeth while she muahahahahas... my daughter was dieing of laughter.

Hope more comes to netflix.

duckroll

Netflix needs to remember that you shouldn't treat a CURRENTLY AIRING series the same as one you produced and debut through your service. It's fine to treat House of Cards or Bojack Horseman this way, but when it's actively being aired in Japan - or anywhere really - and you wait on the season/series to finish first it's just going to make people want to pirate. Something that simulcasts were more or less stomping out beforehand!

Ah well. I'll get around to watching the second special whenever, then wait on Netflix to get this in.

I dunno. They treat Better Call Saul, Black Mirror, and anything else they acquire which airs on other networks in other parts of the world, the same way. Why should anime be any different?

PSqueak

Banned

I thought International Netflix wouldn't get it until the season finishes airing in Japan?

Is it up anywhere? it sure as hell is not up in mexican Netflix.

CDiggity

LWA TV 01

Yup, lost my patience rather quickly. Fix your system Netflix.

This was good, real good. Animation obviously wasn't up to the OVA standard, but still real nice with some memorable cuts. Sometimes I can appreciate cartoony stuff like this in between shows which try so hard to remain painstakingly on-model with buttery smoothness (and usually collapsing at some point). Hope LWA can keep up the quality they set with the first episode.

This was a pretty standard introduction episode, which is fine. It did a good job of setting up the world, introducing the characters and starting the scenario. Curious to see how it develops over time.

I look forward to the next few episodes of figuring out who best girl is...oh and magic I guess.

I dunno. They treat Better Call Saul, Black Mirror, and anything else they acquire which airs on other networks in other parts of the world, the same way. Why should anime be any different?

I think the argument is that anime fans have been conditioned by Crunchyroll and other simulcasting operations to expect anime episodes to arrive simultaneously with their Japanese launch, and to instead withhold episodes for a batch release at the end unnecessarily alienates those customers, diminishing the value of Netflix's product and pushing people towards piracy. Netflix Japan does release anime episodes simultaneously with their TV broadcast, so the people running that territory's operations do understand what anime fans want. I don't think Netflix outside Japan cares what anime fans think though; Little Witch Academia is just another Netflix original to throw on the pile eventually and hope some kids will check it out sometime.

Eusis

Heh, kind of did say that stuff shouldn't be treated that way actually. It does stick out though when your major competition for that specifically handles that better.

I think their approach is meant to be that rather than make you wait week-by-week why not just dump it out all at once? Which works alright for when that's when something actually comes out for the first time, but it's having the opposite effect when they're co-producing something that IS airing that way in another country, and instead we're forced to wait until they're done there. I imagine that perhaps they could've done just that with something they're making for Netflix debut in that some of it is done, but knowing it's out there for the public to consume just makes it torturous anyway.

EDIT: Post before mine got it, actually. And I kind of feel like this isn't entirely different from when, say, a big company that normally doesn't deal with a niche genre such as JRPGs has one thrown at it, like Nintendo at times or even some like Sega and Bandai Namco before (one way or another) that basically became their bread and butter anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom